Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

I thought godzilla was pretty good when i saw it in the theatre, but i watched it again recently and psyche it still rules. haters vacate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Vintersorg posted:

Let me guess:

a) BRYAN CRANSTON WAS KILLED TOO EARLY

b) STUPID MILITARY MAN WASNT AN UBERMENSH

c) NOT ENOUGH GODZILLA

I didn't watch it but point a sounds like a shameful waste.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

oddium posted:

I thought godzilla was pretty good when i saw it in the theatre, but i watched it again recently and psyche it still rules. haters vacate

Godzilla was a movie about a solider learning to get pass his PTSD by sympathizing with a giant lizard fighting the good fight for nature who like the solider ultimately gets misunderstood by the general public.

Some people can't handle the radical awesomeness of this idea.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I'm glad that the Godzilla movie was good.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I loved the new Godzilla movie, but I def. Would have loved it more if Cranston had been the lead character. I'm sure that interesting Moby Dick-esque themes could have been written paralleling Godzilla's destruction of the new Kaiju family and Cranston losing his family through his obsession with said Kaiju.

I doubt Rogue One is getting crazy reshoots or anything; the response to the original trailer was overwhelmingly positive, so unless it was all a ruse and he made a movie about Anakin then I'm not sure what they'd change. I might change my tune if they release a new trailer set to an 80's hit, though.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

For a December release isn't it pretty late in the production cycle to do 'extensive' reshoots?

No? Suicide Squad just did like three weeks of reshoots in April to punch up the scale of the finale and it's out in August. July-August reshootz for a December release is right in line with normal procedure. Over the next month there'll be tweaks of the edit to cover notes that have been given by other filmmakers, producers, and studio people who will see/have seen the movie; what isn't or can't be covered by changes to the edit will be what they schedule the reshoots around (things like changing the structure of a scene by inserting reaction or bridging shots, adding or removing characters that end up required or redundant, inserting action sequences or beats to change the scale or tone of a larger sequence, dialogue scenes for exposition or character purposes, etc).

Weeks of reshoots on things that cost $100 million and above is not only normal, it's practically necessary since chances are at least one thing that needs changing is a part that will have numerous hooks for FX and production design work. New plates need to be shot, new props and costumes may need to be fabricated, extras need to brought in and potentially need to be matched with extras from shots done months ago, you're basically picking up juggling again after several months of studying other tricks by taking as many balls as you were handling when you stopped and throwing them all up in the air again.

The alternative of course is to pull a Quantum of Solace opening car chase, and no one wants to do that.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I think its very likely that Edwards made a movie that feels unique, like you could watch it and not automatically tell that its connected to Episode VII in any way. Disney wouldn't like that at all. I'm sure there were those who saw test screenings of Godzilla and tried to argue for more monster scenes, or a faster pace. In that case it was a battle I guess Edwards would have been able to win, here he's up against Disney and he's just gotta take it.

I'm sure they're more or less working off a checklist, and Edwards movie had one less space battle than they wanted, and not enough comic relief or something. They have a template now for a movie that made billions of dollars, so they're going to try to reproduce that as many times in a row as they possibly can.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Yeah reshoots are no biggie, also people are kinda trying to find a reason for these star wars movies to fail, cause if you are the first to call it you get to say "I told you so".

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Basebf555 posted:

I think its very likely that Edwards made a movie that feels unique, like you could watch it and not automatically tell that its connected to Episode VII in any way. Disney wouldn't like that at all. I'm sure there were those who saw test screenings of Godzilla and tried to argue for more monster scenes, or a faster pace. In that case it was a battle I guess Edwards would have been able to win, here he's up against Disney and he's just gotta take it.

I'm sure they're more or less working off a checklist, and Edwards movie had one less space battle than they wanted, and not enough comic relief or something. They have a template now for a movie that made billions of dollars, so they're going to try to reproduce that as many times in a row as they possibly can.

Why are you so sure about this, on the basis of a really suspicious and ethereal rumor and a perfectly ordinary practice? This is an important part of building hype- generating negative hype that makes everybody feel relief when the movie actually is good, or at least an enjoyable experience in the theater.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Brainiac Five posted:

Why are you so sure about this, on the basis of a really suspicious and ethereal rumor and a perfectly ordinary practice? This is an important part of building hype- generating negative hype that makes everybody feel relief when the movie actually is good, or at least an enjoyable experience in the theater.

