Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Cam Brate is a scrub tier street FA and Mike Evans can't catch a red zone target to save his life. ASJ supremacy, ladies and gents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

You are my underwater, underwater friends!

MrSargent posted:

How can you call someone currently going in the 12th+ round a "trap player". If a late round selection like that puts up even mediocre numbers, it was a good selection. Just curious, what TE's do you like this year?
I call him a trap player because of the context in which his name is brought up. "Don't focus on a higher profile player when you can get this guy later" only it turns into "don't draft a good player when you can get a dude you'll probably cut instead." I believe in throwing darts at TE; there are just certain scenarios that I find misleading and think will disappoint if relied on.

As for my opinion on TEs this year, I'm willing to be aggressive about drafting the top guys, which I view are Gronk and Reed. Gronk is an easy mid-1st round pick this year and I am willing to move on Reed as early as the third round. I know that's aggressive on Reed and is subject to change as the RB rankings become more definitive and impact drafts more but I did that in the goon slow draft and didn't regret it. I think there'll be a huge drop off after those two and the competitive advantage will matter in matchups. I'm still throwing darts at TEs real late as insurance/potential trade bait but I'll be targeting those two everywhere this year.

The Olsen/Barnidge/Kelce/Eifert/Walker tier from last year is subject to whoever drops the farthest in the drafts. These are the guys you don't want to take too early but I think they can return good value if you're grabbing one in the 6th or later. I'm scared off by Eifert's injury so he's off my board and I think Olsen/Walker will see a dip in their numbers so I'm shying away from them but still worth taking if you're getting a bargain in the draft. I do believe Barnidge can keep up his performance from last year and that sort of reliability probably makes him my target in the middle rounds if I miss on Gronk/Reed. Kelce's ceiling is hurt badly by Alex Smith and seems the most likely to disappoint even if healthy all year.

Coby Fleener and Ladarius Green are probably worth including in that tier as well. I like their new roles and could easily see one of them winding up in the Top 5. They'll probably both be rotoworld faves like Eifert was last year though. Doubt I'd pull the trigger before the 8th but they'd be on my mind. I'm not a believer in Julius Thomas or Zach Ertz; think they'll disappoint even if taken in double digit rounds. I'd wait for them to get picked, then target one or more of Dwayne Allen/Martellus Bennett/Zach Miller/Charles Clay. Love them as TE fliers with TE1 upside. I'm probably avoiding other guys like Eric Ebron/ASJ/Jason Witten/Will Tye. I can see the arguments for Ebron/Tye but I'm disinclined to believe in their upside. Antonio Gates is old reliable and worth taking if he drops too far but age is catching up to him and I like to look at younger players. I also believe Jordan Cameron is still worth keeping in mind as a sleeper depending on what we hear out of OTAs and camp. I like Adam Gase as a coach and think he can work his TE into his weekly game plans again.

This is way too much about tight ends in May but I'm really bored and it's my day off.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

Tiptoes posted:

Coby Fleener and Ladarius Green

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WEtxJ4-sh4

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Tiptoes posted:

I'd wait for them to get picked, then target one or more of Dwayne Allen/Martellus Bennett/Zach Miller/Charles Clay. Love them as TE fliers with TE1 upside. I'm probably avoiding other guys like Eric Ebron/ASJ/Jason Witten/Will Tye.

You're legit crazy to have Clay and especially Bennett over that whole tier that you're avoiding. I guess maybe Witten if you're convinced he's going to turn to dust this season, but I have no idea how you can look at Clay and the Pats' TE2 and like them as higher upside fliers than the others.

Edit: Ebron outscored Clay last year with Megatron playing. Witten seems incredibly safe for 70-700-4 (ie blowing Clay and every team's TE2 out of the water). ASJ we can disagree on :) Tye put up 34-400-3 in 8 games as starter (that is, not a whole lot worse than Clay in 13 games). Your rankings of a few guys just confuse me so much, haha. Allen and Miller I'm fine with, good dart throws imo.

sourdough fucked around with this message at 04:50 on May 31, 2016

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

I'm literally just as willing to bet that Ebron or ASJ will be a top-7 TE as I am willing to bet on Reed/Eifert/Kelce/Barnidge/Walker. Especially the first two since we're already willing to just assume their one healthy productive season isn't the outlier which is funny since Eifert is already hurt

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

You are my underwater, underwater friends!

