Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Arglebargle III posted:

Are chaos hordes tied to their lord? The chaos legendary lords are really unappealing if I have to start them off at turn 60 with a size 1 garbage marauder horde when it's time to invade the realms of men.

Why is there no black crusade vidya?

You can freely trade units between hordes. So if you build up one horde as your Chosen manufacturory you can happily fill your other hordes with them, as long as they are nearby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

wiegieman posted:

Chaos invasion is number of provinces (not settlements) or number of turns, whichever comes first.

Since I tend to expand slowly and carefully, I would guess that's why I've been consistently hitting the turn deadline.

For the first wave, it's around turn 60. For the second wave with Archaon, it's about turn 100.

Today, I fought a Greenskin army lead by a goblin shaman. When he cast his first spell, right before our infantry contacted, he exploded. It's so nice that not only can your opponents make mistakes, they play by some of the same rules you do. I was afraid for a second the AI was immune to overcasting backlash.

Also, Ghal Maraz is essential to an Empire campaign. It gives you 5 faction-wide public order! That's better than an extra hostelry in each province, and it's free and doesn't take up a building slot. I got it as soon as I could, even though it took a long, annoying sailing trip to the badlands to find greenskins to fight.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
Auto resolve seems weird enough that you could probably game it if you chose. Slayers seem always to get wiped out to the last dwarf (I auto resolved a really easy siege of Pillars on like turn 2 of a new Dwarf campaign with Ungrim and promptly lost every single Slayer). Irondrakes and Quarrelers seem to get loads of XP, rack up tons of kills and take few casualties. So I want to try whether filling my armies with those will let me auto-resolve to victory

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Olive Branch posted:

This poster has good and correct VC methods. I sometimes save my Winds of Power after the battle is in the bag to do exactly this. RISE FROM YOUR GRAVE!

This works even better with VCs, because their good agents all get power drain and the active that boosts winds.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

William Bear posted:

Since I tend to expand slowly and carefully, I would guess that's why I've been consistently hitting the turn deadline.

For the first wave, it's around turn 60. For the second wave with Archaon, it's about turn 100.

Today, I fought a Greenskin army lead by a goblin shaman. When he cast his first spell, right before our infantry contacted, he exploded. It's so nice that not only can your opponents make mistakes, they play by some of the same rules you do. I was afraid for a second the AI was immune to overcasting backlash.

Also, Ghal Maraz is essential to an Empire campaign. It gives you 5 faction-wide public order! That's better than an extra hostelry in each province, and it's free and doesn't take up a building slot. I got it as soon as I could, even though it took a long, annoying sailing trip to the badlands to find greenskins to fight.

I only got the Runefang, though I did a bunch of Gelt's items. That bonus for Ghal Maraz seems pretty cool though. Despite not having it, I found mixing in pubs and Sigmar shrines was good enough, which was useful since I believe I missed out on the quest line. I could make all of my top tier units across my provinces, though some had to specialize in certain unit types, and I had a really nice economy. Getting Marienburg really helped on that end.. Honestly, I may jump into a harder Emp campaign and try doing more of the quest battles. Also just to get better at the game itself. I'd try out mods, but I don't want something that drastically changes stuff, since sometimes modders' attempts to balance or tweak a game don't always work. Definitely think this has the best TW campaign I've played in a while and the AI does seem to be a lot more aggressive. I haven't face it in a siege since all sieges I've done have been auto-resolved (no point in commanding a battle you can't lose).

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

Kid just rages for a while.
These orc remnants are really becoming a pain in my rear end in a top hat. Their forces are just strong enough to defeat my city watch and once I got my main standing army involved, we've been playing tag for like 5 turns because he's always JUST BARELY out of range to engage. gently caress you orcs.

:ughh:

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

NT Plus posted:

These orc remnants are really becoming a pain in my rear end in a top hat. Their forces are just strong enough to defeat my city watch and once I got my main standing army involved, we've been playing tag for like 5 turns because he's always JUST BARELY out of range to engage. gently caress you orcs.

