Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Is that thing saying that the Titan line is no more?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Is that thing saying that the Titan line is no more?

Apparently, which is why it seems like total bullshit to me. The AIDA64 people have a complete list of device IDs and it includes GP102 parts, and what would that be if not a Titan/1080 Ti?

quote:

The most important news of the day: AIDA64 confirms GP102 silicon. This is probably the Big Pascal for gamers, that was being speculated ever since GP100 came out.

Judging from the released list GP100 will be computing oriented GPU (as most parts are tagged as GL). Meanwhile GP102 has more non-GL parts (so presumably those are GeForce devices). However both GPUs might be available in GeForce series, because GP100 also has three non-GL parts.

Moving on to lower end parts, we have GP106, the new GPU that was showcased in Drive PX 2 module. We also have GP107 and GP108, where the latter will probably only be offered in form of mobile graphics cards.
http://videocardz.com/60289/breaking-news-aida64-developers-confirm-pascal-gp102-gp106-gp107-and-gp108

Also, the Inno3D list doesn't even include the GTX 1070 which has been publically confirmed/reviewed/launch date set, sooooo

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

With Nvidia's latest pricing scheme and the EU gouging I'm sure the 1080 will be the last GPU I'll be able to afford to buy outright for a good while.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
Do you Euros not have helpful pay-day loan centers conveniently located near electronics stores to ensure that you can always afford the best and biggest?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Paul MaudDib posted:

Apparently, which is why it seems like total bullshit to me. The AIDA64 people have a complete list of device IDs and it includes GP102 parts, and what would that be if not a Titan/1080 Ti?

http://videocardz.com/60289/breaking-news-aida64-developers-confirm-pascal-gp102-gp106-gp107-and-gp108

Also, the Inno3D list doesn't even include the GTX 1070 which has been publically confirmed/reviewed/launch date set, sooooo

The first 10xx in that list is probably the 1070. The list was supposedly from the 1070 embargo time.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Has anyone talked about 1.25voltgate yet? :pcgaming:

https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/4lwysn/gtx_1080_hard_limit_at_125_volts/

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Both of the guys putting Epower modules on these will be crushed

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

How much is that beyond the normal operating voltage?

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Seamonster posted:

How much is that beyond the normal operating voltage?

I think the normal operating voltage is 1.08. Not sure why reddit is freaking out yet, other than THE MAN trying to control our volts

edit: actually not sure what normal operating voltage is, 1.08 is the bios limit from what someone said on reddit

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 21:54 on May 31, 2016

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I think the normal operating voltage is 1.08. Not sure why reddit is freaking out yet, other than THE MAN trying to control our volts

1.08v->1.25v is a ton more, for example my 4790k runs at 1.26v when fully boosting to 4.4GHz and the max safe voltage is 1.35v to 1.4v depending on cooling. For 1.4v you need a large AIO or a custom loop. So limiting the max overvolt to .17v over default is not a huge deal unless you are doing LN2 or something similar for cooling, LN2 is pretty much just for competitions to see how far the chip can be pushed.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Guru3D only needed 1.1v to get to 2065mhz. Not sure why you'd need to exceed 1.25v outside of LN2 record-setting :shrug:

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
He probably thinks everything works like Winbond BH5

gently caress i'm :corsair: to recall that so quickly

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Seamonster posted:

He probably thinks everything works like Winbond BH5

gently caress i'm :corsair: to recall that so quickly

Jesus Christ I knew what you meant.

gently caress I'm old

ufarn
May 30, 2009

quote:

AMD Prices 3-D Tech to Spur Virtual Reality Market - New line of graphics hardware to be priced at $199
Advanced Micro Devices Inc. is angling to lower the cost of virtual reality, targeting the field with a new line of graphics hardware priced at $199—half or less the cost of comparable products.

AMD said the first chips based on its new Polaris design are expected to arrive in graphics cards for personal computers at the end of June. The company aims to help push the starting cost of PCs that can deliver VR experiences as low as...

I can never get the paywall stuff to work with WSJ.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

quote:

Advanced Micro Devices Inc. is angling to lower the cost of virtual reality, targeting the field with a new line of graphics hardware priced at $199—half or less the cost of comparable products.

AMD said the first chips based on its new Polaris design are expected to arrive in graphics cards for personal computers at the end of June. The company aims to help push the starting cost of PCs that can deliver VR experiences as low as $799 from above $1,000.

Consumers also face the cost of the latest generation of VR headsets—$599 for the Oculus Rift from Facebook Inc. ’s Oculus VR unit, for example, or $799 for HTC Corp. ’s Vive.

(ADVERTISEMENT BANNER)

But the need for a PC with an add-in card that includes a beefy 3-D graphics chip is another barrier that stands in the way of widespread adoption of VR. An online survey conducted in April by the Advanced Imaging Society found that 68% of respondents said VR equipment was too expensive.

“Less than 1% of PC users have systems that are capable of doing VR,” said Raja Koduri, senior vice president and chief architect of AMD’s Radeon technologies group. “The entry point is very, very high.”

