Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I went back and replayed the first half of BB recently too, and apparently DS3 has made me one with the hunt because I loving styled on Papa Gascoigne. I usually would cheese him through the graves but I was dodging up in his face and parrying and smashing him to pieces. So there :colbert:

(I think Estus is better too.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Blood Vials biggest problem is they only punish new characters, once you get more than three or four hours in it becomes utterly trivial to have 600 in your stash all the time. Demon's Souls suffered from the same thing and it's a shame they went back to that just to make things different from DaS.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

HaB posted:

Yes, but you have already illustrated that you are playing an entirely different game from the Bloodborne the rest of us know and love.

So's he! :haw:

I only posted this here because I didn't realize the actual BB thread is still alive, though. It's funny though, every time he actually gets a parry off he quicksteps backwards because he's used to playing defensively from Dark Souls, so he keeps missing his chance. I look forward to him fighting the Darkbeast.

quote:

I went back and replayed the first half of BB recently too, and apparently DS3 has made me one with the hunt because I loving styled on Papa Gascoigne. I usually would cheese him through the graves but I was dodging up in his face and parrying and smashing him to pieces. So there

Fun! :v:

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Sakurazuka posted:

Blood Vials biggest problem is they only punish new characters, once you get more than three or four hours in it becomes utterly trivial to have 600 in your stash all the time. Demon's Souls suffered from the same thing and it's a shame they went back to that just to make things different from DaS.

I must've been doing something wrong because I distinctly remember having to do vial runs to restock in Mensis.

To be fair, I loving sucked at the early part of Mensis.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

MysticalMachineGun posted:

I must've been doing something wrong because I distinctly remember having to do vial runs to restock in Mensis.

You are doing it wrong because you can just buy vials, and late-game enemies are worth plenty of echoes to buy them with.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah, you were doing runs instead of just buying them from the fountain with the insane amount of echoes you start getting around that point.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

I can't think of anything clever to say about this, just watch me dunk on some would-be ganker.

(Yes I know they were alone but they were clearly trying to use blue spirits for their ganksquad)

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Digirat posted:

People harp about dark souls 2 all the time for that elevator but this was incredibly silly and I'm not sure why it doesn't have a similar reputation. You have to do all this to...lower a ladder?

Like the magic elevator it's just a funny goofy thing. I figure Emma was just bored sitting around and just decided to make her own sort of Mouse Trap board game.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Alabaster White posted:

I can't think of anything clever to say about this, just watch me dunk on some would-be ganker.

(Yes I know they were alone but they were clearly trying to use blue spirits for their ganksquad)

eeehh, they didn't try to summon white spirits nor did they run away, waiting for a blue cop to show up.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

I feel like they finally got healing items juuuuust right: automatic refills, but you can still "find" additional charges by killing stuff, never going above the maximum. Plus, return to MP and Ashen Flasks. Nonetheless, if it weren't for the fact that you can run out of bloodvials and resort to farming, I'd still think Bloodborne is superior since I like the mechanics of Quicksilver Bullets more. I'm really missing the ability to parry healing at a distance, too. Oh well.

Also, magic volcano elevator / unclimbable piece of rubble / Mouse Trap ladder are totally goofy, only the elevator genuinely looks like someone hosed up and joined zones wrong :v: I was kinda reminded of that when you get to the Fishing Hamlet in Bloodborne, which does a similar utterly impossible transition. The latter does it much better, though, with the clock acting as seal, the rest of the Nightmare poking through the ocean, the location actually being an otherworldly dimension thing...
Seriously, imagine that: you take up an elevator into the sky, the whole room suddenly fills with clouds, you keep thinking "WTF is going on", and then - BAM! - turns out the clouds were actually smoke, you step out, and the windmill temple you entered is now a giant burnt-out ruin below, with the Iron Keep in front of you. That would've been cool.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

The elevator totally reeks of them cutting an area at last notice and having to awkwardly link the two.

You can see birds flying/swimming around the lava if you no-clip.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

So if there are undead dogs in this game does that mean that they've been branded by the barksign? :haw:

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

:geno: "O Chosen Undog, who's a good boy. You are. Yes you are. You are such a good doggie."

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

you just spend echoes on vials whenever you head to the hunter's dream. if you can level up, do that and spend the rest on vials. if you can't, just spend it all on vials. the situation became a lot better when they increased your vial/bullet storage capacity tho. it's a mild inconvenience but it's not too punishing. it's a definite step back from estus

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

There's no reason to cast flame arc when you can just use a resin instead.

