Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

The Kislev t5 unique building gives starting ranks to all agents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Kestral posted:

Is there a single solitary reason to use Heinrich Kemmler if you started with Mannfred? As far as I can tell he has nothing going for him over even a recruitable Vampire Lord - his quest items aren't that impressive and wouldn't even bring him to melee-parity with a vampire, and his regen aura is pathetic. What am I missing here?

Literally the only thing Kemmler brings to the table that a Vampire Lord doesn't is his patheitc HP regen aura and his forgettable magic items, yes. Necromancer Lords are generally garbage in their current form.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Here is my turn 70 very hard undead Campaign.

Altdorf was a massive bloody battle and it's been a source of fresh top tier troops for every army I have and it seems to refresh it's offering every few turns, a terrorgheist showed up in raise dead after awhile, might of been the rebels and what was left of Karl.

I got three two top tier armies in Reikland and one heading to destroy the Karak Hirn dwarves and the Karak Norn are keeping the bret factions busy with raids.

My question is, what should be my next step on the campaign, wipe out the coastline of bret factions and their corruption cleansing shrines, or finish off the rest of the dwarves and get some rich border prince cities, or should I start preparing for the warriors of chaos to hit Slyvania and my two vassals guarding me, in case their mid-tier couple of stacks and my walled minor settlements aren't enough to hold them since I've never fought the chaos warriors yet, and then prepare to settle the razed north with a horde of zombies?

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Undead get bonus for beast chain in Tempelhof, northern port province and in both regions in a province near forest in Bretonia. I've taken it in my VC game recently and I'll try if it stacks. Too bad at that point +4 to varghulf exp isn't really anything jaw dropping.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Here is my turn 70 very hard undead Campaign.

Altdorf was a massive bloody battle and it's been a source of fresh top tier troops for every army I have and it seems to refresh it's offering every few turns, a terrorgheist showed up in raise dead after awhile, might of been the rebels and what was left of Karl.

I got three two top tier armies in Reikland and one heading to destroy the Karak Hirn dwarves and the Karak Norn are keeping the bret factions busy with raids.

My question is, what should be my next step on the campaign, wipe out the coastline of bret factions and their corruption cleansing shrines, or finish off the rest of the dwarves and get some rich border prince cities, or should I start preparing for the warriors of chaos to hit Slyvania and my two vassals guarding me, in case their mid-tier couple of stacks and my walled minor settlements aren't enough to hold them since I've never fought the chaos warriors yet, and then prepare to settle the razed north with a horde of zombies?

You're waay better than I am, I've mostly agent hosed enemies taking a province or two until Archaon came knocking from Kislev. I'd kill off Brets since they are laughingly easy until you're forced to fight their cav on open field

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

alex314 posted:

Undead get bonus for beast chain in Tempelhof, northern port province and in both regions in a province near forest in Bretonia. I've taken it in my VC game recently and I'll try if it stacks. Too bad at that point +4 to varghulf exp isn't really anything jaw dropping.

Don't look at it as varghulf XP, look at it as terrorgheist XP.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Night10194 posted:

It is totally a thing. Sigvald is amazing.

Sigvald is hilarious. He just starts dropping sick rhymes in the middle of his first quest out of the blue. Because he's that flashy.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I feel like the spells could use a balance pass and some reworks, most notably the lore of death just being point and click "you die" spells that snipe powerful units or lone generals and super units, I'd much prefer if the heavy damage dealing spells were the big massive flashy spells that could be avoided or backfire, instead of just point and click, so you'd actually have to hold them down with zombies if you wanted them to stay in it.

I'd like to see the soul leech turned into something that only works in melee with the vampire and transfers health between the units, I'd like to see the purple sun actually do something besides being a expensive inconvenience and I'd like to see the fate of bjuna do something else then just murder full stacks.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Vargs posted:

Where is this indicated? I don't see anything in-game or in the encyclopedia, whereas something like skeleton spearmen specifically says Anti-Large on their unit cards and have a charge defense vs. large buff on the bottom. Is it a tech? I haven't done a greenskin campaign.
http://whenc.totalwar.com/#/unit/wh_main_grn_inf_orc_big_uns

The encyclopedia is poo poo and doesn't show half the bonuses for whatever reason. Ingame tooltips for weapon strength, large bonus, and bigger & 'arder respectively.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
gently caress fighting dwarves as greenskins, just charged a unit of hammerers with three units of orc boys from three directions and they managed to kill 250 units before they broke despite being totally surrounded the whole time.

