Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I got a firefighter Mei drop as my second gold skin. Almost have 1000 moneys saved up, not sure what my first skin purchase is gonna be. Was thinking Mariachi Reaper, but I've been playing much more Roadhog, so maybe I'll get his Mako skin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009

MinibarMatchman posted:

I think this is more my issue with turret range, I can handle bastion because it's just human error and idiocy and he generally dies quick, but man the autoaim turret with no needed reloads needs a bit of falloff at range. I don't think the TF2 sentry even killed you at that pacing.

Yes, this is effectively my issue too. Sure, the turrets aren't going to outdamage mcree with a flash bang, and they shouldn't, the difference is mcree can miss his flashbang or get ambushed before he can react. While a turret will just unload on you with perfect accuracy hitscan bullets if you dare to take a step out of cover.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Zaphod42 posted:

I got a firefighter Mei drop as my second gold skin. Almost have 1000 moneys saved up, not sure what my first skin purchase is gonna be. Was thinking Mariachi Reaper, but I've been playing much more Roadhog, so maybe I'll get his Mako skin.

I just got the shark skin from a random drop and it's one of my faves in the game.

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Yes, this is good.

E: Hahah holy poo poo the Friends lipstick pieces as control sticks 11/10

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

:swoon:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
As Mercy I find that it's usually better to pop the rez as soon as one person goes down, because you have to live to get to the second dead person and you're banking that your team's momentum hasn't come to a complete halt by the time the second person dies in the first place.

It also makes for hilarious (at least to me) POTGs when it's just rezzing the one dude.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

When I get a card at the end as Mercy for 12 resurrections I don't know if it means I was the best or worst medic

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Abroham Lincoln posted:

The TF2 sentry is about 10x as powerful and has insane knockback to it and rockets to punish you from peaking around corners. You can corner peak kill a Torbjorn turret much easier than that. If they were going to tone down the accuracy or range, they'd need to make it hurt that much more. Which maybe that's a better idea in some circumstances, but it probably edges him closer to the TF2 engineer level of game altering/stalling which I doubt anyone wants.

The TF2 sentry was much more powerful but it also signaled its location better by making loud telltale noises so you'd always know one was around before running into it.

Lady Naga posted:

Don't fight individuals. Leap onto a point, do some damage/stall until your team can follow up, drop the bubble, escape. Alternatively, if you can flank, walk into the point, drop the bubble, do damage/stall until your team can follow up, leap out at low health.

Blizzard's obsession with messianic figures is infuriating and I'm honestly surprised they didn't include one in Overwatch (Zenyatta-pic.jpg)

Winston can fight individuals but only if those individuals are squishy helpless nerds like supports or snipers. Also Reinhardt I guess because the lightning goes through his shield.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

pmchem posted:

oh and similarly, how does changing heros affect your chances of getting a vote card on the recap screen or POTG?

Seems to have a significant effect. Less time working on a certain stat handicaps you against people that didn't swap.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Winston is also great against genji because deflect doesn't do anything and you can easily keep up with him.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I had a match where I was playing as Mercy and through several freak occurrences (Overextending trying to keep people alive, being cordoned off by enemies and so on) kept finding myself caught behind enemy lines and as a result found myself doing far more fighting than healing for large swathes of the game.

I learned very quickly that people who don't take advantage of Mercy's blaster in a pinch are really letting themselves down. Holy crap that gun is solid. It's not a world-ending murder machine but when used carefully can do an astonishing amount of damage very quickly to the point that I had enemies become kind of wary about taking me on directly. This isn't really news to anyone, I'm sure, but I was more than a little surprised by how reliable it is.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Winston can fight individuals but only if those individuals are squishy helpless nerds like supports or snipers. Also Reinhardt I guess because the lightning goes through his shield.

Reinhardt will pound you into dust if you're trying to 1v1 him as Winston, but if he's low on HP and is desperately shielding, then sure.

Ironically, D.va is sort of a problem for Winston because her armor affects every 'tick' of his damage.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

The TF2 sentry was much more powerful but it also signaled its location better by making loud telltale noises so you'd always know one was around before running into it.

That is true, yeah. They could probably do more with the turret's sound design since they do real well with it everywhere else, but I'm not entirely convinced it needs it or that it would help players avoid it. The good ones who pay attention to audio cues get a little better and the clueless ones charge ahead all the same.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Torb's turrets draw a bright laser sight between its target and its location. If you're targeted by a turret, you can easily see where it's coming from.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I sometimes get salty about Torbjorn's turrets but it's never approached how much I hated the engie in TF2. In Overwatch I always feel like I have options if I take my time and my teammates aren't loving up. Getting rid of a well-placed turret in TF2 though (especially in payload) sometimes seemed nearly impossible.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Edmond Dantes posted:

There's like no middle ground for reapers. Either they're utterly garbage or they're getting ult every 10 seconds and shutting down every single loving push your team attempts by jumping on the payload from a roof and doing his stupid little dance.

I think I'm salty about Reapers. :(
Yeah I'm pretty salty about Reapers too

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Also Reinhardt I guess because the lightning goes through his shield.

reinhardt's armor laughs at the puny ticklegun, and then he smacks you in the face with a giant hammer

it does kinda work if he needs to keep the shield up and someone's already stripped his armor but generally just leave him alone

Samara
Jan 6, 2011

quote:

Deposited $150 at Mt Gox to try this Bitcoin thing out.

