Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

SonicRulez posted:

If you were gonna augment the stuff, you'll be doing Coils anyway, no? To get Carbontwine and stuff.

Not necessarily. It can all be bought with Poetics and supplemented/replaced with WoD runs. A swing thru Final Coil wouldn't be bad for the achievements and the chance of loot, but I wouldn't recommend relying on it due to RNG and the fact that you pretty much need a group for it. For me, equipping alts has been easy enough through spare Poetics/leftover Carbon items from WoD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YamataNoOrochi
Oct 24, 2005

YamataNoOrochi posted:

A typical night in Alex Savage:

Thanks Shaezerus!

Not letting this get lost as last post on a page.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

SonicRulez posted:

Yes, but Final Coil gear looks nicer. If you were gonna augment the stuff, you'll be doing Coils anyway, no? To get Carbontwine and stuff. Plus the weapon is actually better than an augmented Ironworks weapon. You can do it with goons if you're really worried about getting screwed by RNG.

Running Final Coil for leveling gear is a tremendous waste of time. In the time it would take to get parties together and run them enough times to get a workable set of gear, you could just do quests and have outleveled it anyway.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

YamataNoOrochi posted:

A typical night in Alex Savage:

Thanks Shaezerus!

That is truly great!

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Nuebot posted:

What is there to know about tanking anyway? I kind of want to try it once I get my pugilist up.
Chiming in on this, the only thing that hasn't really been covered is what makes a great tank.
As Skaw said above/on the last page, Tanking isn't as hard as people make it out to be but it takes a lot of effort to be really great at it.

Basic Tanking boils down as such (aside from stuff everyone should know IE flanks, rears and fronts):
1. Know yourself. Know your cooldowns, what each ability does and the quirks with using them (last second Hallowed/Holmganging yet still dying issues :argh)
2. Know the enemy. Monster abilities, how they work, what range they have if they don't have a circle, if they can be stunned/silenced/pacified. Mostly important for bosses but it's handy knowing what basic enemies are dangerous. This also covers new content but in a different way: you should be learning what enemies do as quick as possible.

Advanced Tanking adds another thing:
3. Know your allies. Adjust your pace/cooldown usage to your party composition, as you're not going to pull the same when you have 2 BLM/SMN's with a SCH healing as you are with a DRK, MNK and a WHM. Gear level can influence this as well: if you intentionally pull too much and die because the healer can't keep you alive despite doing all they can, it's your fault for pulling too much. (Especially when synced either via level or ilvl.)

Great Tanks do all of the above in addition to another facet of each point:
1. Not only know what your cooldowns do, but what neat tricks you can do with them. For example: Holmgang is a tether, a snare and has a movement component to it. It can be used to stop some boss abilities by forcing them to move (or preventing them from doing so) which cancels their cast. DRK's Plunge can negate enemy knockbacks via good timing (the knockback hits you, you hit plunge, plunge keeps you in melee range of the boss because you were only knocked back for a split second before the abilities' movement component kicked in.)

2. Know the Enemy. What attacks are physical, what are magical, what kind of attacks they have and their quirks (Gaze attacks can be auto-dodged by not looking at the enemy when it resolves,) what they can do the party despite you tanking and what you can do about it (Magic Urns and their 50% HP Mysterious Light cast, stun them during it and they won't cast it again, if you stun before it happens they'll still have it as their next cast.)

3. Know your Allies. Why does the BLM not move out of certain AoE's, how the healers accomplish their healing, tricks that the DPS classes can do to put out rad numbers and mitigate certain enemy moves and what you can do to facilitate that.

Great Tanks tend to also be great people persons due to the whole 'sensible leader' thing (setting pace and knowing tons of stuff about everything) since good leaders also have that component.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

EponymousMrYar posted:

3. Know your Allies. Why does the BLM not move out of certain AoE's, how the healers accomplish their healing, tricks that the DPS classes can do to put out rad numbers and mitigate certain enemy moves and what you can do to facilitate that.

Let me tell you about all the times I set up my Ley Lines behind the tank for Calcabrina so I'm ready for Brace and then he loving turns her around.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

SonicRulez posted:

Yes, but Final Coil gear looks nicer.

:chloe:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Hamsterlady posted:

Let me tell you about all the times I set up my Ley Lines behind the tank for Calcabrina so I'm ready for Brace and then he loving turns her around.

