Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
The entire point of God ki was how it raised you natural low. After Goku learned to fight as a Super Saiyan God, he at some point lost his transformation and still managed to put up a fight against Beerus, which previously he couldn't even touch before.

This implies God ki isn't even on the same axis as regular ki, almost a completely different modifier. Freeza must therefore have been some kind of being akin to a God, he was after all set to be the next God of Destruction after Beerus, if not serving as his servant.

I have no idea what this slime is capable of, but if Gotenks can't even visibly touch it, it must have a God ki modifier to put it on the same scale as Beerus fighting SSJ3 Goku.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
So look, Beerus absolutely destroys SS3 Goku when they fight. It's reasonable to say that SS3 Gotenks is stronger than this given that SS3 Gotenks keeps up with Super Buu and SS3 Goku couldn't keep up with Kid Buu. But they're not in a different playing field. Vegeta's the only character who gets a strike in on Beerus and Beerus destroys him at 10% of his power. So at the very max, any Saiyan form gets clowned by Beerus at 10%.

So as long as Goku and Vegeta are above 10% of Beerus' level they have power far beyond SS3. Note, when Goku fights Beerus the first time Whis says that Beerus was using somewhere near 70% of his power to fight Goku.

Assuming Goku and Vegeta are nearly on par with each other and are approaching the level of power displayed by Goku in the first fight with Beerus, then SS3 Gotenks shouldn't be able to do goddamn anything to them. Given that Whis states in Revival of F that he thinks that Goku and Vegeta working together would stand a chance of beating Beerus, I think this is likely to be a reasonable assumption.

The second complaint is that Purple Vegeta is able to shrug off direct punches without defending despite the Revival of F ring murdering Goku. There are two reasons this probably rings false as a criticism. The first is that the weakness of failing to defend is specifically Goku's. Whis states in Revival of F that Vegeta's weakness is that he's tense all the time, likely meaning that even in a resting state Vegeta is defending. Goku on the other hand just doesn't bother at all so Whis is able to teleport deliver a tiny pinch and Goku screams in pain. It stands to reason that purple Vegeta is likely not to have Goku's flaws.

Secondly, even if that's not true, as people have already pointed out in the thread, the attacks are directly from the front and telegraphed, so Vegeta's defenses are likely to be up, whatever they may be.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Isn't part of the Kid Buu fight that Goku's kind of holding back to let Vegeta have a crack and that goes tits up?

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!
also as we can see here

Goku too can "block" a beam with his face if he's prepared for it.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST

ImpAtom posted:

Because Cabba is actually really loving strong? He's strong enough that without Super Saiyan he is one of the strongest fighters in his entire universe. Just because he didn't know SSJ doesn't mean he's weaker than pre-SSJ Goku.
Are you suggesting base-level Cabba is stronger than SSJ3 Gotenks? That's what it sounds like. And to say that Cabba is "one of the strongest fighters in the universe" doesn't mean much. You could have made that claim about the Ginyu force back during the Freeza saga.

Exercu posted:

There are some distinct differences here, though.

First, we can see the SSJ aura/hair on Goku, which could imply a "ki barrier" that people keep talking about, or we can just call it "bracing for the attack." Second, look at his body language. The beam strikes him and does have a "knock back" type of effect, but we see him correcting his posture. We also see a physical mark where the beam damage was caused. In this instance, Goku is trying to be intimidating to Freeza, so he ignores the fact that he just took actual damage to his face. As far as I'm concerned, this was an example of face-tanking done right.

Rutibex posted:

This whole Goo Arc has the feeling of Garlic Jr or the Fake Namick. I wouldn't take anything that happens as serious, they are just stalling for time to trying and figure out a good plot.

Exactly, at the end of the day, this was a filler episode. Like I've said before, it probably came down to the fact that they were too lazy or cheap to animate a fancy looking dodging montage where Purple-Vegeta dances around Gotenks.

Jedah fucked around with this message at 14:53 on May 31, 2016

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Why are we (still) assuming Purplegeta is base-level Vegeta power? I mean, it's not like you could tell the difference, it's not like Purplegeta might be getting more of Vegeta's total power with each passing minute, and the preview shows Goku losing in exchanges so...

I mean it's not like it matters because it's the Dragon Balls. The only consistent power rule in it is "Goku is strong as gently caress, the current villain is stronger than Goku".

