Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

Cultural Imperial posted:

You can stop rewatching the hunt for red October Lt cndr dallaire

CI u never told me the story of dallaire pissing his pants

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Let's go back to Maple Leaf Forever, and while we're at it, let's call it Dominion Day again. gently caress the french.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
We should all just hum the hockey night in canada theme.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Ambrose Burnside posted:

CI u never told me the story of dallaire pissing his pants

he was passed out on a bench in an ottawa park and the cop said he smelled like urine

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The anthem was actually written by one of my ancestors, Basile Routier (Calixa Lavallée did the melody). It was originally a song for a hockey team.

I say replace it with The Internationale.

PT6A posted:

There's no good reason not to change the anthem, so there shouldn't be an argument. The mention of God should probably go away too, to be more inclusive of people of non-Abrahamic faiths.

God is actually in the Canadian Constitution.
:goonsay:

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

ZShakespeare posted:

We should all just hum the hockey night in canada theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbZMnF1VNlE

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

namaste faggots posted:

he was passed out on a bench in an ottawa park and the cop said he smelled like urine

Dallaire visited in my old university once and I remembered that story (as well as his wading into the river suicide attempt) and was describing it to my friend when we were walking through a series of halls and lobby, anyway it turned out that I passed Dalliare himself, who was waiting with a bunch of people right outside the big atrium. I have no idea if he heard a part of my stupid gossiping about his pstd episodes. felt lovely.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

quote:

China’s foreign minister to meet with Trudeau in Ottawa

Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi will hold high-level talks with Prime Minister Justin Trudeau on Parliament Hill on Wednesday as planning gets under way for Mr. Trudeau’s official visit to China in the fall.

Mr. Wang is also meeting Foreign Affairs Minister Stéphane Dion in what the Chinese government said is the first annual meeting of foreign affairs ministers. The two men will discuss the upcoming G20 summit, global issues and human rights, Mr. Dion’s office said.

Charles Burton, a former counsellor at the Canadian embassy in Beijing, expressed surprise that the government had not informed Canadians that it has set up a formalized arrangement for annual talks with China’s foreign minister.

“You would have thought if Canada had established a formal mechanism for regular meetings between cabinet ministers of the two countries, normally one would expect that would have been publicly announced. It is quite a major thing,” Mr. Burton said in an interview.

Mr. Wang’s visit was announced Monday in Beijing and late Tuesday in Ottawa. Usually such visits are made public days before the event.

“The fact that this visit by a foreign minister of a major country has been done more or less secretly, presumably to prevent public demonstrations and representations being made about it, so it looks like the government is going about the China policy process in a way that will limit public debate,” Mr. Burton said.

The Prime Minister has made re-engagement with China a key foreign policy initiative as his government presses for a free-trade deal with the world’s second-largest economy – even as polls show Canadians have a very negative impression of the Chinese government and are narrowly opposed to a free-trade deal with the country.

A Nanos Research survey, commissioned by The Globe and Mail in February, found that 76 per cent of respondents had a negative or somewhat negative view of the Chinese government, compared with only 2 per cent who had positive and 9 per cent who had somewhat positive opinions.

By a narrow margin, poll respondents also did not like the idea of a China-Canada free-trade deal. Forty-seven per cent said they opposed or somewhat opposed talks, and 41 per cent said they supported or somewhat supported them.

The Nanos poll reached 1,000 Canadians through a telephone and online survey. It is considered accurate to within plus or minus 3.1 percentage points, 19 times out of 20.

China has made it a precondition of negotiations on free trade that Canada ensure an energy pipeline from the oil sands to the coast of British Columbia. It also wants the federal government to lift foreign investment restrictions on Chinese state-own enterprises in the oil and gas sector.

Mr. Trudeau promised before last fall’s election that he would lift the restrictions that were put in place by the former Conservative government, although Mr. Burton noted that Canada’s security agencies have concerns about Chinese control of vital Canadian resource companies.

“You have Canadian security agencies who are concerned about more Chinese state investment leading to more security problems. It seems to be the security agencies, human-rights groups and public opinion at large are wanting more input into the process which we engage China,” Mr. Burton said.

Mr. Trudeau’s former national security adviser, Richard Fadden, said the Chinese have been heavily engaged in spying and cyber attacks in Canada.

“Their broad approach is to use the vacuum cleaner approach. They’ll, you know, pretty well take anything,” Mr. Fadden, a former director of the Canadian Security Intelligence Service, said in an interview on Sunday. “So I think it’s actually quite difficult to balance all of this and make sure we have a work-a-day relationship, while at the same time making it very clear we don’t like the cyber attacks.”

Mr. Trudeau is planning an official visit of between six and eight days in China around the time of the G20 summit, which will be hosted by Chinese President Xi Jinping in the southern city of Hangzhou from Sept. 4-5. Free trade will likely top the agenda.

wow how did I never hear about that Trudeau promise during the election? Funny that Trudeau is to the right of Harper here.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Bunny of dim, defend this

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Femtosecond posted:

wow how did I never hear about that Trudeau promise during the election? Funny that Trudeau is to the right of Harper here.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Femtosecond posted:

Liberals fully supported the TPP with the Cons so this really shouldnt come as a surprise to anyone. Also

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I was talking to some offshore folks in Indonesia today and I found myself thinking, "Liberal deals with the brutal dictator Suharto made it possible for these jobs to be sent overseas." :canada:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

I was talking to some offshore folks in Indonesia today and I found myself thinking, "Liberal deals with the brutal dictator Suharto made it possible for these jobs to be sent overseas." :canada:

Well at least we didn't help with the Genocide, unlike Thatcher.

