Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

True, but I think there are ways around that. The one that leaps to mind for me would be to have 4-Mudra Ninjutsus be stances or similar mutually exclusive long-duration powers. Stuff you'd only activate a small number of times relative to everything else. Your right though it'd require some care, if only cause making 4 mudra moves efficient would be hard if they worked like existing Ninjutsu.

I don't think they need to add a fourth mudra to add more ninjutsu abilities; there are ninjutsu that have multiple possible combinations. Just split those options off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

Mister Olympus posted:

I don't think they need to add a fourth mudra to add more ninjutsu abilities; there are ninjutsu that have multiple possible combinations. Just split those options off.

They could also add a fourth mudra but not 4 mudra long abilities, which would only add 2 or 3 abilities, without changing earlier combinations and potentially messing people up

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Mithross posted:

They could also add a fourth mudra but not 4 mudra long abilities, which would only add 2 or 3 abilities, without changing earlier combinations and potentially messing people up

This is the most likely thing if they are ever to add to mudra's. Another idea would be a mudra 'spread' ability, to save a particular mudra for later use. But it wouldn't surprise me if they stick with more things like Iron Jaws which refresh dots in one button.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The only classes I would expect and hope to receive significant changes would be paladin and white mage, since they're the only two classes that don't really have a "gimmick" like a secondary resource to manage.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

I'm just curious what they'll call Fire V in the Japanese version. Have they ever gone higher than -ja spells?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Fister Roboto posted:

The only classes I would expect and hope to receive significant changes would be paladin and white mage, since they're the only two classes that don't really have a "gimmick" like a secondary resource to manage.

Paladin's gimmick is tank with a block mechanic and a side of support, but yeah they could give it more support options in the future.

Simplicity can be it's own gimmick though (especially when everyone else kind of has one.)

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'

vOv posted:

I'm just curious what they'll call Fire V in the Japanese version. Have they ever gone higher than -ja spells?

I really hope we don't get tier V spells, 4.0 should work on smooth-lining the HW rotations, not adding 5 more buttons for the sake of 5 more buttons.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Axle_Stukov posted:

I really hope we don't get tier V spells, 4.0 should work on smooth-lining the HW rotations, not adding 5 more buttons for the sake of 5 more buttons.

Agreed, they've done so much with traits in the past that we don't need more than maybe one or two new active buttons.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

psymonkey posted:

Do you chuckleheads really need a program for cactpot? Come on...

Just do some variation of this, depending on the free space

X O O
O X X
X O O

and take a stab at a 123 line if there's a chance, or at a 987 line otherwise.

That's literally all there is to it.

I thought I was doing really bad at this game but I realized you can hover over lines when you're done and it shows you where it is on the list and I actually got the highest score available on every card

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.
I really hope they don't add too much skill bloat in 4.0. Especially because they have a trait system that could have been used for some skills in 3.0. The easiest example that comes to mind is Stone II to Stone III.

Whatever they decide to do though, I hope they add some more bar changing capabilities in 4.0. Like I would love if they allowed me to change my main bar with enabling Cleric Stance like WoW did when I changed forms as a druid. It would make DPS'ing as a healer soooo much nicer on my wrist. I know you can probably do this with macros, but I don't really trust macros attached to skills in combat.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Maybe in 4.0 they'll make One-Ilm Punch not be garbage in PVE, or they can just make it a PVP skill and give monks a different PVE skill in place of it.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Getting 30+ cards is rough when it seems like every AI player has like three or more cards that have 8 or higher on all but one side. At least I usually profit off of my losses with the 50% bonus.

EDIT: My least favorite rule now that I know most of them, is all hidden. I'd at least like to know if my opponent got an unbeatable hand or if I'm going to stand a chance. Oddly enough I have a lot of fun with chaos and random matches :shrug:

Nuebot fucked around with this message at 03:59 on May 31, 2016

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Nuebot posted:

Getting 30+ cards is rough when it seems like every AI player has like three or more cards that have 8 or higher on all but one side. At least I usually profit off of my losses with the 50% bonus.

EDIT: My least favorite rule now that I know most of them, is all hidden. I'd at least like to know if my opponent got an unbeatable hand or if I'm going to stand a chance. Oddly enough I have a lot of fun with chaos and random matches :shrug:

Are you supposed to play with people from all around the world. I tried beating the king a few times and he only gave me money and the other guys I can beat gave me 1 ixal card and like 10 moogles and i assume the decksize thing only goes up for unique cards

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

zolthorg posted:

Are you supposed to play with people from all around the world. I tried beating the king a few times and he only gave me money and the other guys I can beat gave me 1 ixal card and like 10 moogles and i assume the decksize thing only goes up for unique cards

Other people around the world are hard too, the King is actually easier than most other people I run into. He dropped one of his other cards just now but not bahamut. Between matches I looked up how to get a bunch of Minions though, most of them are from dungeons apparently.

