Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Dunno if this helps at all but:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bPH_W3j5TA&t=123s

Motto fucked around with this message at 12:53 on May 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Apparently 13,000 people still haven't submitted their platform choice for MN9. STILL waiting for my survey Comcept...

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Knowing exactly how many shots something takes is pretty common for score attack games honestly. It's also a fairly regular tactic in the older Mega Man games.

cant really speak for all score attack games i guess but i cant think of a time in the 8 bit or 16 bit megaman games where i had to count shots on a boss. I just found it annoying because the boss will stop taking damage at a point until you dash into it.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
They really should have ditched the "weaken the enemy with the buster then dash into them" gimmick but left the dash scoring system in for people to use or ignore at their own leisure. As it stands, there's no real "casual" way to play the game because the buster is so inneffectual on its own.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

They really should have ditched the "weaken the enemy with the buster then dash into them" gimmick but left the dash scoring system in for people to use or ignore at their own leisure. As it stands, there's no real "casual" way to play the game because the buster is so inneffectual on its own.

Maybe the weapons'll actually be good so we can just beeline for the NotRobot Master that gives Storm Tornado/Laser Trident/Pharaoh Shot and just use the buster replacement the whole game.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Is it possible to kill enemies without dashing into them, or do they just become invincible until they are no longer stunned?

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

TaurusOxford posted:

Is it possible to kill enemies without dashing into them, or do they just become invincible until they are no longer stunned?
you can if you mash shots at them enough times, and outside the tutorial enemy which outright disables your shot until you absorb them, you could just straight up murder everything with enough patience. Bosses however start regenerating their health after about 3-4 seconds if you dont dash into them to absorb it, and you cant damage them further once the regen starts happening. The dash's hitbox is extremely generous with what counts, you dont have to really anywhere close to crashing into them for it to count, just try to make sure you dont trigger thier regen while they're on the opposite side of the screen doing a big attack or they'll start regenerating before you reach them.
On the opposite end you cant seem to do pacifist runs as you occasionally get locked in and told the only way to get out is to kill everything. There is a part in challenge mode where you have to go through it without being able to attackso some stuff might show up there.

Ok I'm willing to admit this game might actually be fun to play. The challenges seem neat, and Im curious how Call plays since it wouldn't make sense for her to have the absorb mechanic(but then she would need it for co op so who knows).

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Tengames posted:

you can if you mash shots at them enough times, and outside the tutorial enemy which outright disables your shot until you absorb them, you could just straight up murder everything with enough patience. Bosses however start regenerating their health after about 3-4 seconds if you dont dash into them to absorb it, and you cant damage them further once the regen starts happening. The dash's hitbox is extremely generous with what counts, you dont have to really anywhere close to crashing into them for it to count, just try to make sure you dont trigger thier regen while they're on the opposite side of the screen doing a big attack or they'll start regenerating before you reach them.
On the opposite end you cant seem to do pacifist runs as you occasionally get locked in and told the only way to get out is to kill everything. There is a part in challenge mode where you have to go through it without being able to attackso some stuff might show up there.

Ok I'm willing to admit this game might actually be fun to play. The challenges seem neat, and Im curious how Call plays since it wouldn't make sense for her to have the absorb mechanic(but then she would need it for co op so who knows).

She has her own stage in the 2015 build if you want find out now:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlFH1MYIwyg

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Electric Phantasm posted:

The fight against the robot where they have a security camera feed showing a different angle of the fight in the background is actually a really neat effect.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Well no wonder I didnt see it, i was looking for a "call stage" in the videos. No absorb mechanic, though oddly they still make you shoot the enemy's immobile corpse until it vainshes.
Still hate that bow's design though.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

Forktoss posted:

I've been playing Mega Man Unlimited a bit, and it actually seems to be really good? I'm not the greatest Mega Man player and it's kinda tough so I haven't got that far yet, but so far it seems solid and varied in a way fan games often aren't. The stage gimmicks for the Robot Masters look pretty interesting and overall it apes the feel of the NES games well, so much so that based on what I've seen I'd almost rate it above some of the later Classic MM entries for the novelty alone.

So yeah, I'm pretty impressed so far. Are there any other fan games that are even near that same level of quality in that they actually feel like a real Mega Man game?