I mean, we did jackshit, but it's still better than outright helping.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

namaste faggots posted:

You can stop rewatching the hunt for red October Lt cndr dallaire

why the hell would I do that? It's hilarious. Whoever decided to cast Sean loving Connery as Marko Ramius is a mad genius

"SHUM THINGHS IN HERE DON'T REHSPOND TOO WELLTO BULLETSH"

:stare: yea. like me. I don't respond too well to bullets.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

Femtosecond posted:

lol the pipeline talk sure takes o n a new light with this.

gently caress why are they always jacking off free trade agreements, do they want to push more jobs oversees

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

gently caress why are they always jacking off free trade agreements, do they want to push more jobs oversees

When you have enough capital to make money globally by destroying the economy locally, it's full speed ahead. I sincerely doubt that there is a single person in the house of Commons that actually gives a poo poo about this country.

That's why.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

Because people lobbying the government make money off the workers in the jobs, not from the jobs themselves.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
You all so precious

posting on the internet, giving a poo poo about Canadians

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I thought Dion trying to put a positive spin on the media scrum where the Chinese foreign minister dressed down an iPolitics reporter for asking what death camp Kevin Garratt is in was the biggest eye roll I was going to have this morning.

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/politics/chinese-foreign-minister-berates-reporter-1.3611510

Still better than arming the Saudis I guess.

brucio
Nov 22, 2004
https://twitter.com/alexboutilier/status/738387341165899776?s=09

Tory freakout incoming

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

https://twitter.com/kady/status/738388242207232004

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Let me pose this question. If we are manufacturing weapons of war which ostensibly are used to kill why does it matter to whom we sell to?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

jm20 posted:

Let me pose this question. If we are manufacturing weapons of war which ostensibly are used to kill why does it matter to whom we sell to?

Unironically this. Let the free market decide. Isis wants to pay for c7 rifles? Who are we to judge? :shrug:

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

jm20 posted:

Norway is not murdering civilians in Yemen.

namaste faggots posted:

Unironically this. Let the free market decide. Isis wants to pay for c7 rifles? Who are we to judge? :shrug:

I guess if we're going to sell them anything we should sell them crap.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
What happens if Norway goes full nazi and uses the weapons to kill god fearing white people and then Saudi Arabia stops them?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

lmao

lmao

Now watch the NDP torpedo their chance at electoral reform because they can't support anything proposed by a woman beater like Trudeau.

brucio
Nov 22, 2004
I'm looking forward to the Tories being sidelined forever. Is there any system that would be good for them other than FPTP?

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

brucio posted:

I'm looking forward to the Tories being sidelined forever. Is there any system that would be good for them other than FPTP?

Authoritarian dictatorship.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

brucio posted:

Some sort of populist-nationalist pseudo-democracy that lets them ban certain opposition parties and have total control over the country's media and courts.

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

lmao so we are literally going to give our resources wholesale to the Chinese, build a pipeline out to BC, and sell arms to a country that still thinks giving gays the death penalty is a cool and good thing

BUT GUYS THE NATIONAL ANTHEM! GENDERED LENSES!!

this loving country

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

brucio posted:

FPTP has lost them all power everywhere except Manitoba and Saskatchewan. I honestly don't get their attachment to it.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
This is because China owns so much of Alberta's oil, probably 75%+ of the work I did drilling in Alberta was for subsidiary companies owned by CNPC, CNOC, or rich Chinese nationals.

brucio
Nov 22, 2004
https://twitter.com/ScottReidCPC/status/738405511540965381?s=09

Lol

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

What??

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Referendums are populist bullshit and are horrible because trying to actually educate low info voters on anything sufficiently is a nightmare.

Newfie
Oct 8, 2013

10 years of oil boom and 20 billion dollars cash, all I got was a case of beer, a pack of smokes, and 14% unemployment.
Thanks, Danny.
Newfoundland politics, so corrupt that they get their own vice article to untangle in bullshit: http://www.vice.com/en_ca/read/balls-to-the-wall-newfoundland-premier-could-be-exiled-over-payout-scandal

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

22 of the 30 of conservative Canadians we phoned on their land lines gave a "yes" answer to a question we aren't telling you.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I thought Dion trying to put a positive spin on the media scrum where the Chinese foreign minister dressed down an iPolitics reporter for asking what death camp Kevin Garratt is in was the biggest eye roll I was going to have this morning.

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/politics/chinese-foreign-minister-berates-reporter-1.3611510

Wang Yi posted:

“I have to ask whether you understand China,” he said. “Have you been to China? Do you know that China has lifted more than 600 million people out of poverty? Do you know that China is now the second largest economy in the world, (built up) from a very low foundation? Do you think development is possible for China without the protection of human rights?

"Do you think development will be possible with such protections?" is the reason I'm not a journalist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Collateral damage of human rights is going to happen in a centrally planned state.