Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

MUSCULAR BEAVER posted:

Buff: Every character gets a new ability that gives you a free kill if someone walks within 10m of you

bring everyone up to mccree's level, I see

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

Section Z posted:

To all those people who do not suck with Genji. Is there a trick outside of experience for gauging when your dash will kill someone?

I think Genji is cool, but I am very aware of how much harder he is for me to use compared to other characters. At the very least I'm aware spread shot is A Thing, which has saved my rear end a few times when I bother trying him.

I believe it does 50 damage exactly, so that's two little bars.

You probably shouldn't be using your dash outside of his combo, though - RMB, Melee, Dash. You can animation cancel both RMB and Melee so you are almost, but not quite, limited only by how fast you can input the commands. If you body-shot all three of his RMB Shuriken, then that combo will do about 150 damage.

e: vvv Yes I found that out when I played Zenyatta and noticed he has literally 0 bars. Literally, he dies as soon as you pick him. What a weird hero

a cat on an apple fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jun 1, 2016

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Section Z posted:

To all those people who do not suck with Genji. Is there a trick outside of experience for gauging when your dash will kill someone?

I think Genji is cool, but I am very aware of how much harder he is for me to use compared to other characters. At the very least I'm aware spread shot is A Thing, which has saved my rear end a few times when I bother trying him.

It really depends on the hero you're fighting. It's a fixed 50 damage, so for squishier heroes you're looking at 1/4 health or even less than 1/2 health. And you can always follow it up with another attack or a quick melee.

^^Wait, is each little bar 25 HP? Well that's good to know!

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

http://gear.blizzard.com/overwatch/ow-76-logo-tee-womens

dangit

http://gear.blizzard.com/overwatch-bastion-shirt-womens

daNGIT

http://gear.blizzard.com/overwatch/ow-winston-plush

DANGIT BLIZZARD STOP TAKING ALL MY MONEY

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Theta Zero posted:

From my experience, DVa's issue is just a lack of sufficient kill power. Whenever I see a Dva as any class, my first reaction should not be "Oh man, a free headshot-baiting ultimate charge."

Zenyatta could definitely do with a health buff because he's just tissue paper as of right now. I know he has a skill that also makes people tissue paper but as of now his health does nothing but punish players for playing how his skillset would ordinarily encourage you to play.

Lucio is fine in my opinion, but it's hard to really tell when a support class focused on healing is "balanced" in any video game when they sacrifice their kill power for the kill power of others.

Widowmaker definitely needs a nerf not to make her so easy. I like playing as her but as of now she's just my win button if I decided I don't want the other team to have fun anymore.

Roadhog's hook range is fine but it definitely needs a fix for its clipping shenanigans, because I've been literally pulled through objects and floors before. Also maybe a less generous stun duration.

Hanzo's head hitboxes are downright silly and they should be tightened a bit. Aiming arrows is hard, sure, but they shouldn't try to make it downright easy.

McCree is okay in my opinion, but his stun mechanic needs to be changed into something that's actually fun to fight but equally rewarding for the McCree player. Dying because you lost the ability to control your character generally isn't very enjoyable or exciting.

I'd rather see Zenyatta's abilities become a little more powerful (again) after they were neutered during the beta. Without changes to the actual mechanics to his Ult and Orbs, the Orb of Harmony should still heal for a little bit more, and his Ult should charge faster. Considering how long it currently takes to charge up, Transcendence is a hugely underwhelming ability. It doesn't guard your allies against one-hit-kills and has a fairly small radius, to boot.

Lucio is fine as-is. Him and Mercy seem powerful because they're the only viable healers.

Widowmaker needs to charge her shots a little slower. She shares the same issues with the TF Sniper in that they simply lock everything down, and the only reliable counter is another good sniper. I hate sniper classes.

Roadhog is fine. Uncounterable stun-kills aren't fun but that's the fault of his design, not the numbers. He would need significant reworking to be anything else. He already charges enemy ults incredibly fast and his hook sometimes sends people in strange locations.

Hanzo's pretty much fine. He's objectively less effective in his role than Widowmaker. Jump on him as Winston; he can't even run away like Widow can.

McCree's...kind of a problem. I wouldn't mind seeing reduced range on flashbang and/or significantly increased CoF on his M2.

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010

Theta Zero posted:

From my experience, DVa's issue is just a lack of sufficient kill power. Whenever I see a Dva as any class, my first reaction should not be "Oh man, a free headshot-baiting ultimate charge."

If they just buffed D.Va's damage to any significant degree she'd be incredibly overpowered. Why would anyone pick Reaper when you can pick someone who has more than twice the health, near enough damage at similar range and better mobility and defensive abilities?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

MUSCULAR BEAVER posted:

Zen needs more than 150 health
Lucio needs a small nerf to his passive healing

I play both and, while I don't play competitive esports or anything, I think they fit their niches well.

