Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Huh, didn't realize the Vive didn't actually come with a displayport cable. It supports display port, but you have to have your own cable since it doesn't provide one, which I should have realized but totally did not.

So it looks like it will be a couple more days before I get to use it - drat! It's sitting right here and useless to me.

Also why the hell doesn't it come with stands for the Lighthouses, that is pretty dumb, I mean I knew it wouldn't so I made my own but it would have been a lot more convenient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

FormatAmerica posted:

It's fun because it looks 3d & poo poo, which is one step up from playing in a BigScreen type environment, which is one step up from playing IRR (in real reality) like a loving chump.

I wonder if one could combine the two. Playing in a BigScreen or Virtual Theater type environment with a stereo-injected game, so it appears like the floating screen is a portal in to the game world with depth and perspective. You'd have to have the stereo injection driver be aware of the virtual environment though so it could properly move the camera around.

That might also do good things for the motion sickness issues that are common with games not designed for VR, since the motion is taking place within a fully stationary environment and basically ends up looking more like a 3D movie.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

w00tazn posted:

Rift Owners: Is the camera supposed to stay on when Oculus Home is running?
I've had issues with getting the camera to wake up after extended downtime and I just now had to restart the service for it to start working again.

I haven't had it shut down on me, even after leaving the system alone for a couple hours while something was downloading. Sounds like maybe the service/driver froze on you for some reason.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

wolrah posted:

I wonder if one could combine the two. Playing in a BigScreen or Virtual Theater type environment with a stereo-injected game, so it appears like the floating screen is a portal in to the game world with depth and perspective. You'd have to have the stereo injection driver be aware of the virtual environment though so it could properly move the camera around.

That might also do good things for the motion sickness issues that are common with games not designed for VR, since the motion is taking place within a fully stationary environment and basically ends up looking more like a 3D movie.

This is literally one of the modes supported by vorpx. The software is alright, but the 3D effect tends to be significantly worse than games designed for it, and it flat out does not work for some unsupported games. I've only tried a few titles though, it might work well with some games.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Here's EVGA's case. It's not a backpack, it's designed to have pride of place in your living room.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/evga-dg-87-case-computex,31939.html

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

The Walrus posted:

adr1ft is on sale and now works on the vive. worth it?
I'm about an hour in, and like people say, it's kind of boring. For $10 it isn't so bad but I feel bad for anyone who paid full price.

It's a game where they figured being in 3d was enough and didn't really have to bother with good mechanics, a plot, or really a complete game. It's pretty much a floating tour of a wrecked space station with some basic unlock/upgrade mechanics for your suit tacked on. I REALLY didn't like some of the ham-fisted design decisions, like a really slow maximum velocity and how when you go "out of bounds" (more than 5 feet from the station) your suit develops a massive O2 leak and you die in about 20 seconds. It would be really cool if it just let me explore, but no, the entire gameplay is "flip a switch at this end OK now fly back and flip a switch over there to unlock the door, but go straight down the corridor and don't think outside the box". The oxygen mechanic is just plain bad. The controls aren't stellar.

But hell - you're in space on a wrecked space station in VR! That's worth $10 to me. It's just that they could have done so much more.

I don't really get VR sick but the game was the closest I got, especially with the roll controls.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jun 1, 2016

Rockybar
Sep 3, 2008

Is there any kind of free exploration option? Also were you using Revive?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Rockybar posted:

Is there any kind of free exploration option? Also were you using Revive?
Nope, I have a rift. It was smooth enough, visually. It's only stuttered a small handful of times for less than a second; stuttering doesn't really bother me though unless it's massive and constant.

If there's a free exploration, I haven't unlocked it.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
It'd be really cool if they made a bridge builder game on the Vive where when you completed your bridge you're forced to walk across it. If it fails, you fall towards your death.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

Talorat posted:

Has anyone else had issues with Vivecraft having jittery and bad head tracking? I had it to a point where it was literally unplayable and then enabled FXAA which somehow reduced it a lot, but doesn't seem to have eliminated it completely.

Vivecraft is pretty rad, gently caress those little zombie babies though, impossible to hit in VR.

Have you tried reducing the Vive's chaperone camera refresh rate from 60fps to 30 in SteamVR settings? That eliminated tracking issues in a lot of games for me.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Still sucks hearing about the Rift shipping delays this far out. I enjoy having both as swapping between them depending on what I want to play is pretty easy and they both excel at what they do best currently.

I have still yet to setup the Vive around the Omni yet though. Too freaking busy/tired all the time with life. Adulting sucks sometimes. Also vr with the heat in CA this week is tough. The AC has to run 100% of the time to keep the temp low enough that I don't sweat my rear end off in VR after only 5 minutes unless I play naked or something. (Now that would be interesting to walk in on). "It's exactly what it looks like"...