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Dias posted:

Why are we (still) assuming Purplegeta is base-level Vegeta power? I mean, it's not like you could tell the difference, it's not like Purplegeta might be getting more of Vegeta's total power with each passing minute, and the preview shows Goku losing in exchanges so...

I mean it's not like it matters because it's the Dragon Balls. The only consistent power rule in it is "Goku is strong as gently caress, the current villain is stronger than Goku".

This whole Goo Arc has the feeling of Garlic Jr or the Fake Namick. I wouldn't take anything that happens as serious, they are just stalling for time to trying and figure out a good plot.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Rutibex posted:

I don't even think it's stalling per se, it's just a cooldown arc before the next big thing. I do agree that it's not really anything remarkable canon-wise, although who knows, it might be a setup for the Future Trunks arc.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Jedah posted:

Are you suggesting base-level Cabba is stronger than SSJ3 Gotenks? That's what it sounds like.

Based on all evidence offered in Dragonball Super, that's the only real interpretation of the facts.

Dias posted:

He took all of Vegeta's power at once, Veggie needed help to fly away and the clone has shown to exert no effort so it's a pretty safe assumption that he's the exact same as a base level Vegeta. The preview shows it powering up further.

There's no stalling going on because we've known that the Trunks arc starts next week for a long time. It's just an attempt at having transitional/filler episodes tell a cohesive story instead of being self-contained one offs.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jedah posted:

Are you suggesting base-level Cabba is stronger than SSJ3 Gotenks? That's what it sounds like. And to say that Cabba is "one of the strongest fighters in the universe" doesn't mean much. You could have made that claim about the Ginyu force back during the Freeza saga.

Cabba is presented as a version of Vegeta from another universe. He is at basically the exact same level as Vegeta and uses some of Vegeta's signature moves while they drop pretty unsubtle hints that he is either Universe 6 Vegeta or Universe 6 Vegeta's son. He just lacks transformations and so-on. Like that's basically the entire point of the fight in that Vegeta found a version of himself/his son from a different universe and wanted to see him be stronger. The fact that means that Cabba is insanely absurdly strong by any measure doesn't change the fact that is the story beat they told.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Every 50 page guide handy guide to Dragon Ball ki and durability:

Buu - has no durability, he's genie putty
Humans - have human durability (can get shot and killed, but can take bullets as a joke when it's being jokey)
Saiyans and possibly Nameks - have stronger than human durability (can land off of cliffs on their heads, bullets bounce off, etc.)
Freeza/Cell/Androids - ridiculous durability to the point of tanking planet explosions and more

Ki works like a RPG create-a-character slider in which people can balance things all over the place constantly based on their immediate needs. So, for instance, if they have 100 points, and a big gently caress-off blast is coming, they stick all 100 points into defense. Or, if they need to get somewhere really fast, they shift 100 points into speed. Generally, they maintain some kind of balance in a fight, as when they pump too much into an area, they get screwed over.

They can also "take all of their points away" and suppress everything so as not to be detected.

Examples:

Vegeta lowering defense to let Krillen blast him
Trunks being stupid and putting everything into strength and becoming slower
Goku wandering around with his defense "off" and getting blasted
Goku weight training without powering up and only powering up when he absolutely needs to
Buu getting shot through and stabbed with ssharp objects unless he wants to block, in which case stuff bounces off of him like anyone else
Gohan's arm getting broken by Cell's blast since he was using all of his energy towards speed to get over there before Vegeta got hit

This is also why their punches can do as much damage to a person as a kamehameha, theyr'e putting the same ki into strength as they are into this big blast that explodes at the end and blows stuff up, OR they are speeding over and punching people quickly before they can mount a defense.

All of this gets messed up in people's heads, however, because while the manga is super consistent with this, Toei made several filler episodes and movies and GT where people "passively" block stuff they shouldn't be able to. For instance, almost every main movie villain just stands there and takes everything thrown at them until Goku invents some kind of attack that works at the end.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Okay, but is Goku an Emitter or an Enhancer tho.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Exercu posted:

also as we can see here

this and Handsome Buu are my favorite pages in the whole manga

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Dias posted:

Okay, but is Goku an Emitter or an Enhancer tho.

He's a Blue Mage.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Saitama vs Goku. Who'd win?