AMD said its new Radeon RX cards, certified for use in VR by HTC and Oculus VR, deliver performance equivalent to that of $500 graphics cards used for VR.

Patrick Moorhead, an analyst with Moor Insights & Strategy briefed on AMD’s strategy, estimated that the current minimum price on cards comparable to AMD’s new models is $399. He said the $199 pricing comes as a surprise.

“It’s great for getting more people into VR,” said Kelt Reeves, president of Falcon Northwest Computer Systems Inc., a boutique maker of gaming PCs that serves the market.

AMD competes with Nvidia Corp. in the chips known as graphics processing units, or GPUs. Mercury Research estimates that Nvidia had 70.6% of shipments in the first quarter of 2016 to 29.4% for AMD, though the latter’s share is up three percentage points from the fourth quarter.

Standard practice in the GPU business has been to start new product lines with high-end cards that command hefty prices and profit margins. Mr. Koduri said AMD hoped that breaking from tradition by starting with a lower-cost model could have a bigger impact. For one thing, he said, computer retailers prefer to stock machines for less than $999.

Nvidia on May 7 introduced a new flagship model called the GTX 1080 at a $599 price tag that is expected to succeed a $1,000 model called the Titan X. Nvidia also introduced a $379 model called the GTX 1070, which is likely to be seen as competition to the new AMD model.

“It’s up to Nvidia to come up with a lower-priced card,” Mr. Moorhead said.

An Nvidia spokesman had no immediate comment.

AMD, based in Sunnyvale, Calif., plans to formally announce the new chips early Wednesday at the Computex trade show in Taiwan.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
About die shrink, is it true that due to some surface area square law thing, the smaller you go the harder it is to cool due to smaller heatsink contact patch?

I wonder if spacing a chip out so part of the chip is just a solid flat metal to increase surface area will become a thing?

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
An interesting (?) leak from Macau

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

If they've got >=970 performance at $199 that might actually sell pretty well. The 1060 (if it exists) could still cause them some trouble though.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

ijyt posted:

With Nvidia's latest pricing scheme and the EU gouging I'm sure the 1080 will be the last GPU I'll be able to afford to buy outright for a good while.

If that's the case you'd probably be best off stepping down the performance scale and keep buying reasonably frequently. Don't just buy the biggest and best and let it turn into an obsolescent relic in your case.

Top end gpu pricing is dead nasty though, I don't even know if my ludicrous attraction to the Fury X cooler is going to get be to buy a big Vega.

Lolcano Eruption
Oct 29, 2007
Volcano of LOL.
Edit: Already posted above.

Lolcano Eruption fucked around with this message at 23:08 on May 31, 2016

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

xthetenth posted:

If that's the case you'd probably be best off stepping down the performance scale and keep buying reasonably frequently. Don't just buy the biggest and best and let it turn into an obsolescent relic in your case.

Top end gpu pricing is dead nasty though, I don't even know if my ludicrous attraction to the Fury X cooler is going to get be to buy a big Vega.

It's mostly hyperbole but at the same time I've never found the above to be true. I've been rocking a 780 since release and it's only now after upgrading from 1080p that I felt the need to upgrade. I had a similar 3 year run with a HD5850 in 2010. The only outlier would be my 9800GX2 which started artifacting a few months out of warranty (thanks Club3D :argh:)

Hell I had two 6800GT's for like 4 years.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

Overtaking the 980 was already rumored from the Videocardz 3dmark scores last week. $200 is a great price point for 1080p (sans high refresh bells and whistles of course) and even lower than the general expectation of ~$250. I'll need to see some overclocking headroom though. If it can clock up to touch a stock 980ti....

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
The new 1080's will still support G-Sync right? Do we know when the third party offerings will be on Amazon, Newegg, etc?

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

fletcher posted:

The new 1080's will still support G-Sync right? Do we know when the third party offerings will be on Amazon, Newegg, etc?

Of course. Custom GTX 1080 shipments are expected around June 16./17. in German shops.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

sauer kraut posted:

Of course. Custom GTX 1080 shipments are expected around June 16./17. in German shops.

Ok good, I figured that was the case but couldn't find a clear answer googling around.

Also :wtf: is with the price of a used BenQ XL2420G? I've never seen a monitor appreciate in value...

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Are these idiots seriously angry that a 16nm-process has a relatively low maximum voltage? It's not nvidia limiting guys, it's loving semiconductor physics :psyduck:

Go ahead and crack your gate oxide / enjoy electromigration for your ~~sick OC gainz~~. The PMICs on the board are probably stuck at 1.25V for good reason (like maybe it's the limit of whatever IC they're using).

Increasing operating voltage buys you margin on setup and hold times which in turn lets you crank the clock frequency beyond the validated numbers for timing margin at the expense of chucking out more heat.

Also signed up for auto-notify on the 1080 FTW because man I want to play my games not bottlenecked by a 2GB GTX 670 @ 1600p.

movax fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jun 1, 2016

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

movax posted:

Are these idiots seriously angry that a 16nm-process has a relatively low maximum voltage? It's not nvidia limiting guys, it's loving semiconductor physics :psyduck:

Go ahead and crack your gate oxide / enjoy electromigration for your ~~sick OC gainz~~. The PMICs on the board are probably stuck at 1.25V for good reason (like maybe it's the limit of whatever IC they're using).

