Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I dont think getting stuck on rebar would be that bad. Honestly, I think the trouble would be more from snags and fouling on the same stuff that catches lures in the first place, like giant logs or dumped toilets.

Idea. Electromagnet! If it gets stuck, just turn it off / disconnect it. Bonus stunned fish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Do they sell magnets in sphere shape with an eyelet? Might snag less.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Next time I'm at harbor freight I might pick one up for the hell of it, especially if they are relatively cheap. Who knows the crazy stuff you can find at a busy boat ramp.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

Suspect Bucket posted:

But you still got one keeper :3:

My wife loves to fish...but only for about 45 minutes then she's ready to call it a day. She has me bait her hook and take the fish off...but trust me I am in no way complaining. It feels manly and romantic as crap helping my wife with stuff like that, and the fact she likes to fish PERIOD is so cool it's not even funnny. We've got a kid on the way and I can't wait to take her/him fishing with us sometime.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I skimmed that as fishing on her period and I thought well it does have a calming effect on me.

I took my wife on a Hawaiian deep sea trip and she landed a 35lb dorado then made fun of me for years because the first and only fish she ever caught was bigger than my personal record at the time and for a good while after.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

LingcodKilla posted:

I skimmed that as fishing on her period and I thought well it does have a calming effect on me.

I took my wife on a Hawaiian deep sea trip and she landed a 35lb dorado then made fun of me for years because the first and only fish she ever caught was bigger than my personal record at the time and for a good while after.

Haha the word period does stand out there, maybe not the best use of caps haha.

Wives have got the magical ability to do that for sure! If you put a Snoopy pole baited with a fraction of a worm in my wife's hand she'll somehow land a 15 pound bass or a 25 pound catfish without even trying.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Live posting from Southeast AK, cell reception is p.good this far out so now I can fish and shitpost. No bites yet, will let ya know if I see anything cool or catch something.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

What's the target, what bait/lure?

I am not a book
Mar 9, 2013

LingcodKilla posted:

What's the target, what bait/lure?

goons;opinions about circumcision

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Halibut is the target, fishing in about 250-300ft and using stank rear end herring I left in my boat from 3 days ago.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

TheDon01 posted:

Halibut is the target, fishing in about 250-300ft and using stank rear end herring I left in my boat from 3 days ago.

What's the bottom like? I'd hate drifting over rocks at the depth. I'm used to the 120-10 we do out here in CA.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Bottom is sandy/silty but there are plenty of rocky spots.

No luck with halibut but my crab pots I dropped the other day were productive.

The king crab were tossed back, too small and too female. But I did get 2 of the biggest dungeness I've seen in a while.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Nice. No spots for some rockfish on your way in?

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

LingcodKilla posted:

Nice. No spots for some rockfish on your way in?

Not that I know of. I'm sure they're around but I've only been fishing in this area since last summer. I could tell you where to catch things in Seward and Homer. You familiar with the Juneau area waterways? I need to befriend some salty old bastard that's lived here forever.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I wish. I'm California central coast born and raised about to move to Puget Sound, Washington. Similar fish, wonky seasons and waaaaaay more politics. Going to buy a fancy kayak to get on the water.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Out fishing again. This time for salmon too. Couple bites so far and I have crab pots to check on the way in.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

What you trolling with? I always likes using rotor-killers and have had luck with watermelon apex.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Deep 6 with a twin hook herring rig

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Can you use shakers for lingcod bait?

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

No idea what a shaker is. Does it bring the lingcod a running?

These are the only regs I've ever seen on Lingcod. Im in the Northern SE Area.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I've seen photos of dudes using very small salmon as bait for them. We call young of the year salmons "shakers" (like in they can't even knock the ball off the trolling line) and small lingcods "hot dogs".

Dumb i know.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
The proper term for an immature salmon is parr, or smolt as they get nearer to maturing enough to go out to sea. I imagine that at best, you'd piss off a salmon fisherman for doing it, I've heard of guys getting into altercations because they found someone with a bucket of smolts to be used as baitfish.