...but you don't need to keep buying resin... you have carthus flame arc forever.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

HaB posted:

So I was unaware until last night that there was any sort of item dupe glitch for the PS4. Started a new character as a SL50 Catacombs invader. I glitched the Dancer, and was down summonbro'ng for Vordt to pick up a few extra embers before I leveled up. So keep in mind I am maybe SL15-ish with an unupgraded weapon.

I get summoned, and a guy is standing there in Artorias' armor, with Sword Master and the other NPC summon (Lion Knight somebody?). He's not gesturing hello or anything but I see him twitching a bit, then he moves and there's an item on the ground. So I pick it up, and it's some late-game weapon (I forget which). I bow to say thank you, and he starts rapidly dropping more stuff - all late-game or boss soul weapons - maybe 40 in total. Not all late-game gear, but most of it. Then he drops 99 Embers, 99 Souls of a Great Champion, 99 Souls of a Champion, and 99 Souls of a Venerable Old Hand.

So he's all :homebrew: while I'm all :stonklol:

So we finally go into the boss fight, and I'm wondering if I'm on NG++++++++++++++++++++++ or something, but no - a normal NG Vordt fight happens, and the host wasn't doing an unusual amount of damage either.

I tried messaging him via Recently Met players, but I got the wrong guy. I went to bed and looked up to see if there is an item dupe glitch out in the wild. Seems there was one for Boss Souls only, but reports are fuzzy on whether or not it's been patched out. Only other thing I can think of is a save file edit of some sort.

Anyone seen anything similar? Am I gonna be banned? :ohdear:

Hmm, as far as I am aware nobody has hacked PS4 save games yet. So as to how they got 99 of everything I'm not sure....unless they spent hours duping stuff with a friend which seems extremely tedious :iiam:

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

I've been running into this bug where sometimes invaders have a weird glow, filling almost the entire screen with their blinding (but glorious) incandescence. It lasts a couple of seconds. Does anyone else have this problem, or is my graphics card melting?

edit: okay it's apparently a pretty common complaint. Does anyone have a solution?

Jordbo fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jun 1, 2016

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.

Jordbo posted:

I've been running into this bug where sometimes invaders have a weird glow, filling almost the entire screen with their blinding (but glorious) incandescence. It lasts a couple of seconds. Does anyone else have this problem, or is my graphics card melting?

edit: okay it's apparently a pretty common complaint. Does anyone have a solution?

It isn't a feature? I thought it was to let you know a dude loaded in.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

Odd considering they also have a flashing text box doing a better job of that.

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

Golden Goat posted:

Odd considering they also have a flashing text box doing a better job of that.

Well, you don't always get a pop-up when invaded, so I suppose they have two systems in place in case one fails

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Torquemadras posted:

Also, magic volcano elevator / unclimbable piece of rubble / Mouse Trap ladder are totally goofy, only the elevator genuinely looks like someone hosed up and joined zones wrong :v: I was kinda reminded of that when you get to the Fishing Hamlet in Bloodborne, which does a similar utterly impossible transition. The latter does it much better, though, with the clock acting as seal, the rest of the Nightmare poking through the ocean, the location actually being an otherworldly dimension thing...

The thing that really shows how badly DS2 gets beaten is that even the lovecraftian dreamworld in Bloodborne has better spatial relations. They even had the ships masts poking through the mist in vanilla and then you travel underneath that layer and gradually work your way up to the ship layer in the DLC - and it never breaks geography.

I really hope the DS3 DLC is that good at putting everything together and improving on the gameplay issues.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

Nah, the lighting engine's exploding a little. It happens to some enemies on occasion too.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Jordbo posted:

Well, you don't always get a pop-up when invaded, so I suppose they have two systems in place in case one fails
I've had the same blinding brightness happen while farming Silver Knights, on the Knights themselves, specifically the sword guy slowly walking over the top of the stairs in front of Anor Londo's cathedral. I strongly suspect it's a bug with the lighting engine and nothing else.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
I just played Dark Souls 2 SoFS for the first time about a month ago. Can someone explain the elevator thing that everyone is joking about?

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Dr. Clockwork posted:

I just played Dark Souls 2 SoFS for the first time about a month ago. Can someone explain the elevator thing that everyone is joking about?

Nah it's better to experience it yourself.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Dr. Clockwork posted:

How far did you get?

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

DatonKallandor posted:

The thing that really shows how badly DS2 gets beaten is that even the lovecraftian dreamworld in Bloodborne has better spatial relations. They even had the ships masts poking through the mist in vanilla and then you travel underneath that layer and gradually work your way up to the ship layer in the DLC - and it never breaks geography.

