Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
When I see an orc in the warcrafft movie, I think "boy these orcs look like dogshit, as does the entire movie."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Tender Bender posted:

The guy who said the WoW universe is kind of boring is right on point: it works in the games because the entire conceit is "a colorful pastiche of generic fantasy stuff, but you're actually exploring it/controlling armies in it". In film it's just a generic fantasy setting without a hook.

Yeah, even in the service for the Warcraft games the quality of the main story ranges from mediocre to downright terrible. Hardly any cared about the story because WoW was a loot treadmill first and foremost but that doesn't mean making a movie out of it is the brightest idea.

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

GonSmithe posted:

Or, it is a bad movie.

I have not seen it yet so I can't say for myself, but lots of others have.

And it looks like dogshit.

I'm one of those and like I said, I liked it.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I've got to hand it to Universal, releasing it everywhere except the USA and watching international critics and audiences kick the poo poo out of it for two weeks is a really novel way of building hype.

For some weird reason they're releasing it in every major market before the US except Australia, where they're releasing it the week after. (Also Japan gets it a month late, but Japan gets everything a month late.)
I wonder why they're holding it back from us Aussies. It's not like my fellow countrymen will just politely wait for it to get released here, Australians are notorious piraters.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Did forest trolls and ogres make it in?

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

Uncle Wemus posted:

Its really just orcs and humans. There's a couple of dwarves and high elves, but they're completely tangential to the plot.

And even by the weird cartoony visual style of the movie, the high elves looked strikingly awful.

edit: I don't know if spoilers are even necessary here, but I guess someone might give a poo poo about it.

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

Uncle Wemus posted:

Nope but Murlocs were in. Or at least one.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

tazjin posted:

My theory is that a lot of the people rating it badly (sometimes without having seen it) are people who used to play WoW and now pretend they've "grown out of it" and :smug: about it to make themselves feel more like adults.

Who do you consider to be the main character? I can think of three potentials

I'd consider Lothar the main character, if only because the movie focuses so much on his exploits and he's the guy who knows what most of the threats really are at the end of the movie. Khadgar is a side guy, Durotan gets a lot of screentime but he's ultimately not the main guy on account of dying and all . Garona is an important character, but we don't spend enough time on her story. She's more of a guide for the story to help progress, and to give us exposition.

RogueTM
Jul 8, 2004

Hmmmmm

GonSmithe posted:

Or, it is a bad movie.

I have not seen it yet so I can't say for myself, but lots of others have.

And it looks like dogshit.

Here's the thing, it's not a bad movie, it's not a great movie either, it's just a good movie with some flaws here and there. I don't think it deserves the amount of vitriol being thrown at it from almost all quarters.

It also, for some strange reason, looks way better on the big screen than the trailers and still-pictures does, the best way to describe it, is that the trailers looks like that new TV you friend has brought that is still set to the showroom-setting.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

For some weird reason they're releasing it in every major market before the US except Australia, where they're releasing it the week after. (Also Japan gets it a month late, but Japan gets everything a month late.)
I wonder why they're holding it back from us Aussies. It's not like my fellow countrymen will just politely wait for it to get released here, Australians are notorious piraters.

Maybe the thought process is an expectation that it will do better overseas, thus release there first so positive reviews and sales can build hype for the US. No idea on you Aussies though

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Some people speculate that because Euro Cup starts on June 10th that the country is devoted to watching soccer non-stop so it would be a bad time to release something like this.

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 15:11 on May 31, 2016

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Despite its issues I still thoroughly enjoyed it

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Looke posted:

Despite its issues I still thoroughly enjoyed it

I enjoyed watching Ridiculous 6 with friends but that doesn't mean it's not a terrible movie.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Wheeee posted:

I enjoyed watching Ridiculous 6 with friends

Dear lord...

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Film is a social medium.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

shoulda made a diablo movie instead.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Groovelord Neato posted:

shoulda made a diablo starcraft 1 movie instead.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

that would've also been rad.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

when's the Overwatch movie

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Kelp Plankton posted:

When Russia makes a woman powerful enough to play Zarya.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Kelp Plankton posted:

dont.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

tazjin posted:

WoW is roughly 12 years old. I'm certain that its playerbase included some of these professional reviewers, who despite being professionals probably aren't unbiased. The video game stigma is just hard to overcome :shrug:

There are many worse movies rated much higher on RT ...

