Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

That's because the game's entire colour palette is grey and grey variations

Seriously, even the blood splatter is gray. Can't wait for a texture replacement!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

The color intensity is almost exactly half of what it should be in hair.

If you make a hack to double the value that is put in, color is much more sensible. For example, double 255/255/255 to 510/510/510, and you get white.

But you can't do it and have it show online, because to save three bytes of memory per color channel, From decided to make it so that they convert each color byte into a floating point number virtually every frame, instead of doing the conversion once and storing the floating point number.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 08:18 on May 31, 2016

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Tallgeese posted:

But you can't do it and have it show online, because to save three bytes of memory per color channel, From decided to make it so that they convert each color byte into a floating point number virtually every frame, instead of doing the conversion once and storing the floating point number.

~*Video game programming*~

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I left out that the sane way of doing that is how From did it in DS1, which is why the glowing hair hack existed.

That hack is on the very short list of DS1-era hacks that you can't do in DS3.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

I think one of the best things about Dark Souls has been Tallgeese posts

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

GloomMouse posted:

I think one of the best things about Dark Souls has been Tallgeese posts

Or gibbed. It's always fun learning how games work or how they should work but don't.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Million Ghosts posted:

also summons are profoundly useless for him and are not worth the health increase, unless it's someone who can burst damage like crazy

I routinely solo Aldritch for people as a phantom. Here's my most recent fight against him, which was try one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANReu4522bA

I actually sort of suck here, but I think the main thing is that blocking him doesn't do much good, if you have the kind of health where you can tank the damage a little. I've gotten a lot better since that video, since I co-oped on him a few times since then, and the main thing is getting close in front, hitting a few times, and then dodging back and to a side to avoid his physical attack punishes. I get caught in a loop on his dark soul arrows in that video above, and it's important to avoid that by staying close. His arrow attacks seem imposing, but they do one of two things: fix an arc in front of him and fire (phase 1), so if he does that then simply move to his opposite side as soon as he's drawn back the bow; or chase you (phase 2), so just run as fast as possible and they can't catch you.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Here is a dark souls secret. Honed from playing since Demon souls. Hit a boss once and roll away and let him get his combos out.

This works for every boss.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
If you've got the int for it, Great Magic Shield protects you 100% from Aldritch bullshit as long as you don't move during the vertical arrow rain. The double soul arrows are especially funny because both of them send you back-flipping for 0 stamina and 0 health drain.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Sakurazuka posted:

That's because the game's entire colour palette is grey and grey variations

It seems to share DS2's problem (although not as badly) of everything being a little too pale and washed out, with all the blacks being shades of grey. Like someone who didn't know what they were doing screwed with the game's contrast and locked it in. In DS2 it was presumably because they decided to nix the torch at the last minute and just made everything brighter to compensate. But at least there it's mostly fixable with mods.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I assume DS3 was deliberate to go with the fading world of ash theme

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
The default gamma it gives you is also ridiculously bright. I turned it down as far as the game allows and I'm still not where their calibration screen says I should be, and seeing streamers playing with what is clearly default gamma makes it look even more lacking in blacks.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Adjust your set

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010
DS3 is a bit washed out for its own good, but most of the design ques are still pretty solid. Then again, I think most of their design decisions are on point, even in spite of some of the minor quibbles I have with it (like overly long handles on certain swords). It certainly is darker than 2 overall. Some of the areas look more like Demon Souls than previous entries in the series as well - at least in terms of color.

Also, isn't it spelled Aldrich?

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
I think regular enemies have ash blood but phantoms might have blood blood?

Emy
Apr 21, 2009

sector_corrector posted:

I've gotten a lot better since that video, since I co-oped on him a few times since then, and the main thing is getting close in front, hitting a few times, and then dodging back and to a side to avoid his physical attack punishes.

Why get close in front when you can get close in back instead? Hitting the tail (which I guess is the part that's actually Aldrich) is easy and lets you keep attacking safely while he does his teleport. You can get extra hits in until the moment he vanishes.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Fire Barrel posted:

DS3 is a bit washed out for its own good, but most of the design ques are still pretty solid. Then again, I think most of their design decisions are on point, even in spite of some of the minor quibbles I have with it (like overly long handles on certain swords). It certainly is darker than 2 overall. Some of the areas look more like Demon Souls than previous entries in the series as well - at least in terms of color.

