Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Capilarean
Apr 10, 2009
I'm very vague on this, but I do remember hearing in my high school lit. class about a book, which has a detective solve a murder/crime he himself committed. I'm pretty sure it was some postmodern handling of the noir/ gumshoe detective genre. I believe the tile had something to do with the word gumshoe even, but the class was not taught in english and it's not very searchable. Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Capilarean posted:

I'm very vague on this, but I do remember hearing in my high school lit. class about a book, which has a detective solve a murder/crime he himself committed. I'm pretty sure it was some postmodern handling of the noir/ gumshoe detective genre. I believe the tile had something to do with the word gumshoe even, but the class was not taught in english and it's not very searchable. Any ideas?

They're not noir by any stretch of the imagination, but Agatha Christie wrote two stories which sort-of fit that criterion. One is famous (but stretches the definition of "detective" a bit), the other is less well known but a closer fit. The names of the stories are below, and are obviously spoilers:
The Murder of Roger Ackroyd, and
Curtain

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Hobnob posted:

The Murder of Roger Ackroyd, and

Will go down in history as being the only cozy-mystery to cause so much anger lol

Edit: I haven't been able to find anything on the short story I posted about, however I remember reading "Harrison Bergeron" at the same time, I wonder if my teacher just photocopied an anthology... if that helps

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Professor Shark posted:

Will go down in history as being the only cozy-mystery to cause so much anger lol

Edit: I haven't been able to find anything on the short story I posted about, however I remember reading "Harrison Bergeron" at the same time, I wonder if my teacher just photocopied an anthology... if that helps
Well, here's a list of anthologies including Harrison Bergeron: http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/title.cgi?41335

Crackmaster
Feb 6, 2004

Professor Shark posted:

I'm looking for a short story that I read in Grade 8 (2000-2001) that I was telling students about today, but have been unable to find online.

The details:

- The primary theme of this story is the morality of capital punishment
- The story deals with a future society that puts people into a deadly apartment while their trial takes place, they sit and wait for judgement, unconnected to the trial or the outside world
- The apartment has *something* in it that kills the person when they're found guilty
- The protagonist is found NOT GUILTY in the end, however when they go to open the door to leave, it's revealed the doorknob has a small needle in it which injects and immediately kills the GUILTY person

Professor Shark posted:

I hesitated to say anything since it's not a perfect match, but your description sounds a little bit like the Twilight Zone episode "The Obsolete Man". It's a bit of a long shot, but maybe your story inspired/was inspired by that episode? I haven't been able to dig anything up myself, I'm sorry to say, but you might have better luck.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum
This one is a children's fiction book. I read in in the UK in ~1980 so probably published around then or a bit before. I can't remember anything of the title or the author. Probably aimed at pre-teen readers. The edition I read was a common hardback binding with a white bordered cover with a central illustration, I saw a lot of books at school in the same binding (e.g. I can recall reading The Eighteenth Emergency in the same format) .

The book I want was set (I think) in a US city (so probably a US author), and involved some kids playing in a (possibly abandoned) construction site. I think the kids houses/apartments surrounded the site on all sides - might have had a map at the front of the book?
I think the building was maybe a skyscraper under construction or something, I recall something about a grid of steel beams. The plot involved some kind of conflict over which gang of kids "owned" the site - they had a (fairly genteel) war ongoing between two groups. That's about all I can recall. Possibly the title referred to the site/building in some way? Unfortunately the combination of children book + construction site makes it very hard to google.

Sirocco
Jan 27, 2009

HEY DIARY! HA HA HA!
I'm trying to identify a book that my wife read in her childhood (publication date would be pre-2001).

It was a CYOA-style version of Hans Christian Andersen's 'The Little Mermaid' though that may have not been the title. The illustrations were similar in style and colour to Edmund Dulac's work but not as detailed. It was an A4-ish sized thin hardback book and the mermaid's name may have been Undine.

Been trying to find a copy for a long time but can't find any trace on the internet.

HighwireAct
May 16, 2016

Pozzo's Hat
Pretty sure this one was published in the last ~20 years:

A guy loses his cat and his wife, a bunch of weird stuff happens and there's a lot of classical music and somehow there's a bird involved.

Disappointing egg
Jun 21, 2007

HighwireAct posted:

A guy loses his cat and his wife, a bunch of weird stuff happens and there's a lot of classical music and somehow there's a bird involved.