I really hope the DS3 DLC is that good at putting everything together and improving on the gameplay issues.

You could chalk up some of the weirdness/laziness in area design in 2 to the strange temporal state the entire region finds itself in. Time and space folding in on each other may make some things closer than they should be.

Also, I think Bloodborne is probably the best design out of any of the games. I wish dungeons were more varied, but beyond that, everything felt like it worked. I don't really think any of the Souls games compare.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

ChaosArgate posted:

How far did you get?

NG plus 3 at the moment.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Relin posted:

Why is it that I can only summon one person any more (or NPC)? All the others disappear when I summon

You're hollow, right?

Alabaster White posted:

I don't know if you running off to chug and re-apply buffs while the host patiently waits for you counts as "dunking on."

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Remember fighting your way up the windmill to fight the poison queen? After her you get into an elevator. That goes upwards. Into the Castle in the middle of the giant lava field it's sinking into.

Paracelsus posted:

You're hollow, right?

I don't think it's because he's hollow - it's because the game reduces your summon count by 1 in areas that allow covenant invasion. Probably so the player counts never go above the maximum they tested it for.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jun 1, 2016

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

DatonKallandor posted:

Remember fighting your way up the windmill to fight the poison queen? After her you get into an elevator. That goes upwards. Into the Castle in the middle of the giant lava field it's sinking into.

Wow, I didn't even realize that. That's hilarious level design.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Pretty sure that's literally the level progression of Ghouls n Ghosts

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Which reminds me are there any lances in DS3?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Fire Barrel posted:

You could chalk up some of the weirdness/laziness in area design in 2 to the strange temporal state the entire region finds itself in. Time and space folding in on each other may make some things closer than they should be.

Also, I think Bloodborne is probably the best design out of any of the games. I wish dungeons were more varied, but beyond that, everything felt like it worked. I don't really think any of the Souls games compare.

None of them match DS1's atmosphere for me. 3 feels like BB more than DS1 or 2 atmospherically even (which is fine, that's one of BB's qualities I actually like, it's just different).

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Golden Goat posted:

Which reminds me are there any lances in DS3?

Greatlance, but spears have lance charge now.
e: It's on a ledge beside the two dragon bridge in Lothric Castle (if you are at the bonfire facing the dragons, it's to your left and up), there's a guy kneeling near it.
If you cheese the dancer you could play the entire game with it I guess.

turtlecrunch fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jun 1, 2016

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

are any of the lances good?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Pretty much the only even remotely decent spears/lances are the Dragonslayer Spear and Swordspear. There are a couple others that are okay for certain loose definitions of the term but the damage output for the weaponclass is really bad in this game compared to DS2.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

None of them match DS1's atmosphere for me. 3 feels like BB more than DS1 or 2 atmospherically even (which is fine, that's one of BB's qualities I actually like, it's just different).

DS1 is still probably my top souls game due in no small part to its atmosphere. It does a good job presenting its world with as little superfluous stuff as possible. Enough to point to a larger world outside of Lordran, while never losing focus, in terms of both design and writing. As much as I like DS2 SotFS and 3, neither are quite as balanced. I think BB may be the only one that gives DS1 a run for its money, at least for me. Much for the same reasons as well.

Two general parrying questions for folks: Is the caestus better at parrying than small shields/parrying dagger? Also, has anyone had more luck parrying with medium shields? I can do it reasonably well with items like the buckler, but people seem to play it safe a lot more frequently. Figure a med shield might be able to catch them off guard with greater regularity.

Also, I really miss the broadsword R2 from DS2. This new one is basically useless. Might switch the the long sword even though it does about 24 or so less damage.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Digirat posted:

People harp about dark souls 2 all the time for that elevator but this was incredibly silly and I'm not sure why it doesn't have a similar reputation. You have to do all this to...lower a ladder?

It's not that it doesn't make sense or it's not logical, but there's something about being given a ceremonial basin and getting a metal-rear end cutscene of a statue slitting its own neck only to lower a simple ladder that feels anti-climactic. It's no elevator to nowhere or "RETRIEVE THESE GREAT SOULS TO BYPASS THE SMALL PILE OF RUBBLE" but it's still unsatisfying. Should have made a badass spiral staircase descend or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

RyokoTK posted:

Pretty much the only even remotely decent spears/lances are the Dragonslayer Spear and Swordspear. There are a couple others that are okay for certain loose definitions of the term but the damage output for the weaponclass is really bad in this game compared to DS2.

bummer. guess I'll save that weapon class for a faith run