Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Stripping out combat related Engineer upgrades from NPCs is as step in the right direction. At the very least, compared to Sicknasty PvP Purples The Adder tweeting "LOL you only had 1 pip git gud" to your corvette. They can always add better parts back in later, if they get a handle on things. Then we can have Elite ships with Elite Pro Tier upgrades, while not worrying about half the NPCs in the galaxy sporting the latest and greatest in infinite ammo railguns.

It can already be disheartening for your own progress to see so many adders and haulers with Deadly and Elite rankings, but those are needed to ever raise your combat ranking due to "Rank = Exp. Ship = gently caress All".

NPCs gleefully ignoring the grind as they get tricked out in all the best custom hardware you would need a significant amount of time to roll a single one of to your preference, is just pushing it. But as ever, free handouts are for only casuals right up until free handouts suit your interests. At which point it is good great pro game design you just can't appreciate :pseudo:

That said, the old combat rotisserie maneuver was just sad and in dire need of change. So it's not like the previous situation was "Good". It just wasn't as disruptive as what people have been recently dealing with.

Or, you know, ":salt: who cares :allears:" either or.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 21:59 on May 31, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
I am actually glad they removed combat based engineer mods from the AI. The improved AI and giving them mods at the same time was a bit overkill. Granted, the AI used to be a joke, but then they made it harder than Dark Souls. Where even if you played perfectly, you would still lose. Now, if they do give them back to AI, it should only be on highly ranked AI ships, and not for every single one of their upgrades. Unless of course they are a mission target and have a large mission reward to compensate.

I do like that the new AI gives you a challenge. But they stepped over the line of 'challenge' and right into 'okay give 200% percent. Wait, you can't. Lol getgud'

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

TTerrible posted:

Ok so that expanded tweet now says it was a design decision.

I give up.
It says their support team assumes everything in the game is a deliberate decision. Remember when they removed specialty weapon types in 1.0, and nobody at Frontier noticed until people complained? Or when type 3 planetary scans were broken until someone mentioned it to Michael Brookes?

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

mr_jolly posted:

If you haven't seen it, the original Elite from 1984 came with a novella called The Dark Wheel which you can read online at http://www.elitehomepage.org/dkwheel.htm

Huh, you know I like the aliens everywhere, and the star wars cantina with even lower tech style

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

nippythefish posted:

that's all fine and dandy but you still have that horrible anime girl from the stream tests as an avatar, and it's really starting to lose its lustre.

I don't even know why I have this avatar, as I am just a humble anime, sir

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006

WebDog posted:

On the upside, I bloody well love how nav beacons can get scanned and point out where the hell your elusive object is for a mission.

I asked this earlier but didn't see an answer - is there something you have to do to trigger the mission USSes to appear? I ran my scanner, which updated the mission to tell me to fly to Bleebleblub 8; flew around Bleebleblub 8 forever and nothing spawned except for random non-mission USSes.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I did one today - went to the system, got close to the Nav beacon which told me to go to Bumblefuck 11, got really close to Bumblefuck 11 - only a few Ls, and the next Signal source that spawned was the one I wanted.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

MisterZimbu posted:

I asked this earlier but didn't see an answer - is there something you have to do to trigger the mission USSes to appear? I ran my scanner, which updated the mission to tell me to fly to Bleebleblub 8; flew around Bleebleblub 8 forever and nothing spawned except for random non-mission USSes.

They sort of mucked it up. Yes, the scanner will discover the entire system. But to be sure to get the USS to spawn that you need, you should also scan the nav beacon. There's a difference between knowing where everything is, and knowing what everything is.

Complaint Compilation
Apr 8, 2016

:sax:
As a new-ish player [month or two] I gotta say what the hell.
I got a trade mission - immediately after 1 jump get interdicted be a federal dropship. It liquefies me in literally 3 seconds [ cobra m4]. I understand the ship awesomeness differential, but jesus, the fine to give up the mission was more than I would have earned!
Is the team just making this fun for oldschool Elite players who enjoy, well, grinding and not much else?