RVProfootballer posted:

You're legit crazy to have Clay and especially Bennett over that whole tier that you're avoiding. I guess maybe Witten if you're convinced he's going to turn to dust this season, but I have no idea how you can look at Clay and the Pats' TE2 and like them as higher upside fliers than the others.

Edit: Ebron outscored Clay last year with Megatron playing. Witten seems incredibly safe for 70-700-4 (ie blowing Clay and every team's TE2 out of the water). ASJ we can disagree on :) Tye put up 34-400-3 in 8 games as starter (that is, not a whole lot worse than Clay in 13 games). Your rankings of a few guys just confuse me so much, haha. Allen and Miller I'm fine with, good dart throws imo.
Maybe "avoiding" was the wrong word. I just don't view them as any better than streaming options so why leave a draft with one of them is my line of thinking. I don't see a reason to roster Witten with him as old as he is and as run-heavy as the Cowboys want to be this season. And Ebron... Ebron is a dude who needs to get much better at football before I'll seriously see him as a sleeper. He is not a player who consistently executes on his assignments and I'm not sure at this point if that's going to change this year and cause his role to grow. If I hear news otherwise, I'll re-consider him but he needs work as a player, not just a target void in the passing game.

Re: Clay
I just think he's an underrated player. He's a well-rounded TE. Dealt with injuries last year but he's still a good passcatcher. And entering 2016, the Bills still don't have many targets in the passing game. Watkins is recovering from foot surgery and Robert Woods isn't one of the better #2s in the league. Rex and his staff wanted Clay on this team so I think they could view him as an underutilized asset going into this second year and he could become a bigger factor in the passing game. Not one of my favorite late round targets, but I do think he could surprise this year.

Re: Bennett
As a Pats fan looking at their offense, I could easily see Bennett carving out a sizeable role. Gronk is the obvious top dog but Edelman/Amendola are both recovering from surgeries this offseason. Their WR corps is basically just them plus Chris Hogan rotating around while a rookie, Malcolm Mitchell, breaks in as the X receiver. Basically I think Dion Lewis and Bennett will be the next options where Brady gets creative in terms of creating one-on-one mismatches anywhere he wants. And Bennett is the healthiest of the group outside of Gronk right now. Back in 2011 when the Pats had Gronk and Hernandez, they ended the year as TE1 and TE3 (in 14 games) and ran two TE sets I think it was 55% of the time. The Pats are still going to run two TE sets probably something like 45% of the time this year so I think there's plenty of room for Bennett to get his numbers. Doesn't have to be TE3 but TE6-8 wouldn't surprise me. And then if Edelman gets hurt, his role in the middle of the field ought to increase. If Gronk gets hurt, his value skyrockets to every week top three play.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Ebron is going to have that one 50-500-10 season that makes people still draft Kyle Rudolph

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Tiptoes posted:

Maybe "avoiding" was the wrong word. I just don't view them as any better than streaming options so why leave a draft with one of them is my line of thinking. I don't see a reason to roster Witten with him as old as he is and as run-heavy as the Cowboys want to be this season. And Ebron... Ebron is a dude who needs to get much better at football before I'll seriously see him as a sleeper. He is not a player who consistently executes on his assignments and I'm not sure at this point if that's going to change this year and cause his role to grow. If I hear news otherwise, I'll re-consider him but he needs work as a player, not just a target void in the passing game.

I just think he's an underrated player. He's a well-rounded TE. Dealt with injuries last year but he's still a good passcatcher. And entering 2016, the Bills still don't have many targets in the passing game. Watkins is recovering from foot surgery and Robert Woods isn't one of the better #2s in the league. Rex and his staff wanted Clay on this team so I think they could view him as an underutilized asset going into this second year and he could become a bigger factor in the passing game. Not one of my favorite late round targets, but I do think he could surprise this year.

As a Pats fan looking at their offense, I could easily see Bennett carving out a sizeable role. Gronk is the obvious top dog but Edelman/Amendola are both recovering from surgeries this offseason. Their WR corps is basically just them plus Chris Hogan rotating around while a rookie, Malcolm Mitchell, breaks in as the X receiver. Basically I think Dion Lewis and Bennett will be the next options where Brady gets creative in terms of creating one-on-one mismatches anywhere he wants. And Bennett is the healthiest of the group outside of Gronk right now. Back in 2011 when the Pats had Gronk and Hernandez, they ended the year as TE1 and TE3 (in 14 games) and ran two TE sets I think it was 55% of the time. The Pats are still going to run two TE sets probably something like 45% of the time this year so I think there's plenty of room for Bennett to get his numbers. Doesn't have to be TE3 but TE6-8 wouldn't surprise me. And then if Edelman gets hurt, his role in the middle of the field ought to increase. If Gronk gets hurt, his value skyrockets to every week top three play.