Sounds like the Wind-up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami.

HighwireAct
May 16, 2016

Pozzo's Hat

Disappointing egg posted:

Sounds like the Wind-up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami.

Yeah, that's it! Thank you!

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Don't forget the part where he cooks spaghetti. It is a central theme in Murakami's books.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Runcible Cat posted:

Well, here's a list of anthologies including Harrison Bergeron: http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/title.cgi?41335

On the Threshold of Freedom in the Science Fiction (1973) sounds promising, no author listed, however

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Professor Shark posted:

On the Threshold of Freedom in the Science Fiction (1973) sounds promising, no author listed, however
It's interior art...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On_the_Threshold_of_Liberty#/media/File:On_the_Threshold_of_Liberty_1937.jpg

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

HighwireAct posted:

This is actually a really good description of what I was thinking when I finished this book. I really didn't appreciate Murakami when I had to read him in college, and my professor was in love with him.

He's pretty great now though!

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

I vaguely recall a series (or at least two books of one) involving a mysterious teenage girl recruiting a group of other teenage girls to rob the Catacombs of Paris (I think). The narrator was a bookworm who was recruited mainly for her highly impressive library. Her parents had this trust fund that meant they could basically keep going to college for new degrees for whenever.

I know it was named after the mysterious teenage girl and I think the sequel focused on one of the other teenage girls.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Oh, well that's definitely not it haha

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

That foxatee is always making a Piggles out of herself.

nerdman42 posted:

I vaguely recall a series (or at least two books of one) involving a mysterious teenage girl recruiting a group of other teenage girls to rob the Catacombs of Paris (I think). The narrator was a bookworm who was recruited mainly for her highly impressive library. Her parents had this trust fund that meant they could basically keep going to college for new degrees for whenever.

I know it was named after the mysterious teenage girl and I think the sequel focused on one of the other teenage girls.

Is this Kiki Strike?

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

foxatee posted:

Is this Kiki Strike?

God that's been bugging me for years, that's the one

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Welp, you guys figured out Daddy in a couple of days, let's see if I can get lightning to strike twice!

The book I'm stuck on is a thriller that was probably written in the late 70s or early 80s. There's a police detective--I think his name is Haggerty or something similar--and he's seeking insight on a case, so he goes to consult a fancy uptown psychiatrist. Psychiatrist gives insight, insight is useful, hooray. Later on, the psychiatrist asks Haggerty to return the favor. The psychiatrist has twin teenagers--I think their names may be Eric and Karen?--and they're both really smart, apparently, so their father is horrified that Eric has decided he wants to be a policeman. He asks Haggerty to take Eric on his rounds and scare the idea out of him. He does, Eric interferes in some kind of crime and gets beaten to poo poo, but he's totally not scared off at all. I think there's a scene where he's being taken to the hospital and his sister is there and he grins at her all bloodily and lisps something like 'Kawen... gonna be po-weeese-man...'

Scene break, it picks up again several years later. Eric is now a policeman and he and Haggerty are partners, and they're on the trail of some serial killer or something. We're told that Haggerty has arthritis, I think, and the only thing that helps is DMSO, which is illegal and also makes him smell like garlic? Anyway, he's too upright or shy or whatever to go buy illegal DMSO himself, so Eric has been doing it for him. They're in some building and Eric leaves Haggerty there alone while he goes out to score his DMSO, and while Eric is gone the murderer pushes Haggerty down an elevator shaft, which kills him, but probably also cures his arthritis.

You'd think I could find this book, but I've never had the slightest bit of luck.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Science fiction novel, probably late 80s or early 90s? I think it was a series but I stopped reading it because it got a bit rapey. A woman is held prisoner by the captain of a freighter who has a device that makes her all hot and ready for sex. She escapes, gets taken in by another captain who thinks she loves him but now she's using the device to conceal her revulsion at having sex with him. She gets pregnant, has the baby which is grown to adulthood in the space of a few hours, and then has the woman's memories implanted into its brain to make up for all the growing up it missed.

