Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Thanks for reminding me of how lovely the first translation was of BNHA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it's kinda funny since it reads like the doctor is just being an rear end in a top hat and telling baby deku he has no personality

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Heroes are public figures but that doesn't mean they don't have private lives. It comes up when it is relevant, which is rarely.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
One of these days we'll learn that Aizawa is actually happily married with kids, but never talks about it because he likes to keep his work separate from his family life.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Tollymain posted:

xanth is a bad book series

You think the tiny, meek, hero worshipping, shrimpnerd Deku could've survived being choked by Muddy, shake off Hitoshi's mind control, or just keep on trucking despite shattering his bones like geodes every two days on his own? Naw man, there's secret powers at work inside him that even he doesn't know about.

It's almost like a stand but it just offers him a constant buff.

JosephWongKS posted:

I wonder whether her intelligence is an integral part of the Creation Quirk itself i.e. everyone who gets that Quirk also ends up being an academic genius, or if it's possible for the Quirk to appear in a person of average / lesser intelligence and therefore not be able to be used to its full potential.

Okuyasu Nijimura.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Rhonne posted:

One of these days we'll learn that Aizawa is actually happily married with kids, but never talks about it because he likes to keep his work separate from his family life.

He definitely seems like the type to keep a clear division.

Or maybe the Principal has a perfectly normal human wife and kids.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Fowl posted:

Or maybe the Principal has a perfectly normal human wife and kids.

That'd be incredibly creepy given that he isn't a human that appears as a rat, but a rat that has human intelligence as a quirk.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I thought he was just an animal person like tsuru.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Deku's dad is presumably a salaryman who spends 90% of his life working and the remainder sleeping.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Last Celebration posted:

I thought he was just an animal person like tsuru.

He's actually an animal with a super intelligence quirk.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Darth Walrus posted:

Deku's dad is presumably a salaryman who spends 90% of his life working and the remainder sleeping.

Pretty sure his parents are separated if not divorced

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
There's no word on that actually being the case.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Dabi is his dad.

Buckets
Apr 10, 2009

...THE CHILD...
I think it's just another case of anime dads always working so late they might as well not exist.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I didn't even think the "Salaryman dad" thing was still a common thing in Japan anymore.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
You guys are all crazy. Deku's dad has been in the last couple chapters.

Why else would his dad be MIA while All For One conveniently had his face messed up? Hell, the whole reason that All For One even took Tomura on as his apprentice is because All Might went and recruited his real son. Sure, that son was disappointing in that he was born without a quirk, but it's going to turn out that's only because All For One unknowingly removed it when Deku was still a baby.

That's why all of Bakugo's rear end in a top hat, bully friends got turned into Nomus and why All For One's doctor was the one young Midoriya and his mom went to.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I'm legit hoping we don't get any stupid American Capecomic "Nothing can ever be a coincidence" stuff here.

Like Dabi somehow being related to Todoroki, or Midoriya being Endeavor or AFO's bastard son or whatever.

I'm still kinda salty over the Justice League epilogue that ruins Batman Beyond.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
not even a century that completely transformed society and redefined what it means to be human could save the hapless japanese salaryman

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
It must be like the 1980's or something because you'd think Midoriya's dad would've shown up at the hospital or the police station after the mall and forest attacks.

Dad: Hey boss, my wife just called and said a vicious group of murders attacked my son and his friends at their camp, and he's currently in the hospital and may lose both of his arms which I am told look like large hunks of beef jerky. I think I'd like to be there.

Boss: We're drinking after work tonight. No.

Dad: Oh. Okay.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Buckets posted:

I think it's just another case of anime dads always working so late they might as well not exist.

Deku has a brother he doesn't know about named Ness.

Buckets
Apr 10, 2009

...THE CHILD...
I don't think either of Deku's parents ever visiting him after being hospitalized has ever actually been shown, after Stain he got an immediate visit from Mcgruff the crime dog. His parents were probably the ones who left him the bowl of fruit after the camp fight, though Deku was too busy being unconscious to see that.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
Since this manga takes so much inspiration from American comics, when do we get the storyline where Deku has to fight the evil alternate universe versions of himself and All Might? Along with a sickeningly sweet, yet also still evil, Bakugou.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I don't think this manga is supposed to run indefinitely.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Fabricated posted:

I'm still kinda salty over the Justice League epilogue that ruins Batman Beyond.

How did it ruin Batman Beyond? Don't tell me you cared about Terry's redheaded dead dad.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Gyges posted:

How did it ruin Batman Beyond? Don't tell me you cared about Terry's redheaded dead dad.

Lantern jaw Terry looks abysmal, and him being essentially a Bruce clone is really really stupid.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
The whole point of that scene was that Waller had attempted to make Bruce Wayne 2.0 but failed miserably. Terry was his own person with his own values, regardless of his dna.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Serious Frolicking posted:

The whole point of that scene was that Waller had attempted to make Bruce Wayne 2.0 but failed miserably. Terry was his own person with his own values, regardless of his dna.
Thus, it was a pointless story that didn't really need to be told that detracts from the whole thing. It effectively makes it like "destiny" made Terry Batman because he had to be Batman because Bruce DNA. Like I said, nothing can just be a coincidence.

