Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
my sexual fetishes include: erudite gorillas, peglegged australians, morbidly obese pigmen, sentient turrets, swedish dwarves, decrepit german bodybuilders, and robot monks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brennon
Sep 15, 2004

Solumin posted:

:ssh: Roadhog is also a fetish character.

drat right he is.

Seriously though, Battleborn is pathetic in every way and even pretending the characters there aren't the same exact garbage gearbox shits out onto the plates of their Brand Loyalists who just LOVE their godawful writing and deadpan 'fuckawesome' anti-humour is embarrassing. Please don't do this.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Lucio is great now I've worked out how to play him properly. Had a game where I managed to team up with a really good Reinhart and that payload got moved. I really want one of his hockey skins.

Tracer gets better the more I use her, I think the enemy team was pretty bad but I had a match where I just flitted around the zone dodging everything and got one of my better objective time scores. Come to think of it, that team must have been bad, nobody came in to just rough me up.

Also my favourite thing to do on defense is blast up to the enemy base at the start and wave at them through whatever window is there. And on attack, blasting the poo poo out of the place.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
D.Va is cute, but Widow has the best butt.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Broken Cog posted:

I still like to play the game? I just feel it's such a waste with the characterization of the cast when Blizzard obviously has a ton of extremely competent game, sound and art designers. Not to mention I'm impressed with how smooth the game runs, and how few connection issues I've run into (even though the no kick for latency and 20-tick rate issues are a bit laughable), so their software and networking team deserves some recognition as well.

The bar for meltdowns is set pretty low these days it seems.

The characters are also fun, you are the broken one.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Actually, Genji has the best butt

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Is cringe one of those words that the Internet deturps to the point it has no meaning whatsoever? Probably.

Much like TF2 and any fighting game, all this game needed were easily recognizable, exaggerated characters. I think Blizzard accomplished that. Now, I don't know anything about Battleborn, but from design alone I can't really tell what each character's gimmick or personality is. Maybe it's better in game. Overwatch and TF2, I think it's pretty easy to just look at the roster and know kinda what they do.

Even the female characters are okay. Sure, it's still half fighting supermodels if we're gonna be harsh on it, but at least they tried different, y'know, silhouettes. Most games can't even be bothered to do that.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

when I loaded up the battleborn beta it was some gross asexual furry thing making a stupid loving face in surprise at the gun it had in its own hands. the characters like legit were just stupid poo poo done with some cut-up technique. hot dog in a mech who chainsmokes. goat with 6 arms. a big guy with a small head.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Don't be weird.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I have the best butt.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I've never played Battleborn so for all I know it could have superior gameplay to Overwatch, but the aesthetic is just less appealing to me by far and I don't see how anyone can say the characters are better and more varied. =/

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
My hot take on this exciting discussion is that Overwatch-Battleborn slapfights are real dumb and you should all be ashamed for partaking in them.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Vermain posted:

I have the best butt.

Blizzard please nerf

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Verranicus posted:

I've never played Battleborn so for all I know it could have superior gameplay to Overwatch, but the aesthetic is just less appealing to me by far and I don't see how anyone can say the characters are better and more varied. =/

When that now-infamous screenshot of Battleborn was posted, I was legitimately convinced it was an image parodying overly busy UIs and grotesquely unreadable gameplay visuals and not an actually existing game.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Soothing Vapors posted:

my sexual fetishes include: erudite gorillas, peglegged australians, morbidly obese pigmen, sentient turrets, swedish dwarves, decrepit german bodybuilders, and robot monks

Okay I know which ones are Lizardman, ICR and Lozareth but who are the rest?

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
blizzard should write in-game lines better but also thats like my only criticism of the entire game basically so who cares

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Blizzard created and designed a cast that's incredibly diverse with many broad archetypes that appeal to children and teenagers with just enough backstory and characterization that anyone who enjoys the base character can take it and attach their own characterization and quirks to it without contradicting or betraying the base character. One boy will get invested in Jack Morrison's heroics, another will be excited about Soldier: 76's ruthless vigilantism. The characters are cartoony yet detailed, peppered with loads of silly quotable lines that people can shout at each other, and all are highly recognizable.

Overwatch, consequently, has become an instant classic, with droves upon droves of memes and fanart and fanfiction and cosplay and lore discussion and enthusiasm and excitement and investment, capturing the loyalty of an entire new generation of starry-eyed gamers right when the previous, aging generation is finding other occupations with their life. And the game was released barely more than a week ago.

Obese early thirties manchildren with no goals and no prospects in life: "Blizzard's writing and characters suck!!!"

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
also the update where aliens invade and unite all of the overwatch characters against them is gonna own

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Last night Genji finally “clicked” for me. After many games of trying and failing to play him successfully, something finally shifted in my brain and suddenly I had tons of success and fun with him and now I never want to play anyone else.