If I recall correctly it's like up to a 6 month jail sentence and a four digit fine for fishing with salmon smolts or other gamefish and having them in your possession. DFW puts tons of money into salmon reaching adulthood, for reasons up to and including the amount of tourist money they bring to the PNW.

tesilential posted:

Find a local tackle shop or sporting goods store and have them spool you up and get them to write down your spoil capacity for you. You'll get a good to great wind on the spool as opposed to a decent at best wind if you do it yourself without experience. As an added bonus you can chat fishing with a local who knows what's up and can give you tips on technique, location, gear and so on. You might even get an invite to fish which is definitely the quickest way to gain skill.

No matter your quarry or technique, I wholly insist on using braid, with the exception of perhaps sharks. For small gamefish like trout or panfish 6lb braid will work great , 10lb braid for LMB, carp, redfish, snook, 20lb for surfcasting on the beach. 30lb for boat fishing large saltwater gamefish. Bump up to the next size if you are fishing structure or using a reel with bad line lay.

Keep your reel's drag clean and if the washers are made of felt material (they are unless advertised as carbon fiber) check that they haven't fallen apart. I've seen a Stradic fj, a great reel, have a couple drag seizes that resulted in lost fish and a lot of cursing from its owner. It happens all the time with reels that haven't been maintained/used frequently. A $9 upgrade to carbon fiber makes a HUGE difference in performance and eliminates the high startup experienced with most felt drag systems.
Most reels ought to have the amount of line they can spool actually written on the spool, or you can probably google up a user manual or specs for the model and find out that way. Once you know the diameter of the line it's pretty easy to get at least a rough guess how much line it'll take.

Braid is great however it does fish differently than mono and such, as it likes to lie on top of the water.

And definitely take apart and clean and maintain your reels regularly, it helps to get a feel for using them, to understand the parts, and if you fish in salt you want to rinse it at the end of every day.

bongwizzard posted:

In other news, today's casting rod practice turned serious:
vive la revolucion?

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jun 7, 2016

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

You are such a dork. Of course shaker isn't the official term but a smolt is juvenile that's still a filter feeder. Alaska fisheries are completely different than the lower 48, they have different laws regulating different species. For instance I didn't know that there isn't a min size for non-chinook salmon in certain zones in Washington.

Also two minutes of searching found the Alaskan regulations that state that salmon caught for substitence can't be used for commercial purposes as bait.
Key word commercial.

CHAPTER 01. SUBSISTENCE FINFISH FISHERY.
Article 1. Statewide Provisions.
5 AAC 01.001. Application of this chapter. Regulations in this chapter apply to subsistence shing for salmon, herring, bottom sh, smelt, halibut and other types of n sh or their parts, and aquatic plants. The descriptions of legal types of gear (5 AAC 39.105), the de nitions (5 AAC 39.975) and the abbreviations and symbols (5 AAC 39.997) set forth and de ned in 5 AAC 39 are applicable to the regulations in this chapter.
5 AAC 01.005. Subsistence shing permitted. Fin sh other than salmon, rainbow trout, and steelhead trout may be taken for subsistence purposes at any time in any area of the state by any method unless restricted by the subsistence shing regulations in this chapter. Salmon may be taken for subsistence purposes only as provided in this chapter.

(m) Salmon taken for subsistence use or under subsistence shing regulations may not be subsequently used as bait for commercial shing purposes.

I doubt it's a Thing really but I saw an article about it years ago so I was curious. Anyways here's a video.

https://youtu.be/RaHZYOKmgmU

https://youtu.be/wKmyWKq6Djc

Crab Dad fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Jun 7, 2016

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Ahh, Alaska. Don't try it in OR, CA, and probably WA though.

Are they called shakers because you can feel the weak shaking when you snag one while trolling? That's how I grab most of the ones I get hands on.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

coyo7e posted:

Ahh, Alaska. Don't try it in OR, CA, and probably WA though.

Are they called shakers because you can feel the weak shaking when you snag one while trolling? That's how I grab most of the ones I get hands on.

