Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Edmond Dantes posted:

I've been playing Mercy when I go support exactly for this reason.
Except on Lijiang tower, that's all Lucio all the time because I like to doot people off ledges.

This is the terrible secret to enjoying Lucio. :ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I soundblasted a McCree to his death off the back of Hanamura this morning, and as he was falling I could hear his fan the hammer going off. Proof that McCrees only know how to do one thing, too bad it can't save you this time!

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Lucio is good and fun, especially when you start paying attention for when you can switch back into speed boost without hurting your team, so you can toy with cool jukes, doots and poking with bursts of dubstep balls. My only regret is not utilizing the wall rides nearly enough.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

I play lucio sometimes but i just feel incredibly milquetoast and ineffective compared to when i'm playing Mercy or even Zenyatta, so I always end up switching :shrug: I love when other people are playing Lucio, though, especially if I'm Mercy alongside cause it gives me a lot more freedom to damage boost/pistol people in their faces and that's fun

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Thyrork posted:

The good secret is that he is one of if not the most mobile character in the game.

It's really fun to wall jump up to a sniper perch and knock them off it

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

Lucio owns. The wall riding is great, the ultimate wins games and his gun is actually good if you prefire/spam corners and get headshots.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Played with a full group of goons I'd mostly never played with before last night and had a great time. We ran into a gimmick group that ran all-Soldier on attack and then all-Widow on defense. We brutally slaughtered the all-Soldier comp but god drat the all-Widow group was a pain-in-the-rear end. I like to think I clenched a last second win as Rein by charging the three widows behind the final objective, killing one in a pin and then flanking through two more who were too busy scoping to have situational awareness. That made enough of a hole and distraction for the team to finally get to the point.

I really love how this game nudges people in the right direction even if they're not watching chat or listening to comms. Having Rein automatically say stuff like, "Get behind me, comrades! My shield will protect you!" when he pops his shield is great design.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jun 1, 2016

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Question regarding ping/netcode for you more technically-savvy goons out there. What would you say is the point where ping starts noticeably influencing your aiming? I play from South America and the local servers have 40 ping but the people here are terrible human beings so I end up playing with goons and I usually get 180~200 ping.

I don't get any weird rubberbanding and while I do get the odd "but I was around the corner, come ON!" moment I've never watched a replay and noticed myself on a different position than where I thought I was.

I don't play the most "aim-dependent" characters such as McCree or Widow, but can 200 ping be having a noticeable effect on my aiming and I should stick to junkrat and Winston, or do I just suck at aiming and should git gud?

Thyrork posted:

Oh trust me, I know. Hence the Lijiang comment.

One thing, though; I noticed that when you start wallrunning like a motherfucker people have a terrible time bringing you down. The other night I was defending Anubis B and I was the last man standing against 3 dudes from the other team and I just starting grinding all over the place. They eventually got me (mostly by splash damage), but I won a lot of time for my team to get back.

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jun 1, 2016

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Play Lucio on Ilios, jump in the pit, wall run forever and let your team get permanent healing boosts while trying to shoot you in the hole in the ground. Bonus points if you occasionally pop out of the hole to take shots.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

My current Lucio strategy is to only play him on Lijiang Tower: Garden and just pole dance the entire game.

I can never doot people off edges for some reason so I don't bother to try. I see videos of people knocking entire teams off but when I try I'll hit like, one person, and they'll move maybe a foot. :(

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.
Last night a few goons and myself stumbled across some interesting team comps:

Mei + Lucio + Zarya is the tits.

Mei + Mei +Zarya means you can rotate ice walls repeatedly, blocking off a choke point for as long as possible. This also means these annoying Meis get shielded from sudden death damage on the regular, and then frozen targets get super beamed to death. Also, coordinated Black Hole followed by two successive Mei ults pretty much kills all of the thing in a hilarious mess of clumped popsicles.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

There need to be more pits in this game, and not just cliffs either. Molten lava, pools of acid, maybe knocking them into outer space if they ever make a moon base map. And there need to be more heroes capable of knocking dudes into pits.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
As Roadhog, I was engaging a Lucio from behind while he was distracted by my teamates. He sound blasted them because they were near a ledge and it grabbed me, flung me through him and over the edge.
The killcam just shows him activating his blast, then a second later a Roadhog come through his screen and flies off into darkness.

This is proof that Lucio is the best healer.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Disgusting Coward posted:

Just out of interest, what's everyone's average accuracy sitting at? I have a weird conviction that I can't hit poo poo as Soldier 76, but I'm sitting at 55% average accuracy which is pretty good, no?

Sitting at about 55% too. I've been trying to control his bursts a lot more since, particularly with distant turrets, if you don't actually burst you don't actually do enough damage to take them out at range.

It's kind of depressing when I'm sitting at four gold medals almost consistently with him, and even get that elusive healing medal sometimes.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

exquisite tea posted:

There need to be more pits in this game, and not just cliffs either. Molten lava, pools of acid, maybe knocking them into outer space if they ever make a moon base map. And there need to be more heroes capable of knocking dudes into pits.

