Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

oh my god

e: This is really cool and I'm downloading this immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

This is one of those things you didn't know you needed, but can never live without, now

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

GIMME. Downloading immediately. They need to incorporate this into the vanilla game, it's so obvious in retrospect.

Friction
Aug 15, 2001

Glorious!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Network extentions updated with a bunch of new pedestrian stuff. They finally implemented my dream of a ped road with wide sidewalks and a middle bike lane. The only problem is the intersections for it don't match and are just huge concrete areas with airport taxiway style lines, and they gave the straight sections a unique white stone texture and huge bike lane signs every few meters of road. I assume a lot of this is still work in progress, but it's really cool.

Also the fixed ped road intersections, they make little bollards now where they interact with normal roads, nice detail! I'd be happy if they just used the same sidewalk texture so it all blended, right now the gleaming white stone sidewalks super jump out.

It's such a great idea but the sidewalk texture is badddd

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 18:56 on May 31, 2016

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012
That prop line tool video is amazing. What kills me is that a lot of the UI, especially the drag/drop curve editing, would be loving GREAT for roads and stuff!

C:S is a great step forward for citybuilders, but man I wish CO had more development resources and, frankly, talent. The best decision they made was opening the game up so broadly to modders, because people are doing crazy-awesome stuff with the game. But the downside then is that you have to put up with all the usual modding overhead in terms of time spent installing and configuring mods, dealing with bugs and incompatibilities, and performance hits. It's like Kerbal City Program over here.

I would kill for an update that just rolled a bunch of the best mods into the base game, polished them, made them play nicely together, fixed bugs, and optimized performance.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Supraluminal posted:

That prop line tool video is amazing. What kills me is that a lot of the UI, especially the drag/drop curve editing, would be loving GREAT for roads and stuff!

C:S is a great step forward for citybuilders, but man I wish CO had more development resources and, frankly, talent. The best decision they made was opening the game up so broadly to modders, because people are doing crazy-awesome stuff with the game. But the downside then is that you have to put up with all the usual modding overhead in terms of time spent installing and configuring mods, dealing with bugs and incompatibilities, and performance hits. It's like Kerbal City Program over here.

I would kill for an update that just rolled a bunch of the best mods into the base game, polished them, made them play nicely together, fixed bugs, and optimized performance.

The game made buckets of money, I don't know why they didn't just wait a few months to see who the best modding talent is then hire them to implement their poo poo directly in the game and make future improvements since a lot of the modding community clearly has better ideas and talent than CO. After the last "expansions" they should just give up on the whole ideas/direction front and let bloodypenguin and the network extensions crew make a big directly implemented expansion that adds all their stuff properly.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

I want the Lock mechanism for roads!

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

Baronjutter posted:

The game made buckets of money, I don't know why they didn't just wait a few months to see who the best modding talent is then hire them to implement their poo poo directly in the game and make future improvements since a lot of the modding community clearly has better ideas and talent than CO. After the last "expansions" they should just give up on the whole ideas/direction front and let bloodypenguin and the network extensions crew make a big directly implemented expansion that adds all their stuff properly.
Baronjutter.txt

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
It is a valid point.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It's also pretty much what paradox did with EU4. Wiz was making really good mods and seemed to understand a lot of the core mechanics of the game and what makes it fun for players even better than the current devs, so they hired him on to help by introducing new ideas and directly implement some of his mod ideas into the game. I think CO desperately needs an outsider, a player and modder who's passionate about the game, really understands the nitty gritty of the mechanics, understands what the player base really finds fun, and most importantly sees its future potential.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I tried making a small American town with that big blank pavement road they've added into the Network Extensions Mod.

As the first screenshot shows, it doesn't quite transition right into vanilla paved streets, but imo it does look good for less developed areas. 4/5, would use again for roads in rural areas and small towns.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Was sick home from work on monday so played a lot of skylines...

Old town harbour

Main Squares

Buildings in need of custom LODs

Transition between new town and old town

Entry into the city

New suburban university and sunken park. This was fun to make. I had this roundabout already but wanted the university to feel more connected to the city. What you can do is change the road mode to force a bridge, upgrade the roads which will turn them into bridges flat on the ground, then deform the ground under them as you want. The bridges stay put and the ground moves, leaving you with a perfect copy of your ground roads as bridges.

Industrial area would never fill out with that much industry so I added a working class village.

Looking in to the city from the hillside suburbs

Isolated suburban metro station, actually gets a lot of use from the suburbs on the other side of the highway.