Yes indeed. They can't separate the weight from the snap swivel. You just kind of drag them.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Went wade fishing today on the upper Patapsco River in central MD. Was on the water for 4 hours and only managed to cover half a mile. There were fish everywhere and I caught a ton of them. Nothing big, but close to a hundred small SMB and larger Redbreasts. I also caught a single rockbass, which I didn't even think lived around here. I fished a few variations on the Ned rig. It is really an amazing lure, small enough for a larger sunfish to take the hook but large bass will still hit it.

I am very impressed with how hard SMB fight. The largest I caught was only like 12" but even ones down to 6" would pull drag and put a good bend in my heavish ML rod.

WTF BEES
Feb 26, 2004

I think I just hit a creature?

bongwizzard posted:

Went wade fishing today on the upper Patapsco River in central MD. Was on the water for 4 hours and only managed to cover half a mile. There were fish everywhere and I caught a ton of them. Nothing big, but close to a hundred small SMB and larger Redbreasts. I also caught a single rockbass, which I didn't even think lived around here. I fished a few variations on the Ned rig. It is really an amazing lure, small enough for a larger sunfish to take the hook but large bass will still hit it.

I am very impressed with how hard SMB fight. The largest I caught was only like 12" but even ones down to 6" would pull drag and put a good bend in my heavish ML rod.

Yeah wade fishing in large stream/small rivers is the best. Rock bass are absolutely native to the east coast and are a blast if you can find a school of them. Very much behave like river-crappie. Also I find that riverside of any species are just plain stronger than their lake bound cousins.

Next time you go out try a Berkley Power Nymph on a 1/32oz jig head. It's pretty much cheating.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Ohh a fishing thread! So my wife just introduced me into fishing while on vacation at a lake. She just bought us some cheapo $20 rod/reel combos from Walmart. One of them being a spinner and the other a baitcaster. I have to say I have throughly been enjoying fishing some catfish and a random mussel (wtf) releasing them after unhooking them. I think i want to invest a little bit more into the hobby but not sure where to go. Trying to get in contact with my friend to see what the bigger fish population is in northern Virginia so I can have a better direction to aim towards.

Are there any rod / reels that would be suggested for fresh water fishing, not on a boat, baitcaster reel, in the $150~ price range? I think there are some lakes around here that have bass.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

WTF BEES posted:

Next time you go out try a Berkley Power Nymph on a 1/32oz jig head. It's pretty much cheating.

I usually rock a Trout Slayer bug on this river, but my love of the Ned is becoming all consuming. I had two little finesse jig/craws I wanted to try but I never switched over.

Etrips posted:

Ohh a fishing thread! So my wife just introduced me into fishing while on vacation at a lake. She just bought us some cheapo $20 rod/reel combos from Walmart. One of them being a spinner and the other a baitcaster. I have to say I have throughly been enjoying fishing some catfish and a random mussel (wtf) releasing them after unhooking them. I think i want to invest a little bit more into the hobby but not sure where to go. Trying to get in contact with my friend to see what the bigger fish population is in northern Virginia so I can have a better direction to aim towards.

Are there any rod / reels that would be suggested for fresh water fishing, not on a boat, baitcaster reel, in the $150~ price range? I think there are some lakes around here that have bass.

Where in NOVA are you? Also a baitcaster combo for $150 is going to be not super good. You can absolutely get a decent to good spinning combo for that price, but budget casting reels can be frustrating as hell.

I would look at a St Croix Mojo Bass rod, they are a good value for the money and can usualy be found on sale for around $100. I would suggest the Drop Shot rod, as it is a pretty good general purpose rod. Then get a reel in the $50 range, like an Okuma Avenger B or a Pfueger President. Both are good reels and will last a long time with even a little care.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

bongwizzard posted:

Where in NOVA are you? Also a baitcaster combo for $150 is going to be not super good. You can absolutely get a decent to good spinning combo for that price, but budget casting reels can be frustrating as hell.

I would look at a St Croix Mojo Bass rod, they are a good value for the money and can usualy be found on sale for around $100. I would suggest the Drop Shot rod, as it is a pretty good general purpose rod. Then get a reel in the $50 range, like an Okuma Avenger B or a Pfueger President. Both are good reels and will last a long time with even a little care.

