Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

lol @ only 19.6% crit and not stacking that poo poo + strength

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

by my bad estimation it's a little thinner than the Macbook Air's thickest point

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
rip the function keys i used regularly

replaced at best by a touchscreen like car dashboard buttons

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
the next-next macbook will remove the number row to make room for a bigger touchscreen.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

my guess is

rubbing finger on the left side => controls volume

rubbing finger on right side => controls brightness

holding Command lights up the screen to show the Dock, alt shows function keys, etc

it uses taptic

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i'm glad that folks are accepting these leaks as fact because everyone has come to acknowledge that tim's poor leadership now results in constant leaks and other security lapses

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
its pretty hard to avoid leaks for a phone when you need to build 50 million copies before the announcement but having laptops leaked is bad

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

getting rid of magsafe seems pretty dubious

touchscreen thing too, but i figure apple may actually be able to do something sane with that (strongarm devs into putting a lot of application-specific shortcuts and such on there)

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

wont work with a mac

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Maximum Leader posted:

wont work with a mac

it does if u install windows in it!!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

getting rid of magsafe seems pretty dubious
not really. it's clearly the direction they're moving. which sucks.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Stymie posted:

i'm glad that folks are accepting these leaks as fact because everyone has come to acknowledge that tim's poor leadership now results in constant leaks and other security lapses

they are too big to keep secrets now, they were only able to keep stuff secret because they were the underdog and nobody cared

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

PleasureKevin posted:

new Macbook may replace function keys with touch LCD
lenovo x1 carbon (generation 2) had an adaptive touch strip replacing its function keys

they went back to actual keys in the generation 3 model because the touch strip was such a piece of poo poo

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

it does not surprise me in the least that the company who came up with access connections is bad at making features that have a software component

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

carry on then posted:

it does not surprise me in the least that the company who came up with access connections is bad at making features that have a software component
a key part of the imaging process of my companys lenovos is the careful removal of any trace of any lenovo software

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

FMguru posted:

a key part of the imaging process of my companys lenovos is the careful removal of any trace of any lenovo software

they did a good job of leaving the thinkpad line mostly alone for a couple years after the acquisition to lull people into a false sense of security

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

that touchscreen strip sounds like a terrible idea, however apple is also v. good at touchscreen things. for example, the iphone.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

i'll be very impressed if they get taptic in there and if feels like you're pressing a key anyway

also might be cool if you can show all your Desktops/Spaces on there and switch between them without going into mission control or 3-finger swiping endlessly

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

poty posted:

its pretty hard to avoid leaks for a phone when you need to build 50 million copies before the announcement but having laptops leaked is bad

why?

who gives a poo poo?

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

:horse:
~*~THE SECRET OF THE MAGICAL CRYSTALS IS THAT I'M FUCKING TERRIBLE~*~

:horse:

Sagebrush posted:

why?

who gives a poo poo?

because you have 20,000 Foxconn wage slaves who can make a quick buck by taking a cell phone picture and selling it to a broker. there are more leaks because cell phones are more common and there are a lot more people working on the lines

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

no i mean why is it bad that the laptop was ~leaked~? who gives a poo poo?

it's a piece of consumer electronics, not the loving nuclear codes

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Stymie posted:

There have been leaks of thunderbolt to 3.5mm adapters being made

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Dodoman posted:

There have been leaks of thunderbolt to 3.5mm adapters being made

i think you mean Lightning.

there were also leaks of reversible USB 2.0 cables and iPhone 6-style iPhone SE devices (rounded sides). it's either non-Apple companies making Apple-looking products and leaking them as first-party, Apple seeding false designs and products to manufacturers to weed out the leakers or stuff Apple did small prototype batches of but never mass produced. however, i hope that the EarPods go Lightning, just not convinced by any leaks yet.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

the grognard in me is super pissed at the idea of using a 480MBps serial data bus to transmit an encoded signal that needs to be decoded again at the destination two feet away when it could be carried equally well in a simple analog pair and fed directly into the transducers

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

only reason for secrecy is corporate espionage. doesnt change anything if consumer knows something

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
the point is it shows that tim is lax in his leadership and it's indicative of other problems

if he's willing to allow leaks and other security problems, then what else is he neglecting as part of his duties

steve literally kiboshed an entire business deal with a company over security lapses on their part because he knew that it would lead to other, more significant problems later

also steve literally had someone killed over iphone leaks and surprise surprise, it stopped the leaks

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

apple was smaller and companies could still kill them at the time

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

a steady stream of leaks probably keeps apple in the news longer

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
which is a short-sighted business decision that doesn't take into account the larger implications of permitting security lapses, which goes right in line with tim's style of poor leadership that is tanking apple

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Triglav posted:

only reason for secrecy is corporate espionage. doesnt change anything if consumer knows something

what does apple have to lose from corporate espionage? when apple hardware is good, no other company can touch it even after years of trying (e.g. fingerprint sensors on iphones). when apple hardware is bad, companies don't gain anything from copying it (e.g. usb-c is the only port)

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Stymie posted:

which is a short-sighted business decision that doesn't take into account the larger implications of permitting security lapses, which goes right in line with tim's style of poor leadership that is tanking apple

presumably the only things leaking are pictures of pcbs and not like source code. that's probably not a big deal, yeah?

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

what does apple have to lose from corporate espionage? when apple hardware is good, no other company can touch it even after years of trying (e.g. fingerprint sensors on iphones). when apple hardware is bad, companies don't gain anything from copying it (e.g. usb-c is the only port)

first mover advantage could make a half ok execution beat an excellent one for a business cycle or so

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

like would android wear have been out for a few business cycles before the apple watch if it wasn't telegraphed years in advance that apple was making a watch thing

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

stop engaging and quoting stymie, you idiots

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Triglav posted:

i like the surprise of an unexpected product or feature, and i think apple likes surprising people too, for both the marketing buzz and the simple joy of it

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

PleasureKevin posted:

i like the surprise of an unexpected product or feature, and i think apple likes surprising people too, for both the marketing buzz and the simple joy of it

probably a good idea to not hook yourself up to an iv drip of apple rumors then is it

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

stuff leaked all the time when steve was there. ipads, intel macs...people knew the codename for intel os x for years

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Toady posted:

stuff leaked all the time when steve was there. ipads, intel macs...people knew the codename for intel os x for years

yellowbox was hidden in plain sight tbh

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
haven't seen any credible leaks yet just a bunch of clickbait

omg they're gonna move the antenna lines?! apple is doomed

lovely Chinese companies making cases and adaptors based on speculation alone has been a thing since the iPhone 3g

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
http://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Companies/Apple-to-extend-iPhone-s-product-cycle

tim "got nothing" cook has officially run out of steves ideas and doesnt have a clue what to do next. i for one look forward to the big launch of the iphone 6b this september. the b stands for barometer

• Locked thread