Large park near a major roundabout and metro station

Overall map of the city layout. It's feeling right for a mid sized european town with a lot of history. The jumble of streets in the older medieval areas, the grand avenues with terminating vistas on landmarks and grids of the more modern parts, and finally some transit based suburbs on the outer edges.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

Buildings in need of custom LODs
If it helps, I'm pretty sure that hi-res screenshots (ctrl+f12) render buildings further away, making screwy LODs less of an issue when sharing screenshots since they'll only show up a greater distance away and so be smaller in the shot.

Just, you know, also make sure to resize hi-res screenshots down before sharing.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
You can also download LOD toggler by Boformer and hit CTRL + . IIRC. That and the dynamic resolution mod make for way better screenshots as a start. Then it's into the abyss of custom textures, LUTs, and Photoshop.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Baron that looks awesome, good job.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

Transition between new town and old town

New suburban university and sunken park. This was fun to make. I had this roundabout already but wanted the university to feel more connected to the city. What you can do is change the road mode to force a bridge, upgrade the roads which will turn them into bridges flat on the ground, then deform the ground under them as you want. The bridges stay put and the ground moves, leaving you with a perfect copy of your ground roads as bridges.

These two things are both really amazing and well done.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
I'm looking at whether or not I can make this 'stone' and 'brick' thing work for me:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Koesj posted:

I'm looking at whether or not I can make this 'stone' and 'brick' thing work for me:

The white stone wall probably needs a bit of roughness, one way or another. It looks too smooth right now, almost like plastic bricks.
Less weathered bricks will often have random ones that have a much stronger specular reflection causing interesting highlight patterns on walls. Something to consider.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Regarding the stone, you'd think that, and I thought so too, but I've been checking out refurbished downtown buildings on streetview a lot and I was surprised to see how clean-looking they are. With the bricksI was thinking the same thing but I'll have to see how far I can go without massive repitition kicking in. Everything's tiled up to the hilt and it's not particularly nice to see it all lining up from oblique angles. I'd rather have a bland building than an ugly one.

Also gently caress this game for overexposing and oversaturating everything. It's basically Samsung phone screens: The Game.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I spend a fair amount of time of in catia at work and when I get home and play cities I try to manipulate the ui the same way as I would during the day. I always thought it would be nice to be able to define shapes (drawing polygons is an inevitable extension of the UI in the mod so far), curves and angles like you would when you're sketching out your pad so it's cool to see someone taking the first steps towards that.

Like I understand not everyone wants their city builder ui to look like a CAD program even if I do so I see why paradox didn't do something like this from the beginning

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Ofaloaf posted:

I tried making a small American town with that big blank pavement road they've added into the Network Extensions Mod.

Hey! I just started doing the same thing too before I saw this post. Of course, yours looks a lot better as expected.

Also, before I've been able to have people move into a city after removing all highways/rail to their little outside connection nubs and using just the harbor, but now it won't work. I connected a road to see if that would work to jump-start it but nope. Gave up and using rail to do it. I don't know if rush hour or the realistic pop./travel re-balance mods caused this or if it's something wrong with that Newcastle, AU map someone posted. The harbor doesn't even get any use from tourists, it's weird.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I don't know if it matters, but I think the map-required highway connection needs to be just a tiny minimal loop at the edge of the map and never enter any playable tiles. Long ago I did an island map where a highway came to a little mainland area, but the bulk of the map was an island. It didn't work because I guess the game detected I had a road connection to my city. When I made a map in the editor with just a highway loop hidden in a corner it worked fine, took a few months though for the first ships to really arrive though.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Baronjutter posted:

I don't know if it matters, but I think the map-required highway connection needs to be just a tiny minimal loop at the edge of the map and never enter any playable tiles. Long ago I did an island map where a highway came to a little mainland area, but the bulk of the map was an island. It didn't work because I guess the game detected I had a road connection to my city. When I made a map in the editor with just a highway loop hidden in a corner it worked fine, took a few months though for the first ships to really arrive though.

Don't you need the highway to enter your starting tile, though? I'm using the tunnels in map editor mod to hide a tiny connecting highway loop - it enters the map on a small island, goes underground immediately and just resurfaces on another little island in the starting tile, with a dead end hidden behind some steep hills. I haven't played enough of my island map to see if immigration peters off after a while, though.

Red Bones fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Jun 2, 2016

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Red Bones posted:

Don't you need the highway to enter your starting tile, though? I'm using the tunnels in map editor mod to hide a tiny connecting highway loop - it enters the map on a small island, goes underground immediately and just resurfaces on another little island in the starting tile, with a dead end hidden behind some steep hills. I haven't played enough of my island map to see if immigration peters off after a while, though.

Nope, you only need a highway connection at the edge of the map. If you bring the highway into one of your potential city tiles it seems to ruin the ability to rely on ships. So make a new map without that highway connection, it's the only hard rule in the map editor. So long as you have your highway loop in a corner (that also isn't connected to anything) you can save the map for use. Obviously you'll want ship paths too. Start a new game. plop down the 2 types of ports, and build like normal.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Worked on the city a bit more. Added a small number of small blocky towers, the sort of absolutely unmemorable towers you'd see at the edge of any ol' central european town.