Watchpoint: Facing Worlds

Samara
Jan 6, 2011

quote:

Deposited $150 at Mt Gox to try this Bitcoin thing out.

Stolen 6 days later. Really enjoyed my time there.

Helpful? Please donate - being this retarded ain't cheap!

Samara Investments
Basement Suite #101
Mom's House, Hometown FL
USAAA+
All soldier 76 teams are nigh impossible to beat. Wow is that a crazy comp.

Heals. Speed boosts. Long range poke. Devastating ults when staggered.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Samara posted:

All soldier 76 teams are nigh impossible to beat. Wow is that a crazy comp.

Heals. Speed boosts. Long range poke. Devastating ults when staggered.

Nah, we stomped a pre-made all-Soldier team last night with a random assortment of goons last night playing whatever we felt like. My feeling was that Soldier can't do much against Reinhardt -- even his ult doesn't fully kill Rein's shield, and if he tries to flank, Reaper eats him. Maybe if that team had coordinated their ults it would've been different.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jun 1, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I have to say that Tracer is the most feast or famine character in the game. Either you have a fantastic Tracer who is obliterating their back line and zooming away or you are effectively 5v6 as Tracer darts in uselessly, unloads a couple of shots into Reinhearts back and then dies miserably and proceeds to do that for the next 3-4 games.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I feel like with Tracer people need to realize you probably won't get the finishing blow on people unless your team has already done a lot of damage.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I've noticed that people have no loving clue how to deal with just how mobile junkrat can be and poop their pants when they get a cricket ball to the face. I like kamikazi'ing bastions by flying through the air and air strafing because most of the time they can't track me. Also sometimes when you kill a Reaper you'll get Junkrat to say "Why so serious?" He's basically everything Pharah is but less boring and more chaotic fun.

I just wish his skins were better since I'm not a huge fan of them. Oh well there's always the inevitable cosmetic update.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah definitely, a good Tracer is an absolute nightmare. Yesterday I won an attack on Anubis in two minutes all because our Tracer darted in, killed everybody at the point and capped twice in a row. Insane how fast she can drop in on you.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

ImpAtom posted:

I have to say that Tracer is the most feast or famine character in the game. Either you have a fantastic Tracer who is obliterating their back line and zooming away or you are effectively 5v6 as Tracer darts in uselessly, unloads a couple of shots into Reinhearts back and then dies miserably and proceeds to do that for the next 3-4 games.

Tracer's good for picking off healers and harassment so the enemy will ADHD off the point to get you.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted:

I just wish his skins were better since I'm not a huge fan of them. Oh well there's always the inevitable cosmetic update.

his legendary skins are pretty meh/not my thing but the Toasted/Jailbird purple tier skins are so good they make up for it imo

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Someone Awful! posted:

his legendary skins are pretty meh/not my thing but the Toasted/Jailbird purple tier skins are so good they make up for it imo

I have yet to play junkrat once idk why he's the only character in this game I have played literally 0 times.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Someone Awful! posted:

Are there ways to see the first person view of the skins? I want to see how the purple and legendary skins change his launcher.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
4 Torbies, 1 Reinhardt and 1 Zenyatta on defense is pretty hilarious.

Thyrork posted:

Lucio is so much fun on Ilios or Nepal, there's an open pit right next to the capture point and you can just doot people to death over and over.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jun 1, 2016

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

When did people agree on doot for Lucio's soundblast thing

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
if anyone cares like me the competitive mode is delayed until end of July

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Lucio thoughts from ~6 hrs played and a 70% winrate with him:
  • You should always just be firing at open doors and entry points. People will definitely just ride through your fire, but they'll also get tagged and build your ult. And occasionally you'll catch someone slow coming through a choke who has no chance of closing distance on you. You may not ever actually hit him or even know he was there if you're not wallhacking, but if it forces him to spend 10 seconds circling around to another entry, that's 10 seconds you were on point that he wasn't.

• Speed Boost is more useful than just rushing points, it's also your primary escape mechanism and you should swap to it it any time you hear an ult where your ult either isn't up or doesn't make sense. You will save an extra life or two nearly every time Dva, Pharah, or Hanzo go off (at least once you get to the point you're playing with people who understand how LoS works). Damage prevention is the same as healing, and speed boosting your attackers behind poles will waste bad D.Va ults all day.

• Boop is useful for more than just sending people off cliffs. You'll start to see more opportunities for it as you play. Like sending people off the platform at Hanamura B, especially people with bad movement like McCree, Mei, or Zarya, is essentially a 5-second CC. Even just blasting a person from the side will mess up their aim and spacial awareness enough to take them out of a fight for a couple of seconds. It's not great booping straight into their face, but if you catch people from behind or the side, it's often better just to slam them in some new and exciting direction. As good as sending a Roadhog off a cliff is, it's also pretty great to watch McCree inform a bare wall that it's high noon. Or shoving a Mercy out of cover into the meat grinder.

