Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Whitespace characters are the brown M&Ms of coding style guides.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBlackVegetable
Oct 29, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

He was being pretty reasonable with Gleb since him using spaces instead of tabs would mess up source control. Then he goes full retard with that bartender.

They just need a commit hook that reformats the code before the pull request is accepted and ignore whitespace in the diff tool.

Frothing over spacing is just bikeshedding to avoid dealing with the real issues of mounting technical debt and paralyzing feature creep.

Vim vs Emacs is also a non issue, the source code looks the same in both and noone is forced to use one or the other. Besides, Visual Studio is the superior coding environment.

TheBlackVegetable fucked around with this message at 20:47 on May 31, 2016

Confusion
Apr 3, 2009

Ciprian Maricon posted:

you're all worse than richard, who the gently caress cares what the code looks like as long as it works

The people that are going to be maintaining the code for many years care.

You see, the the problem with code is that it isn't 'write once, never touch again'. It will continuously be updated, changed, extended, by many different people over many different years. Consistent styling in your code base makes this easier. Tabs versus spaces may seem unimportant, but it is just a small part of a larger coding style. It is not so much about what you choose as it is about being consistent.

And yeah, every serious software company has coding style guides that programmers need to adhere to, typically the bigger the company the more anal they are about it.

TheBlackVegetable
Oct 29, 2006

Confusion posted:

The people that are going to be maintaining the code for many years care.

You see, the the problem with code is that it isn't 'write once, never touch again'. It will continuously be updated, changed, extended, by many different people over many different years. Consistent styling in your code base makes this easier. Tabs versus spaces may seem unimportant, but it is just a small part of a larger coding style. It is not so much about what you choose as it is about being consistent.

And yeah, every serious software company has coding style guides that programmers need to adhere to, typically the bigger the company the more anal they are about it.

Consistent coding style is irrelevant as long as the logic of the function is not obscured.

A good coder should be able to read and modify code whatever style it's in.

It's no surprise that bigger companies are more anal about coding styles - they've also got the bloated management and disparate teams that move at a glacial pace and noone communicates what actually needs to be done because they spend all day worrying how their code is formatted.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
gently caress the Richard haters, his sissyfit was hilarious.

Also, Zach Woods and Martin Starr keep being the best things about this show.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

I laughed way too hard about Richard trying to not seem insane about spaces by being glad they are no longer doing things like the Holocaust

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

waitwhatno posted:

People should cut programmers some slack. It's a miserable husks of a real human existence. Let them rant and blow off some steam from time to time.

I dunno I'm actually doing fine but thanks for your concern I guess?

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

FuriousxGeorge posted:

The reveal that Russ was right totally makes this episode a 10/10. I will listen to no disagreement.

I retract any my criticisms from last week, this episode was perfection.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I think the Richard hate comes down to whether or not you like cringe humor. I can't stand it, so I end up muting the TV for about half of Richard's screen time.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

4 is the correct tab width.

Agreed, Richard was justified because she was using 8 spaces... Who does that?

I've never had a tab vs. I space arguement but I have had the curly brace arguement.

I hope bighead comes out of all this ok, but I don't think that's ever been in doubt.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

VodeAndreas posted:

I've never had a tab vs. I space arguement but I have had the curly brace arguement.

I hope bighead comes out of all this ok, but I don't think that's ever been in doubt.

I'm really thinking Bighead is going to end up in the three comma's club entirely by failing upwards. There's just no other way it can go, it'd be too beautiful.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

VodeAndreas posted:

Regardless of differences in opinion over code hygiene, you really think Richard's behavior toward Winnie was "justified"?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

waitwhatno posted:

People should cut programmers some slack. It's a miserable husks of a real human existence. Let them rant and blow off some steam from time to time.
Thought I'd be paid pretty well to be a programmer. Turns out I was wrong. I'm paid insanely well. Like, twice as much as I expected.

And the work is actually pretty alright, generally good enrichment and perks. Not to mention it makes you super mobile, moving to Munich later this year. Programming owns right now, too bad this gravy train can't go on forever.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Martin Starr is the MVP of this show. Let us all remember that he started here:

And, while we're at it, Winnie's name couldn't possibly be a nod to Winnie Cooper, could it? Or is that, like, too deep of a nerd reference for this show to make, even with Danica McKellar being a mathematician and all?

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Jealous Cow posted:

Regardless of differences in opinion over code hygiene, you really think Richard's behavior toward Winnie was "justified"?

Ignoring the code hygiene that little storyline would never have existed, but it's pretty well established this season that Richard is in over his head in every situation.

My previous post was intended to be humourous.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

TheBlackVegetable posted:

Consistent coding style is irrelevant as long as the logic of the function is not obscured.

A good coder should be able to read and modify code whatever style it's in.

It's no surprise that bigger companies are more anal about coding styles - they've also got the bloated management and disparate teams that move at a glacial pace and noone communicates what actually needs to be done because they spend all day worrying how their code is formatted.

It's not about being "a good coder", if you don't follow a style guide you're asking for unreadable hard to maintain code.

Google's style guide explains why you would write C++ a certain way:
https://google.github.io/styleguide/cppguide.html

Have you ever had to maintain code where all the functions and variables were variations of "a, a2, d3" etc.? Where half the code was in a single never ending line "if(a=b){print($b);$c=$b}function($c){$d=fopen($c);...". People literally write code like this, it's not anal, it's rational.

Anyway, tabs for life. Let everyone adjust their IDE to make things look how they like, using spaces enforces your style on everyone else.

I love that a TV show can have this argument, it's too real!

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Jealous Cow posted:

Richard's like a more neurotic Seinfeld, who would weekly break up with a new or potential girlfriend over some almost imperceptible or trivial character flaw.
She even seemed to be okay with his anal attitude right up until the time he walked out.

