Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carrier
May 12, 2009

loving wilshire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TelekineticBear!
Feb 19, 2009

Rashford is really not that baffling an inclusion, hes young but he's come up with important goals in his brief senior career and actually seems to have a bit of drive and determination about him, he's also hardly going to play but when Sturridge eventually breaks in training another backup is important considering it looks like as many strikers on the pitch as possible seems to be the name of the game.

Wilshere on the other hand is likely going to be the first name on the teamsheet, and will be seen misplacing passes, spending 10 minutes on the floor every time his paper mache ankles are tapped by the smallest breeze, or arguing with referees. Imagine being Drinkwater and playing nearly every game in a title winning side, being key to their success and being further down the pecking order than that guy who had a good game against Barcelona 5 years ago, and has done absolutely nothing of note since.

Stones is also loving abysmal, it makes me wonder if we're so conditioned to shite defending in England that we have forgotten what a real defender looks like. Hes calamitous, brainless, and has every possible defending instinct that he might have ever had in his body taught out of him by Martinez.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

peanut- posted:

Having a horribly out of form Sterling as the only winger in the squad also seems a little bit mental.

Plan A had better work really well.
Rashford can also play on the wing

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
It's coming home.

I wish Wilshere was staying home.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/may/31/heather-rabbatts-football-association-greg-dyke

another FA executive might be quitting after failing to get any kind of reforms to happen

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

Ninpo posted:

This will probably come back to bite me but Rashford is the first young English player I've seen play in some time that fits the phrase "if you're good enough you're old enough".

What about Adam Johnson?

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

I think Wilshere will have a good tournament. Don't really get the hate, I wish we had a player like him in the Swiss team. Drinkwater should absolutely be going, though.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Drinkwater not going is really frustrating, he links up so well with Vardy and has had a phenomenal season...

*sigh*

oh well.

time to update the OP.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

lol

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

Wengy posted:

I think Wilshere will have a good tournament. Don't really get the hate

He's a permacrock coming back from injury and three games in a fortnight is probably going to kill his ankles, there is no-one else in the England team that can complement the style of play he excels at with the possible exception of Rooney, asking him to do tippy tappy Arsenal triangles with two direct strikers like Vardy and Kane is pointless, his other skills as a midfielder are mediocre and easily surpassed by El Choclo Jimmy Milner, and he is a midget oval office who thinks hes hard because he's had security shielding him from any reprisal from the age of 13 or so. This is why I, forums poster Eau de Macgowan, am mad as heck that Wilshere is going ahead of Danny Drinkwater.

Also Ross loving Barkley.

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.

Wengy posted:

Don't really get the hate

He hasn't shown he's even good even when he played, but more importantly, he hasn't played.

He doesn't deserve it.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Whose spot did Rashford get?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Townsend who was the only other winger in the squad

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Eau de MacGowan posted:

He's a permacrock coming back from injury and three games in a fortnight is probably going to kill his ankles, there is no-one else in the England team that can complement the style of play he excels at with the possible exception of Rooney, asking him to do tippy tappy Arsenal triangles with two direct strikers like Vardy and Kane is pointless, his other skills as a midfielder are mediocre and easily surpassed by El Choclo Jimmy Milner, and he is a midget oval office who thinks hes hard because he's had security shielding him from any reprisal from the age of 13 or so. This is why I, forums poster Eau de Macgowan, am mad as heck that Wilshere is going ahead of Danny Drinkwater.

Also Ross loving Barkley.

Don't get me wrong, Wilshere's inclusion is hard to justify, but one can at least make the case that his skillset is quite unique among the England setup; he's not just a very good "tippy tappy" passer, but also knows how to dribble and retain the ball. And I'm sure Vardy would like to latch onto a nice defence-splitting ball. I also think it's disingenous to assume he's going "ahead of Drinkwater", they're not comparable players. If anything, it's Henderson who's being preferred to Drinkwater, and there's no justification for that at all. I also have no idea what Barkley is doing in there.