Ambush stance.

NuckmasterJ
Aug 9, 2008
Grimey Drawer

NT Plus posted:

Snag the mod that gives your armies 10% movement range in your territory. It makes sense, its your lands and you would know it best.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug

Triskelli posted:

What's the Gold/Silver shield mod for Dwarfs?

Dwarven shields - Gold and Silver

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Mazz posted:

Just tested doing this myself, and it works fine.

Assuming you are using the PFM, make sure your file looks like this:

1. You create your own mod (File > New)
2. Add the tables you need from the vanilla Data.pack (Files > Add) + navigate to them, right click the directory headers to add them on the fly
3. Once you have the tables you need, add a prefix so they are now unique and don't replace the master files but still overwrite vanilla entries because of the header names being the same. I use mazz__ . You do this so that you don't break the master files, and so that you can delete every other entry in the file but your additions/changes, i.e. the vanilla land_units has every unit in the game, you don't want your file touching all of those because you will overwrite everything else, like new patch stuff.
4. Make your changes
5. Save, and make sure after the save the values are actually changed, the PFM has a weird problem with not updating status on some saves so you have save the values an extra time.
6. If the mod isn't uploaded to the workshop, the mod manager will see it as out-of-date, click to load out of date mods and make sure its got the green check mark so you can properly activate it for your game.
Awesome, thanks. This is much better than any of the getting-started guides I found on the various TW forums.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Just want to emphasize because I keep forgetting: unit recruitment is tied to Lords, NOT cities. Keep loving forgetting that and leaving lords farther away than I need to, argh.

Also I wish Karl Franz got quest items that he could use all at the same time. Ghol Maraz is the obvious choice once you get it so the Runefang feels wasted.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
So before this becomes an issue, how do you swap out units in an army? Like if I have an army pull of Boyz that I want to replace with Big 'Uns?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Deified Data posted:

So before this becomes an issue, how do you swap out units in an army? Like if I have an army pull of Boyz that I want to replace with Big 'Uns?

No way except disbanding them, or getting them all killed in some senseless war on foreign soil. No blood for waugh, etc etc

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Ah well, I'm sure I can find a way to do that.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Deified Data posted:

If you want, you could recruit another army leader, and right click your existing army to bring up the screen to transfer those Boyz to a new army so you don't have get rid of them. I don't recommend it, tough. Boyz break too easily. Replace them all with Big'Uns.

If you have access to Big'Uns, Boyz are only useful for maintaining public order on garrison duty and acting as a backup group to your main army to help them autoresolve with fewer casualties to your good troops.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Huh, no one's added Gold wizards or Amethyst wizards yet. I guess MAGIC HEADS like me who really care about warhammer magic are rare.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

William Bear posted:

If you want, you could recruit another army leader, and right click your existing army to bring up the screen to transfer those Boyz to a new army so you don't have get rid of them. I don't recommend it, tough. Boyz break too easily. Replace them all with Big'Uns.

If you have access to Big'Uns, Boyz are only useful for maintaining public order on garrison duty and acting as a backup group to your main army to help them autoresolve with fewer casualties to your good troops.

So I got a Goblin Big Boss from completing a quest objective, but he has no army. You're saying I can transfer Boyz to him and just leave them there to reinforce the garrison? Do you need heroes to do this or is there a way to just leave Boyz there?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The Duggler posted:

I am really looking for a reason not to buy this game.

I have recently gotten back into Attila but all the battles end up the same, 2500 horse archers vs an army not prepared to face 2500 horse archers. AoC was cool, but the time period still left all the factions feeling very samey.

The unit variety in this game looks great, and the big units remind me of the small units in Shogun 1 that wrecked but could get overwhelmed easily. I remember reading a review that said the campaign map portion of the game was really bad, but you guys don't seem to share that sentiment. Having several races all with different mechanics sounds amazing to me.