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST

Covok posted:

Goku would punch him in the face (as hard as he could) and nothing would happen. Goku would obviously become hungry, so they'd decide to get ramen noodles together and chill out. Later, Trunks and Goten would spend all night beating Saitama at video games. King would show up at some point, and Mr. Satan would try to persuade him to be the cover of his magazine, Satan Weekly.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Covok posted:

Superman

JohnnyCocksville
Feb 1, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
This week on Dragonball super: Goku and Quagmire find Pawtucket Pat's secret recipe in an old shoebox. Meanwhile, Chris is drawing attention at school with his new hat.

JohnnyCocksville fucked around with this message at 18:17 on May 31, 2016

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I was bored, so I went through the last trailer for Fusions and made a list of playable characters, following the numbers shown in the trailer itself. My own predictions to the still unknown numbers:

-001 is almost definitely a transformed Tekka. Since his race is player-selected, though, it's unlikely to be Super Saiyan, or at least it'll change depending on race.
-003 is, likewise, a transformed Pinich. However, he can only be a Saiyan, so this is nearly for sure Super Saiyan Pinich.
-005 to 012 are mostly obvious, Goku's own transformations. Seven slots, so: SS1, SS2, SS3, SS4, SSG, SSGSS...and I have no idea for the other two. If GT Goku is counted here, maybe Kid SS and Kid SS3? Or maybe Kaio-ken and SSB Kaio-ken, I don't know. Vegetto and Super Vegetto are possibilities too.
-I have no idea for 014 to 016, since Kid Goku never transforms beyond Great Ape. Maybe just throw Grandpa Gohan here? Or have the GT Goku forms here, SS and SS4...I just don't know. Weird.
-018 is likely Super Saiyan 2 Teen Gohan, skipping SS since Gohan never really does anything in the form.
-020 is likely Super Saiyan Adult Gohan or Ultimate Gohan.
-022 and 023 follow from Gohan, so these are likely Goten in base and Super Saiyan.
-025 to 029 are, once again, almost definitely transformations, in this case Vegeta's. Five slots, so SS, SS2, SS4, SSGSS...and once again I'm left with one. Grade 2 or Majin, I'm guessing.
-031 is Super Saiyan Kid Trunks for sure.
-033 to 041 is way too big of a gap for Future Trunks alone. 033 is likely Super Saiyan, but then I don't know. Maybe Grade 3 too, and separate sword/not sword? Who knows.
-044 and 047 are positioned weirdly. They can only be Krillin and Tenshinhan, but neither is exactly known for transforming, and if there was a Kid Krillin, then I doubt adult Krillin would fuse with all the kids. I don't know either.
-054 and 055 seem to be the limit between protagonists (GT, to be more clear) and villains. Uub and Majuub seem like logical choices there, especially since we know Uub is in the game.
-059...Vegeta (Scouter)? I can't think of anything that'd go in the Saiyan bracket (Raditz, Nappa, Saibaman) that isn't already there beyond this. Really starting to wonder if Great Apes aren't in the game...
-061 is on the Namek bracket, so that's likely Nail. Were it below Zarbon, I'd expect Monster Form, but that isn't the case so Zarbon likely can't transform. Sad.
-069 can only be Ginyu, seeing as how it follows from the Ginyu Force. 070 is likely First Form Freeza, seeing as how the immediate following is Final Form Freeza.
-074 is once again obviously a transformation, Super Saiyan Bardock. Because he must appear in every game ever made. We must remake old games to put Bardock and Broly in them.
-079...what? It's on the Android bracket, between 17 and 18. GT seems to be separate, so I doubt it's Hell or Super 17, but I can't think of anything else that'd fit there.
-082 is likely either Imperfect or Semi-Perfect Cell, seeing as how the next one is Perfect Cell.
-086 and 087 follow from Fat Buu, so these are likely Super and Kid Buu...is what I'd like to say, but they're also before Kibito Kai, and we know Supreme Kai is playable, so Supreme Kai and Kibito couldn't be anywhere else. Supreme Kai and Kid Buu, maybe?
-090 and 092 surround Super One-Star, so base One-Star and Four-Star seem like logical choices for those slots, despite the former usually getting skipped for games. That said, 090 could also be Kid Buu...I just don't know.

And then there's a bunch of other characters, so I have no idea. Big roster though!