Blizzard for the past however many years has become infamous for writing some of the most aggressively terrible stories found anywhere in the AAA videogame market. It's a testament to their game mechanics that they are successful nonetheless.

Mediocrity was the best possible outcome here :shrug:

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Kelp Plankton posted:

I could google that for you but we'd get in trouble.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Tender Bender posted:

The guy who said the WoW universe is kind of boring is right on point: it works in the games because the entire conceit is "a colorful pastiche of generic fantasy stuff, but you're actually exploring it/controlling armies in it". In film it's just a generic fantasy setting without a hook.

I think the WoW universe does have a unique appeal in its depiction of traditional, even stereotypical, fantasy archetypes in the process of metropolitanization as their various WARS make it necessary for them to evolve from the generic political and social structures of fantasy (generally some kind of romanticized European feudalism or other medieval society) into something that resembles modern nation states. They have to deal with the integration of of new ideas, new peoples and new technologies into their lives, and the immediacy of conflict means they don't have time to hem and haw about it that much. Things change, civilizations evolve, and the people living in the universe have to roll with the punches and move on because if they don't demons will eat them.

That said I don't know how well that kind of thing translates to film. In a video game it works because the character can explore and see what happens when the Orcs have to rely on the Blood Elves to handle delicate magical archaeology or the Dwarves have to make way for their blood enemy Dark Iron cousins because they need Warlocks to bolster their forces. In a movie the plot and the characters and that other business isn't going to leave a ton of room to give us what really makes Warcraft cool, the fact that that plot and those characters impact the world and cause their factions and races to evolve.

But that's just how I see it.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
I want it to do well because i want to see someone try to adapt Warcraft 3's story into a movie. How do you make a movie about Arthas becoming the Lich King and Thrall sailing to Kalimdor to fight Nelves?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

CJ posted:

I want it to do well because i want to see someone try to adapt Warcraft 3's story into a movie. How do you make a movie about Arthas becoming the Lich King and Thrall sailing to Kalimdor to fight Nelves?

Arthas's story is just Anakin's from ROTS (which granted, a lot of people seem to misinterpret). Thrall I don't really remember other than him meeting the Tauren and then eventually fighting demons.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

CJ posted:

I would have loved to see the Scourge in a movie, especially after seeing how Game of Thrones makes the effects really convincing for animated corpses running around in a frozen wasteland.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

So let's say this is a big enough success to launch the franchise

How many movies do they do to cover the series before WoW stuff? And how many movies of major WoW lore make sense to make?

Does each expansion get one film?

What do they do

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

computer parts posted:

Arthas's story is just Anakin's from ROTS (which granted, a lot of people seem to misinterpret). Thrall I don't really remember other than him meeting the Tauren and then eventually fighting demons.

Instead of doing Arthas' story, they should just get the rights to Moorcock's books and do a story about Elric of Melnibone since Arthas' story liberally borrows from that hardcore.

Kelp Plankton posted:

So let's say this is a big enough success to launch the franchise

How many movies do they do to cover the series before WoW stuff? And how many movies of major WoW lore make sense to make?

Does each expansion get one film?

What do they do

I'd say it'd take three movies to get to WoW. One movie for WC2, one movie for Reign of Chaos and one for the Frozen Throne. The first WoW movie could be about Ahn'Qiraj and the Old Gods or something.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
If you were legitimately trying to make a movie about stuff happening in WoW (rather than Warcraft, which actually has serviceable plots to steal and improve on) then Ahn'Qiraj is pretty much the worst thing you could choose, consisting of a giant desert filled with 10,000 year old insects and their lovecraftian god, as opposed to, y'know, an evil dragon, or a fire demon

Like, you could actually pitch Nefarian to a movie studio as your movie's villain. He's manipulative, smug (:smaug:), insults the heroes, and can be VOed by some suave British person. C'thun would begin with "well it's entirely CGI, consists mostly of a giant eyeball, and whispers madness to you over a long period of time" and then they'd politely ask you to leave

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

As much as I hate when a single story is split into multiple movies, I think they'd have to do that with a hypothetical War 3 adaptation. Just too much happens to adapt it into a single movie without it being a confusing mess of rushed introductions and rushed resolutions. They'd also have to roll that book about Thrall into Warcraft 2 if they expect anyone to still give a poo poo about him when he shows up to lead.