I haven't played it yet but the 26-level fangame Make a Good Mega Man Level Contest was released just last month.

Here's a list of all the fangames I know of. I'd love to know which are actually good, and which ones I don't know about.

Day in the Limelight 1+2
7FC
8FC
Unlimited
Revolution
Eternal
Revenge of the Fallen
Super Fighting Robot
Make a Good Mega Man Level Contest

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 06:04 on May 31, 2016

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape

That level looks really not fun. A lot of running around enemies you can't kill to get keycards, hovering through insta-death tunnels, and when you finally run into enemies you can kill they take forever because of you missing a vital mechanic. Also the boss looks like it takes forever.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Mn9 can burn in a fiery hell for picking the wrong Call design and I'm only half serious

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

voltcatfish posted:

Mn9 can burn in a fiery hell for picking the wrong Call design and I'm only half serious

They made the right choice.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
I haven't been following MN9 much, just popping in every few months to see if it still looks mediocre. I just saw a trailer that had like 95% dislikes. The game looks amateurish and it's coming out next month. Am I missing something? Didn't the game have like a few million dollars of internet support?

Also, no special weapons?

gandlethorpe fucked around with this message at 09:12 on May 31, 2016

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I wrote a bunch of words on Gunvolt, or rather some of my problems with it, in the dragging things down thread. I figure here is a much bigger percentage of readers who played it, maybe someone can give me some useful tips with my brain problems regarding it?

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

gandlethorpe posted:

I haven't been following MN9 much, just popping in every few months to see if it still looks mediocre. I just saw a trailer that had like 95% dislikes. The game looks amateurish and it's coming out next month. Am I missing something? Didn't the game have like a few million dollars of internet support?

Yeah that's about right

quote:

No, they've just only ever showed a special weapon off once, in that lovely trailer, for a clip that lasted maybe a second?

But the explosions look like pizza now, so that might mean something.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

gandlethorpe posted:

Yeah, but there have been numerous delays. It was supposed to come out way earlier, but it didn't because they couldn't just quite get the multiplayer working.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Simply Simon posted:

I wrote a bunch of words on Gunvolt, or rather some of my problems with it, in the dragging things down thread. I figure here is a much bigger percentage of readers who played it, maybe someone can give me some useful tips with my brain problems regarding it?

Inti Creates put full S-rank runthroughs on their youtube channel which is probably the best way to understand how to play the game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Jcb2AAdMl0

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

BiggerJ posted:

I haven't played it yet but the 26-level fangame Make a Good Mega Man Level Contest was released just last month.

Here's a list of all the fangames I know of. I'd love to know which are actually good, and which ones I don't know about.

Day in the Limelight 1+2
7FC
8FC
Unlimited
Revolution
Eternal
Revenge of the Fallen
Super Fighting Robot
Make a Good Mega Man Level Contest

The Day in the Limelight series is really, really good. I did a post about it when Day in the Limelight 2 was released a while in this thread and honestly I would suggest going with that one. The creator of the series got better at level design as time went on and well Megaman 2/3 are my most favorite Megaman games. Here is a bit more detail:

Mega Man: Day in the Limelight 2
http://fusionfangaming.spriters-resource.com/index.php?topic=36.0

Its a fusion game where you basically control the Robot Master from Megaman 2 in Megaman 3. Each level starts with a specific Robot Master (with the level edited to take advantage of that Robot Master abilities along with some new gameplay elements) and afterwards the Robot Master is unlocked to use at any time. Its really fun!

Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1Jn1GeWW0w&feature=player_embedded

Some pics:

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Can confirm that DitL 2 is quite amazing.

ImpAtom posted:

Inti Creates put full S-rank runthroughs on their youtube channel which is probably the best way to understand how to play the game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Jcb2AAdMl0
There is a way to instantly refill your energy gauge :psyduck:?

Thanks for the link!

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Have all the good MM games made in the last decade been fanmade?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

gandlethorpe posted:

Have all the good MM games made in the last decade been fanmade?

No. 9 and 10 are both excellent.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

No. 9 and 10 are both excellent.