My screen shots seem to be getting... worse when I make them.

I made a junction by hand! Is this called a flyover?

Boring tower zone with mandatory "useless dehumanizing paved open space because some planning idiot thinks its requires to balance the density of the towers"

Love these sunken stations

So what mod(s) should I get and or settings change to take nicer screen shots? I never have any in-game performance problems, just slow load times.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

Baronjutter posted:

Worked on the city a bit more. Added a small number of small blocky towers, the sort of absolutely unmemorable towers you'd see at the edge of any ol' central european town.

My screen shots seem to be getting... worse when I make them.

I made a junction by hand! Is this called a flyover?

Boring tower zone with mandatory "useless dehumanizing paved open space because some planning idiot thinks its requires to balance the density of the towers"

Love these sunken stations

So what mod(s) should I get and or settings change to take nicer screen shots? I never have any in-game performance problems, just slow load times.

very nice

how many metres above sea level is the ground on the coast ? does it flood ?

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Baronjutter posted:

here
you
go
goon
sire

First two are mandatory :)

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Thanks for the links, I hope my ok video card handles the first one.

The whole sea level thing is a major sperg out for me that just ruins most poeple's port/coast scenes. They'll make these massive 4+ story cliff faces for all their costs, ports as tall as a container ship's deck and so on. So I just try to make my coastal areas to scale. If sea level is at 65, I'll make land at most 70. Unless you've got some powerful and unstable river/dam system the water level shouldn't move around too much over the course of a game, I never get any flooding just from the water physics anyways. Sure a massive wave washes over the city any time I do any coastal terraforming, but that sorts itself out pretty fast.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jun 2, 2016

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
The base game, Snowfall, and After Dark are on sale right now. After Dark is 50% off, Snowfall is 33%. Base game is 66% off.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198087108515/myworkshopfiles/?appid=255710
Modular metro stations, you can finally have realistic multiple entrances.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I took some dumbfuck pictures of my city by burning on dynamic days and some of these graphics mods.

Here's a major view-protected avenue leading to the grand ancient cathedral, finally marred by massive skyscrapers.

We got Paris'd

City at dusk

Heavy Industry

Peaceful residential church at night

This chill area turns into lively shopping and eating at night

Morning commuters arrive at the "science centre tower"

Morning over the city

Overall shot of the city centre

Typical life on the streets, lots of bikes and peds and hoards of transit users.

Cozy old town residential area

Train leaving the city, love the mountain backdrop

Love the lighting here as another inter-city train leaves

I've tried to keep all my grades moderately realistic and curves big and sweeping

Here's the whole city as a map, it's about 150k now, usually where I totally give up on a "big city" but I think I'll keep going! What do you guys think?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Baronjutter posted:

I took some dumbfuck pictures of my city by burning on dynamic days and some of these graphics mods.

Typical life on the streets, lots of bikes and peds and hoards of transit users.

This reminds me tremendously of Speyer, Germany

Actually I lied, it looks more like Andrassy Avenue in Budapest, due to the scale of it all.

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Jun 3, 2016

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

I've been waiting for this to go on sale, and now it is.

Is it worth getting the After Dark / Snowfall expansions too?

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Ah boy, I'm just so tired of all these city skylines.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Hadlock posted:

This reminds me tremendously of Speyer, Germany

Actually I lied, it looks more like Andrassy Avenue in Budapest, due to the scale of it all.

It's basically a car-free version of this. I think they're going to make it car free soon anyways. Even has the horsey statue. If I wanted to do it right though I'd have made the whole thing slightly on a hill, longer, used the "museum of ancient arts" asset from the workshop, and some how packed the entire area with really lovely awful people.

Also this video shows a good trick on getting gore-free sharp angles https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWQrI-iqs80

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

It's basically a car-free version of this. I think they're going to make it car free soon anyways. Even has the horsey statue. If I wanted to do it right though I'd have made the whole thing slightly on a hill, longer, used the "museum of ancient arts" asset from the workshop, and some how packed the entire area with really lovely awful people.

If you want to do it really right you need to divert most of the city traffic to the road in front of the museum so it's totally congested 24/7 :v:

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 366 days!
i've been outdone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqukrQD9DiY

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Baronjutter you're making me cross with that gorgeous city of yours, why do mine never look any good :saddowns:

Also yes that would indeed be a flyover!

e; ^ lmao

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jun 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Baron, just out of curiosity, about how long did that take you to make? I think it looks loving amazing. I need more hours in the day so I can make something half as cool.