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Darko posted:

All of this gets messed up in people's heads, however, because while the manga is super consistent with this, Toei made several filler episodes and movies and GT where people "passively" block stuff they shouldn't be able to. For instance, almost every main movie villain just stands there and takes everything thrown at them until Goku invents some kind of attack that works at the end.

eh this never really bothered me because it's not like they're shown not using ki to protect themselves And goku usually "just wins" by hitting them harder after he's worn them down

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
I just want to fuse kamiccolo and King piccolo

JohnnyCocksville
Feb 1, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

a bunch of dumb assholes posted:

please remember that when stewie set brian on fire with a flamethrower, he was fine in the next scene. however in "Life of Brian" the sixth episode of the twelfth season and the 216th overall episode of the animated comedy series dragonballz, he gets hit by a car, permanently killing him. are we to say his ki was up when fighting stewie, or is it much more likely that characters live and die as the plot demands it?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I'm going to use in-game exploits to clone Broly and make everyone a Broly fusion. Brolyball Z: Fusion Generation.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Rutibex posted:

Superman

Honestly, I don't even know how to measure his power level. Could he beat 23rd Budokai Goku? Sure, of course. Kaiokenx10 Blue Goku? I have my doubts.

As far as I know, Superman doesn't train, either. Maybe we should assume he's exactly as strong as Freeza and give post-Freeza Goku the W.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

HitTheTargets posted:

Honestly, I don't even know how to measure his power level. Could he beat 23rd Budokai Goku? Sure, of course. Kaiokenx10 Blue Goku? I have my doubts.

As far as I know, Superman doesn't train, either. Maybe we should assume he's exactly as strong as Freeza and give post-Freeza Goku the W.

It's not even a contest any more, Goku beats even Pre-Crisis "galaxy sneezing" Superman now. Superman has never had enough power to destroy the entire universe.

Goku is more on the level of Infinity Gauntlet Thanos or the Anti-Monitor now :eyepop:

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

JohnnyCocksville posted:

please remember that when stewie set brian on fire with a flamethrower, he was fine in the next scene. however in "Life of Brian" the sixth episode of the twelfth season and the 216th overall episode of the animated comedy series dragonballz, he gets hit by a car, permanently killing him. are we to say his ki was up when fighting stewie, or is it much more likely that characters live and die as the plot demands it?

Gaijin cartoons are poo poo mate

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Rutibex posted:

It's not even a contest any more, Goku beats even Pre-Crisis "galaxy sneezing" Superman now. Superman has never had enough power to destroy the entire universe.

Goku is more on the level of Infinity Gauntlet Thanos or the Anti-Monitor now :eyepop:

This amuses me because a go to complaint about Superman from really stupid DBZ fans in debates like this is that Superman is so overpowered that he's boring

Now Goku is definitively way stronger than him and in the cheapest, laziest way too. So does that make Goku boring?

The answer is yes but not for the reasons they'd say yes, Goku just became a poo poo character the moment he stopped looking 10

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Namtab posted:

Gaijin cartoons are poo poo mate

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Further behind on Super than everyone else (around episode 28), but my Dragonball headcanon is that Frieza loving loves eating live crabs and while training ate nothing but live crabs.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Isn't part of the Kid Buu fight that Goku's kind of holding back to let Vegeta have a crack and that goes tits up?

yea that happens. he says something about how he could have already won if he hadn't wanted to let vegeta have a turn

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Mikedawson posted:

Further behind on Super than everyone else (around episode 28), but my Dragonball headcanon is that Frieza loving loves eating live crabs and while training ate nothing but live crabs.

Seeing this and your custom title, I like to imagine Sonic was the one serving crabs to Frieza.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Burkion posted:

The answer is yes but not for the reasons they'd say yes, Goku just became a poo poo character the moment he stopped looking 10

It's fine, he still acts like he's 10.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Burkion posted:

This amuses me because a go to complaint about Superman from really stupid DBZ fans in debates like this is that Superman is so overpowered that he's boring

Now Goku is definitively way stronger than him and in the cheapest, laziest way too. So does that make Goku boring?

Goku still gets his rear end kicked at 100%.
Supes pulls the "i was holding back" bullshit more than anime.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Crossposting from the LP DBZ Megathread:

Me, of course posted:

A channel I follow on Youtube added some videos about Taiketsu, a GBA game made by Webfoot, the guys behind the masterpiece that is the Legacy of Goku series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-CNf7YxLqA

Holy poo poo this game looks and plays terrible.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
Android 18 making GBS threads rockets was something I didn't expect.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
As a child who played Taiketsu on plane rides to visit family members I played a lot of Taiketsu, but I don't remember actually having fun and getting Supersonic Warriors was like a ray of light on my life.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

• Locked thread