Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

flosofl posted:

It doesn't matter how easy/hard it is. All newly manufactured devices have to have this new certification.

That makes it look like more of a sign that the current routers will continue to be sold. Otherwise a company could probably just say that it was to spec when they sold it and that they're not supporting that model anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

flavor posted:

That makes it look like more of a sign that the current routers will continue to be sold. Otherwise a company could probably just say that it was to spec when they sold it and that they're not supporting that model anymore.

Right. Any devices manufactured prior to June 2 are grandfathered. So existing stock can still be sold at retail, or in the case of companies with Enterprise class devices they can still have their service pool for replacement units. What they can't do is refurb any of the "old" devices and resell them. Nor can they salvage the wireless chipset from returns/repairs.

From a functional standpoint, the customer won't ever notice. I have a feeling the latest AirPort update is part of this to patch the FW to meet the new regs.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

flosofl posted:

It's absolutely about FCC regs. It's not necessary new (the regs came down in 2014), but it becomes mandatory on all new equipment on June 2, 2016. It also requires all manufacturers to be re-certified.

It's basically closing a loophole in the 5GHz band legislation that could allow manufactured devices to be modified to allow communication in a restricted DFS band.

It doesn't matter how easy/hard it is. All newly manufactured devices have to have this new certification.

MIMO has been a thing since 802.11n, and Apple Airport extreme has supported it since 2009 (3rd gen). Later that year, 4th gen, moved to 3x3:3 arrays . You may be thinking about beamforming? The AP Extremes can do three spatial streams and the adapters in their laptops can support two spatial streams (2x2 array).

Right now I'm across the house and getting 703Mbps on my AC connection. I can only get that using two 40MHz channels and 2 spatial streams. My gaming computer (also across the house), has a 3x3 client adapter and I get close to 1Gbps on that. Granted not the theoretical max, but taking into account environmental and distance attenuation, that's pretty decent performance.

Did not know there was a whole new certification if you were already compliant! I've only heard scuttlebutt from the modding crowd, which of course they would.

Yeah I thought it was something more interesting than 3x3 but I guess not. Cheerfully withdrawing everything I said!

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

MrBond posted:

Did not know there was a whole new certification if you were already compliant! I've only heard scuttlebutt from the modding crowd, which of course they would.

Yeah I thought it was something more interesting than 3x3 but I guess not. Cheerfully withdrawing everything I said!

Well, the re-cert was something you could get done after the regulation first hit the books back in 2014. And typically for something like this it's an affidavit stating "yes, under the threat of perjury our company is complying with this mandate for all devices being manufactured".

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Time Machine question

Let's say I have two Macs: Mac A, and Mac B. Can I partition a single hard drive and half and have one partition be the time machine for Mac A, and the other partition be the time machine for Mac B?

Like this:

DISC 1:
  • Mac A time machine (500gb)
  • Mac B time machine (500gb)

As an additional side: can I take two hard drives (one for local and the other for more intermittent off-site storage), partition each in half, and have each Mac back up to the two time machine disks? Like this:

DISC 1:
  • Mac A time machine
  • Mac B time machine

DISC 2:
  • Mac A time machine
  • Mac B time machine

Keeping the backups synchronized is not important - Disc B's backups would be done manually say once a month, while A's would be done once a week.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I don't believe a single partition can be used for Time Machine backups of multiple machines, but you can do the first scenario (two partitions on one drive, one partition for each machine.) A drive need not be dedicated to backups, either; you could make one partition HFS (or equivalent file system) for Time Machine, and other partition(s) any sort of file system you'd like for storage purposes.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

enojy posted:

I don't believe a single partition can be used for Time Machine backups of multiple machines, but you can do the first scenario (two partitions on one drive, one partition for each machine.) A drive need not be dedicated to backups, either; you could make one partition HFS (or equivalent file system) for Time Machine, and other partition(s) any sort of file system you'd like for storage purposes.

You can sneakernet the same drive, same partition to time machine on multiple computers. Time machine just makes a separate computername.sparsebundle file.

To the OP, though: I highly suggest finding a way to just let both machines do their time machine thing automatically --whether that's an alway-on USB drive, or a network drive. I tried to do the sneakernet thing for a long time, but it really sucks having to stay vigilant.

The first time you use the rollback feature to find an important file you accidentally deleted, you wont care about the money.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Hey just to clarify: I am talking about two separate hard drives, each having two partitions, and each partition backs up one machine.