That's the one stumbling block everyone trips up on at one point or another: DPS generally expect that they have to be the one's to move to maximize their DPS and then when the tank moves to help out with that they mess up more than if the tank had just stayed put. My rule of thumb: let them. It's way more common for dps to have to move than tanks and it's better for them to learn that at every opportunity than helping them eek out a bit more DPS by being lazy and letting you do it for them.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

EponymousMrYar posted:

That's the one stumbling block everyone trips up on at one point or another: DPS generally expect that they have to be the one's to move to maximize their DPS and then when the tank moves to help out with that they mess up more than if the tank had just stayed put. My rule of thumb: let them. It's way more common for dps to have to move than tanks and it's better for them to learn that at every opportunity than helping them eek out a bit more DPS by being lazy and letting you do it for them.
BLMs not having to move is saving them a lot of DPS loss, actually

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I'm still looking for coil people and it's a challenge. Mostly I have patchwork armor from 50-58 which is not that bad really. I've checked PF but no related groups up and shouts feel like a waste of time. Maybe when I hit 60?

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Yeah. I'm talking about a situation where a tank specifically forced me to move for no benefit (he maybe thought she cleaves and would hit me because I was behind him? It just meant I had to move (and abandon my leylines!!!) when she used brace though)

Griz
May 21, 2001

as a WHM/occasional DPS, a good tank is someone who can
1) use cooldowns on big pulls so they don't require constant healing
2) hold aggro through holy spam, or at least promptly regain aggro on anything they lose
3) move mobs out of ground aoe so melee dps can do their positionals without having to stand in the fire

if you can do all of these, you're already better than most of the tanks I get in EXDR. a really good tank also knows when they can safely drop tank stance on bosses to get some extra dps from a triple fell cleave berserk cycle or whatever DRK does.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

And the BLM probably knows when/how to move to mitigate that loss more than the tank does since the tank also has two other party members to worry about in addition to what they have to deal with. It's the lowest thing on my priority list when I tank really :v:

People also tend to spread for Calcobrina due to her gaze attack and when you have two ranged DPS where moving makes them lose that DPS, three people and the boss moving is going to mess them up more than just the two of them moving.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

How to tank:
1. Don't pull everything in the room in Aurum Vale while your scholar is putting protect back on their bars
2. {/doze}

I might switch over to TPT because I can probably get quicker help with crafting and there are probably more seniors in that guild that care about taking advantage of my newbie bonuses.
I like DGKK though also, and I'll want to try PBC when i eventually ever get geared up with the weekly currency to try the raids.
D: PS3 please {Exit Game} so I can be in all three as an alliance

Even if TBT is as quiet as DGKK at night I can still reasonably get my stuff done as a Healer with fast Queues and 'll probably get paladin rolling pretty quickly.

For the person who asked what timezone i'm in. Im in mountain time which is an hour off of west/best coast time and I work evenings 10pm-6am and so thats my primary active time on my days off sun/mon and then on the weekdays weds-sat i usually just stop by in the early morning and ill probably just focus on doing beast quests / challenge log stuff and maybe one levelling/guildhest roulette for an alt

Irae
Nov 19, 2011

zolthorg posted:

If there are any goons who want to craft level 50 sets I want to get working on my
Paladin/Warr, Monk, Dragoon and Archer again at some point soon as I've done too many roulettes on my main class and i've only just gotten Leviathan unlocked at level 52 already D:
I also have BLM at ~basically 50,

I'm online mostly during EU evening and the weekend, message "Una Ventful" and I'll make your stuff.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Irae posted:

I'm online mostly during EU evening and the weekend, message "Una Ventful" and I'll make your stuff.

I usually see you on. We'll break bread sometime soonish

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

EponymousMrYar posted:

1. Not only know what your cooldowns do, but what neat tricks you can do with them. For example: Holmgang is a tether, a snare and has a movement component to it. It can be used to stop some boss abilities by forcing them to move (or preventing them from doing so) which cancels their cast. DRK's Plunge can negate enemy knockbacks via good timing (the knockback hits you, you hit plunge, plunge keeps you in melee range of the boss because you were only knocked back for a split second before the abilities' movement component kicked in.)