Cant wait for my next tier of units.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Korgan posted:

The encyclopedia is poo poo and doesn't show half the bonuses for whatever reason. Ingame tooltips for weapon strength, large bonus, and bigger & 'arder respectively.

Some of those traits listed in the unit descriptions are just for flavor or general hint as to what kind of unit it is, such as 'expendable, and also 'bigger and 'arder'. All the actual abilities and stats are listed in the stat block.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Jun 1, 2016

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I wouldn't know terrogheist poison on hit or that goblin cavalry have vanguard deployment without using them myself and checking the little icons on the bottom.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Abongination posted:

gently caress fighting dwarves as greenskins, just charged a unit of hammerers with three units of orc boys from three directions and they managed to kill 250 units before they broke despite being totally surrounded the whole time.

I am having the exact same issues right now. Took over the world as Dwarves just fine; but the moment I decide to try my hand at a Greenskin campaign I have a very pissed off Grudgebearer and Friends invading Iron Rock and breaking my poo poo apart.

Early goblin cav dosen't work except to maaaaaaybe remove a Grudge Thrower from combat; boyz get attritioned out in melee, archers don't do poo poo to them and finally the free stack of Black Orcs you get with Grimgor's starting army gets chewed up by hammerers (which never did poo poo in my Dwarf game)

What am I missing Orc-whisperers?

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Gridlocked posted:

I am having the exact same issues right now. Took over the world as Dwarves just fine; but the moment I decide to try my hand at a Greenskin campaign I have a very pissed off Grudgebearer and Friends invading Iron Rock and breaking my poo poo apart.

Early goblin cav dosen't work except to maaaaaaybe remove a Grudge Thrower from combat; boyz get attritioned out in melee, archers don't do poo poo to them and finally the free stack of Black Orcs you get with Grimgor's starting army gets chewed up by hammerers (which never did poo poo in my Dwarf game)

What am I missing Orc-whisperers?

What difficulty are you on? I never had too much trouble fighting the dwarves on normal. Battles weren't necessarily pretty but I'd finish them up alright. Goblin Great Shamans have some really useful buffs and debuffs, a +AP damage for ~10 seconds and -34 melee attack for ~30, which should completely shut down the ability of warriors to actually deal damage. I'm pretty sure boyz have superior stats to dwarf warriors, minus armour and leadership, so if you can swamp them you'll win out eventually.

Grimgor's starting doomdiver is great for forcing the dwarves to come to you and denying them some effectiveness with quarrelers. I think I usually ran with Boyz spread reasonably thin so I could envelop them, flank with gobbo spears for the extra AP, run 5 or so ranged units to either beat their skirmish line or just soak fire and slam Grimgor into anything too problematic. He gets beat up if he gets swamped with AP units, so try to tie those up with boyz and use your black orcs on other things. Your archer units are ok in melee, and sending a unit of boyz or spears at their ranged line can tie them up or force them to run off. Better to use up one unit than let them keep shooting at your melee.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
I've done most of a Greenskins campaign on Hard and while it was hectic as hell in the early game, I didn't have that much trouble with the Dwarfs. I started with Grimgor, and him, his black orcs, and the doomdivers were my bread and butter in fights. I found orc boys and even goblins to be kind of useful, since basic dwarf warriors don't actually do that much damage and you can get the numbers advantage and surround them, and it was also very helpful to get a unit of trolls as soon as possible - not to charge the dwarf lines head-on, but to use them as a flanking unit and tear them to bits. Arrer boys do more than you think, too, if you can focus fire with them - I found goblin archers don't do very much but if you're patient you can get some utility out of wolf rider archers to take out grudge throwers and the like.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Abongination posted:

