Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

tokenbrownguy posted:

I'm looking to sell a complete AGoT2 collection (minus whatever the most recent pack was). Anyone have any experience trying to sell something like that?

Condition and total cost to ship to Portland, OR?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Similarly, if anyone has a LotR set they want to dump, I'm interested.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

PJOmega posted:

Condition and total cost to ship to Portland, OR?

Never done this sort of thing before, so if you're interested, you'll need to be patient. I'll post pictures of the cards tomorrow.

Condition is drat near mint. I can't guarantee I have all of the tokens from the cores (due to sharing in melees) but you'll get more than you ever need. I also only have single of the core boxes that the core cards come in, but I don't think its even worth shipping. I used Dragon sleeves which I'll remove and only the Lannister cards have seen any real use.

I figure the pricing is something like this: Cores run $40 a piece, so $120. Each expansion set is $15, so that times five is $75, so about $200 retail. I'll give %60 for the goon discount so $120 plus $15 quoted for a USPS medium sized box to Portland. $135 sound fair?

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

sassassin posted:

But the Tolkiens actually just published a selection of books which have specific themes and how things are used is as if not more important than the idea that they exist at all.

That doesn't make sense at all. Are you saying that if something doesn't effect the 15 or so main characters in the narrative it shouldn't be included? And that's after ignoring the 2 battles Aragorn fought against the corsairs and everything that happens with ships in the appendices.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

What I'm getting is that if your Lord of the Rings game isn't an allegory for Jesus Christ and his sacrifice, it's not good?

I guess?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Return to Mirkwood is hard to solo, guys. :(

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Baron Porkface posted:

Are you saying that if something doesn't effect the 15 or so main characters in the narrative it shouldn't be included?

In a much broader sense, yes. New locations/characters/events etc. need to fit the thematic framework of the original stories, or else the IP just becomes a marketing tool and/or collection of recognisable names stapled onto any random bit of Fantasy fiction.

Carteret posted:

What I'm getting is that if your Lord of the Rings game isn't an allegory for Jesus Christ and his sacrifice, it's not good?

I guess?

If that was all the books were about they wouldn't be so long. Gandalf takes the ring from Frodo and lets himself be cast into Mount Doom by Eagles. The End.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Fat Samurai posted:

Return to Mirkwood is hard to solo, guys. :(

Yes, I've beaten everything up through the end of the Dwarrowdelf cycle, and Escape from Dol Guldur and Return to Mirkwood are the only quests I've had to play two-handed. The threat spiking and treacheries are just insane.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

sassassin posted:

In a much broader sense, yes. New locations/characters/events etc. need to fit the thematic framework of the original stories, or else the IP just becomes a marketing tool and/or collection of recognisable names stapled onto any random bit of Fantasy fiction.

I watched The Hobbit, I'm pretty sure this happened already

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Tauriel did nothing wrong.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

#AzogDiedAtNanduhirion

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

sassassin posted:

need to fit the thematic framework of the original stories,

A. No it doesn't.

B. You haven't demonstrated that the new characters and situations don't fit the thematic framework.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Baron Porkface posted:

A. No it doesn't.

B. You haven't demonstrated that the new characters and situations don't fit the thematic framework.

sassassin posted:

It's like saying a cycle where players steal a magic ring and build weapons factories in The Shire fits perfectly within Tolkien's world.

Tolkien's writing frequently use the sea, but in specific and consistent ways; 'the Sea once again represents a mysterious longing for something greater beyond earthly delight'. Fighting pirates and searching for treasures isn't a comfortable fit (nor is coming home afterwards, the sea is usually a one-way journey).

sassassin posted:

But they didn't go on a quest to take those swords. Desiring treasures is bad (the ring, Smaug's treasure, the covetous Kings of Men & Dwarves, Lobelia Sackville-Baggins, Aragorn asking for his many heirlooms...), happening on rewards is fine (the ring), as is receiving reward for good works done without hope of it (the mithril vest, those swords etc.). The ability to let items of "value" go is also central to Tolkien's view of "goodness" (as is light skin).

Treasure hunting is coded negatively in the books. And sailing out to sea has specific thematic meaning.

They wanted to make a sailing and treasure hunting game and that's cool. Doesn't chulhu or whatever live in the sea?

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

The sea is mentioned in other contexts than longing for something greater. It is not a specific and consistent theme, and neither is the treasure issue. Did you forget that Aragorn fought two wars against the corsairs?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Baron Porkface posted:

The sea is mentioned in other contexts than longing for something greater. It is not a specific and consistent theme, and neither is the treasure issue.

Please provide examples, as you have asked me to do (also that sea quote came from the article posted, it's not my personal thesis statement).

Baron Porkface posted:

Did you forget that Aragorn fought two wars against the corsairs?

What kinds of wars were they? In what context and circumstance did they take place?

I don't pay much attention to the minutiae of the appendices tbh. The stories Tolkien wrote are worth far more than the "history" he constructed (except where they intersect or are referenced in his musical interludes etc.)

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Oh my god shut up already.

And sell me your collection.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Bottom Liner posted:

Oh my god shut up already.

And sell me your collection.

Where are you located?

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
I just got the lotr core set and its really fun and hard. prolly one of the most fun board games I've played and its cool that you can play it solo too. I was never interested in it cause I'm not really that into lotr but I loved netrunner and the ffg star wars minis so the idea of a solo/coop one sounded pretty cool and it is. also lol at the one dude in the thread. you know the one.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

apropos to nothing posted:

I just got the lotr core set and its really fun and hard. prolly one of the most fun board games I've played and its cool that you can play it solo too. I was never interested in it cause I'm not really that into lotr but I loved netrunner and the ffg star wars minis so the idea of a solo/coop one sounded pretty cool and it is. also lol at the one dude in the thread. you know the one.