I have seen keys for this game for around $45 Canadian and that's a really tempting price for me for more total war

So if anyone has a killer reason not to buy, or reasons to wait for a deep sale please let me know otherwise I'll be waagh-ing uncontrollably by tonight

It's very good now. But in the future there will be more factions. Tbh there's enough content here that you'll probably get more out of it if you buy now, do the 5 available campaigns, then put it down and come back for dlc. It's been a very good season for vidya.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Deified Data posted:

So I got a Goblin Big Boss from completing a quest objective, but he has no army. You're saying I can transfer Boyz to him and just leave them there to reinforce the garrison? Do you need heroes to do this or is there a way to just leave Boyz there?

You do need heroes to do this. I'm not sure what the Orc building chain is like but Empire gets garrison buildings that increase the garrison units for zero maintenance. If you aren't expecting major attacks it's usually best to do that rather than pay for a lord and his troops to sit there. In previous TW games (not sure about Rome 2) you could leave them there without a lord, but this game is much more lord centric. Helps that they can't die of old age.

rockopete fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jun 1, 2016

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Grondoth posted:

Huh, no one's added Gold wizards or Amethyst wizards yet. I guess MAGIC HEADS like me who really care about warhammer magic are rare.

Metal and death are both in the game.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Arglebargle III posted:

But the Empire doesn't get them. I'm sure they'll be added soon enough, since the Lore's already there. We're only missing Shadow, Beasts and Life of the Battle Magic lores, right?
Fire
Death
Life
Beasts
Metal
Heavens
Shadow
Light

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Fangz posted:

No way except disbanding them, or getting them all killed in some senseless war on foreign soil. No blood for waugh, etc etc

You can always recruit a fresh lord and then swap the units between the existing army and the new one.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

So i see people sometime arranging their ranged units in blocks, rather than lines. Is there something i'm missing there? I've pretty much always set my ranged units up as long rear end lines for maximum pew pew.

What is the max depths for ranged units to still fire all their weapons at the enemy?

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Is there a recommended race for Total War newbies? The Dwarves are meant to be easiest, but i've read other people saying VCs are also pretty easy to begin with.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

John Charity Spring posted:

You can always recruit a fresh lord and then swap the units between the existing army and the new one.

Right but that doesn't resolve the basic problem that you are paying for their upkeep.

Blinks77 posted:

So i see people sometime arranging their ranged units in blocks, rather than lines. Is there something i'm missing there? I've pretty much always set my ranged units up as long rear end lines for maximum pew pew.

What is the max depths for ranged units to still fire all their weapons at the enemy?

Hmm, the main reason to use blocks is that the unit is easier to manoeuvre and your front line is better at protecting them.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

I wiped out all of the northern tribes. Do not wipe out all of the northern tribes. Holy poo poo that was a tedious game of whack-a-mole where they'd constantly send out tiny armies to recolonize one of the ten thousand settlements up there, all hidden and blocked by line of sight.

Luckily I was playing Dwarfs so I could use the underway to get around quicker without suffering attrition. That would have been hell in raiding stance. It still was hell though because you take a ton of attrition casualties every time you raze an enemy camp, which there are an insane number of and they kept popping back up. Closest place to repopulate your forces is ages away and if you leave to go do that, the entire north will be full of these horse skirmisher motherfuckers all over again. I only managed to keep them contained by spreading 5 full stacks all around the mountains, and wouldn't have been able to do it much longer because every unit was down to like 10% of its men due to attrition and combat. Pretty good exp, at least.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Gunder posted:

Is there a recommended race for Total War newbies? The Dwarves are meant to be easiest, but i've read other people saying VCs are also pretty easy to begin with.

I can vouch that it's pretty hard for even complete Total War newbies to lose with Vampire Counts.

I restarted a bunch because I had no clue about even the basic controls or game mechanics, but once you get the basics they're pretty easy.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Gunder posted:

I'd recommend Empire. There's a lot of toys for you to play with and many different army setups will work, and as long as you don't declare war randomly the diplomatic situation is fairly stable. Everything is also fairly intuitive.