Half the reason I play warrior is to find creative ways to use holmgang. It's perfect for the tankbuster in M1S because it negates the knockback and lets me stay in deliverance.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

EponymousMrYar posted:

MCHs who get their rotation perfect suddenly go mental when an AST gives them Spear. It can be a beautiful thing to watch.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Alder posted:

I'm still looking for coil people and it's a challenge. Mostly I have patchwork armor from 50-58 which is not that bad really. I've checked PF but no related groups up and shouts feel like a waste of time. Maybe when I hit 60?

You'll want to keep an eye out in party finder (or make your own). Otherwise it depends on your goal and why you're running coil:

If the goal is to run them repeatedly to farm equipment for glamour (or any similar reason, such as crafting drops or music sheets), a major component of that is to kill fast because you'll be doing the same fight over and over and over until the things people want actually decide to drop. This means a. doing it unsynced and b. being as leveled and geared as reasonably possible.

Get to 60, get pretty decently geared so you can kill poo poo fast, then worry about going back to collect pretty armor sets once you can pull your weight in a farm. The occasional farm-for-glamour parties aren't going anywhere. They're not terribly common but the desire isn't going to disappear either, nor are the mechanics that allow you to go back into older content to farm it. (If anything, it'll be progressively easier the longer you wait, as people will get more and more geared and consequently kill poo poo even faster still.) Timing relative to patch releases helps too, as it's easier to find people (for anything) when you're not in a pre-patch lull.

If the goal is to run through coil once and once only for the story, then you don't need to worry so much about pulling your weight and being leveled and geared, but you'll still need to start your own party via guild/linkshell/friends/party finder. Advertise your newbie poetics bonus, that'll sometimes get a few extra bites (though it depends on the demand for poetics - this was a much bigger deal when the anima grind first came out, for example). Don't worry about contributing, as a few geared 60s can easily carry you through coil regardless of your damage/mechanic contribution (so long as you don't gently caress up some mechanic in a way that wipes the whole party, e.g. half of turn 9's mechanics).

If the goal is to get some good equipment to level with on the 50-60 trek (be it for main or for alt job), ignore coil entirely and either spend poetics on ironworks gear (ilvl 120, can be upgraded to 130) or get a friendly crafter to make ilvl 115 gear (and maybe a few weapon upgrades between there and 60, armor too if you're a tank). Since you'll outlevel whatever you get fairly quickly, go for gear that's quick and reliable to get in the first place. Random drops from coil bosses that people only infrequently farm, do not qualify as "quick and reliable".

Vil fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Jun 1, 2016

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

ApplesandOranges posted:

MCHs who get their rotation perfect suddenly go mental when an AST gives them Spear. It can be a beautiful thing to watch.

Dropping Arrow on a BLM can also really gently caress with them.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

vOv posted:

Dropping Arrow on a BLM can also really gently caress with them.

Arrow on BLM is loving awesome unless you're doing AOE, in which case it's just annoying because you have to wait a bit longer after your mana tick before you can cast Fire 3 to avoid only having like 2000 mp

EponymousMrYar posted:

A fun thing to do in A5 Normal mode as PLD: cover the other tank for the tankbuster to soak it for them without having to Provoke.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Tanking does have its rewards, like the mounts or the satisfaction of watching people freak out when you tank Labyrinth and Crystal Tower bosses somewhere else than the usual location.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Unguided posted:

Tanking does have its rewards, like the mounts or the satisfaction of watching people freak out when you tank Labyrinth and Crystal Tower bosses somewhere else than the usual location.

Anywhere but north for Bone Dragon will cause people to throw the biggest fit. Even if you drag it directly in any other cardinal direction, which is literally no different than tanking north in terms of mechanic execution. Tank the Bone Dragon south, watch people flip out just as much as if you tanked it center.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Hamsterlady posted:

Arrow on BLM is loving awesome unless you're doing AOE, in which case it's just annoying because you have to wait a bit longer after your mana tick before you can cast Fire 3 to avoid only having like 2000 mp

Yeah, that's what I mean. When I don't have Ley Lines up I'm used to just mashing F3 while I'm in Umbral, so sometimes I'll just double-F2 without noticing and feel like an idiot because I'm OOM and Transpose won't be up for another two or three seconds.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

When I get back from vacation next week I want to try and actually get a coil clear; it's been hard getting a group with a lot of the regular players on break until 3.3.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I hope I get my mount soon. Running across the world then back to Minifilia is a pain in the rear end.
EDIT: Also some guy invited me randomly to a free company. But I can't access the guild chest thing and there's only like, four or five other people in it :shrug: hopefully it grows or I can find a better one by the time I hit the level cap and need to do the stuff you can't just get random jerks for.