Yeah, basic Orc Boys are poo poo and can't really stand up against any dwarven infantry save perhaps miners. Replace them entirely with Big'Uns as soon as you can.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Am I bugged or just missing something obvious? I did a mission to kill an enemy lord in exchange for +5 diplo and a really nice rare magic wand I was going to give to Azhag. Go siege, autoresolve because the Slayer King is a pos and his garrison couldn't save him, win, get the mission complete and 'hey your item is available now' and it's not there. Nobody has it, it's not in any of the inventory options, I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

I did run into this earlier with a magic talisman but my warboss died retrieving it so I assumed he lost it, but now I'm not so sure.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
What I did was confederate and take over everything near me immediately and made alliances with one or two of the friendlier ones further away like the bloody spears and savage orcs, with the bloody spears confederating with me much later when they lost their armies to the northern dwarves.

If you just focus on the tribes, raiding and warring as much as possible to get a WARGH from two armies at once you can just march them over to the dwarves capital and overwhelm them, by turn 20ish I had azshag dealing with rebellions and sacking the far east and had 2 other lords and 3 WARGH sieging the capital.

Oh, and if it wasn't for the sacking bonus gold, Azshag is awful, just awful, turn 60 and the goblin boss has only made it halfway to the chaos wastes to start his crown quest.

I like the concept of these quest battles, but they seem to have far too much walking time for something that starts on a level 8 or 13 lord.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Jun 1, 2016

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Started a new hard dwarfs campaign, rushed north and confederated the dwarfs there, and as expected Grimgor showed up with a waagh from the south.

But I didn't expect him to charge the walls of my capital. If the 14-strong garrison hadn't pummeled him to death (literally had two units of hammers waiting for him when he eventually climbed to the top of the walls), the half stack army I held in reserve the whole battle would have.

The waagh showed more sense and laid a real siege, which I broke and scattered and now young Grogni Orc-Bane is a level 7 badass.

Now those dumb plains dwarfs are 1 or 2 turns from death and I don't know whether to confederate to save them. The public order penalties are a bitch, but dwarfen honour...

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
How do you conferedate as Empire? Despite being best buddies to Nuln since the early days, no one wants to group up (this is pre-chaos horde arriving).

Alberto Basalm
Nov 14, 2005

Comstar posted:

How do you conferedate as Empire? Despite being best buddies to Nuln since the early days, no one wants to group up (this is pre-chaos horde arriving).

You gotta get really good in with their relations and also be much more powerful than them

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Comstar posted:

Pulling them into a few wars helps.

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

What happens if you offer a shitload of money to confederate and they accept? Do you get it back? Hm

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Comstar posted:

Wait until they're under threat from chaos/vamps

Shumagorath posted:

Awakening tribes is a waste of time since they'll end up fighting each other sooner or later and if you back the wrong one you'll be fighting norscans for 100+ turns like I was.

You need to make them vassels after you awaken them, seems to stop the fighting.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Korgan posted:

Am I bugged or just missing something obvious? I did a mission to kill an enemy lord in exchange for +5 diplo and a really nice rare magic wand I was going to give to Azhag. Go siege, autoresolve because the Slayer King is a pos and his garrison couldn't save him, win, get the mission complete and 'hey your item is available now' and it's not there. Nobody has it, it's not in any of the inventory options, I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

I did run into this earlier with a magic talisman but my warboss died retrieving it so I assumed he lost it, but now I'm not so sure.

Does Azhag have a casting item slot? Only casters get those IIRC and I don't know whether he does.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Gitro posted:

Does Azhag have a casting item slot? Only casters get those IIRC and I don't know whether he does.

Yeah just checked that, I thought maybe because the original boss who completed the mission didn't get a casting slot it didn't award it for whatever reason, so reloaded and farted around until Azhag had enough boys to give it a go. Nope, same thing happened, got the award message, no Skull Wand of Kaloth. :(

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

genericnick posted:

Pulling them into a few wars helps.

Yeah, I find that by far the most effective way to build support is to join a war on their side.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Mazz posted:

The assembly is already available in your steam tools, but there is a thing on Total War Center called the Pack File Manager that is the unofficial tool since like Shogun 2.

