Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serenity Dove
Jan 29, 2008

If I had a Pikachu, it'd probably eat my stuff.

Adult Sword Owner posted:

My pig Fatness Everqueak passed suddenly in the night. Given that she was nearly 7 I am not completely surprised. I hope it was painless.

Now I need to figure out what to do with a massive amount of guinea pig food as well as the water bottles. I would say nobody is going to want a used house.

Sorry for your loss. :(Losing a pet always sucks.

I know it's too early to think about another pet but maybe hang onto the stuff for a while in case you decide eventually to get another pet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

Poe is now referred to by my partner as his hamster and Cc is my hamster so tonight he got to help clean out HIS hamster and his mountain of hidden poo. I think he liked it tho, he was very fussy with the new cage layout. Might have him converted :3:

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Serenity Dove posted:

Sorry for your loss. :(Losing a pet always sucks.

I know it's too early to think about another pet but maybe hang onto the stuff for a while in case you decide eventually to get another pet?

I know I really won't want another for a while; regardless the coroplast has been though 4 pigs so it's not in any good condition, the houses are chewed the heck up, so I would want to do all new stuff in any case.

I just don't have the room and time to give attention to smol prey animals anymore.

Kluliss
Mar 6, 2011

Cake, is it a drug, or is it simply a delicious chocolatey piece of heaven?

It's not looking good for Dio, he's not eating much and is down to 810g (he was 1100g when he was weighed at the vets a couple of months back). We took him to the vet yesterday and he has zantac and painkillers, but has yet to improve. His quality of life is not good so if this doesn't help him feel better, he will be entering The Great Hayloft in a few days.

It's not long since we lost our other pig, Ozzie :(

Edit: he's not responded to medication so he has his final appointment in just under two hours. This sucks.

Edit edit: it was not a thing I wanted to do at all but it was extremely quick (much faster than I expected it to be) and honestly I think he was half gone anyway since he was really struggling this morning - he was in major pain when I lifted him out the cage so he got towelled and cuddled until he was at the vets. He also got fresh dandelion leaves which he actually nibbled on, but he kept having to stop, it looked like chewing was exhausting him. He's not suffering now at least. I just feel weird cos we've cleaned out the pig room (since we're pigless now) and I keep looking in there to check on him only to find there's nothing there any more.

Upshot of this: I do not regret what we did, and if I'd known how he was going to be over the weekend I might have done it on Friday when we took him to the vet rather than prolong his really not very good life.

vvvv thank you both, it's been a weird week - I keep expecting to hear wheeking when I rustle vegetable bags :( (also today is shaping up to be extra poo poo as my mother in law may be having to put her 14 yr old dog down. Argh.)

Kluliss fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Apr 25, 2016

-CHA
Jun 21, 2004

State-of-the-art
home video technology
I'm sorry :( It must be hard to have to put him down, but at least he won't be suffering anymore.

RIP Dio.

republicant
Apr 5, 2010
Rest in peace, Dio. :(

It's been ambiguous for a long time as to whether or not my pigs have had mites. I was always pretty sure they did, but I took my oldest two to the vet a couple months ago and he seemed pretty sure that they didn't have them, even though they scratch too frequently for my liking. Well now it's not too ambiguous anymore since Hamlet has a big patch of missing hair on his face with scabby, crusty skin, looking like obvious mange. :( I ordered green apple-flavored ivermectin from Amazon since I won't have vet money until Saturday. I hope to god the ivermectin works, I feel so bad for the poor little guy.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

hamoflage

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Is there a name for the squeaking that just-awoken hamsters make? All of the females I currently have make it and many past hamsters have too. It's like a repeated PEEP! PEEP! 20 or 30 times. It's the cutest loving thing but I was wondering if there's a term for it besides just peeping/squeaking, or why they do it when they wake up.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

They must come to terms each day with the horrors of our world

-CHA
Jun 21, 2004

State-of-the-art
home video technology

Captain Invictus posted:

Is there a name for the squeaking that just-awoken hamsters make? All of the females I currently have make it and many past hamsters have too. It's like a repeated PEEP! PEEP! 20 or 30 times. It's the cutest loving thing but I was wondering if there's a term for it besides just peeping/squeaking, or why they do it when they wake up.