Nuebot fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Jun 1, 2016

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Nuebot posted:

I hope I get my mount soon. Running across the world then back to Minifilia is a pain in the rear end.

Teleport to Limsa Lominsa-->Arcanists Guild--> Ferry right to the Waking Sands

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Hamsterlady posted:

Anywhere but north for Bone Dragon will cause people to throw the biggest fit. Even if you drag it directly in any other cardinal direction, which is literally no different than tanking north in terms of mechanic execution. Tank the Bone Dragon south, watch people flip out just as much as if you tanked it center.

i have literally never seen anyone care about the dragon being tanked in the center

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Tamba posted:

Teleport to Limsa Lominsa-->Arcanists Guild--> Ferry right to the Waking Sands

set limsa as your home because its a main city and it has the best teleports once you know the aethernet

gridania and uldah make more sense for running around but their teleports are farther away

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Nuebot posted:

Also some guy invited me randomly to a free company. But I can't access the guild chest thing and there's only like, four or five other people in it :shrug: hopefully it grows or I can find a better one by the time I hit the level cap and need to do the stuff you can't just get random jerks for.

If you're on Excalibur, join a goon FC.
If you're not on Excalibur, do yourself a favor and transfer/make a new cat girl.

Seriously...

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Robviously posted:

If you're on Excalibur, join a goon FC.
If you're not on Excalibur, do yourself a favor and transfer/make a new cat girl.

Seriously...

I joined the game to play with a friend and I doubt they'd want to transfer their character :shrug:

EDIT:
It's everything I'd hoped for.

Nuebot fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Jun 1, 2016

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

zolthorg posted:

How to tank:
1. Don't pull everything in the room in Aurum Vale while your scholar is putting protect back on their bars
2. {/doze}

I might switch over to TPT because I can probably get quicker help with crafting and there are probably more seniors in that guild that care about taking advantage of my newbie bonuses.
I like DGKK though also, and I'll want to try PBC when i eventually ever get geared up with the weekly currency to try the raids.
D: PS3 please {Exit Game} so I can be in all three as an alliance

Even if TBT is as quiet as DGKK at night I can still reasonably get my stuff done as a Healer with fast Queues and 'll probably get paladin rolling pretty quickly.

For the person who asked what timezone i'm in. Im in mountain time which is an hour off of west/best coast time and I work evenings 10pm-6am and so thats my primary active time on my days off sun/mon and then on the weekdays weds-sat i usually just stop by in the early morning and ill probably just focus on doing beast quests / challenge log stuff and maybe one levelling/guildhest roulette for an alt

Just a note, we are currently in the typical pre patch lull since we are a week out from 3.3. I would expect all of the FCs to be a bit quieter or slower than usual since folks tend to take breaks to refresh themselves. I know DGKK has had fewer folks on for that reason.

Go to any FC you would like, of course, just note that they are all probably going to be less active than they will be in a week.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Nuebot posted:

EDIT: Also some guy invited me randomly to a free company. But I can't access the guild chest thing and there's only like, four or five other people in it :shrug: hopefully it grows or I can find a better one by the time I hit the level cap and need to do the stuff you can't just get random jerks for.

Mounts show up around level 20. Once you join a grand company and do whatever the first quest is. You should get another side quest to get a Choco.

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

You have to grind some seals too for mount license but I think they nerfed it so you can get it like same day you pick up the quest

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

mallamp posted:

You have to grind some seals too for mount license but I think they nerfed it so you can get it like same day you pick up the quest

Yeah I just ran around and grabbed every profession and did the things and the challenge log poo poo out a thousand marks. I assume I can't get this turtle to fly until I hit level 50? At least I can zoom around at sonic speeds now :toot:.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Flying is only in the expansion zones.

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

Yeah, flying is Heavensward only and even then requires some unlocking, but it'll be explained when you get there

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
You can still use flying mounts on the ground though.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

mallamp posted:

It's only 200 seals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Yeah, these days it's literally "Go kill 3 of whatever sort of ifrit-worshipping lizardman near Drybone your GC particularly hates, come back and buy your chocobo"

• Locked thread