Stolen 6 days later. Really enjoyed my time there.

Helpful? Please donate - being this retarded ain't cheap!

Samara Investments
Basement Suite #101
Mom's House, Hometown FL
USAAA+
Why do people say they "main" someone. I mean if you arent adapting on the fly you can't be helping your team much?

I mean maybe "maining" a Mercy or Rein would always work...

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Winston is the only character I fear as Genji, I am just completely powerless against him. My mobility and skillset means nothing because

a) his dumb aoe autoaim gun will hit me no matter how much I double jump and dash around
b) if I try to gain distance from him he'll just ape-jump at me

And my reflect does nothing against him and he has too much HP to burst down fast :qq:

stupid ape :qq:

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Samara posted:

Why do people say they "main" someone. I mean if you arent adapting on the fly you can't be helping your team much?

I mean you can switch regularly but still have one character you play far more than anyone else.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Kenshin posted:

Yeah I'm pretty salty about Reapers too
:(:hf::(

Zzulu posted:

Winston is the only character I fear as Genji, I am just completely powerless against him. My mobility and skillset means nothing because

a) his dumb aoe autoaim gun will hit me no matter how much I double jump and dash around
b) if I try to gain distance from him he'll just ape-jump at me

And my reflect does nothing against him and he has too much HP to burst down fast :qq:

stupid ape :qq:
Nothing better than chasing a Genji with Zarya or Mei and watch him turn on deflect. Silly Genji, deflects are for projectiles! :allears:

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Also the only thing that gets me frustrated in this game is Roadhog onehitkill hooks and Mcree flashbang one fan kills, because I hate being stun-killed in every game ever

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Samara posted:

Sometimes it just means "I've invested a disproportionate amount of time into this character, if you would like me to bring my best to this match"

That said, I need to swap to Mercy more after the first push.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Against Genji just play Mccree.
This strategy also works against Tracers, Reapers, Mei's, Soldier76's, Symmetra's, and basically the rest of the cast with maybe the exception of Widowmakers.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

novaSphere posted:

Reinhardt will pound you into dust if you're trying to 1v1 him as Winston, but if he's low on HP and is desperately shielding, then sure.

Ironically, D.Va is sort of a problem for Winston because her armor affects every 'tick' of his damage.

Winston can still safely attempt a 1v1 against every tank except maybe Roadhog or a charged-up Zarya, because they all do damage slowly enough that you can just jump away if things go badly.

Not recommended if you don't have a healer or a nearby healthpack though.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another

Lady Naga posted:

*plays the giant russian musclelady with the pink hair and the facial scar*
"how BORING"

By this logic Battleborn has even better characters than Overwatch.

*plays the tiny penguin in the, frickin', GIANT MECH SUIT*
"Ugh how BORING"

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Mei gets a pass on the stun-kill because she at least has to work for it

arsegrit
Oct 22, 2004

Songbearer posted:

I learned very quickly that people who don't take advantage of Mercy's blaster in a pinch are really letting themselves down. Holy crap that gun is solid. It's not a world-ending murder machine but when used carefully can do an astonishing amount of damage very quickly to the point that I had enemies become kind of wary about taking me on directly. This isn't really news to anyone, I'm sure, but I was more than a little surprised by how reliable it is.

The best bit, and something that took me far too long to notice, is that it silently reloads itself as soon as you laser something with your stick.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Lady Naga posted:

*plays the giant russian musclelady with the pink hair and the facial scar*
"how BORING"

I dunno, when her voice lines include "In Russia game plays you" something went wrong somewhere.

Cicadalek posted:

By this logic Battleborn has even better characters than Overwatch.

*plays the tiny penguin in the, frickin', GIANT MECH SUIT*
"Ugh how BORING"
Battleborn unironically have way better characters than Overwatch.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Samara posted:

People say that because they play that character the most and, usually, are the best with that character. My "main" in this case would be Tracer, a character I can destroy a lot of people with and usually be a big boon for my team with, but that doesn't mean I only play tracer

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

novaSphere posted:

Reinhardt will pound you into dust if you're trying to 1v1 him as Winston

Or 3v1 him.

http://i.imgur.com/gqZN4nj.mp4

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Quote is not edit

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
By the way if you haven't yet play a round as Reinhardt in the reduced-cooldowns weekly brawl.

It's fun as gently caress to just charge everything you see on a 3 second cooldown.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

Battleborn unironically have way better characters than Overwatch.
Uh huh, sure.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

Nurulwai posted:

The best bit, and something that took me far too long to notice, is that it silently reloads itself as soon as you laser something with your stick.

woaholy poo poo.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
battleborns characters are so ugly, the art direction for that game is just not on par

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

sarmhan posted:

Uh huh, sure.

Montana has a way more interesting personality than Zarya in every regard, even if she is more polished. So my point still stands.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Broken Cog posted:

Montana has a way more interesting personality

Yelling is a personality now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

As one of the eight people who have played Battleborn, I'll just have to defer to your expertise on this one.