In the future I will probably set up a network drive to automate things - this is for hobby stuff so it's not super high priority more for convenience and getting back on my feet. The idea is to have one drive locked in a safer deposit box so if anything happens I have that as a off site backup or sorts.

Killer_B
May 23, 2005

Uh?

Binary Badger posted:

Yeah, I'm still betting that Apple has to jump ship to Atheros or RealTek and then spend a revision trying to rewrite reliable drivers. Lucky RealTek already has El Capitan drivers for a significant number of its chipsets, dunno about Atheros.

But I seem to remember a lot more wifi issues back when Apple used both Broadcom and Atheros then they quieted down when Apple decided to stick to just one vendor.

Had there been any particular reason that Apple's never used Intel for NIC or Wifi adapters?

Is it simply that M$ must have a big say (or something similar) in saying, "No, you're not doing that" to Intel?

I mean, they are pretty much using the rest of their hardware otherwise; I'm likely missing something in that case.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Killer_B posted:

Had there been any particular reason that Apple's never used Intel for NIC or Wifi adapters?

Is it simply that M$ must have a big say (or something similar) in saying, "No, you're not doing that" to Intel?

I mean, they are pretty much using the rest of their hardware otherwise; I'm likely missing something in that case.

1 - I sure it comes down to pricing

2 - What? No. Even *if* MS had that kind of influence on a chipmaker, I can't imagine why they'd single out Intel instead of Broadcom.

3 - Nah, you're probably not missing anything. They're too expensive, that's it. Apple would use them in a heartbeat if they were more cost-effective

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Oh god, easy there 14 year old early 2000s Slashdot edgelord

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Killer_B posted:

Nah. Apple and Intel are BFFs and Intel is at least as powerful as Microsoft within the industry.

What's Microsoft supposed to do without Intel? Rely on AMD's CPUs to carry the entire PC industry?

On the subject of Intel, apparently this year's Iris Pro can run circles around the 750m in my 2013 15" rMBP.

Killer_B
May 23, 2005

Uh?

Pivo posted:

Oh god, easy there 14 year old early 2000s Slashdot edgelord

Oh, apologies.

I do suppose I could have worded it better. However, I guess I didn't factor in cost as an issue. Oh well.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Can't spell "Crapple" without "apple"!

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

Can't spell "Crapple" without "apple"!

you mean KKK₹a₱₱£€

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Nah. Apple and Intel are BFFs and Intel is at least as powerful as Microsoft within the industry.

Not only that, but isn't Apple one of (if not *the*) most profitable companies ever, with cash-on-hand that dwarfs Microsoft's? I can imagine Intel flipping the finger at MS if they even *hinted* at not supplying Apple with anything.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

People think of the NFL and the Superbowl as this gigantic worldwide thing. And there's a big deal about how 30 seconds of commercial time costs millions of dollars. The NFL in its entirety generated like $17 billion in revenue every year, which is huge.

Apple makes $220 billion a year.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
The battery on a 2013 rMBP is glued in right? Do they just put in some solvent to remove that glue and glue in a new one or is it more integrated than that?

Coconut Battery says my max charge is down to 76.6% which should get me a replacement under AppleCare right for falling under the 80% threshold that they mention?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Sad Panda posted:

The battery on a 2013 rMBP is glued in right? Do they just put in some solvent to remove that glue and glue in a new one or is it more integrated than that?

Coconut Battery says my max charge is down to 76.6% which should get me a replacement under AppleCare right for falling under the 80% threshold that they mention?

Yes, glued. if you have AppleCare definitely go get it replaced

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Sad Panda posted:

The entire top case is replaced as it includes the battery, trackpad and keyboard.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Mu Zeta posted:

People think of the NFL and the Superbowl as this gigantic worldwide thing. And there's a big deal about how 30 seconds of commercial time costs millions of dollars. The NFL in its entirety generated like $17 billion in revenue every year, which is huge.

Apple makes $220 billion a year.

How many iMacs do you have to throw at someone to cause a concussion?

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Bob Morales posted:

The entire top case is replaced as it includes the battery, trackpad and keyboard.

So a new keyboard & trackpad? Sweet. The warranty is until next March so I'll give it a few more months wear and tear before getting it swapped.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
Pictures starting to leak out that seem to confirm the replacement of the function row.
Bleh. I'm not sure how I feel about this.

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007
Just saw the pic. If it's customizable and changes depending on the app in use, I can sorta accept such an ugly thing above the keyboard. At least touch ID seems to be coming to the MBP line.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

xgalaxy posted:

Pictures starting to leak out that seem to confirm the replacement of the function row.
Bleh. I'm not sure how I feel about this.