There must have been more to it than this or I wouldn't have read it, but it's all I remember.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Disappointing egg
Jun 21, 2007

Sanford posted:

Science fiction novel, probably late 80s or early 90s? I think it was a series but I stopped reading it because it got a bit rapey. A woman is held prisoner by the captain of a freighter who has a device that makes her all hot and ready for sex. She escapes, gets taken in by another captain who thinks she loves him but now she's using the device to conceal her revulsion at having sex with him. She gets pregnant, has the baby which is grown to adulthood in the space of a few hours, and then has the woman's memories implanted into its brain to make up for all the growing up it missed.

There must have been more to it than this or I wouldn't have read it, but it's all I remember.

That's Steven Donaldson's 'The Gap': https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gap_Cycle

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Sanford posted:

Stephen Donaldson's Gap Cycle. Starts with "The Real Story."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gap_Cycle#Books_in_serie

e;f,b.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Not gonna lie I mostly read this thread for partially remembered summaries like

Picayune posted:

Welp, you guys figured out Daddy in a couple of days, let's see if I can get lightning to strike twice!

The book I'm stuck on is a thriller that was probably written in the late 70s or early 80s. There's a police detective--I think his name is Haggerty or something similar--and he's seeking insight on a case, so he goes to consult a fancy uptown psychiatrist. Psychiatrist gives insight, insight is useful, hooray. Later on, the psychiatrist asks Haggerty to return the favor. The psychiatrist has twin teenagers--I think their names may be Eric and Karen?--and they're both really smart, apparently, so their father is horrified that Eric has decided he wants to be a policeman. He asks Haggerty to take Eric on his rounds and scare the idea out of him. He does, Eric interferes in some kind of crime and gets beaten to poo poo, but he's totally not scared off at all. I think there's a scene where he's being taken to the hospital and his sister is there and he grins at her all bloodily and lisps something like 'Kawen... gonna be po-weeese-man...'

Scene break, it picks up again several years later. Eric is now a policeman and he and Haggerty are partners, and they're on the trail of some serial killer or something. We're told that Haggerty has arthritis, I think, and the only thing that helps is DMSO, which is illegal and also makes him smell like garlic? Anyway, he's too upright or shy or whatever to go buy illegal DMSO himself, so Eric has been doing it for him. They're in some building and Eric leaves Haggerty there alone while he goes out to score his DMSO, and while Eric is gone the murderer pushes Haggerty down an elevator shaft, which kills him, but probably also cures his arthritis.

You'd think I could find this book, but I've never had the slightest bit of luck.

that make me laugh

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

AnonSpore posted:

Not gonna lie I mostly read this thread for partially remembered summaries like

that make me laugh

I live to serve. :tipshat:

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
I'm looking for a book I got from a Scholastic catalog ca. 1998.

It was YA fiction, about a kid who I think keeps seeing an 18-wheeler that he thinks is following him? There's one scene where the driver is chasing him through an ice cream factory and a vat falls and kills someone. The last act starts with the kid waking up in the truck's cab in motion, the driver letting the truck drift between lanes.

I've been looking for this book for years but holy gently caress it's impossible to find. Please help!

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

I'm looking for a book I got from a Scholastic catalog ca. 1998.

It was YA fiction, about a kid who I think keeps seeing an 18-wheeler that he thinks is following him? There's one scene where the driver is chasing him through an ice cream factory and a vat falls and kills someone. The last act starts with the kid waking up in the truck's cab in motion, the driver letting the truck drift between lanes.

I've been looking for this book for years but holy gently caress it's impossible to find. Please help!

All I could think of is this: http://www.amazon.com/Driven-Death-Strange-Matter-2/dp/1567140386/

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Ok I read this book at least 15 years or so in cheap paperback form so it's probsbly st least 20 years old. It's a suspense/horror book where a man is always ignored by the world for some reason. People just don't pay attention to him and he eventually learns there isn't whole underworld or large group of people like him. They have the ability to not be noticed by normal people and use it for their own agenda. I remember the initiation into the group was the man had to kill his boss. I keep thinking the title has something like funhouse or carnival or circus to it but I can't find it. It'll probsbly turn out to be some Dean Koontz job.

Thanks for the help.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

oldpainless posted:

Ok I read this book at least 15 years or so in cheap paperback form so it's probsbly st least 20 years old. It's a suspense/horror book where a man is always ignored by the world for some reason. People just don't pay attention to him and he eventually learns there isn't whole underworld or large group of people like him. They have the ability to not be noticed by normal people and use it for their own agenda. I remember the initiation into the group was the man had to kill his boss. I keep thinking the title has something like funhouse or carnival or circus to it but I can't find it. It'll probsbly turn out to be some Dean Koontz job.