E: Because that was the opposite of fun combat, and really gets in the way of even, well, trade (grind)
Or am I being stupid, somehow?

Complaint Compilation fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jun 1, 2016

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

The game is broken in many ways right now. I played all the previous games in my youth and I agree it is ridiculous atm sp it's not really a case of oldschoolers, more a vocal group of fuckwits

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Hexenritter posted:

The game is broken in many ways right now. I played all the previous games in my youth and I agree it is ridiculous atm sp it's not really a case of oldschoolers, more a vocal group of fuckwits

cool meltdown

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

:laffo: ok, how was that a meltdown? Fly away troll

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Hexenritter posted:

:allears:

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Had a bog standard hauling mission which I was pinged in the middle of to offer a bonus reward if I could make it in a shorter time limit. It seems like Frontier did do some legit work to make the standard mission templates more interesting and less predictable.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Hexenritter posted:

Your best bet is to ignore every single one of his posts, almost all of them devolve to:

-:allears:
-Nice meltdown
-A meltdown

I believe he thinks he is being "meta" or something.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Knifegrab posted:

Your best bet is to ignore every single one of his posts, almost all of them devolve to:

-Nice meltdown
-A meltdown

Yeah I got that sense too.

Anyway, other than some of the materials for the engineers, the super AI, the sudden prevalence of interdictions by elites and the generally wonky prices on everything I do still think the game has potential. I just don't know what the he'll they're thinking with some of these design and balance decisions. The pictures and fluff for mission givers is nice though, makes things seem a little less (pardon the pun) faceless.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Knifegrab posted:

-Nice meltdown
-A meltdown

lol at knifegrab (holder of some epic meltdowns) telling anyone to ignore anyone else but him

peep that rap sheet :chanpop:

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Hexenritter posted:

Yeah I got that sense too.

Anyway, other than some of the materials for the engineers, the super AI, the sudden prevalence of interdictions by elites and the generally wonky prices on everything I do still think the game has potential. I just don't know what the he'll they're thinking with some of these design and balance decisions. The pictures and fluff for mission givers is nice though, makes things seem a little less (pardon the pun) faceless.

Its a shame but the game is still pretty unique and fun. I'm hoping one update they'll realize that the game is a grind or something and just be like "Hey we made the game fun and credits flow and you earn more when flying in a wing!"

I think its been such a weird combination of cool and good features mixed with bad core gameplay tweaks/changes and adding more grind that we all sort of have stockhold syndrome. Its such a good game in so many ways dragged down by some really bad decisions.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Knifegrab posted:

Its a shame but the game is still pretty unique and fun. I'm hoping one update they'll realize that the game is a grind or something and just be like "Hey we made the game fun and credits flow and you earn more when flying in a wing!"

:salt::allears:

PS: nice meltdown

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jun 1, 2016

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Knifegrab posted:

-Nice meltdown
-A meltdown

I can't take you seriously since you forgot :nallears:

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Cobra confirmed still best ship. Its agile fun and I don't have to worry if I slam into the side of a planet.

Knifegrab fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jun 1, 2016

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

I can't take you seriously since you forgot :nallears:

Also the :ironicat: although I will try to diversify my smilie use in no effort replies to no effort freak outs over a space game.

(Nice ongoing meltdown :captainpop:)

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

edit: I have become an ouroboros. Shame on me.

Knifegrab fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jun 1, 2016

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

timn posted:

Had a bog standard hauling mission which I was pinged in the middle of to offer a bonus reward if I could make it in a shorter time limit. It seems like Frontier did do some legit work to make the standard mission templates more interesting and less predictable.

yeah you can now get bonuses for speedy delivery or for killing pirates during your delivery run, it's pretty cool.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
I like Hexenritter stop making fun of him this instant :mad:

Knifegrab posted:

Cobra confirmed still best ship. Its agile fun and I don't have to worry if I slam into the side of a planet.