So what's the deal with that, a lot of them drop from chests in the dungeons right? Do they only reward items to whoever opens the chest first? Because that seems kind of annoying.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Nuebot posted:

Other people around the world are hard too, the King is actually easier than most other people I run into. He dropped one of his other cards just now but not bahamut. Between matches I looked up how to get a bunch of Minions though, most of them are from dungeons apparently.

So what's the deal with that, a lot of them drop from chests in the dungeons right? Do they only reward items to whoever opens the chest first? Because that seems kind of annoying.

If a minion is in a chest the group will roll on it like any other item. They aren't common though.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

No, minions are treated like any other good treasure, you get to roll on them. Unfortunately most of them have low chances to drop to begin with.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Failboattootoot posted:

If a minion is in a chest the group will roll on it like any other item. They aren't common though.

Failboattootoot posted:

That's cool. If the duty finder didn't take an eternity I'd be glad to just grind a dungeon for the rest of my life. Will I ever be able to just solo the ones that drop the minions? At least the ones that aren't commonly done as part of the current content. Worse comes to worse I guess I could just level up a tank class and get my friend to go healer and we could grab random DPS that should take no time.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Nuebot posted:

That's cool. If the duty finder didn't take an eternity I'd be glad to just grind a dungeon for the rest of my life. Will I ever be able to just solo the ones that drop the minions? At least the ones that aren't commonly done as part of the current content. Worse comes to worse I guess I could just level up a tank class and get my friend to go healer and we could grab random DPS that should take no time.

You can buy a lot of those dungeon ones from the marketboard too, but prices can go from "ah, cool" to "holy gently caress" depending on the minion.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

zolthorg posted:

The TT drops from NPCs are a random chance. They usually have between one and three different cards you could get, but sometimes all you'll get for winning is MGP, so you may have to beat them a few times before you get what you want. I did 10 wins a week (and however many other matches to get to those 10 wins) for about two weeks against King Elmer before Bahamut dropped, for example, but I got Memeroon's card from Memeroon after two or three wins.

And yes, the thresholds are only counted by unique cards, because you can't have doubles. Those you just sell to the Triple Triad trader for a pittance, like 5 MGP for a 1* card, 10 for 2* and 50 for 3*. I don't know how much you get for 4* or 5* because I haven't had doubles of those yet, but it's probably not much.

There are a handful of cards that can also come from dungeons, such as Sahagin, which drops off the final boss of Sastasha, but you'll mostly want to keep challenging NPCs to get new cards. The bronze, silver, gold, and platinum packs are also an option, but they have common and rare draws, too, so you may end up like me, getting 3 Baderons in a row only to have to turn around and sell the excess cards back for a fraction of what the packs cost.

I did get an Onion Knight once! :v:

Nuebot posted:

I may be mistaken on this, but I think most of the minions from dungeons drop in hard mode content, and I'm not sure what the soloability of that is.

HackensackBackpack fucked around with this message at 05:41 on May 31, 2016

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Nuebot posted:

Warriors, scholars and I imagine summoners can probably solo most of the 50 dungeons for those pets. Heavensward content pre experts too probably

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

a kitten posted:

You can buy a lot of those dungeon ones from the marketboard too, but prices can go from "ah, cool" to "holy gently caress" depending on the minion.

Am I missing something with verminion or is it just a terrible minigame, i feel like if i had an overhead camera and could reliably click on these things / not have to move the camera around a bunch I might have an easier time with this. maybe i'm trying to spam too many minions / types

e: at least theres more cute minions to collect now

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

zolthorg posted:

Am I missing something with verminion or is it just a terrible minigame, i feel like if i had an overhead camera and could reliably click on these things / not have to move the camera around a bunch I might have an easier time with this. maybe i'm trying to spam too many minions / types

I dunno, I haven't even done past the first tutorial. More minions is always for the best though.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Failboattootoot posted:

Warriors, scholars and I imagine summoners can probably solo most of the 50 dungeons for those pets. Heavensward content pre experts too probably

:eng101: You actually can't elect to do any of the Heavensward dungeons as an undersized/unsynched party, as many people found out the hard way when they did their dungeon runs for the 3.0 relic.