Thanks for the help.

Sounds like Neverwhere, although don't remember killing the boss? It's been years since I read it.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
There's a Bentley Little book called The Ignored that's kinda like that.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

There's a Bentley Little book called The Ignored that's kinda like that.

That's exactly it. It's the same carousel cover I remembered. Thanks.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I read a lot of his books. Some good, some dumb as hell. They always seemed to start with "The" though. Always liked that for some reason.

Glad to have helped!

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul
Oldpainless's question reminded me of a story I'd like to get the title of. It's probably a Hugo winner from way back, but that's not certain. I've read it a dozen times, but I don't remember which collection it was in.

The story is about a sort of superman, who tries to live his life anonymously. He's forced to deal with some people when the government decides to build a road through his house, I think. The protagonist recounts how he would fight in his youth, but he grew disgusted by it, because no one had a chance against his superior speed and strength. It was like picking on children, to him. He has learned there are others like himself, and he has learned to recognize them. At one point, he's watching a baseball game, and he can see that the pitcher is bored, and intentionally toning down his pitches, so as not to make it obvious how abnormal he is. The main character, and others like him, seem to have an innate ability to fly under the radar. People don't notice them. People who meet them, forget them. The protagonist speculates that this is an evolved survival trait, to allow those like himself to get an anchor in the world. Otherwise, the masses who are to be slowly replaced by the new breed would likely take action.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Taking another run at this. It's a collection (or possibly a couple of collections I'm mixing up) of (mostly ghost) stories for kids, probably published in the UK in the 1970s or 1980s. Some of the stories:
- A nerdy kid in WWII London (I remember his mum makes him wear a liberty bodice) finds his lodger is a German spy who's growing luminous mushrooms in his shed (he scatters the mushroom spores on the roofs of certain buildings so the mushrooms will be a target for the bombers)
- A gang of Indonesian (?) kids who fly fighting kites find their kites getting picked off by a mysterious phantom kite;
- A teacher gives a troubled student a box with 'one happy day' inside it (it looks like a marble);
- A goony kid takes his friend on a trip to an old castle hoping to see a ghost, they don't but his friend is transported to another world (and dies there);
- A doll repairman steals parts from dolls he repairs to build a daughter for himself.

I'm going crazy here, someone put me out of my misery

e: and the illustrations were sort of Ralph Steadman/Gerald Scarfeish but I don't think it was either of them

Clipperton fucked around with this message at 07:35 on May 30, 2016

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Looking for a story probably originally posted here by someone else.

Was a journal from a member of a society of pneumatic clockwork devices.

They forsee their apocalypse as the difference in airpressure is changing and they have no way to charge their brains or can conceive of a pump that would do so that wouldn't cost more energy then it produces

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Hughlander posted:

Looking for a story probably originally posted here by someone else.

Was a journal from a member of a society of pneumatic clockwork devices.

They forsee their apocalypse as the difference in airpressure is changing and they have no way to charge their brains or can conceive of a pump that would do so that wouldn't cost more energy then it produces

http://www.lightspeedmagazine.com/fiction/exhalation/

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Got it in one thanks!

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
A short story or novella about a place (a planet I think) where masks are a required part of your wardrobe. They indicate social class and you're expected to have a few for different situations.

Some lazy snob comes there and grabs a moon-moth mask and never changes it. Everyone snipes at him for being a lazy slob foreigner. Then he somehow gets into some kind of trouble where he loses his mask. He's gone native by this point and is really broken up about it. He manages to save the day and everyone is impressed with his bravery.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Added Space posted:

A short story or novella about a place (a planet I think) where masks are a required part of your wardrobe. They indicate social class and you're expected to have a few for different situations.

Some lazy snob comes there and grabs a moon-moth mask and never changes it. Everyone snipes at him for being a lazy slob foreigner. Then he somehow gets into some kind of trouble where he loses his mask. He's gone native by this point and is really broken up about it. He manages to save the day and everyone is impressed with his bravery.
I read this within the last few years - maybe part of one of the SF awards packets one or two years ago? The foreigner was chasing a fugitive and ended up swapping masks to trick him at some point or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Added Space posted:

Jack Vance's The Moon Moth