Everyone talks about reflecting Bastion? gently caress that, killing McCree with his own ult is the best thing. Or headshotting Widowmakers / Hanzo with their own projectiles. There’s just so much fun poo poo to be had.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Aphrodite posted:

Okay I know which ones are Lizardman, ICR and Lozareth but who are the rest?

goddamn

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Brannock posted:

Blizzard created and designed a cast that's incredibly diverse with many broad archetypes that appeal to children and teenagers with just enough backstory and characterization that anyone who enjoys the base character can take it and attach their own characterization and quirks to it without contradicting or betraying the base character. One boy will get invested in Jack Morrison's heroics, another will be excited about Soldier: 76's ruthless vigilantism. The characters are cartoony yet detailed, peppered with loads of silly quotable lines that people can shout at each other, and all are highly recognizable.

Overwatch, consequently, has become an instant classic, with droves upon droves of memes and fanart and fanfiction and cosplay and lore discussion and enthusiasm and excitement and investment, capturing the loyalty of an entire new generation of starry-eyed gamers right when the previous, aging generation is finding other occupations with their life. And the game was released barely more than a week ago.

Obese early thirties manchildren with no goals and no prospects in life: "Blizzard's writing and characters suck!!!"

its ok that blizzard did one thing not-well

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Soothing Vapors posted:

my sexual fetishes include: morbidly obese pigmen

I knew you were into me

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
max sounded weird in mad max fury road its hot garbage and not actually an amazing movie with a small flaw that doesnt impact it that much

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Soothing Vapors posted:

reaper's entire existence is also justified by Tracer intoning "DEATH COMES" when she murders him

Reaper would be perfect if the legendary skin had mariachi music playing over his voice lines when he ults.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
People think Gearbox writing is good, writing I will remind you which is written by a loser who bullied his wife into an open relationship, couldn't get laid while his wife hosed the whole town, got jealous, complained about it on twitter and got dumped.

People who like gearbox writing should be shot.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

CodfishCartographer posted:

Last night Genji finally “clicked” for me. After many games of trying and failing to play him successfully, something finally shifted in my brain and suddenly I had tons of success and fun with him and now I never want to play anyone else.

Everyone talks about reflecting Bastion? gently caress that, killing McCree with his own ult is the best thing. Or headshotting Widowmakers / Hanzo with their own projectiles. There’s just so much fun poo poo to be had.

I now love playing Genji on Defense because jumping and climbing behind the attacker team and harassing them to no end is the best. Whenever I'm not a turretman I just go ninja and make everyone waste time trying to get me. He's peak rear end in a top hat along with Tracer.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Anyone else smell cheetos?

quote:

overwatch
Is Overwatch Overrated – or the Greatest Shooter Ever?

By James Bagshawe | 10:31 pm, May 30, 2016
Have you heard? A little-known game company called Blizzard Entertainment have just put out a new game. Apparently it’s a character shooter – their first one ever. They’ve called it Overwatch. Rumor has it the gaming community is quite taken with it.

You must understand, by the way, that when I say ‘quite taken with it’ I mean ‘completely obsessed about it’. The beta was the most played in their history. More than 37 million games were played, in fact. Gametime ran to just a shade over 9,300 years. Yeah. It got played a lot.

More: Based Notch vs Twitter – Feat. Overwatch

It’s no surprise. This is Blizzard, the company behind the stupendously successful World of Warcraft (WoW). They’ve also got Starcraft in their back pocket, undoubtedly the favorite RTS game for tournaments worldwide. A couple of years ago a small team put out a card battling game. They called it Hearthstone, after the magic stones that teleport you back to your inn in WoW. It has rapidly become the most played card battling game online and has been a runaway success. Wow indeed. Everything these guys touch turns to gold.

Perhaps part of the reason for that is that they are not afraid to delay and retool games that aren’t quite working. Blizzard was beavering away on a successor title to World of Warcraft behind closed doors that went by the codename of Titan. With the unparalleled success of WoW, any new game from Blizzard would have been devoured but Titan never saw the light of day. It wasn’t right so they never released it. Apparently some elements of it made it into Overwatch. There are only a handful of developers that are able to afford the luxury of such independent thought. Most game studios are hostages to the whims of the publishing companies. It can be a very cutthroat world.

ADVERTISEMENT

But while Titan was wrong Overwatch, it seemed, was a successful phoenix from the ashes. Blizzard were happy with it. They announced it and it looked super slick. Wonderful art, full of character, a Blizzard game from top to bottom. Along with the rest of the gaming world, I salivated.

Then over time I began to change my mind. It’s not that the game doesn’t look fun because it does. I think the real kick in the teeth came when it was announced that there would not be any kind of campaign or co-op gameplay in Overwatch. It was all PvP (Player vs Player), all the time. To my mind, it was much like Valve’s classic Team Fortress 2; a game I used to play quite a lot until I got bored with the same arenas over and over. What, then, would differentiate Overwatch? Well, nothing.