Gizmo Chicken
Feb 17, 2011

Yep.

zolthorg posted:

Naw Verminion isn't very good. But it's an easy 10k a week from the challenge log and if you really want the Wind-up Twintania, it's pretty easy to win all the single-player challenges by throwing wind-up gentlemen or a pile of minfilias at them.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

zolthorg posted:

It's basically a no-effort single player MOBA. So far I've been able to beat it just by sending my attacking dudes to the crystals and then throwing endless streams of airships at my crystals to protect them, or at least distract the enemy units long enough to break their crystals first. :effort:

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Verminion is what happens when a company running out of Japan decides to promote a game that only exists in arcades in Japan in their MMO and forgets how awkward that is for the other 2/3 of their player base who have no idea what Lord of Vermillion is

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I always thought Lord of Vermillion was a card game? I always wished they'd bring it over seas either way, it looks rad.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Nuebot posted:

I always thought Lord of Vermillion was a card game? I always wished they'd bring it over seas either way, it looks rad.
it is a card game, that runs on arcade machines :v:

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

ilifinicus posted:

Verminion is what happens when a company running out of Japan decides to promote a game that only exists in arcades in Japan in their MMO and forgets how awkward that is for the other 2/3 of their player base who have no idea what Lord of Vermillion is

That makes so much more sense, I was thumbing through my minions and realizing that there was a really low precedence for reuse of exact stats and effects and was wondering how so much effort went into a minigame that sits beside, 5 types of strength testers, mining and woodcutting disguised as minigames, a card game they've reused 3-4 times, a sudoku math puzzle turned into gambling, and an actual lottery.

GATEs are cool though, would have been nifty to see fates like those out in the world also. That one levelling quest in Coerthas Central Highlands where you have to jump to the thing on the ice wall was rad.
to be fair im still working on story quests between 2.0 and 3.0

Potato Jones
Apr 9, 2007

Clever Betty

zolthorg posted:

a sudoku math puzzle turned into gambling
The mini-cactpot is to sudoku what breathing is to singing.

At least in terms of effort involved.

Potato Jones fucked around with this message at 10:10 on May 31, 2016

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Oh sweet, I got two platinum cards for the tournament and the prize gets the 50%GP bonus! Shame Verminion doesn't get the GP Bonuus.

ilifinicus posted:

it is a card game, that runs on arcade machines :v:

I really wish they'd bring those arcade things over, that and the DBZ one.

EDIT: Oh man I am glad the challenge isn't to win 20 chocobo races because I'm not sure if it's my connection or what but this handles about as bad as the FFX chocobos. Winning 10 will be a pain though. I won my first one by just sprinting non-stop once I hit the last like quarter.

Nuebot fucked around with this message at 11:02 on May 31, 2016

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Nuebot posted:

Oh sweet, I got two platinum cards for the tournament and the prize gets the 50%GP bonus! Shame Verminion doesn't get the GP Bonuus.

I really wish they'd bring those arcade things over, that and the DBZ one.

EDIT: Oh man I am glad the challenge isn't to win 20 chocobo races because I'm not sure if it's my connection or what but this handles about as bad as the FFX chocobos. Winning 10 will be a pain though. I won my first one by just sprinting non-stop once I hit the last like quarter.

With my starter chocobo I hit my stride around rank 20 or so after training only Maximum Speed and Stamina, and was winning every race. Only ever saw one player though.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Eopia posted:

With my starter chocobo I hit my stride around rank 20 or so after training only Maximum Speed and Stamina, and was winning every race. Only ever saw one player though.

Honestly the only problem is that it just runs like poo poo. I was doing fine and then suddenly my stamina just disappeared. Like I didn't get hit by an item or anything, it just started vanishing. Jumping is delayed by like a full second and good luck guessing if your chocobo is actually turning until it's too late. Maybe it's all just on my end I guess, but it's abysmal.

EDIT: Now I have a turtle. Awesome.

Nuebot fucked around with this message at 12:12 on May 31, 2016

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Chocobo racing is highly connection dependent, even when racing against NPC.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Honestly it runs better than I expected it would for me, since I'm from europe. Yeah, there's a very noticeable input delay, but it's still normally playable. Guess I have a lucky direct line to Canada.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Chocobo racing isn't a twitch minigame. Actions do take a second to queue up and do so lane changes (and yes, the tracks are made of a bunch of invisible lanes you move left and right between).

Once you get used to not playing it like it's Chicken F-Zero then it is pretty easy to perform consistently. It is also vastly faster to level up your birds than before so it doesn't take a ton of effort to start breeding better racers.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Fister Roboto posted:

I would love to see more of the support/magic side come out more in PLD 4.0, give us a flash upgrade that's a mini version of Holy :getin:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Fister Roboto posted:

They have more cooldowns to manage than other similar classes I think?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I'm okay with two classes not having secondary resources to manage and just having cooldowns/combos/MP or TP management. :v:

The first thing they should do to PLD is make Flash do damage (like, 80 potency or something from the get-go, with a trait upgrading it later).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
I mean I for one picked BRD to main partially because even counting cross-class skills it only needs 31 buttons to function and I can use 32 comfortably on PS4. It technically uses 32 but I don't really even need the fifth cross-class skill and can just put LB or a food item there instead. Minuet already makes things complicated enough due to being unable to use my off-cooldown stuff while channeling a skill and my connection not allowing stutter-steps in any capacity. Adding even more buttons to finangle would just be terrible.

• Locked thread