Also, isn't it spelled Aldrich?
I had to google it because I was getting confused, and apparently the T is added in some languages!

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Aldrich is probably the boss that I find easiest that gives the community at large the most trouble - everyone has one, as well as the reverse.

Even on runs where I summon for bosses I fight him solo because I know my phantoms will just die, usually to one of his jerky scythe swings. Just stay on his butt and put distance between you when he readies his arrows.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Emy posted:

Why get close in front when you can get close in back instead? Hitting the tail (which I guess is the part that's actually Aldrich) is easy and lets you keep attacking safely while he does his teleport. You can get extra hits in until the moment he vanishes.

Having co-oped him a lot at this point, I find it easier because his swings that he punishes damage on the front are very easy to dodge, but his punishes for his back are harder. The only time I get damage as a phantom at this point is from his DOT flames, or getting caught unaware by a ranged attack.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

if anyone still cares about doing pvp stuff, i definitely recommend using bleed weapons / rogue on your weapons, because it basically turns them into hitscan weapons from an old FPS. since the latency is so janky in most pvp matches, you always get a bunch of phantom hits where it looks like you should have stabbed the other guy (or been stabbed yourself) because your weapon clips through their model, and there might even be a blood spray or the damage sound effect might play, but ultimately the other guy rolls away and his health bar doesn't move. without going into all of the "why" behind that, what i have noticed is that bleed effects still hit, no matter whatever, even if the game decides the damage portion of your attack was a whiff. in effect, having a weapon with a bleed effect makes it much less likely that you ever actually miss, because even a damage miss still builds their bleed meter, so if you can keep pressure on your opponent, you'll eventually proc the bleed effect if nothing else, which does all kinds of nice mental games to most opponents. if you use a weapon with a wide enough swinging arc, you can even build bleed on multiple people in 2v1 or 3v1 scenarios!

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Deified Data posted:

Aldrich is probably the boss that I find easiest that gives the community at large the most trouble - everyone has one, as well as the reverse.

Even on runs where I summon for bosses I fight him solo because I know my phantoms will just die, usually to one of his jerky scythe swings. Just stay on his butt and put distance between you when he readies his arrows.

I have the most trouble with Wolnir. It's the one I just straight up died to more just because when I do hit the fog, it's usually too late because i'm in the middle of a swing.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I guess i'm having issues with the Dancer. I'm flubbing all my dodges.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

Blacktoll posted:

Here is a dark souls secret. Honed from playing since Demon souls. Hit a boss once and roll away and let him get his combos out.

This works for every boss.

Also make sure that hit is in the butt.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Golden Goat posted:

I guess i'm having issues with the Dancer. I'm flubbing all my dodges.

Dancer is the one I have the least trouble with. I just basically stay as far away from her as possible and use a long sword after dodging an attack.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
So far I had the most trouble with the Crystal Sage :suicide:

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Dancer took me a couple dozen tries on my shieldless run but only one try ever since.

Necc0 posted:

Crystal Sage was a nightmare for my sorcerer on NG+.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
My strategy for crystal sage is to stand in the middle of the arena and sprint to the first apparition I see, hit, sprint, hit, sprint. If I get to the purple one I stop and attack it until they all disappear and then I run back to the middle before the next set.

I think something about the sprinting from the middle makes the initial spell barrage miss or strike against terrain, as I've never had an issue with that boss and can't recall the last time it hit me.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Deified Data posted:

Crystal Sage was a nightmare for my sorcerer on NG+.

Yeah I'm a sorcerer as well. Most other bosses I'm just laying them down with a few crystal spears but the crystal sage is the only boss forcing me to hustle my fat rear end :reject:

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Jordbo posted:

You just can't have bright hair colors. 255, 255, 255 should be completely white, but in the game it's a very dark gray. So no white, gray, bright blonde, or neon hair.

That's likely it, I made mouse blonde instead of like Targaryen blonde.