Blizzard had a plan in place to counter this concern, though; a plan they’ve used with great success over the years: amazing trailers. With Overwatch, they have drip fed some really terrific animated shorts teasing the world, the characters and the excitement of the Overwatch universe. If I could play one of those cartoons I’d be ecstatic. But of course the game is nothing like the animated shorts. This has been pointed out before to amusing effect with other Blizzard games. All that backstory is pointless fluff. When the game begins it’s you vs them with no breaks for epic cut scenes or exposition. Just frag, man, frag!

And that’s precisely what millions of gamers are doing right now. They are lapping it up. There are some really nice touches that have been so well thought out. Blizzard have put in a feature called ‘Play of the Game’ which highlights a move by one player that really tipped the scales of the encounter. It’s the perfect tool to enable an automated highlights reel to be posted to social media. If you were on the fence about Overwatch, seeing various ‘PofG’ vids pop up is a classic tempter.

But I’ll not be fooled. There’s no depth to Overwatch’s gameplay (though there is plenty of lore behind it and a cast of richly developed characters). By contrast World of Warcraft is positively overflowing with depth. It’s true that there have been some poor decisions taken for short term commercial gain and that these have harmed the social fabric of the game, but it still has an almost bottomless list of activities to consume your time.

What is best about WoW, though, and where it shines head and shoulders above Overwatch are the raids. These are epic encounters that require everyone involved to do their part. You need to play as a team to be successful and it can be hugely rewarding to make progress. Veterans of WoW will note that I am not including the keyboard-mashing, AFK haven of redundancy that is LFR (don’t worry, should you ever play the game you will soon pick up on the lingo). Blizzard tell us that only a small minority of WoW players ever set foot in a proper raid. They are missing out.

I look at Overwatch and see a colossal missed opportunity. Mechanics could have been put into the game that would have made it entirely possible to have a raid-like encounter within the Overwatch world. It would have been awesome. Blizzard could have delivered on such a promise in the way that another mega studio – Bungie – failed to do with the hype machine that was Destiny.

I should know as I backed Destiny to be the real deal. It seemed to have all the elements necessary for a PvE (Player vs Environment) guy like me. I stuck with it through the first two expansions before the scales fell from my eyes. Light on content, heavy on the grinding repetition, heavy on an exploitative loot system.

Overwatch doesn’t even bother to add any form of campaign to the gameplay. In many ways, it’s a very old school title and I can respect and even applaud its purity. But for me, it’s the Emperor’s New Clothes. All flash, no flesh. This is one hype train I’m happy to avoid.

https://heatst.com/uk/is-overwatch-overrated-or-the-greatest-shooter-ever/

Overwatch sucks because it lacks raiding.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Knifegrab posted:

People think Gearbox writing is good, writing I will remind you which is written by a loser who tried to have an open relationship with his wife, couldn't get laid while his wife hosed the whole town, got jealous, complained about it on twitter and got dumped.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
I can't believe I remembered my B.net login on the first try.

Bought this and look forward to maybe having fun with an fps again.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Brannock posted:

Everything you said is true and I love playing overwatch and watching competitive overwatch and I imagine I'll be playing the game for a long time. In addition to that, their comics and shorts have pretty bad writing.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

anime was right posted:

its ok that blizzard did one thing not-well

while i look up my shift key that has dropped on the floor are you arguing that overwatch characters are bad or just beING CONTRARIAN I FOUND IT

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
I... I don't understand, have I disappointed George R. R. Martin?!

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Knifegrab posted:

I... I don't understand, have I disappointed George R. R. Martin?!

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Mister Macys posted:

I can't believe I remembered my B.net login on the first try.

Bought this and look forward to maybe having fun with an fps again.

I think you took a wrong turn somewhere.
This thread is for arguing about character designs, not having fun.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
^ - If it's about not having fun in online shooters, then I'll definitely fit right in. :buddy:

Knifegrab posted:

People think Gearbox writing is good, writing I will remind you which is written by a loser who bullied his wife into an open relationship, couldn't get laid while his wife hosed the whole town, got jealous, complained about it on twitter and got dumped.

More like Stillborn.
Gearbox's poison studio is making Steam too loving crowded.

(I liked the second Brothers in Arms game though.)

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
It should be okay to still leave blanks but for some reason every videogame thinks it needs some sort of overarching story and as such I bemoan the death of player-authored narrative and wish for a swift execution.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Vermain posted:

When that now-infamous screenshot of Battleborn was posted, I was legitimately convinced it was an image parodying overly busy UIs and grotesquely unreadable gameplay visuals and not an actually existing game.

What screenshot was that?

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...
Overwatch is good.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Lady Naga posted:

It should be okay to still leave blanks but for some reason every videogame thinks it needs some sort of overarching story and as such I bemoan the death of player-authored narrative and wish for a quick death.

Well, having an overarching story helps with developing interesting characters, because you can contextualize them in a world and connect them. I do think people go in too hard on ludo-narrative dissonance when they shouldn't tho.

i mean

nice meltdown

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Orson Scott what have I done wrong?!