Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

:pusheen:

mechanical keyboards: im qwertin here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Power Ambient posted:

the only thing i don't like about topre boards is they don't have the insane keycap sets the cherry boards get

cooler master and I think a few others have topre keys that accept cherry keycaps

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Skim Milk posted:

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Skim Milk posted:

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

Skim Milk posted:

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

Power Ambient posted:

the only thing i don't like about topre boards is they don't have the insane keycap sets the cherry boards get

instead they come with sick pbts standard, rather than abs trash

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
guess what has a mechanical keyboard

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
:gowron:

Asshole Masonanie
Oct 27, 2009

by vyelkin
it'd be cool to try and keep the cases for some of these old machines and just replace the guts with like a PINE64 or some other tiny computer

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

spring loaded membrane quasi-mechanical feel

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

Fart.Bleed.Repeat. posted:

spring loaded membrane quasi-mechanical feel

is that a ffffffuckin C64 with hdmi-out?

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

looks like prob a pi or arduiono or some other mini thing. I dunnno I am mixed on these as c64 was my first foray into the wonderful world of computeringkill me now its all like fuc kyeah nostalgia! and then I load up the emulator and play some poo poo and think back to the days of begging mom to please please please type in this 15 page list of numbers machine code I found in a magazine so I can play Pac-Dude

theres still gotta be several metric tons of these around, the timing was very conducive to jamming it in a box in the attic when moving on to a real computer PC compatible

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

update on the rosewill. it's still good but i dont like the printed keys. you can really feel the letters which is weird to me. i might check out some good caps soon.

Asshole Masonanie
Oct 27, 2009

by vyelkin
look at this loving thing

http://www.qwerkywriter.com

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

could you imagine a mechanical keyboard yostop?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

not authentic, has 1 and 0 keys

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

I like this provided the ipad moves left to right as you type.

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

theres still gotta be several metric tons of these around, the timing was very conducive to jamming it in a box in the attic when moving on to a real computer PC compatible

yes and no. chiptuners love the sound of the MOS SID 6581 so a lot of them have been getting picked up to harvest their sound chip

but it sold millions so yeah, there's still a lot around

evilcat
May 16, 2009

Why does it have a return lever? Why does it have a feed roll and feed knobs? Why does it have a regular enter key if the return lever also does the enter and they're trying to pretend to be a typewriter? Why does it have 1 and 0 keys if it's pretending to be a typewriter? Are people who want to play at using old tech ironically without actually having to use old tech just that easily confused by the missing 1 and 0?
Also why are they using the really old style of typewriter key as those went obsolete long before typewriters did for good reasons.
The whole thing confuses me, especially the quotes about it. If someone wants to kick the nostalgia factor up or longs for the days of typewriters, they're still pretty cheap and ribbons can still be found for most of them and getting and fixing one up would cost less than buying that keyboard.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

why didnt typewriters have 0s or 1s

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

evilcat posted:

Why does it have a return lever? Why does it have a feed roll and feed knobs? Why does it have a regular enter key if the return lever also does the enter and they're trying to pretend to be a typewriter? Why does it have 1 and 0 keys if it's pretending to be a typewriter? Are people who want to play at using old tech ironically without actually having to use old tech just that easily confused by the missing 1 and 0?
Also why are they using the really old style of typewriter key as those went obsolete long before typewriters did for good reasons.
The whole thing confuses me, especially the quotes about it. If someone wants to kick the nostalgia factor up or longs for the days of typewriters, they're still pretty cheap and ribbons can still be found for most of them and getting and fixing one up would cost less than buying that keyboard.

:yikes:

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Bloody posted:

gonnA GUESS ppl just used caps O and I for 0 and 1... idk.

evilcat
May 16, 2009

Bloody posted:

You used capital I and O instead.
Threw me for a loop the first time I saw it, my one relative collects and uses a bunch of various antiques, so I've gotten used to the look of typewritten letters with old typewriters, as '0' was added sometime in the early 50's(?) and '1' after that, and the letters I get are from something from about the 20's.

Also I just like to complain about hipster trends where they want to cargo cult having some old thing but without actually having anything other than a pretend version, especially when the stuff is pretty cheap to start with. It's like they think writing with a pen and inkwell will suddenly make their screenplay or terrible poems brilliant creations because other famous writers used the stuff or something similar.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

I'm not seeing enough comment on this keyboard.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Rusty Staub posted:

is that a ffffffuckin C64 with hdmi-out?

"Why do you have to unplug so many cables every time you get off that C64, Travis," Punchy said. I nearly fell out of the chair, aghast. "You got a HDMI port in that thing?" I coughed and gulped. "Hahahaha, nice one, Punchy," I said

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

MrMoo posted:

hmmm...

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

MrMoo posted:

whish is exactly what that gif is from

the plan is to put an optical sensor at the bottom of the cherry switch to measure not just that the key is pressed, but how much its pressed. kinda neat in theory i geuss, but kickstarter

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

whish is exactly what that gif is from

the plan is to put an optical sensor at the bottom of the cherry switch to measure not just that the key is pressed, but how much its pressed. kinda neat in theory i geuss, but kickstarter

its from the video you quoted. gently caress you bitch. idiot. probed

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!

evilcat posted:

You used capital I and O instead.

lowercase L.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

want your mind blown re typewriters?

guess how you type !

' <back-spacer> .

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

imagine the clicky click this thing makes

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

MrMoo posted:

who the gently caress are you anwyay. sounds like you got a product to sell. how about you sell my cock down into your throat you mother loving piece of poo poo

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

It's "3D Touch" for the Model M fans, or in other words more stupid stuff from the bowels of kickstarter,

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

echinopsis posted:

who the gently caress are you anwyay. sounds like you got a product to sell. how about you sell my cock down into your throat you mother loving piece of poo poo

your nonstop idiot drunkposting is getting tiring

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Step 1 : register a forums account
Step 2 : make 10,000 posts over 16 years
Step 3: hawk keyboards with a removable cord

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I know all about that plan because I'm moving onto step 3 in 2019.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

this. people who used I for 1 in typewriters are dumb as poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

cool that typewriters intentionally, actively conflate numbers and letters rather than seek to create unique glyphs for each symbol

• Locked thread