It's really, really stupid. Like unforgivably stupid even for comics because even if he had the idea it's presented like a retcon.

"So yeah you're sort of a Bruce clone because we altered your dad's DNA before he conceived you. We were gonna kill your parents when you were little to try and turn you into another Batman but the Phantasm got cold feet so we sorta just dropped it and let you toddle off to have a regular life. But uh somehow you grew up and like 10 years later a badguy killed your dad anyway, and you ran into Bruce and became Batman so alls well that ends well I guess???" - A story the normally great Bruce Timm thought was good

e: To bring it back to the thread topic- like you know all those fan-fictiony theories about Midoriya being a failed Endeavor son or somehow being the son of All For One, or him having had his actual quirk stolen from him by All For One or whatever? It's kinda like those.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jun 1, 2016

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Fabricated posted:

e: To bring it back to the thread topic- like you know all those fan-fictiony theories about Midoriya being a failed Endeavor son or somehow being the son of All For One, or him having had his actual quirk stolen from him by All For One or whatever? It's kinda like those.

Like he stole it from him as a baby or whatever? It'd be a really dumb idea to steal an unknown quirk, there are lots that would gently caress up your body if you used them wrong. Unless he has a quirk-identifying quirk or something.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

RatHat posted:

Like he stole it from him as a baby or whatever? It'd be a really dumb idea to steal an unknown quirk, there are lots that would gently caress up your body if you used them wrong. Unless he has a quirk-identifying quirk or something.
Like I said, fan-fictiony stuff. Some people think Midoriya actually had a quirk, but that doctor he saw seems to work for AFO and between that and the suggestion from Horikoshi that he had used some of his old classmates for Noumu material started it.

Also spoilers are leaking out. Gonna be good!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Plus, Deku has the toe joint that means he never had a quirk. Whoever came up with that theory is incredibly goddamn dumb.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Rhonne posted:

Since this manga takes so much inspiration from American comics, when do we get the storyline where Deku has to fight the evil alternate universe versions of himself and All Might? Along with a sickeningly sweet, yet also still evil, Bakugou.

To be honest I'm not really seeing the parallels aside from All Might's character design and maybe some of the hero names.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Serious Frolicking posted:

Plus, Deku has the toe joint that means he never had a quirk. Whoever came up with that theory is incredibly goddamn dumb.

Well the theory goes "The doctor was in on it," it'd be super easy for him to bullshit an excuse for why Deku had no quirk. It's still not a great theory but come on.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

gnome7 posted:

Well the theory goes "The doctor was in on it," it'd be super easy for him to bullshit an excuse for why Deku had no quirk. It's still not a great theory but come on.

Sure, if you don't understand what that scene was even about (i.e., a stupid person). The point was to make it very clear that Deku didn't have a super secret power that even he was unaware of. That poo poo has been used in innumerable mediocre shounen fighting manga, after all. But with the doctor holding up an x-ray, there was proof that Deku was weak and powerless and would be for the rest of his life.
Then they kept piling on with how lovely Deku's life was. He idolized heroes, but the kid who was actually going to become one regularly bullied him. No one believed Deku could become a hero, and they were right. Even All Might, the person he had idolized for his entire life told him to give it up! It was all to provide more impact to the scene when Deku was told for the first time in his life that yes, he could actually be a hero.

But no, the first chapter which set the premise and tone of the rest of the manga was really about a super secret plot because two old guys look kind of similar. Even if that dumb as hell theory is true, what would it even mean? A41 is on his way out. He isn't Deku's enemy, Shigaraki is and Shigaraki wouldn't know or care what happened way back then. What, is A41 gonna give Shigaraki a bunch of quirks but specifically mention "oh hey this one came from a random baby from a normal family"?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
if im getting mad about anime then i am obviously posting about anime too much. later.

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!
It's frankly very closeminded of your to dismiss a theory simply because the only evidence in its favor is that there is no authors note says it is incorrect.

Remember absence of proof is not proof of absence!!!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

It's frankly very closeminded of your to dismiss a theory simply because the only evidence in its favor is that there is no authors note says it is incorrect.

Remember absence of proof is not proof of absence!!!

*posts several paragraphs about why he thinks Deku's father is Ichigo from Bleach*

After all absence of proof is not proof of absence and it would be close-minded to deny this possibility.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I think Deku's dad is John Cena cause he can spit hot fire and he never gives up. I think Deku clearly inherited that second one from his father. Who, again, is John Cena.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ytlaya posted:

*posts several paragraphs about why he thinks Deku's father is Ichigo from Bleach*

After all absence of proof is not proof of absence and it would be close-minded to deny this possibility.

I am pretty sure that was a joke post, given the first half. "The only evidence in its favor is that there is no authors note says it is incorrect," is hard to take seriously.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Shinjobi posted:

I think Deku's dad is John Cena cause he can spit hot fire and he never gives up. I think Deku clearly inherited that second one from his father. Who, again, is John Cena.
This checks out folks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Shinjobi posted:

Well reasoned. I think you've convinced me.