Rude and cowardly, this.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

sassassin posted:

Rude and cowardly, this.

Hey, at least you're known for something!

Welcome! And yeah the LOTR theme is great *cough cough* but you don't have to be super invested for the game to work as a whole!

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

The Hobbit: OHUH is hard. I've gotten my clock cleaned by trolls twice now.

Going to try an extreme threat management deck and pace through stage 1 much more slowly.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
If anyone in the UK is looking for a bunch of quests and (non-elf) player cards I've got way more than it's sensible for me to own tbqh.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

sassassin posted:

Where are you located?

Orlando FL

Side note, if I buy my own collection, would 2 cores and the first cycle be recommended, or should I just bite the bullet and get 3x cores? Is it the kind of thing I'll eventually need, or do the expansions add enough player cards to make up for missing 3x somet things?

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
In the escape from dol guldur scenario if there's an enemy guard attached to an objective and it's threat is lower than mine, does it still engage me like normal or does it just hang out in the staging area until I choose to engage it?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Too humid for cards there imo.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Bottom Liner posted:

Orlando FL

Side note, if I buy my own collection, would 2 cores and the first cycle be recommended, or should I just bite the bullet and get 3x cores? Is it the kind of thing I'll eventually need, or do the expansions add enough player cards to make up for missing 3x somet things?

I guess I'm less nuts than your avg gamer but I had 1 core for like the first two years I played this game. If I needed/wanted more of the limited cards I just proxied them. Even when I did get the missing core cards I actually just bought someone else's extra's off ebay for way less than extra core boxes.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
1 core only. Don't encourage a 3 core marketplace.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

I mean, there's a couple cards I would like more of from the core and way down the road I might look into a second core, but I think three cores is overkill.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Bottom Liner posted:

You don't need a third core. The second one is debatable, both for the cards and in case you ever want to play with 3+ people (hell, I've run out of resource tokens when running pure leadership decks).

In the escape from dol guldur scenario if there's an enemy guard attached to an objective and it's threat is lower than mine, does it still engage me like normal or does it just hang out in the staging area until I choose to engage it?

They behave like normal enemies.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

tokenbrownguy posted:

Never done this sort of thing before, so if you're interested, you'll need to be patient. I'll post pictures of the cards tomorrow.

Condition is drat near mint. I can't guarantee I have all of the tokens from the cores (due to sharing in melees) but you'll get more than you ever need. I also only have single of the core boxes that the core cards come in, but I don't think its even worth shipping. I used Dragon sleeves which I'll remove and only the Lannister cards have seen any real use.

I figure the pricing is something like this: Cores run $40 a piece, so $120. Each expansion set is $15, so that times five is $75, so about $200 retail. I'll give %60 for the goon discount so $120 plus $15 quoted for a USPS medium sized box to Portland. $135 sound fair?

If he's not into this, I might be, with some caveats. I would mostly only want the core sets (been looking at getting 3x more for additional deck building without restriction/having to move around neutral stuff), but would take the Chapter Packs as well if you don't want to split it all up. Additionally wouldn't have any need for any of the tokens, or the original game box, just the cards. Total count is around 1,000 cards, so toss them in one of these and tape it up good, and I'm sure shipping would be a lot less than $15.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

I think multiple LOTR core sets is not just overkill, but imbalancing. Having 3 Unexpected Courages would feel like cheating.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
If you buy a set of nice sleeves, it's real easy to proxy cards for this game. Just take an unrelated card and either print out an insert with the card details to put on the top of it or use a post-it note.

I recently learned that Dominion designed Donald X Vaccarino has done that for every development copy of Dominion and expansions that he's made, using old Magic cards as a substrate and a printed insert on top of it in a good sleeve :v:

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

3 core sets so you can have 12 Gandalfs

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Buy core sets gradually. 1 core for every four deluxe boxes.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Protector of Lorien is the only core card I even use any more.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
The nice thing about LOTR is that since there aren't tournaments or anything, everyone is really laid back. Need another Unexpected Courage? Proxy it. Use one of the garbage cards you ordinary wouldnt use and treat it like an Unexpected Courage. No one should care.

You can only get away with this kind of thing in LotR, so you might as well take advantage of it.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

CaptainRightful posted:

I think multiple LOTR core sets is not just overkill, but imbalancing. Having 3 Unexpected Courages would feel like cheating.

3? That's only 1 deck's worth, better break out the xerox. One game I think Beregond had 5 or 6 on him alone!

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Is this the thread to talk about the Pathfinder Adventure Card Game because that's pretty close to being a co-op LCG and its loving DOPE

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

tokenbrownguy posted:

If it falls through with the other guy, I'd be down for this. Will send you a PM as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Quick question about Arianne Martell in AGoT:

Am I missing something with her ability because I keep reading about people using her in ways that I'm not grasping or her being a much bigger deal than I would think (she's already pretty great)? I've seen people say she grants extra stands but I'm not sure I understand how. Unless it's by using her in a challenge and then bouncing her for a new character who is standing. The wording of the things I'm reading makes it seem like characters that are already on the board are able to stand by using her in some way. Am I misreading or is that possible due to a rules thing I'm overlooking?