The Assembly kit is more well defined with all the table values and such, but the PFM is much more intuitative for actually building a mod from IMO. There are tutorials on how to do all kinds of stuff on TWC. Changing weapons can actually be two different things:

1. The weapon stats are in land_units, and it as absolutely no connection to the visual representation on the unit. You can make a swordsman have the weapon stats of Grimgor if you wanted, or make crossbowman shoot incredibly buffed versions of the blasting charges if you so felt like it. Neither of these changes would change the weapon they carry or the animation set if you don't change those things specifically.

2. The visual aspect of units is controlled in the variantmesh files, and is done a little differently. It's a bit tedious but its basically a text file with a bunch of pointers to the different weapon/armor models attached to different bones on the model. For adding/changing weapons its just as easy as adding more lines/new lines to the corrent pointer.
I tried making a simple mod to get the hang of the tools. I was trying to change Hellcannons so they only had one ammunition. But it doesn't seem to have worked. I changed the "primary_ammo" entry for Hellcannons under land_unit_tables, saved the whole thing as a mod and loaded it up in the mod manager - but Hellcannons still seem to have plenty of ammo. Is modding significantly more complicated than changing individual table entries or am I missing something obvious?

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
Fun fact. As Chaos you can vassalize the green skins.

You know all that cash you never use? Give it to them as payment for vassalization. Then cackle with glee as they proceed to curb stomp half the world.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Mazz posted:

By turn 10 you can have an army with 6-7 warriors buffed by Lord of Axes and 6-7 quarrelers with the 10% damage tech buff. Throw two grudge throwers in strictly to fight his starting doom diver and you can beat him with ease. Try to catch him underway so there is no retreat, and set up so that your flanks are against the white OOB lines. His riders are now useless, focus the black orcs with quarrelers and kill everyone else, then make Grimgor your bitch with everything left.

Once you take all 3 regions of the starting province, move Thorgrim to the Pillars and wait for Grimgor there. He should show up in 2-4 turns and do so in a way you can set up the ambush or underway interception. Once he's down, you'll have the breathing room to get the first quest done and get ready to push on Gunbad.

Took your advice and sent Grimgor running. I locked him in a threeway between the Karaz garrison, my random hero's garrisoned armies and thorim's army who stood in ambush. I had over a thousand dwarves including longbeards and thunderers, and I STILL couldn't finish him off.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Also, does anyone else think that the "please buy our miniatures too" shill is a bit pathetic?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Ilustforponydeath posted:

Also, does anyone else think that the "please buy our miniatures too" shill is a bit pathetic?

Not when half this thread are crying about GW "not taking advantage" of the advertising this game should generate for their dead bad game.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Yeah, now buy those Orruks or probably last two Dwarf minis left before they became Shithead Duardin..

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I think the dwarfs should be reworked. As it stands, it is just so, so much more fun to play as Empire fighting Greenskins (and vice versa) than it is to fight dwarfs. When I get bored and start stomping Dwarf provinces as Empire, I pretty much solely rely on autoresolve for those stupid fights. Same as any other race. Actually fighting dwarfs is the most frustrating thing. Empire is by far the funnest race (in battle).

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

We are keeping the Bloodbowl precedent of playing against Dwarfs just being a miserable experience.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Playing against Dwarfs in tabletop was also a boring, miserable experience.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

ZearothK posted:

We are keeping the Bloodbowl precedent of playing against Dwarfs just being a miserable experience.

Playing against Dark Elves was worse.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Ilustforponydeath posted:

It's pretty funny when you can go to the page and there are like 8 items of a discontinued line.

And I just think of it like buying models of eve spaceships, or master chief figures or whatever. It's gone beyond the original game and now they are just Warhams Total War or Vermintide figures.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Why do I have to stop and siege with Chaos, but Dwarven armies can just attack with their artillery? Am I missing something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Fat Samurai posted:

Why do I have to stop and siege with Chaos, but Dwarven armies can just attack with their artillery? Am I missing something?

Nope, it's because they have artillery. Really dumb if you're running with Kholek or a varghulf or something. I don't need a battering ram, I brought my own.

• Locked thread