Also I had a dream where I was on the phone with Gabe Newell last night about something leading up to a job offer, and I somehow hung up on him and the dream didn't have me reconnect with him before I woke up. :argh:

So no Job at Valve working in VR for me it appears. :(

Also if anyone is looking into buying stuff on Newegg, I still have my 4 Friend/Family slots for Newegg Premiere. So if you want free 3 day or less shipping, no restocking fees, etc for a bit, hit me up with your name and email and ill hook you up until you're done with it.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

EdEddnEddy posted:

I have still yet to setup the Vive around the Omni yet though. Too freaking busy/tired all the time with life. Adulting sucks sometimes. Also vr with the heat in CA this week is tough. The AC has to run 100% of the time to keep the temp low enough that I don't sweat my rear end off in VR after only 5 minutes unless I play naked or something. (Now that would be interesting to walk in on). "It's exactly what it looks like"...

Get a swamp cooler man, works wonders for non-humid high-heat areas.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
With E3 getting closer, I'm hoping for some more news/release date of Touch. Someone released a video showing the finger "tracking" the other day and it looks amazing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPzcTrguPkg

Dudes a spaz and video is long so here is a quick webm summary.
https://gfycat.com/MeaslyAptIguanodon

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I saw it linked somewhere and someone mentioned "five finger tracking" but it's only three fingers being tracked. Tracked being used very loosely. You probably get some analog gripping with the index and middle fingers but the thumb is basically "is it touching a button."

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Still its pretty cool, I must admit I wish the wands were more like touch in some ways, three sets of finger analogues seems pretty good for VR.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I wish the vive had better grip buttons. If I have to hold the button, I often find myself accidentally letting go because it's awkward to get my middle finger there and it doesn't have much tactile feedback that a longer throw would give.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
My Vive arrived today, so for those wondering about timing I ordered it on May 21st and got shipping confirmation on May 28th. 11 real-time days, 8 business days, of which one of those was a federal holiday. The thing was at the local Fedex sort facility on Sunday night, but sat there until this morning because *shipping reasons*.

And of course I've felt like poo poo since Monday so I'm not sure I'm going to be able to coax myself to clean up my computer room and mount the lighthouses.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Just reach deep down inside yourself, pull out your inner knifegrab and do it.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Here's some TED Talk on using VR to make schools and science labs better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iF5-aDJOr6U

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Wow, I didnt know they were supplying retail stores instead of preorders. That is scummy to the extreme. As much as the headset might actually be pretty good, they are bad at business sense.

Not that it isn't bullshit, but they likely have contractual obligations to those retailers with penalties if they can't deliver, whereas you're just some random customer.

But yeah, lol at the Rift's preorder shitshow, I decided to order a Vive a month ago and it was here two weeks ago.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Anyone try out pool nation yet?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

ChickenArise posted:

I've "heard" form a source that I consider to be credible that the FB app has gotten a lot better on Android at least when it comes to battery usage, but that you should also absolutely not have it installed as it "messes with parts of the Android system that aren't really for apps to mess with"

100% true.

https://facebook.com/notes/facebook-engineering/under-the-hood-dalvik-patch-for-facebook-for-android/10151345597798920/

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jun 1, 2016

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Facebook literally just disabled their mobile website functionality and it pops up a message saying you have to install the app to use it now, hahah.

So that's pretty timely.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Dukeofdummies posted:

Is there any word on anybody making a Minority Report style setup with VR? Everything I've seen so far seems like they just throw up one or two big screens in a floating space.

I would love it if I could just spew out windows into floating surfaces around me. It would be awesome if I could open up Source Film Maker and literally drag the scout into the pose I want him in with a few pictures floating around me as a reference.

Dude there's like 10 programs that let you do that already and the loving OP already mentions two of them. :v:

Knifegrab posted:

Honestly there isn't much point to playing a game that is not designed for VR in VR. If the game is heavily modified or built from the ground up it can be really cool but personally I don't see the point in stereo injected traditional games.

Retrofit 3D games are already not great for VR. Games that aren't even retrofit officially and are just hacked to work in VR suck, period. Its not worth the headache.

I'm with you.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

GlyphGryph posted:

Facebook literally just disabled their mobile website functionality and it pops up a message saying you have to install the app to use it now, hahah.

So that's pretty timely.

"Please drink a confirmation can to browse pictures of your ex."

~Bzzzt~

"Your loneliness has been recorded."

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

GlyphGryph posted:

So that's pretty timely.

Hmm, still works for me, hopefully it's not a gradual release.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Talorat posted:

Hmm, still works for me, hopefully it's not a gradual release.

Okay, apparently it's just the messaging bit they removed, you can still view posts. I do not use facebook myself so the news was secondhand. If thats still working for you then yeah, it must be a gradual rollout.