Do you mean hamsters that have been woken up by you or have woken up normally? I have actually never heard any sound from my two females. Runty however always gives me the stink eye whenever i'm too loud. It's her own fault for preferring to make her bed in the lazy lookout.

Unrelated, I got to hold a hairless hamster the other day. Hamsters are way cuter with soft fluffy fur. It was more or less like holding a scrotum with a face.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It's random, sometimes they do it when I wake them up, other times I'll hear peeping from their cages.

Also, seems it's nearing the end for this family of hamsters. While I was sleeping, Creamy(the cream-colored male) died, the last of the males, and Mimi, one of the two remaining females, has gotten thinner. But I noticed she hadn't emptied her pouches out today and it seems she had impacted pouches. So I did a little looking and found I could use some blunt-tipped tweezers to excise the chunks of food in her pouches. It took about 25 minutes but she was surprisingly helpful with letting me get it all out, didn't bite me, stayed relatively still, etc. Got a few chunks of food out and a seed or two before this all came barfing out in two pushes, just having the tweezers in there to hold the pouches open helped immensely in getting it all out.

Some blood, a lot of pulped food, some sunflower seeds and a few large blobs of food she couldn't get out. She seems much, much happier now, and is drinking for the first time today. I was worried because she kept running around the perimeter of her cage literally nonstop all day, but now she's relaxing, so hopefully she'll recover and live a good bit longer. Stinky is still going strong, she's a big fat little bundle of adorableness still.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

Oh dear, poor wee Mimi :( I hope she gets back to herself soon. I dread Cc getting something stuck because I honestly think I would lose a finger if I tried poking tweezers in her mouth. I avoid feeding her any smooshy things in general just to be as safe as possible.

And RIP Creamy, what a bad time, I'm sorry Invictus.

-CHA posted:

Unrelated, I got to hold a hairless hamster the other day. Hamsters are way cuter with soft fluffy fur. It was more or less like holding a scrotum with a face.

Same is true for most animals, like gremlin cats and those chinese crested dogs, all weird. They're weirdly cute sometimes but mostly weird.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Mimi's almost back to her old self, she's digging nests again, standing on top of her house, eating and drinking, all things she wasn't doing while her cheeks were impacted. So remember to keep an eye on your hams to make sure their cheeks are working right, particularly as they get older.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Two days ago I became a happy hamster mummy to this lovely lady.

Buffy is fluffy and cute and bitey (she nipped my thumb before I'd even got her through the front door) and I was told she'd be shy but she's seemed pretty curious of me so far. I've only gone inside her cage to change her food over but when I lean in to watch her she comes up to greet me. She's a few months old, her previous owners were well-intentioned but not really ready for the responsibility. I'm ready to take her on and I've been reading up on hamster care but this is the first time I've had a living creature depend on me so I'm very worried about loving it up. Any tips would be greatly appreciated cause I want to give her the best life possible :3:

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

Hello Buffy, you're properly gorgeous :3: well done taking her on!

She could use a bigger cage, that one she's in is kinda tiny. If you're doing some reading I'd recommend one of the two big hamster specific forums, hamstercentral.co.uk and hamsterhideout, you'll find lots of threads on appropriate cages and why space is important. A good budget cage is the Alaska, it's a decent size (there are bigger, the barney is a 100cm cage which is popular) and the best value cage around imo, though there are others around that are better quality. I have a hamster heaven which I like a lot. I'm assuming you're uk since you said mummy rather than mommy, if you're in the US then a tank or a bin cage is going to be your best bet.