Currently living in the Reston / Herndon area of NOVA. At what price point would I be able to get a decent baitcaster setup? Tried using the spinner reel but the baitcaster was a lot more fun to use.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Etrips posted:

Currently living in the Reston / Herndon area of NOVA. At what price point would I be able to get a decent baitcaster setup? Tried using the spinner reel but the baitcaster was a lot more fun to use.

The general consensus is that the $100 range is the sweet spot. Look at bassreasource.com and search their tackle forum, there is a ton of specfic info there. I prefer a spinning set up in general but especially for a beginner it is a lot more forgiving and even later they will let you cast from more obstructed bank spots then a casting reel.

Not sure what is around you, but it you cross the river the C&O canal is a greal LMB fishery and the upper Potomac is full of smallmouths.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

bongwizzard posted:

The general consensus is that the $100 range is the sweet spot. Look at bassreasource.com and search their tackle forum, there is a ton of specfic info there. I prefer a spinning set up in general but especially for a beginner it is a lot more forgiving and even later they will let you cast from more obstructed bank spots then a casting reel.

Not sure what is around you, but it you cross the river the C&O canal is a greal LMB fishery and the upper Potomac is full of smallmouths.

Thanks I'll check out that site!

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Finally got out for a fish after spending the last month studying for my exams. Ended up with a few pike and a goatfish. No gummy sharks unfortunately.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Two LMBs from the last two days:

Both on small fluke-type plastics thrown up under cover.  

Tomorrow is going to be a white perch day due to the tides working out perfectly, but I might catch a striped bass and keep my streak going.

mrbass21
Feb 1, 2009
X

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
I am headed to a stocked pond tomorrow am. It's actually a goldfish / coi hatchery that has a few ponds with bass, crappie, bluegill, catfish. I'm certainly not fishing for goldfish.

I've been doing mostly fly fishing lately with not much luck, so while I'm happy to just get out, I'd really like to up my chances a bit tomorrow and land something. I've got some of the old standbys here:

Mepps Black Fury spinners
Purple worms
Few small rapalas
Tiny torps
Small green stick worms
A crankbait or two

I'm not hung up on gear or anything, but if there's something I'm missing out of here that bass and crappie really go for (out of picture are some white crappie grubs), I'm willing to head over to the Wal Mart and get something. Bongwiz said that the Ned rig is really hot right now.

Any advice? New rigs, etc? Any must haves that I'm missing?

Edit: After reading back in the thread a few pages, I went to Wal Mart, and they did not have Berkely power nymphs or any Ned rig stuff

I'm probably going to take the fly rod and try some topwater poppers, too

Planet X fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jun 19, 2016

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied
Had an awesome Dad moment last night and caught a panfish in the pier waters in the intercostal waterway behind out beach house, with my 3 yr old standing near by. That was almost 24hrs ago and he hasn't stopped talking about it. To him I caught a Great White with my bare hands and it just feels drat awesome.

On the freshwater side I've decided this bank fishing is for the birds and I'm shopping around for kayaks. Not planning to purchase until February. Right now I'm liking the Sea Ghost 130.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Planet X posted:

Bongwiz said that the Ned rig is really hot right now.

Any advice? New rigs, etc? Any must haves that I'm missing?

Edit: After reading back in the thread a few pages, I went to Wal Mart, and they did not have Berkely power nymphs or any Ned rig stuff

I'm probably going to take the fly rod and try some topwater poppers, too

Yeah, few of the MD stores I have ever found really carry zman stuff. There are a few ebay stores that carry them with reasonable prices and shipping. I am leaning towards cut down hula sticks and cut down Zinkers rather then the TRD baits. If you want a little ned starter kit let me know and I can peel some off of my stash.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

hagie posted:

On the freshwater side I've decided this bank fishing is for the birds and I'm shopping around for kayaks. Not planning to purchase until February. Right now I'm liking the Sea Ghost 130.

That is a nice looking kayak and that seat looks amazingly comfortable. Have you had a chance to paddle it yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
Is there a kayak thread? I just moved to Washington State and want to pick one up. Need to get up to speed on what I should look for, etc.