Inkspot posted:

Martin Starr is the MVP of this show. Let us all remember that he started here:

And, while we're at it, Winnie's name couldn't possibly be a nod to Winnie Cooper, could it? Or is that, like, too deep of a nerd reference for this show to make, even with Danica McKellar being a mathematician and all?

Yes certainly a tug at Gen X nostalgia.

Jared's a player and check out the 2 losers in the background. :boom:

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Binary Logic posted:

Richard's like a more neurotic Seinfeld, who would weekly break up with a new or potential girlfriend over some almost imperceptible or trivial character flaw.

Ok. I like this one. I'm on board.

TheBlackVegetable
Oct 29, 2006

ElCondemn posted:

Have you ever had to maintain code where all the functions and variables were variations of "a, a2, d3" etc.? Where half the code was in a single never ending line "if(a=b){print($b);$c=$b}function($c){$d=fopen($c);...". People literally write code like this, it's not anal, it's rational.

"As long as the logic of the function is not obscured". Your examples clearly obscure the logic, tabs vs spaces does not.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

BlindSite posted:

Episode was good. I didn't mind the richard subplot but then again I don't have a problem with cringing so hard I feel like I'm going to collapse inside myself. Dude kills it.

This guy. This guy hugs.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Good to see Mark Cuban embracing his inner russ hanneman.

And I just realized the actor who plays him is the same one who was the sound guy on the last season of the office. WOW.

Holyshoot fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jun 1, 2016

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Holyshoot posted:

And I just realized the actor who plays him is the same one who was the sound guy on the last season of the office. WOW.
Chris Diamantopoulos was also pretty great as a mentally unstable tv executive in the last 2 seasons of Episodes.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't Russ Hanneman actually based off of Mark Cuban?

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

lifts cats over head posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't Russ Hanneman actually based off of Mark Cuban?

Yes, he is. Mark Cuban literally got rich putting radio on the internet, and has been selling all sorts of ridiculous three comma swag since before Silicon Valley was on air.

Like many things on this show, they didn't even have to change reality for it to be funny.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Mark Cuban,

A: Entrepreneurial laugh-stock coasting on the glories of the dotcom bubble
B: Surprisingly talented basketball team owner

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

"As long as the logic of the function is not obscured". Your examples clearly obscure the logic, tabs vs spaces does not.

I can read it just fine, you must be a bad coder.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Toplowtech posted:

Chris Diamantopoulos was also pretty great as a mentally unstable tv executive in the last 2 seasons of Episodes.

So it sounds like the character he played on the office isn't really the types of dudes he normally plays?

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Holyshoot posted:

So it sounds like the character he played on the office isn't really the types of dudes he normally plays?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUEIqbOthqY

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

That was great. Definitely going to give this show a watch.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Episodes is a really, really fun show, more people should definitely check it out.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

MiddleOne posted:

Mark Cuban,

A: Entrepreneurial laugh-stock coasting on the glories of the dotcom bubble
B: Surprisingly talented basketball team owner

The only reason 'B' is true is because unlike other rich people who own sports teams and view them as 'just another item in their portfolio and/or way to legally 'own' black people,' it's something Cuban actually *cares about*.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
So how long until we get a character or storyline based on Elizabeth Holmes?

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

They just need a commit hook that reformats the code before the pull request is accepted and ignore whitespace in the diff tool.

Frothing over spacing is just bikeshedding to avoid dealing with the real issues of mounting technical debt and paralyzing feature creep.

Vim vs Emacs is also a non issue, the source code looks the same in both and noone is forced to use one or the other. Besides, Visual Studio is the superior coding environment.

Was going to post basically this.

We use Visual Studio Code and a beauty plugin which fixes all whitespace issues.

VodeAndreas posted:

If you're using 2 space indentation that would be 4 indentations. Or she was just doing it to test what she heard.

Also what the hell is the curly braces argument? The type of braces you're using depends on the language you're coding in. They're not interchangeable like tabs and spaces.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Also what the hell is the curly braces argument? The type of braces you're using depends on the language you're coding in. They're not interchangeable like tabs and spaces.

It's an argument between putting the opening brace directly after the statement or putting it on a new line by itself. I like giving it its own line, myself. It makes the braces symmetrical so it's like a code sandwich. :shobon:

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Binary Logic posted:

Yeah, my first thought was Seinfeld during that whole coding scene. I'm not particularly surprised, it's just not endearing to his character at all. I don't particularly mind Richard, I just think they're taking greater strides to make him unpleasant this season. They're gradually taking the G out of RIGBY.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

sticklefifer posted:

They're gradually taking the G out of RIGBY.

Just change "great" to "grating" and it still works.

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona

squidgee posted:

Yes, he is. Mark Cuban literally got rich putting radio on the internet, and has been selling all sorts of ridiculous three comma swag since before Silicon Valley was on air.

Like many things on this show, they didn't even have to change reality for it to be funny.

Ahaha I don't know real-life SV well enough so I figured he was based on like Sean Parker or someone but knowing he's based on Mark Cuban just made Russ even better for me. Your mom is is Napa for a few hours with her friend Philip.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

the great deceiver posted:

Ahaha I don't know real-life SV well enough so I figured he was based on like Sean Parker or someone but knowing he's based on Mark Cuban just made Russ even better for me. Your mom is is Napa for a few hours with her friend Philip.

It's probably a composite based on Cuban, Parker, Sacca, etc. type of characters

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Just change "great" to "grating" and it still works.

Then what's the BY for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

sticklefifer posted:

Then what's the BY for?

"but, y'know...the show needs his character for some reason."

• Locked thread