Increasing operating voltage buys you margin on setup and hold times which in turn lets you crank the clock frequency beyond the validated numbers for timing margin at the expense of chucking out more heat.

Also signed up for auto-notify on the 1080 FTW because man I want to play my games not bottlenecked by a 2GB GTX 670 @ 1600p.

They are temporarily out of stock on amazon but you can put in a order: http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-GAMING-Graphics-08G-P4-6286-KR/dp/B01GAI64GO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1464737580&sr=8-1&keywords=1080+ftw

Other models:
$619 http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-...3AATVPDKIKX0DER
$649 http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-...3AATVPDKIKX0DER

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jun 1, 2016

movax
Aug 30, 2008

In a completely unrelated question, does newegg charge sales tax in WA? :angel:

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

movax posted:

In a completely unrelated question, does newegg charge sales tax in WA? :angel:

Negative! http://kb.newegg.com/faq/article/1360

quote:

Within the United States, Newegg.com charges sales tax on orders shipping to California, Indiana, New Jersey and Tennessee only.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Ak Gara posted:

About die shrink, is it true that due to some surface area square law thing, the smaller you go the harder it is to cool due to smaller heatsink contact patch?
Depends on transistor and power density too but yea its true to an extent. I don't think its a huge problem though with the modern development of vapor chambers and heat pipes.

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

wsj sez 480 = $200
That is muuuch better pricing then I expected. If the performance is on par with the leaked benches they'll sell heaps of em'. Probably won't make too much per card but it'll probably still be an improvement financially over the current situation.

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jun 1, 2016

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Sweet -- I actually haven't bought anything from Newegg since building my 2600K system back in 2011, so time to start again!

Time to make sure my AX750 has all the right cables and stuff for that bad boy.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Depends on transistor and power density too but yea its true to an extent. I don't think its a huge problem though with the modern development of vapor chambers and heat pipes.

That is muuuch better pricing then I expected. If the performance is on par with the leaked benches they'll sell heaps of em'. Probably won't make too much per card but it'll probably still be an improvement financially over the current situation.

Still hoping for a 480X with more shaders and higher cost. I kind of want to justify jumping from a stock 290X to the 400 series but I'm super iffy on Vega. Hoping there is a solid 20-30% gain on a 290X at stock.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
If I grab an EVGA 980ti now, or even better a 970, I will be able to step up to the 1080 guaranteed (and most likely the 1070 as well?). I'm currently running a 760 gtx which is dying and I really don't want to wait a couple months for 1080/1070's to fully become available. I'm guessing I'd lose about $100 at most for doing this?

My big question is where could I order the EVGA 970 from, newegg/amazon/anywhere? And then I have to go MSRP price via EVGA once I upgrade.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

repiv posted:

For comparisons sake the 390 is 5.1 TF and 390X is 5.9 TF.

From wsj.com:

The rest of it is paywalled, but really, this is all you need to see.

...I am reminded of an old Denny's commercial jingle, which I will now adapt to the news that accompanied this slide. "$199, are you out of your mind!?"

Is there *anything* that we can infer about Crossfire scaling on the new poo poo? Like, I want to see if the math pans out that for the cost of a single 1080, you could Crossfire a pair of these $199 cards and get better performance.

Goddamnit, the wait for this press conference is KILLING me. (Well, not the actual press conference itself, but for the news that people winnow out of the bullshit terrible stage presence, choreography and delivery.)

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jun 1, 2016

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Is there *anything* that we can infer about Crossfire scaling on the new poo poo? Like, I want to see if the math pans out that for the cost of a single 1080, you could Crossfire a pair of these $199 cards and get better performance.

It's probably somewhere in between the 1070 and 1080, not faster than the 1080. And yeah, Crossfire/SLI of midrange cards is typically better value but then you have to put up with the problems native to Crossfire/SLI.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

It does kind of kill any firesale worthiness of the 970/980 and possibly even the 980ti if it overclocks really well.

Here is hoping there is an RX 480 for 199$ and RX 480X for 249$ with the 480X coming close to the 1070. That kind of line up would be pretty compelling actually, enough that I'd kind of recommend only the 1080 to people unless you specifically need Nvidia.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Stream here in 20 minutes :frogon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Icm9B1nkGJ0

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Paul MaudDib posted:

It's probably somewhere in between the 1070 and 1080, not faster than the 1080. And yeah, Crossfire/SLI of midrange cards is typically better value but then you have to put up with the problems native to Crossfire/SLI.

Problems that should theoretically be going away with implicit multiadapter in this new era of DX12 ha ha no I can't keep a straight face.

Real talk, aren't we expecting at least *some* measure of not needing SLI driver profiles, even if the developer doesn't take it upon themselves to do explicit multiadapter?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Rumors are AMD is targeting $199 cards and ceding the high end to Nvidia?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Josh Lyman posted:

Rumors are AMD is targeting $199 cards and ceding the high end to Nvidia?

For now that's the rumor., yes.