She needs a bigger wheel too I'm afraid, that one is dwarf sized. The 28cm Trixie is the right size, pretty quiet and cheap as chips.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HunyFYPV02U
Weighed Poe last night, he is an impossibly teeny tiny 32g :3:

I want make him a fat ham blob but he never stops running on his saucer :sigh:

teenytinymouse fucked around with this message at 12:52 on May 14, 2016

-CHA
Jun 21, 2004

State-of-the-art
home video technology
Aww Poe :kimchi:

Seconding the larger cage and wheel.
Nutrition is also something to watch. There are a good number of hamster foods that are junk and fillers. I give my hams oxbow and then add in some additional nutrition with bits of fresh vegetables to change it up. I also give them bits of freeze dried fruit, but I try to keep the sugary treats to a minimum. http://hamsterific.com/hamsterific-university/acceptable-hamster-food-list/

This may not apply to all hamsters, but whenever I pick my hams up I always either scoop them up with two hands or offer my hand and let them jump in. They are always calmer and easier to handle as opposed to grabbing them and having the prey animal instinct kick in full force.

Runty has gotten so used to hopping into my hand that she will force herself into my hand whenever I reach in for whatever reason. Makes picking out soiled bedding a challenge.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
A new cage is on the agenda for my next paycheck. I got her in her ball for the first time last night, she was scurrying around all over the place :3:

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

-CHA posted:

This may not apply to all hamsters, but whenever I pick my hams up I always either scoop them up with two hands or offer my hand and let them jump in. They are always calmer and easier to handle as opposed to grabbing them and having the prey animal instinct kick in full force.

Runty has gotten so used to hopping into my hand that she will force herself into my hand whenever I reach in for whatever reason. Makes picking out soiled bedding a challenge.

Runty is the beeeest :3:

Good advice too, would second.

Rarity posted:

A new cage is on the agenda for my next paycheck. I got her in her ball for the first time last night, she was scurrying around all over the place :3:

Do you have a bathtub? If you let her out of the ball and sit in a dry bath with her its a good way to get her used to you. A playpen is a good idea too, Cc wouldn't go near her ball again once she'd had some playpen free roam time.

-CHA
Jun 21, 2004

State-of-the-art
home video technology

teenytinymouse posted:

Runty is the beeeest :3:

She is.

She drops everything just to climb up my arm.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MssTCxQi9l4

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

Aaaahhhhhhh

Give her to me, give me that creme caramel ham

My caramel ham squirted some foul mess last night when she got packing tape on her face and had to be grabbed and held. Part skunk apparently. Her pee isn't usually that bad, I gagged a lot :(

You'd think I was removing her face rather than the packing tape from her reaction, moron.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
What color is it? It might be that "musk" or whatever I was mentioning ages ago that my hams used to excrete when surprised.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

What color is it? It might be that "musk" or whatever I was mentioning ages ago that my hams used to excrete when surprised.

Milky, I remember I was like whoa invictus wtf r u talking about

Now I know

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
yep, that's the stuff. To this day it's the only thing to make me drop to the ground and dry heave when I got a good strong whiff of it.

Do female hamsters have anal scent glands? Could it be from impacted anal glands like dogs get(and from what I hear, that's the worst smell in the world)

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

teenytinymouse posted:

Do you have a bathtub? If you let her out of the ball and sit in a dry bath with her its a good way to get her used to you.

Just a shower, I'm not sure that would have the same effect. She's generally been really good with me though, when I lean in close to the cage she doesn't back away, she comes up to greet me and tries to nuzzle through the bars of the cage (this might just be cause she thinks I'm a thing for biting)

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

yep, that's the stuff. To this day it's the only thing to make me drop to the ground and dry heave when I got a good strong whiff of it.

Do female hamsters have anal scent glands? Could it be from impacted anal glands like dogs get(and from what I hear, that's the worst smell in the world)

I am usually quite good with gross smells but that really turned my stomach. Felt ill for ages. Feel a bit ill remembering it tbh.