I kinda hope this film does spark a franchise, because I want to see how much of a clusterfuck it becomes.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

ungulateman posted:

If you were legitimately trying to make a movie about stuff happening in WoW (rather than Warcraft, which actually has serviceable plots to steal and improve on) then Ahn'Qiraj is pretty much the worst thing you could choose, consisting of a giant desert filled with 10,000 year old insects and their lovecraftian god, as opposed to, y'know, an evil dragon, or a fire demon

Like, you could actually pitch Nefarian to a movie studio as your movie's villain. He's manipulative, smug (:smaug:), insults the heroes, and can be VOed by some suave British person. C'thun would begin with "well it's entirely CGI, consists mostly of a giant eyeball, and whispers madness to you over a long period of time" and then they'd politely ask you to leave

The Lady Prestor stuff would fit quite well

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.

Vanderdeath posted:

I'd say it'd take three movies to get to WoW. One movie for WC2, one movie for Reign of Chaos and one for the Frozen Throne. The first WoW movie could be about Ahn'Qiraj and the Old Gods or something.

For the life of me I cannot fathom how you'd fit Warcraft 3 into one movie. The Frozen Throne, maybe, but Warcraft 3? Also, considering the abyss that the lore plunged into since WoW got released, I'd really refrain from making WoW "plot" movies.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Kelp Plankton posted:

haha yase the british meme girl XD korean ice girl XD

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it is nice to see mad dog mccree in a game again.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Batham posted:

For the life of me I cannot fathom how you'd fit Warcraft 3 into one movie. The Frozen Throne, maybe, but Warcraft 3? Also, considering the abyss that the lore plunged into since WoW got released, I'd really refrain from making WoW "plot" movies.

Honestly, me neither. It would work better as a miniseries but that will never happen in a trillion years. let's face it though, they'd conflate the Human and Undead campaign into one throughline, sprinkle in a B plot about the Orcs and Night Elves and then slam Archimonde in there somehow and baby you got yourself a stew going.

Milky Moor posted:

haha yase the british meme girl XD korean ice girl XD

Tracer's a meme? also mei is chinese

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Just LOL if you think the end game here is to create a faithful cinematic record of the established WoW narrative rather than pump out a bunch of shiny flashy movies that appeal to the mass market and generate maximum profits. If they do adapt any of the stories they'll streamline the gently caress out of them until they're barely recognisable. Also if any of the characters become particularly popular they'll push them to the foreground and rewrite their stories to maximize sales of action figures.

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I really don't see them making more of these unless it does gangbusters in America.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Surely the solution to Warcraft 3 as a movie is in fact two separate movies, release Warcraft 3: THE PRINCE'S QUEST about Arthas' fall, combining the human and undead campaigns with the finding of Frostmourne the middle point. Then release Warcraft 3: THE NEW WARCHIEF about Thrall's rise. This also essentially gives Jaina an entire movie if you combine the first half of Arthas' story and the second half of Thrall's, and gives a reason for people to care about Archimonde as a villain, the first movie builds him up with his destruction of Dalaran, make summoning him an integral part of it instead of the finishing blow, and then you get the triumph of protecting the world tree from him at the end of the second movie.

If they can hide what the titles actually mean in the advertisement by focusing on specific parts of the movie, like Arthas before he falls and Grom Hellscream being a fuckass and drinking the demon blood they can even give people who don't know what's going on with Warcraft 3 an interesting surprise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

dog days are over posted:

I really don't see them making more of these unless it does gangbusters in America.

If the movie completely bombs in the US but makes half a billion in China then who knows, they might just sub in a bunch of Chinese actors and pump out a bunch of sequels for that market.

There's already a few US studios pumping out animated feature films for the Chinese market and the Warcraft movie is mostly CGI anyway so it wouldn't be a huge leap.

• Locked thread