Necc0 posted:

On a second playthrough I managed to one-shot just about every boss except Wolnir who managed to puke pure abyss absinthe on me :suicide:

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Crystal Sage's clones do not like throwing knives at all. He's a lot easier without his buddies. Stacked as much magic resist on too, which wasn't much since it was early game. Oh, and made sure to go soak up the big ice crystal looking thing with a shield to avoid it surprising me. It did that a lot before I started doing that.

Harvey Wallbanger
Aug 15, 2009
My pure pyro, no weapons run is getting viciously wrecked by Oceiros, of all things...Pontiff only took me like 6 tries, Dancer probably 7, I'm at like 20 and counting on ol dragon-dad. It's basically because I rushed 40att/30int/30fth and consequently have no health so literally all his moves 1-shot me.

This run has been FUN though. I recommend it, some stuff is trivially easy and some stuff is unexpectedly hard, it's a different but satisfying playstyle overall.

...cant wait to fight the champ :suicide:

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

Just beat the game with a STR build using mostly Vordt's Hammer. The only souls game I had played before was Bloodborne, and this reminded me a lot of rolling through with Ludwig's Holy Sword.

I want to try a build for NG+ that doesn't revolve around STR or DEX, maybe bows, maybe spells, maybe bleeding/poisoning. Any suggestions for something fun? PVE mostly, I still haven't figured out why PVP is supposed to be fun.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

I've got most of the bosses down pat at this point because I've played way too much. The one area that gives me poo poo, and I mean a ton of poo poo, are the loving giant dog things in front of the Aldrich shrine. gently caress I hate these things.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Jerry Mumphrey posted:

Just beat the game with a STR build using mostly Vordt's Hammer. The only souls game I had played before was Bloodborne, and this reminded me a lot of rolling through with Ludwig's Holy Sword.

I want to try a build for NG+ that doesn't revolve around STR or DEX, maybe bows, maybe spells, maybe bleeding/poisoning. Any suggestions for something fun? PVE mostly, I still haven't figured out why PVP is supposed to be fun.

I have the most fun with my sorcerer. With hidden body you feel like a ninja mage.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Deified Data posted:

I haven't beat the Nameless King. I've run out of steam to try and I already put the game down for now. Maybe I'll try again when DLC's hit.

Easiest bosses for me that gave others trouble: Pontiff and the Twins

Hardest bosses for me: (eventually beat) Oceiros, Abyss Watchers, Champion Gundyr

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

Happy Hedonist posted:

I have the most fun with my sorcerer. With hidden body you feel like a ninja mage.

So pretty much pump int, attunement and enough faith to cast spells that need faith? What do you use for weapons?

Azazell0 posted:

I haven't beat the Nameless King. I've run out of steam to try and I already put the game down for now. Maybe I'll try again when DLC's hit.

I played with a buddy and it still took us 6-7 tried to beat him. You can cheese his 2nd form with a crossbow if you're feeling dishonourable.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Jerry Mumphrey posted:

So pretty much pump int, attunement and enough faith to cast spells that need faith? What do you use for weapons?

You don't need faith for sorceries. Casting consumes endurance and FP. Just for reference, at SL120, I have 30 attunement, 35 endurance, and 60 int. You want to raw infuse because it does away with stat scaling and instead adds increased base damage. You can then buff them with magic. Astora's straight sword is considered the go to (RAW rear end), but I like the estoc too.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Azazell0 posted:

Easiest bosses for me that gave others trouble: Pontiff and the Twins

Hardest bosses for me: (eventually beat) Oceiros, Abyss Watchers, Champion Gundyr

Pontiff took me the most tries out of any boss, actually, even more than NK.

What phase of the fight are you stuck on with him?

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is it just me, or the Kukuri a much better option than almost any bow? Not having to switch off your main, faster fire speed, pretty solid damage (on a quality build), and bleed proc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Charles Get-Out posted:

My strategy for crystal sage is to stand in the middle of the arena and sprint to the first apparition I see, hit, sprint, hit, sprint. If I get to the purple one I stop and attack it until they all disappear and then I run back to the middle before the next set.

I think something about the sprinting from the middle makes the initial spell barrage miss or strike against terrain, as I've never had an issue with that boss and can't recall the last time it hit me.

As a melee player I always do the same and I agree that the spell barrage seems to never hit me at all and usually just hits the ground behind me.