Pretty sure MM9 was pre-2010 and 10...ehhhhh. Had some hella cool poo poo like the Wily Stage 1 bosses, but a mega man where nearly all the weapons are gimmick trash isn't ever gonna be excellent to me.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Simply Simon posted:

Can confirm that DitL 2 is quite amazing.

There is a way to instantly refill your energy gauge :psyduck:?

Thanks for the link!

Press down twice quickly in succession to do an instant refill. It was explained in the tutorial but the tutorial is a clusterfuck of tutorial text, plot and setting exposition and a need to go fast because like the Zero games, it's all about speedrunning and not getting hit.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Last Celebration posted:

Pretty sure MM9 was pre-2010 and 10...ehhhhh. Had some hella cool poo poo like the Wily Stage 1 bosses, but a mega man where nearly all the weapons are gimmick trash isn't ever gonna be excellent to me.

I still have nightmares about Thunder Wool.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Last Celebration posted:

MM9 was 2008, so within the past decade. 10 was excellent- the weapons were not generally "gimmick trash" any more than a number of other classic games. At a minimum there is no reason to doubt the game is good in a world where Boobeam traps, Power Piston,
Magic Card, Oil Slider, Needle Cannon...etc exist.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

mega man 9 is phenomenal. all the weapons are good, the music is tight, the level design is also tight.

it may be my favorite classic megaman. they still *have* the ability to make good mega mans.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

drat it Capcom, release 9 and 10 on PC and current consoles!!!

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

MM9 was a good throwback game that didn't really innovate, not that it was even trying to. It was a gimmick in itself, being a NES game released in the late 2000s. But that sort of thing gets old fast.

What I'm dying for, and fear may never happen, is a truly new MM experience in the same way the X series shook things up. A reboot that actually uses good gameplay design from this decade, perhaps.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

MM9 was 2008, so within the past decade. 10 was excellent- the weapons were not generally "gimmick trash" any more than a number of other classic games. At a minimum there is no reason to doubt the game is good in a world where Boobeam traps, Power Piston,
Magic Card, Oil Slider, Needle Cannon...etc exist.

Um, MM10 has a devil fight despite being from the PS3 era. Like, even in the era classic mega mans were being made there was still dumb poo poo across the entire industry like finite continues so bosses like Buubeam Trap are a natural consequence. Twin Devil and Block Devil existing and not just being fights like Green\Rainbow Devil is just shameful.

Plus, Magic Card is pretty drat good since it has a boomerang effect and MM can't aim up. And Needle Cannon is in the same game as Shadow Blade, Hard Knuckle, Magnet Missile, Gemini Laser, and Search Snake. Whereas Thunder wool is in the same game as...Triple Blade, Chill Spike and Solar Blast?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Most of MM10's good weapons were DLC, honestly.

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

I don't have low self-esteem. I have low esteem for everyone else.

Last Celebration posted:

Yeah the weapons in 10 are really crap especially after 9 having probably the best set of weapons in the entire classic franchise.

drat it Capcom, release 9 and 10 on PC and current consoles!!!

Or 3DS please.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Something I've wondered about is it possible to beat the Wily stages in 9 without using weapons?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The 3DS version of the Legacy Collection is currently :10bux: on the NA eShop.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Something I've wondered about is it possible to beat the Wily stages in 9 without using weapons?

Yes, absolutley. There's an in-game achievement for using only the Buster for the entire game.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
I managed to get all the cheevos in Mega Man 9 over a multi-year period and yeah i remember wondering about that.

The game allows you to use a few weapons a scant number of times in during the Wily Tower levels as utilities you have to use to progress.

So like the parts where you need to use rush coil? Yeah you still need to use it but don't you dare mess up because the game only allows you to use it as many times at it should take. So if you you miss a jump that's the whole Tower run wasted.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

SeANMcBAY posted:

The 3DS version of the Legacy Collection is currently :10bux: on the NA eShop.

tell me about the bugs it has

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

$10 is a pretty great price for legacy collection even if there's still some minor bugs or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

I don't have low self-esteem. I have low esteem for everyone else.
This dude really drives home how I feel about the later X games and overall Zero series. I knew I wasn't the only one who thought Zero 1 was total dullsville and felt like the Zero series didn't really start till Zero 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4GvPKgrqIA