In your position I would

1 - Rush right out and buy an old MBP
2 - Subscribe to the Accidental Tech Podcast and look forward to an hour of :spergin: from Marco Lament armenting the replacement of the terrific regular old function keys with... uh... other function keys, and
3 - Despair

Honestly, why would anyone feel anything about something that nobody has been able to try out yet? Also, function keys are a different category than the other keys in that they see maybe 0.1% of the action the other ones do, so it's okay if they may feel somewhat different (which they may not even).

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I thought it would be thinner

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

I'm more looking forward to the nerd outrage about missing ports if they do really switch the Pro line straight over to 4xUSB-C and nothing else (bar headphones). Really I was expecting a more gradual transition that went half and half between USB A and C on the next model.

Edit: And MagSafe too..

Froist fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jun 1, 2016

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

That doesn't look as bad as I thought it would

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

I figured they would remove the headphone jack just like, because it was there, or to keep macbook users from getting too complacent or something

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Froist posted:

I'm more looking forward to the nerd outrage about missing ports if they do really switch the Pro line straight over to 4xUSB-C and nothing else (bar headphones). Really I was expecting a more gradual transition that went half and half between USB A and C on the next model.

Edit: And MagSafe too..

My SD card slot... :qq: :(:derp::stonkhat::nsamad::negative::qqsay:

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

I figured they would remove the headphone jack just like, because it was there, or to keep macbook users from getting too complacent or something

I figured this was coming, too, because there was talk of their moving to lightning headphones on the iPhone/iPad instead of the current micro-stereo version. Unless they go completely uniform and the next iPhone/iPad series comes out with USB C connectors.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

They can pry my 3.5mm TRRS from my cold, dead hands. I will become Benjen Stark.

I have literally half a thousand dollars invested in TRRS headphones.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Bob Morales posted:

That doesn't look as bad as I thought it would

I hate it very much.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Arsten posted:

I figured this was coming, too, because there was talk of their moving to lightning headphones on the iPhone/iPad instead of the current micro-stereo version. Unless they go completely uniform and the next iPhone/iPad series comes out with USB C connectors.
Bow down to the smart connector future and iPhone battery case/dock with all the ports you desire.

And I dunno, long range power transmission for everything.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

tuyop posted:

I hate it very much.

I think I'm okay with it, let's look at the current keyboard

I only use a couple keys on this right now. Escape, brightness up/down, volume up/down, and the power button Being able to login/unlock my Mac with Touch ID would be awesome.

My gripe is going to be what bullshit features are they going to come up with that use the touch bar or whatever? I can't think of anything that would be worth giving up a row of keys for. Once in a while I will do something like fn-F2 but it's not that often. But I'll probably be pissed if I have to touch a smooth bar instead of a key to do it.

Also, I can see the Microsoft Surface commercials now. LOL YOUR MAC ONLY HAS A TOUCH ROW MY SURFACE PRO HAS A TOUCH SCREEN

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

the only bad key on the mac keyboard is F4.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

japtor posted:

Bow down to the smart connector future and iPhone battery case/dock with all the ports you desire.

And I dunno, long range power transmission for everything.

:raise: Why would you need sixty eight ports when you can connect almost nothing to your iOS device in the first place?

Although, if they would integrate mouse support into the iPhone/iPad, it would be nice to dock them into a desktop setup with screen and such. I'm sure this is right around the corner. :v:

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
lol if you're not using gestures for literally every single action on the function row.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Can someone educate me on the best price vs. quality ~27" monitor to use with a 2015 13" MBP? Do I want to splurge on something bigger than 1920x1080 lest it look like junk compared to the built-in Retina display? Ideally, I'd like to stay around $200.

Also, Apple's specs claim it'll only do 1080p@60Hz via HDMI, while any higher resolution gets cut down to 30Hz. Is there an alternative way to connect a larger resolution monitor and have the refresh rate stick to 60Hz? Thunderbolt?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

enojy posted:

Can someone educate me on the best price vs. quality ~27" monitor to use with a 2015 13" MBP? Do I want to splurge on something bigger than 1920x1080 lest it look like junk compared to the built-in Retina display? Ideally, I'd like to stay around $200.

Also, Apple's specs claim it'll only do 1080p@60Hz via HDMI, while any higher resolution gets cut down to 30Hz. Is there an alternative way to connect a larger resolution monitor and have the refresh rate stick to 60Hz? Thunderbolt?

With the 2015 13", yeah you can use a mini-DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable to get up to 4K @ 60Hz. miniDP to dual link DVI would also work.