You don't have to worry about corruption and you army vanishing suddenly due to crumbling also.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Mazz posted:

Also, I once routed him with a garrison, I don't know how that worked:

Miners pierce armor. Once they swarm up on him like that he won't be able to kill them all faster than they can pick him to death.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

As the dude right under your post said, they're in but the empire doesn't have battle wizards of them. The empire doesn't even GET Death.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Grondoth posted:

As the dude right under your post said, they're in but the empire doesn't have battle wizards of them. The empire doesn't even GET Death.

I feel like giving the Empire every spell school would rather dilute the uniqueness of the factions though. Maybe if we were talking a LL and you can only train one.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
Oh, wow, the zombie officers in that Officers mod actually look great. It's just a zombie head (and animations) on an Empire body.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

I caved and bought it :)

I was thinking maybe I'll try to contact CA and get the chaos pack since I was like day late on getting that :( Its not too expensive, but its something that will definitely go on sale at a better price in the near future

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Fangz posted:

I feel like giving the Empire every spell school would rather dilute the uniqueness of the factions though. Maybe if we were talking a LL and you can only train one.

One of the Empire's advantages is that they get access to all of the lores of Magic. Since factions are already incredibly unique and distinct, I don't think "Can also train death wizards" is that bad of a thing. I'd like to see the Vampires able to choose which lore their casters learn, like Chaos Sorcerers can, though. Frankly I'd like to see everyone get wider access to magical lores, magical lores are fun!

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I feel like siege times and the labor amount you get to build siege could use a rework, 15 turns to get a surrender for a siege and a ram that I always abandon because it's slower then running someone to break the gate.

I'd like to see rams with double the movement speed and more then half the time to starve out a city for a siege, maybe those -1 turn for a city to surrender traits would matter if it went from 5 to 4 instead of 15 to 14.

I'd also like to see monsters of a sufficient enough size and cost to get a trait called "Living Battering Ram" that let's you skip building a ram for a siege, why the gently caress do I need a battering ram when I can send a giant or varghul to break the gate before the ram has even gotten remotely close.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
So after 120 turns on my first campaign with greenskins, I started a new Empire campaign and holy poo poo empire knights are simply amazing compared to wolf/spider riders it's not even funny. Wolf and spider riders are borderline unusuable because they can only barely win vs siege crews and ranged infantry blocks like quarrelers and thunderers will outpunch them in melee.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I feel like siege times and the labor amount you get to build siege could use a rework, 15 turns to get a surrender for a siege and a ram that I always abandon because it's slower then running someone to break the gate.

I'd like to see rams with double the movement speed and more then half the time to starve out a city for a siege, maybe those -1 turn for a city to surrender traits would matter if it went from 5 to 4 instead of 15 to 14.

I'd also like to see monsters of a sufficient enough size and cost to get a trait called "Living Battering Ram" that let's you skip building a ram for a siege, why the gently caress do I need a battering ram when I can send a giant or varghul to break the gate before the ram has even gotten remotely close.

On that note, why do they even force you to build at least 1 siege item when you can just ladder up the walls for free anyways.

I do kind of wish that the creepy crawlies like ghouls and spider riders could just scamper up walls quickly without needing ladders. Give them a use to be able to quickly scamper up walls and engage defenders to keep them from shooting the slower tougher guys.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
The knot heads or nob headz or whatever ran a waagh straight into my newly conquered black crag. I just managed to rout two of their armies and kill a third auxillary unit.

For the first time in years I'm actually having fun while playing a total war game.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Kimsemus posted:

All buildings are province wide, it's why it's best to put your basic troop barracks in a smaller town since it only requires a town level of III, and place all your buildings that require IV and V in your larger city.

That is, in hindsight, obvious. :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Am I right in thinking there's a mod that adds a fourth settlement level to minor settlements? I thought I'd read that in this thread but I can't find anything on the workshop.

• Locked thread