Lucio's healing affects himself strongly enough that it allows him to dogfight offense heroes, disorient them with the push, and bean them. He's a bit less useful against snipers, but the multi-shot effect of his weapon means you can spray a wall of fire around to either randomly hit the sniper or at least keep them on their toes. He's okay at taking out Torb/Bastion defensively and and can Pump It Up or whatever to either rapidly bringing back an ally's health to hold points or his own to win fights when caught out alone.

Zen should never be caught out alone, and is basically healing Widowmaker. Play it defensively and it's amazing. I've had 4 minute holds at the end of a map where we got completely crushed to the end of the map, where I've switched to Zen and completely changed the game around. His debuff orb puts an icon on someone that briefly gives you vision through walls of their location, and makes it easy for him to LMouse them down. That works doubly well with turrets. Last night some rear end in a top hat flaming in all chat caused people to DC and others to spend more time chatting than playing, so the payload made it to the final stretch as quickly as possible, and I picked Zen and gave my group insane healing every time I heard someone call out their upcoming attack. We tanked up two High Noons and a Tactical Visor while also taking out turrets from very long distance. We held the final corridor for around 4 minutes to win a game that seemed certainly lost in it's first few seconds.

His only real offensive power comes in breaking down turrets and then using his super on the checkpoint to buy your team enough time to fully claim it. I've done that on Hollywood, but I much prefer Lucio instead because keeping line of sight on everything in Hollywood is difficult.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jun 1, 2016

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

holy poo poo this would go great with my trenchcoat
http://gear.blizzard.com/overwatch-reaper-tee-mens

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I don't know what they're going to do to McCree, but I do know that they're going to go too far and make him miserable to play as.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

A Magical Lamp posted:

If they just buffed D.Va's damage to any significant degree she'd be incredibly overpowered. Why would anyone pick Reaper when you can pick someone who has more than twice the health, near enough damage at similar range and better mobility and defensive abilities?

Let's not kid ourselves, people would still pick Reaper :emo:

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

fadam posted:

I don't know what they're going to do to McCree, but I do know that they're going to go too far and make him miserable to play as.

sounds good to me

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010

fadam posted:

Good. Someone who can beat anyone in a straight up fight should not be able to headshot you with perfect accuracy from across the room.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Your Computer posted:

Let's not kid ourselves, people would still pick Reaper :emo:

Because he's good yeah.

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

I think they will give McCree's fan a separate cooldown

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

EMC posted:

I think they will give McCree's fan a separate cooldown

Lady Naga posted:

It already does, it's like .4 seconds or smth

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Section Z posted:

50HP damage, and I don't really recommend it outside of his melee combo to murder.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

A Magical Lamp posted:

Good. Someone who can beat anyone in a straight up fight should not be able to headshot you with perfect accuracy from across the room.

Sounds like your movement is predictable mate.

The problem with nerfing flashbang is that it's the most reliable anti-Tracer move in the game, and she's already incredibly strong. I'd like to see them leave flashbang as is and do something to FTH so it's still good at dumpstering the 200HP heroes, but not amazing at killing tanks.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

perhaps, just perhaps, people aren't talking about the reload when they talk about adding a cooldown

because, somehow, it's almost like.. mccree can instantly reload his gun

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Thanks for all the insight. I really wish the in game information was a bit more robust.

"This can stun someone!" That's great, for how long?
"This will have instant cooldown, IF you kill someone with it!" That's nice, how much damage does it do?
"You can give allies armor!" Sweet. How much scrap do I need to do that? Okay fine I'll figure that out on my own.

Etc.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Minrad posted:

perhaps, just perhaps, people aren't talking about the reload when they talk about adding a cooldown

because, somehow, it's almost like.. mccree can instantly reload his gun

http://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20742859847

quote:

Recovery time (i.e. the time before McCree can shoot again) increased by 0.2 seconds

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Yeah the fact that the ingame information doesn't tell you more specific info about abilities, not even their cooldowns, is pretty dumb.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

yeah that isn't related to fan at all

can you just quote yourself having a meltdown and wrap up being wrong about video game

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
I think D.Va is fine where she is, but that seems to be a minority opinion. If they did buff her it would probably be increasing mobility. In the Arcade weekly brawl she's banonkers because the charge cool down is so short you're almost never not charging.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013
but the dash isn't instant

it's like .4 seconds or smth

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

That's flashbang

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Countblanc posted:

That's flashbang

The result is the same.

Minrad posted:

yeah that isn't related to fan at all

can you just quote yourself having a meltdown and wrap up being wrong about video game

What is your damage?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Putting explicit numbers into Casualwatch will give people feelbads though.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Leave Roadhog alone

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Section Z posted:

Thanks for all the insight. I really wish the in game information was a bit more robust.

"This can stun someone!" That's great, for how long?
"This will have instant cooldown, IF you kill someone with it!" That's nice, how much damage does it do?
"You can give allies armor!" Sweet. How much scrap do I need to do that? Okay fine I'll figure that out on my own.