Rarity posted:

Just a shower, I'm not sure that would have the same effect. She's generally been really good with me though, when I lean in close to the cage she doesn't back away, she comes up to greet me and tries to nuzzle through the bars of the cage (this might just be cause she thinks I'm a thing for biting)

Yeah watch your fingers lol a lot of people avoid feeding them through the bars at all, same with rats, can make them a bit bitey.

You can let her loose on your bed or your sofa if you're careful to watch for her leaping off, which she probably will.

Ssthalar
Sep 16, 2007

teenytinymouse posted:

You can let her loose on your bed or your sofa if you're careful to watch for her leaping off, which she probably absolutely will.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

Correction accepted.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Hamsters framed lemmings as the suicidal rodents so people wouldn't notice they're ten times dumber

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Anyone seen anything like this on a gerbil before? It's a bit late to take her to the normal vet, and i've never kept rodents before so I don't know what is a "normal don't freak out" kind of thing or not.

It's firm, and she doesn't squeek when you touch it. I've had things on my fingers from blood blisters that look similar. It's not in her ear, it's on the back of her ear. Her ear canal is fine and un-obstructed.

bonus normal picture for comparison and for whiskers cuteness.

CainFortea fucked around with this message at 22:46 on May 19, 2016

republicant
Apr 5, 2010
I finally became willing enough to part with my money to buy some things from Gorgeous Guineas. F&M Ointment and Super Souffle Cream, and Kind'n'Gentle Lavender, Manuka & Neem, and Posh n Go Conditioning Shampoos. I've heard really great things about Gorgeous Guineas products so I'm excited. Not as excited about bathing them but we'll see how that goes.

Ssthalar
Sep 16, 2007

CainFortea posted:

Anyone seen anything like this on a gerbil before? It's a bit late to take her to the normal vet, and i've never kept rodents before so I don't know what is a "normal don't freak out" kind of thing or not.

It's firm, and she doesn't squeek when you touch it. I've had things on my fingers from blood blisters that look similar. It's not in her ear, it's on the back of her ear. Her ear canal is fine and un-obstructed.

Never had gerbils, but if they work like other rodents, that growth might probably be cancerous. (it might also just be benign.)
Get a vet to look at it, just in case.

Also, nice Gerb.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah, tumors growing in that area or the neck area can often be cancerous, three of my hamsters in the past have had cancerous growths in that area of the head/neck. But talk to a veterinarian just in case.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Yea, waiting to hear back from my vet for an appointment. Just wasn't sure if it was like, "go find an emergency vet" time or not. It's pretty round and even looking, so if it is a tumor I hope it's benign.

She's my favorite. :(

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Vet says it was most likely a melanoma. Had the flappy part of her ear removed to take the cancer. Vet says it's weird that a gerbil at only 8 months had it, but it likely wasn't the bad stuff.

Bonus, my gerbil now looks super bad rear end and like it's gonna shiv you in a dark alley if you ain't careful.

Which is funny, because she's the lazy fat "eat anything that holds still long enough" one.

Ssthalar
Sep 16, 2007

CainFortea posted:

Which is funny, because she's the lazy fat "eat anything that holds still long enough" one.

Those are the best. :3:

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Ssthalar posted:

Those are the best. :3:

Yea. I have a lot of respect for my girlfriend's gerbil, who is the super uber explorer. I can understand Fluffy, who is the "OMG WTF IS THAT?!" gerbil.

But the fat lazy one is my favorite.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

Well done little gerb!!!! I am glad ur gonna be OK :3:

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Samus Update:

She's still pretty jumpy about being handled. We hosed up two droppers of her pain meds this morning before we got a good one in there. She spent most of the evening on the upper shelf away from the other two, and she was using the wheel all the time.

Which is weird, cause she normally only uses the wheel enough to not become a perfect sphere.

The other two aren't freaking out, they just run up every so often and smell her butt, and then just hang out. So I don't think they're rejecting her. It seems more like she's still freaked out by everything and keeping herself apart.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

Me at any buffet ever