How many teams in your league? Because at 12-teams, streaming TE's does not seem to be a viable option at all. The quality of TE that you are getting off of the waiver wire is so unpredictable that I don't see why taking a guy in the 12th is so egregious when he has a legit chance to be a weekly starter at a fungible position. Unless you are playing in a really competitive league, there are at least 2-3 owners (likely more) who will roster or even draft multiple Tight Ends for whatever reason, making the field of players even smaller.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Tiptoes posted:

Maybe "avoiding" was the wrong word. I just don't view them as any better than streaming options so why leave a draft with one of them is my line of thinking. I don't see a reason to roster Witten with him as old as he is and as run-heavy as the Cowboys want to be this season.

More or less run heavy than 2014? Still put up 64-703-5 that year.

Tiptoes posted:

And Ebron... Ebron is a dude who needs to get much better at football before I'll seriously see him as a sleeper. He is not a player who consistently executes on his assignments and I'm not sure at this point if that's going to change this year and cause his role to grow. If I hear news otherwise, I'll re-consider him but he needs work as a player, not just a target void in the passing game.

I mean, he's a third year player at a position that traditionally develops slowly. I don't think he's going to be getting worse, and his looks are only going to increase, so his production will too even if he doesn't improve as a player. Fair enough if you're happy to consider him a bust, but seems premature.

Tiptoes posted:

I see his ceiling as close to Witten's likely line of 70-700-5. Bills aren't going to throw the ball much, and if they do, Watkins will happily soak up all the targets. Clay is a fine low floor low ceiling TE2 imo, but I see him completely as "not better than streaming so why draft him" tier. Lower ceiling than Ebron, lower floor than Witten.

Tiptoes posted:

I wrote a bunch of words here at first, but I don't think they were all necessary, so I'll just go with a Dandy Kaiser inspired point. It is hard enough to get consistent TE1 numbers from guys that are the only pass catching tight end on their team, and the 2nd or 3rd or 4th option in the passing game. Bennett is a great handcuff to Gronk or even Edelman, but I still think you're crazy to expect TE6-8 from Bennett with a healthy Gronk and Edelman, and a completely intact offense from last year that completely failed to make another pass catching TE2 at all fantasy relevant (assuming Hogan and LaFell are interchangeable). Even if Gronk goes down, you'd just as likely not get those numbers from Bennett.

In conclusion, have more gushing about Scott Chandler and 2 TE sets from early last year:

quote:

The two-tight end offense is back, and it’s as hard to defend as ever.

That’s the biggest takeaway upon closer review of the New England Patriots’ 28-21 victory over the Pittsburgh Steelers.

If this game was any indication, tight ends Rob Gronkowski and Scott Chandler will be a huge part of the Patriots’ offensive game plan all season long. Gronkowski and Chandler combined for six receptions, 95 yards and four touchdowns. Chandler contributed just one one-yard touchdown catch to that stat line, so most of the work was done by Gronkowski.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
FYI anyone up for spending money on Fantasy, Rotopass is cool and good. They have a code (EARLY) for 10% off.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

FYI anyone up for spending money on Fantasy, Rotopass is cool and good. They have a code (EARLY) for 10% off.

This is a true post.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Today in "hey remember that guy?" news, former The Next Aaron Hernandez Except Without the Murder Tim Wright tore his ACL

This has been your daily "hey remember that guy?" update

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Benne posted:

Today in "hey remember that guy?" news, former The Next Aaron Hernandez Except Without the Murder Tim Wright tore his ACL

This has been your daily "hey remember that guy?" update

And so It Begins.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

I just want to pop in and say if you aren't closely listening to what Spoeank says about fantasy football, you are doing it wrong. Everything else in life.... :shrug:

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
:angel:

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004
How does one even pronounce "Spoeank"?

Spoink?

Spank?

Spaynk?

Inquiring minds must know.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
So, Beer, have you ever considered trying out something like UNU to generate your beersheets?

http://unanimous.ai/

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Azhais posted:

So, Beer, have you ever considered trying out something like UNU to generate your beersheets?

http://unanimous.ai/

What the hell is that?