Etc.

Blizz does that in all of its games. I get it in Hearthstone because it lets them keep all sorts of complicated poo poo under the hood and when things interact weirdly they don't have to go digging to make them work right like in Magic Online. But everything else, who fuckin' knows

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

It's not an instant cooldown when you kill someone with genji's dash. Its cooldown is refreshed every time you get an elimination. That means any time you see a red skull pop up on your screen you have a dash to use.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Lady Naga posted:

What is your damage?

your brain's

citing flashbang cooldown or reload duration has nothing to do with the idea people are proposing: that fan the hammer gets a X second cooldown, so that if McCree can fan the hammer he can't roll and then immediately fan again. The idea would be that using Fan leaves McCree somewhat vulnerable, which is presumably the intention of the pause before reloading that they already added to it, only making it actually impactful by not letting him ignore it completely via one of his abilities.

alternatively:

Lady Naga posted:

I dunno man, I used to be like that and then I took a long, hard look at my life and realized that it's much more fun and engaging to be positive than it is to constantly sneer at peeps, and I'm hoping that if others get called out on their negative behaviour they too might one day come to the same conclusion.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013
or maybe just make ways to counter tracer that don't also completely destroy the entire rest of the cast too

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Minrad posted:

your brain's

citing flashbang cooldown or reload duration has nothing to do with the idea people are proposing: that fan the hammer gets a X second cooldown, so that if McCree can fan the hammer he can't roll and then immediately fan again. The idea would be that using Fan leaves McCree somewhat vulnerable, which is presumably the intention of the pause before reloading that they already added to it, only making it actually impactful by not letting him ignore it completely via one of his abilities.

alternatively:

I am very sorry for whatever personal infraction that I have caused you by expressing my opinion that being a dick to people for no reason isn't a cool or good thing to do and I hope we can bury the hatchet at some point.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

MUSCULAR BEAVER posted:

Buff: Every character gets a new ability that gives you a free kill if someone walks within 10m of you

roadhog gets a free kill if he aims at you and presses shift

widow gets a free kill if she clicks your head

hanzo gets a free kill if he clicks your head or your feet

winston gets a free kill if he jumps on you away from your team (and you're not an attack class)

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Internet Kraken posted:

Yeah the fact that the ingame information doesn't tell you more specific info about abilities, not even their cooldowns, is pretty dumb.

I've seen worse, at least. All the information is true if leaving me wishing for more.

Instead of telling me things like "This ability will interrupt charge attacks! This ability will stun!" and having to dig through forums posts to discover PvE enemies are actually just straight up immune to interrupts and all forms of crowd control during their highly telegraphed charge up attacks :v:

City Of Heroes (and it's fan made builder) spoiled me so bad for under the hood and full explanations. "Hey I just ran a scanner on the raid boss. Who wants to know his exact HP regen per seconds-oooh it's negative numbers now nice job with those debuffs."

Cowcaster posted:

It's not an instant cooldown when you kill someone with genji's dash. Its cooldown is refreshed every time you get an elimination. That means any time you see a red skull pop up on your screen you have a dash to use.

Okay yeah in hindsight that's what it says :downs: Some basic damage numbers would have been appreciated though.

Of course, not listing details means you don't have to bother with the effort of updating tooltip data during patches. Which is often the more pressing real reason behind not listing it in the first place, despite PR spins.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

It's always fun when you have max energy as Zarya and a Dva tries stopping your death beam with her defense matrix while you just melt right through it. Same for Genjis deflect.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Section Z posted:

Of course, not listing details means you don't have to bother with the effort of updating tooltip data during patches. Which is often the more pressing real reason behind not listing it in the first place, despite PR spins.

Every dev has something like this.
Valve has updated Dota 2 tooltips to reflect accurate numbers since an earlier patch where they forgot to change the tooltip, and large portions of the community starts freaking out about this buff that they think just got applied that day.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013
The real problem with flash+fan the hammer is that there's so very little risk associated to it but with a high reward. I don't think adding a cooldown to fan the hammer is really going to fix the problem, because any mediocre McCree is still going to kill you with his flash+fan and then gently caress off until both are off cooldown.. like he normally would do anyway? Bastion being in turret mode is a very low effort way to pin down a team, but there's risk to that play, in that a team that knows how to handle it will shut Bastion down and make him useless. It's a lot harder to shut a McCree down like that because he is by nature of his stun a singular character that requires teamwork to react to - something that no other singular hero has a claim to. Every other hero, 1v1, has a counter, but McCree requires a 2v1 at the very least.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013
Windowwasher is bad about that too but at least she requires a modicum of skill before she forces a 2v1/mirror match-up as counterplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

I can't even play anymore because every loving pub is gimmick running like 5 soliders and lucio and there's literally no way to counter that