I'm actually surprised that they don't have a Facebook Social VR thing up yet. They are planning one, somehow, right?

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

GlyphGryph posted:

Okay, apparently it's just the messaging bit they removed, you can still view posts. I do not use facebook myself so the news was secondhand. If thats still working for you then yeah, it must be a gradual rollout.

I'm actually surprised that they don't have a Facebook Social VR thing up yet. They are planning one, somehow, right?

How can they hope to compete with the majesty of AltspaceVR

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

I'm not lost, but I don't know where I am.
Ramrod XTreme
So, Farsight's successor to Pinball Arcade is coming, and it's VR-ready! And an Oculus Store exclusive. Goddammit. :sigh:

https://www.facebook.com/sternpinball/videos/10154204364334244/

Edit: Just remembered the crowdfunding campaign for this project last month, that was suddenly cancelled without warning. Think the reason is pretty obvious now. Nice that they didn't have to raise $300,000 or whatever they were shooting for, but too bad it means another headset-exclusive game.

Ludicrous Gibs! fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jun 2, 2016

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Cojawfee posted:

Just reach deep down inside yourself, pull out your inner knifegrab and do it.
Yeah, I ended up doing it. I hurt even more because I fell off a cabinet in the process and I remembered why I hate drywall anchors when two of them popped through the wall rather than threading, but they're up. It bitches about the lighthouses being a bit too far apart, because they are (about 22 feet if I remember the dimensions of this room correctly) but it still works and I haven't had any tracking issues.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

GlyphGryph posted:

Yeah, I've been getting that drat messaging pop-up message for months and have no idea how to turn it off. I sure as hell am not downloading messenger though.

Pi Mu Rho
Apr 25, 2007

College Slice

App13 posted:

Myself and my brother had a go last night. It's nailed the whole feel of pool, and the ability to gently caress around with things is cool. Just always remember - the table isn't really there and you will fall on the floor like a twat when you attempt to lean on it.
Cool game though, will definitely play again.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

App13 posted:

I picked it up last night and was very happy with it. Once you get the controls down it becomes natural and you're smacking balls all over the place. No luck with online multiplayer yet; all my opponents have been afk when I showed up.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
god drat it I keep setting my controllers down on imaginary counters in job sim

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Haven't gotten to that point myself, but I've thought about it a couple of time in the VR Pool. My only gripe with the game is that the collides on the dice the put on the table are goobered up with too much friction so they don't actually roll.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Valve released their Unity Renderer, the one they used for the lab: http://steamcommunity.com/games/250820/announcements/detail/604985915045842668

Not huge but pretty cool for developers.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Knifegrab posted:

Valve released their Unity Renderer, the one they used for the lab: http://steamcommunity.com/games/250820/announcements/detail/604985915045842668

Not huge but pretty cool for developers.

huge for us too - whatever trickery they used to make the lab look so good and run so well, I want everyone to be using it going forward

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Obduction is almost out, release date has slipped to July 26 but its looking very promising. Launching on PC, Mac and Oculus.

Probably the closest we'll get to a AAA VR title for awhile.

The Walrus posted:

god drat it I keep setting my controllers down on imaginary counters in job sim

Use the lanyards. I know we've been trained from Wii and other things to ignore lanyards because they're dumb and goofy, but with VR controllers they're important.

For whatever reason, playing in VR makes my palms really sweaty, I have to constantly drop the controllers and wipe them off. But with the lanyards I just let go and they dangle for a second, no biggie.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Zaphod42 posted:

Use the lanyards. I know we've been trained from Wii and other things to ignore lanyards because they're dumb and goofy, but with VR controllers they're important.

For whatever reason, playing in VR makes my palms really sweaty, I have to constantly drop the controllers and wipe them off. But with the lanyards I just let go and they dangle for a second, no biggie.

Oh yeah no I do, which is why I allow my mind to sort of 'get into it' that much as it were. I really enjoy trying to put myself into these realities as much as I possibly can - it's like playing imaginary games like a kid but technology-assisted

This lead to a great moment last night in the new wizard game thing when you go into the second crystal ball. without giving what happens away I picked up a weapon and shield and strode to meet the sound bravely, sticking my chest out as far as it would go. threw my shield away defiantly and went into a two handed low sword stance just before it was revealed what was coming into the room. lol.

edit: by the way. holoball. oh my god. oh my god, holoball. love it.

really need to get better lanyards asap though for that game only, the speed I'm swinging those things if I do ever slip they're gonna fly.

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jun 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I know that PSVR is kind of persona non grata here, despite what the OP says, but hey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bl5o-FqIRIQ

They're going all out for the retro look for the pilots. I can't wait for this dumb game.