EDIT: Huh. Kind of cool. So it's a wisdom of the crowds kind of thing. It's actually very similar to how BeerSheets work.

Beer4TheBeerGod fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jun 2, 2016

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

I always said Spo-yeank

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

It's some seventh grade poo poo where a friend and I saw the letters in one of those busy work word searches to teach you about science somehow. It looked like a real word so we went with it. It's not a real word in any sense so it's really however your heart desires.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

So what you're saying is that I'm right

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004
There are a few words that contain "oea" but they are all snooty British variants on English words. I present to you:

Diarrhoea
Mesogloea
Apnoea

Being that these are pronounced "ee-ya", I maintain and posit that Spoeank is correctly pronounced as "speeyank" and therefore we are all wrong and everyone is dumber for having read this rambling, incoherent response.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Spoeank posted:

It's some seventh grade poo poo where a friend and I saw the letters in one of those busy work word searches to teach you about science somehow. It looked like a real word so we went with it. It's not a real word in any sense so it's really however your heart desires.

I pronounce it "Bob".

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Anywho, I'm about to write an article that's basically FF for newbies (the site I write for is primarily a lifestyle site). I'm thinking:

- K/DST late
- stream QBs or get 2 of the QB 10 - 15 range (QBs would be how I would explain VBD)
- handcuffs
- importance of RBs
- what is PPR?

Anything else I might be overlooking? I'm pretty much the fantasy football guy so I have no one to bounce anything off of there that's of any value.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Spoeank posted:

Anywho, I'm about to write an article that's basically FF for newbies (the site I write for is primarily a lifestyle site). I'm thinking:

- K/DST late
- stream QBs or get 2 of the QB 10 - 15 range (QBs would be how I would explain VBD)
- handcuffs
- importance of RBs
- what is PPR?

Anything else I might be overlooking? I'm pretty much the fantasy football guy so I have no one to bounce anything off of there that's of any value.

Check this out: https://www.reddit.com/r/fantasyfootball/comments/4h6n0i/draft_strategies_tips_2016_edition/

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

A big 72 pt font link to the TE article

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
- Why you should draft Ezekiel Elliott at 1.01

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004
- Prepare to lose some friends

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah
Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah

Spoeank posted:

- K/DST late
- handcuffs
- importance of RBs
- what is PPR?

- don't start Thursday dudes in your flex
- know injury designations
- draft your starters before your bench.
- after drafting your starters, err on upside
- use aggregates (projections or rankings)

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Suave Fedora posted:

- Prepare to lose some friends

- Don't talk to your friends about your fantasy league

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Forever_Peace posted:

- draft your starters before your bench.

QBs, TEs, K, D/ST not applicable

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Or go my route and draft the bench first eventually segueing into only starting guys I pulled off waivers by about week 5

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Basic waiver wire primer, keep at least one bench spot churnable all season long

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Spoeank posted:

- K/DST late
- handcuffs
- importance of RBs
- what is PPR?

Probably would want a section on the different waiver wire systems and how they work. A couple do's and don'ts for trading with other owners would be helpful as well such as:

-Generally don't want to do a straight up trade at the same position (RB for RB, WR for WR)
-Packaging a starter + bench player for an upgrade at the starter position

Tagging onto the last point, I would also point out the importance of depth at the RB/WR position. Injuries will happen and depth is your insurance policy.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

MrSargent posted:

-Generally don't want to do a straight up trade at the same position (RB for RB, WR for WR)

Unless you're getting the better player...

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
- Mock draft on the site you're drafting on. Especially if you're doing an auction.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

RVProfootballer posted:

Unless you're getting the better player...

I mean...yes, if someone is willing to give up the better RB in exchange for your RB, do it. But I feel like this never happens and for the most part, no one is interested in even looking at a trade that is a 1:1 same-position trade. In terms of suggestions for a new person looking at making trades, I would recommend packaging players to upgrade a position or preying on an opposing owner's weak spots and lowballing them.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Draft Gostkowski in the 8th.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Updated BeerSheets and did one for 0 PPR. Also shows off the draft predictor.

https://www.reddit.com/r/fantasyfootball/comments/4mb3dy/beersheets_early_june_0ppr_edition/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Thanks guys. You gave me enough material for like three articles!

• Locked thread