Quote this post when Wilshere breaks his ankle in the first game.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Is Shawcross injured? I'd have taken him instead of Stones.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

england got destroyed by ibrahimovic last time he played so hodgson hasn't picked him since

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Wilshere and Drinkwater aren't that similar, if anything Drinkwater should have been taken in place of Jordan "Hendo" "Garbageman" Henderson. While I don't like Wilshere and it is pretty lame that he can just waltz into the England squad like this, he is still actually a better player than the other midfielders available

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Having a good lol at Wilshere being in the squad

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Nothing wrong with sending Rashford IMO, but there are 4-5 others who are at least questionable.

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.

Xabi posted:

Nothing wrong with sending Rashford IMO, but there are 4-5 others who are at least questionable.

I think picking Rashford off the back of scoring a handful of tap-ins for Man U is fairly questionable, but I don't dislike the kid.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Drinkwater was very very average in each of the England games he's played (bordering on anonymous for much of Australia game). Wilshere and Henderson have had many years of playing in the England team (admittedly Henderson hasn't exactly lit the world on fire and Wilshere is permacrocked) - Hodgson is depending on players he knows in key areas.

I think the player most unfortunate to miss out is Townsend, who did show something different against Australia in that he actually attacked people. He probably only missed out because Sturridge passed his fitness test. Barkley is a bit lucky to go, but apart from that I think everyone else was always on the plane.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Dier, Alli, Drinkwater and Wilshire would have been a loving good midfield, but Roy would have to drop Rooney to play Kane and Vardy.

Subbz
Nov 4, 2008

Paperhouse posted:

Wilshere and Drinkwater aren't that similar, if anything Drinkwater should have been taken in place of Jordan "Hendo" "Garbageman" Henderson. While I don't like Wilshere and it is pretty lame that he can just waltz into the England squad like this, he is still actually a better player than the other midfielders available

Yeah that's how I feel. Henderson was definately chosen over Drinkwater, Wilshere had nothing to do with that choice. There's still massive questions to be asked of taking players who have been injured all season.

But it also could be this:

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Wilshere is not good at football so maybe he shouldn't be in the England squad.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36420669

Buhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :downs:

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

CyberPingu posted:

Buhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :downs:

this is in no way surprising

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

EvilHawk posted:

Drinkwater was very very average in each of the England games he's played (bordering on anonymous for much of Australia game).

the job of a manager is to make the best of what he's got and the best of what he's got is drinkwater banging long balls to vardy and 9 other wastrels.

Given England have had this problem for decades I don't really think it's Hodgson's fault

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

CyberPingu posted:

"Striker Marcus Rashford, 18, is 93rd on the list, four places above Manchester United team-mate and England captain Wayne Rooney."

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.

JFairfax posted:

"Striker Marcus Rashford, 18, is 93rd on the list, four places above Manchester United team-mate and England captain Wayne Rooney."

lmao

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Without Drinkwater, who's gonna ping long balls to Vardy now?

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

Almost surprised Woy couldnt find reason to drop Vardy. Can't be having these working class footballers besmirch the 3 lions :colbert:

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
cant wait for england to implode and woy to get fired

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

MoPZiG posted:

Almost surprised Woy couldnt find reason to drop Vardy. Can't be having these working class footballers besmirch the 3 lions :colbert:

What's Rooney then?

Also its funny that back in the day England fans would've killed for a manager that knew how to play a 4-3-3 and now all they want is a 4-4-2.

Tortuga
Aug 27, 2011

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

DOOP posted:

Without Drinkwater, who's gonna ping long balls to Vardy now?

Vardy won't be playing either, so nobody until Leicesters next Thai tour.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
he said ping long balls, not ping pong balls!!!

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Wow

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

JFairfax posted:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

JFairfax posted:

thanks for explaining the joke

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
glad to be of help Jose

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

I'm glad we decided to take a 4th choice centre forward who can't play out wide just in case. Big club mentality alive and well.

• Locked thread