Sorry, when I say "I'm sure" I'm really just using it as an expression. I'm not really sure at all, just speculating like everyone else. Its fun!

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Vintersorg posted:

Let me guess:

a) BRYAN CRANSTON WAS KILLED TOO EARLY

b) STUPID MILITARY MAN WASNT AN UBERMENSH

c) NOT ENOUGH GODZILLA

Sorry for not liking the same movies as you. I'll make sure to change that in the future.

(Seriously though, I found the main character unlikeable and the only other Godzilla I've seen is the poo poo 1998 reboot so I already didn't care that much.)

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Neurolimal posted:

I might change my tune if they release a new trailer set to an 80's hit, though.

Darth Vader's wake-up montage score:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIgZ7gMze7A

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
As much as people don't like him around here, Devin Faraci is drat accurate with his Star Wars scoops, and he confirms he's heard rough things about Rogue One from his sources as well.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

The Cameo posted:

The alternative of course is to pull a Quantum of Solace opening car chase, and no one wants to do that.

Quantum of Solace has the best Bond opening. It's short, grounded, punchy and wastes no time.

GoldenEye is a close second.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

feedmyleg posted:

As much as people don't like him around here, Devin Faraci is drat accurate with his Star Wars scoops, and he confirms he's heard rough things about Rogue One from his sources as well.

And Drew McWeeny just said meh to the whole story. Whose clickbait are you going to believe? :shrug:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I liked Godzilla.

No wait...I liked Pacific Rim. Is it too late to get the Pacific Rim guy?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I would be all for a del Toro directed Star Wars film.

I would be all for a del Toro directed sequel to Pacific Rim, too, but sadly we can't always get what we want.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

The Cameo posted:

quantum of solace deserves more praise than it gets for a number of things, namely making the cia bad guys and creating a line of direct continuity in a series that shied away from that practice for nearly 50 years. the editing isn't the best, but small mercies.

re: reshoots it is standard procedure but given how tfa turned out it's not out of the question to think every movie in the franchise is gonna get scrubbed clean for safety.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

feedmyleg posted:

people keep saying this guy is drat accurate with his whatever scoops but every time someone links him it turns out the opposite, like i remember him basically doing the same thing with daredevil

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

howe_sam posted:

And Drew McWeeny just said meh to the whole story. Whose clickbait are you going to believe? :shrug:

Well Variety just confirmed the films reshoots will last a month and they are being done to tonally bring the entire thing in line with The Force Awakens.

Wank
Apr 26, 2008

PriorMarcus posted:

Well Variety just confirmed the films reshoots will last a month and they are being done to tonally bring the entire thing in line with The Force Awakens.

It rains after a drought and the leaders think - wow people really like rain. Let's make it rain all the time. Imagine how happy everyone will be.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

PriorMarcus posted:

gently caress.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

PriorMarcus posted:

🙅🙅🙅🙅🙅

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

PriorMarcus posted:

LOL.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Oh for gently caress's sake, Disney.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

PBS Newshour posted:

Yeah reshoots are no biggie, also people are kinda trying to find a reason for these star wars movies to fail, cause if you are the first to call it you get to say "I told you so".

I'm not happy about it. It was just blindingly obvious that this was the direction things were going to take. It's the whole reason Lucas decided to just completely check out:

George Lucas posted:

They wanted to do a retro movie. I don't like that. Every movie, I worked very hard to make them different. I made them completely different — different planets, different spaceships to make it new.They weren’t that keen to have me involved anyway, but if I get in there, I’m just going to cause trouble, because they’re not going to do what I want them to do. And I don’t have the control to do that anymore, and all I would do is muck everything up. And so I said, 'OK, I will go my way, and I’ll let them go their way.'

Translation: Disney is a big studio no different than any other big studio. They just want to play it safe and do what they know will make them lots of money. Experimentation is anathema to them, because experimentation brings with it the possibility of financial failure, which a publicly traded corporation is legally obligated to do everything in its power to avoid. As such, they will brook no interference from independently-minded creative individuals like a Lucas or an Edwards or a Wright.