So just like any character, playing with him can be a lot more involved than just healbotting while circling capture points.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

Kashuno posted:

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Someone Awful! posted:

I play lucio sometimes but i just feel incredibly milquetoast and ineffective compared to when i'm playing Mercy or even Zenyatta, so I always end up switching :shrug: I love when other people are playing Lucio, though, especially if I'm Mercy alongside cause it gives me a lot more freedom to damage boost/pistol people in their faces and that's fun

Lucio has a lot of "invisible power" due to being aura based. It's hard to quantify his value subjectively because of how passive most of his poo poo is. You can see pretty clearly when healing someone as Mercy saves their bacon, but you're rarely going to notice it as Lucio. His LMB also just feels kinda "bleh" (I honestly feel more powerful in combat playing Mercy of all people), and he lacks the interactivity of Mercy (with regards to positioning). You're mostly just there farting out your little sound bubbles at chokes and waiting for your ultimate to build, especially when not playing on KotH.

I don't mean to make it sound like he's bad or anything - he's clearly very good and 100% necessary on KotH - but he often ends up feeling rather dull. If his LMB had a faster projectile speed, I'd probably enjoy playing him more.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I've found that being a good Lucio requires you to watch team movements as a whole rather than individual teammates like Mercy.

For example, as Mercy you watch your teammates. When one of them takes damage, you glide over and heal them up. Simple.

As Lucio, you pick your moments when pumping up the volume is going to benefit the entire team. If you see your teammates pushing up, pump up a healing aura under the expectation that they'll be coming under fire. If your team is getting wrecked in a team fight and it's clear people are retreating, pop the speed aura to help them GTFO. Trying to watch for individual teammates is honestly a waste of time.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Vermain posted:

Lucio has a lot of "invisible power" due to being aura based. It's hard to quantify his value subjectively because of how passive most of his poo poo is. You can see pretty clearly when healing someone as Mercy saves their bacon, but you're rarely going to notice it as Lucio. His LMB also just feels kinda "bleh" (I honestly feel more powerful in combat playing Mercy of all people), and he lacks the interactivity of Mercy (with regards to positioning). You're mostly just there farting out your little sound bubbles at chokes and waiting for your ultimate to build, especially when not playing on KotH.

I don't mean to make it sound like he's bad or anything - he's clearly very good and 100% necessary on KotH - but he often ends up feeling rather dull. If his LMB had a faster projectile speed, I'd probably enjoy playing him more.

I ended a game as Lucio with 3 golds (healing, obj time and obj kills) and at the end of the game one of my teammates said "I didn't even realize lucio was doing anything."

e:

PantsBandit posted:

As Lucio, you pick your moments when pumping up the volume is going to benefit the entire team. If you see your teammates pushing up, pump up a healing aura under the expectation that they'll be coming under fire. If your team is getting wrecked in a team fight and it's clear people are retreating, pop the speed aura to help them GTFO. Trying to watch for individual teammates is honestly a waste of time.
I spam his pump the volume. I try to get at least 3 teammates in range before doing so, but if I see 2-3 opposing players firing at my tank, it's popped.

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
On one hand I want comp mode while knowing its pointless until they change server setting so hitreg isnt wonky.

But knowing the massive hanzo hitboxes and that this game basically always prefers the peaker you can get some sweet "head" shots.

Turtle Sandbox fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jun 1, 2016

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

MacheteZombie posted:

I spam his pump the volume. I try to get at least 3 teammates in range before doing so, but if I see 2-3 opposing players firing at my tank, it's popped.

Yeah I mean if you see a teammate about to die then definitely use it. I'm just saying you're not going to be constantly babysitting your teammates like Mercy does.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

PantsBandit posted:

Yeah I mean if you see a teammate about to die then definitely use it. I'm just saying you're not going to be constantly babysitting your teammates like Mercy does.

We on the same page then, for some reason I thought you were saying you squat on the pump the volume for emergencies.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Imagined posted:

Nah, we stomped a pre-made all-Soldier team last night with a random assortment of goons last night playing whatever we felt like. My feeling was that Soldier can't do much against Reinhardt -- even his ult doesn't fully kill Rein's shield, and if he tries to flank, Reaper eats him. Maybe if that team had coordinated their ults it would've been different.

soldier doesn't seem very good against winston either. soldier just doesn't do damage fast enough to deal with barriers effectively

ZZKoverts
Sep 12, 2011

PantsBandit posted:

These are good tips for Lucio.

I find that he's also really good for keeping an eye on the enemy team. Particularly if your own team has just secured a cap point or killed a lot of the enemy.
You can switch to your speed boost and run ahead a little bit and spot the enemy returning, then just run back while plinking at them with your music blobs and keeping them in sight.
Doing this gives you a good sense of when the enemy are about to spaff their ults all over the point, so you can drop your own And give your team more chance of survival.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Kashuno posted:

Please delay the game mode that only super spergs care about indefinitely blizz. The game is good and fun without it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
What is the counter to five Reinhardts and a Lucio?