This motherfucker knows what's up

Oh you. :allears:

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
PS I have gotten into my gold asp and am devising plans to get everyone in this here outfit into an iggle with advanced thrusters, or die in the attempt. Pray for me, folks.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Time to see if upgraded thrusters for my FAS are even remotely achievable. :science:

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Literally Kermit posted:

PS I have gotten into my gold asp and am devising plans to get everyone in this here outfit into an iggle with advanced thrusters, or die in the attempt. Pray for me, folks.

icouriers with pulses and a frag cannon are fun too, even has room for a scarab for planet shenanigans

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Games › Elite Dangerous: Horizons - The Beige Sea

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

I have an iCourier with 1x beam (under the nose, of course), and 2x multicannons. It has biweaves, 1x chaff, 3x shield boosters. Of course I put the enhanced performance thrusters on it.

It is a fast, fun ship.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?
I admit the call of the gofast upgraded iggle/icourier almost makes me want to come back from my trip of "scan all of the Neutron stars between these two nebula. ALL OF THEM."

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

PoorMoralCompass posted:

As a new-ish player [month or two] I gotta say what the hell.
Right after a big patch is always an awkward time to start, so maybe give Frontier some time to patch bugs before trying to dive in too deeply.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

The biggest and most game-breaking bug was mostly fixed.
They removed combat specific engineer mods from NPCs. There are still a bit of glitches, like multi-PACs but those are something that they can't fix server-side. AI aggressiveness is toned a bit too high but that is also something they are going to work on fixing.
Without the engineer mods on AI, they are much more manageable. They can still be a tough fight which is great. A deadly, dangerous, or elite foe is someone to worry about.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Was randomly interdicted by a pirate elite vulture that could boost almost the same speed as my maxed out iCourier. I think it had one of those gently caress you rapid plasmas but it couldn't hit my tiny yawing ship much. That was a fun escape.

Just added enhanced engines so next time I won't be mass locked for ages.

This was post update, so hmm. Don't know if I'm going to rush back to a slow ship for a while yet.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Jun 1, 2016

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

DancingShade posted:

Was randomly interdicted by a pirate elite vulture that could boost almost the same speed as my maxed out iCourier. I think it had one of those gently caress you rapid plasmas but it couldn't hit my tiny yawing ship much. That was a fun escape.

Just added enhanced engines so next time I won't be mass locked for ages.

Thanks for the heads up. I didn't think they would count thrustser upgrades for NPCs as "Combat" anyways for the pulled perks, but examples are nice.

Still wistfully wishing for NPC grade FSDs where an FDL can catch up with an Asp Explorer's jumps.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah a ship like that is basically a death sentence for most people.

I was going to get back into my python. Not for the time being I think.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
I'm still getting zapped by weapons that pump up the heat and melt internal modules.. Even with the changes random interdictions leave you barely holding together.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

DancingShade posted:

Was randomly interdicted by a pirate elite vulture that could boost almost the same speed as my maxed out iCourier.
That doesn't necessarily mean it was modded. The Courier is super sensitive to weight while a Vulture with A-rated engines isn't. The Vulture isn't that much slower to begin with and is often (slightly) faster if the Courier has more than a bare minimum of equipment.

DonVincenzo
Nov 12, 2010

Super Monster
The Absolute Guardian of the Universe
Friend of All Children

My (shitfit) Anaconda is really starting to grow on me. I really love its ability to travel around the galaxy and give no poo poo about interdiction or jump range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

DonVincenzo posted:

My (shitfit) Anaconda is really starting to grow on me. I really love its ability to travel around the galaxy and give no poo poo about interdiction or jump range.

I will have fond memories of my conda for a long time. Hope to come back to it once the game is good (and I have VR).

• Locked thread