This is what everyone wanted. Star Wars belongs to the fans now, and the fans are consumers who have very particular expectations that the product being delivered to them must meet. If we're happy, Disney will be happy. If we're disappointed, Disney will be disappointed. The eccentric, self-interested egotists known as "the artists" aren't in control anymore, and as such there's no chance that they might take a highly personal risk and end up disappointing us even while pleasing themselves.

I predict that Rogue One will probably be an enjoyable and entertaining two-hour diversion, just like TFA was, and just like Ant-Man was. Well worth the ten bucks I'll pay to see it once.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

What was the tone of TFA.

Sorry about your movie Gareth! I'm sure it was pretty good. Sad to see it go.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

euphronius posted:

What was the tone of TFA.

Beige

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

PriorMarcus posted:

I'm okay with this.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Just to be clear, the reports are saying they want it tonally in line with A New Hope, since Rogue One apparently flows right into it.

Insert your TFA = ANH joke here.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

That I'm totally fine with, as it's what I was hoping for from it.

Wank
Apr 26, 2008

Cnut the Great posted:

I predict that Rogue One will probably be an enjoyable and entertaining two-hour diversion, just like TFA was, and just like Ant-Man was. Well worth the ten bucks I'll pay to see it once.

:iceburn:

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
As I don't know anything about the movie presently I don't have any comment on whether reshoots are good or bad.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Historically for the modern series, at least since the prequels, re-shoots have largely been good. Lucas used them to flesh out character moments and iron out plot continuity. The flip side being that the re-shoots had infamously bad wig and beard work. It was fairly easy to identify those scenes by Obi-Wan suddenly having a bad fake wig or beard. Apparently TFA also had some amount of re-shoots, but thankfully they were on point with keeping everyone looking the same. The fact that TFA also had to take a several month break after Ford's injury helped them reevaluate how they wanted some of the character beats to go. That allowed them to incorporate those changes into the main shoot.

Teek fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Jun 1, 2016

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Adjusting the tone of movie that's like 95% completed just seems like a good way to end up with a final product that's wildly inconsistent. Its one thing to reshoot things because an effect didn't come off right, or because a plot beat was added and needs to be accounted for, but tone is something that's planned by the director from the inception of the whole project. loving with that at the very end seems like a bad idea, but I'm certainly no expert.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

turtlecrunch posted:

As I don't know anything about the movie presently I don't have any comment on whether reshoots are good or bad.

HEAR YE, HEAR YE! GATHER ROUND TO HEAR AS THIS IS A DECLARATION.
SOMETIMES THINGS CAN BE GOOD, BUT THEY CAN ALSO BE BAD.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

I read an interview with some writer/director (I forget who) a while ago where he said he loves the editing process, because it's like he gets one last rewrite of the script. He could take scenes and put them in a different order, remove scenes, use different takes, all of which could change the meaning or drive of a scene. Things you think worked on paper or when filming sometimes just don't work quite as well when you try to cut everything together. You may see that, gee, now that it's altogether, it's not quite as clear as you thought that this character is trying to do this thing, or that these two characters should be more together on their goals that is coming across in what you shot. Or as simple as, god dammit, the lighting on this one isn't right, how did that happen? Reshoots can fix all of that, and is like an extension of the editing room. "I wish we had a shot that made this scene work better." "Alright, let's go get it."

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I think the worry is not reshoots but Disney interference.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

euphronius posted:

I think the worry is not reshoots but Disney interference.

Fair enough, I have no idea why the reshoots are happening. But I see a lot of people all over the place taking reshoots in general as a sign that something is very wrong. Or, a couple posts up, someone saying that changing tone at this point is a bad sign. Maybe, but not necessarily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

thrawn527 posted:

Fair enough, I have no idea why the reshoots are happening. But I see a lot of people all over the place taking reshoots in general as a sign that something is very wrong. Or, a couple posts up, someone saying that changing tone at this point is a bad sign. Maybe, but not necessarily.

We're reacting to a confirming report in Variety that specified the reshoots are being done to get the tone more in-line with ANH/TFA.

As I said, there are perfectly legitimate reasons to do reshoots, but tone is something that's in every scene, every shot. To come back in at the very end and expect that you're going to change the overall tone without creating some inconsistencies seems unrealistic to me.

• Locked thread