Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Yeah I don't get why you don't just drive the miata full time if snow isn't an issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Supposing the "never seen rain" status on your numbers matching Miata is not negotiable it would almost certainly be cheaper to just rent a car for whatever "winter" driving you need to do, taking into account insurance and what not.

Sell both the Miata and Golf and buy a WRX though.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

powderific posted:

Why you don't just use the miata? Seems dumb to have two cars if you barely need one.

This is actually a possible solution that I'm considering. It is silly to own two cars for when I barely need one.

I'm not ultra precious about this Miata. The reasoning for considering keeping the Golf and owning a winter car is that even in my Golf I often have terrible visibility in our dark rainy winter. In the Miata with the top up it would be even worse, and it would likely result in me being reluctant to drive anywhere at all. I've driven this Miata through a sudden rainstorm and it was a terrible experience that I'm not eager to repeat.

I posted because I am curious to know what sort of cars people would recommend for people in my situation in general, because I'm not super knowledgeable about cars. I probably shouldn't have mentioned the Miata I guess.

Femtosecond fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jun 1, 2016

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Grab a set of tires and drive the Golf until it dies or becomes so rank you can't stand to sit in it. If it has a sunroof it is 100% the sunroof, a known water ingress point on the Mk4. Check the drain points. http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?1909676

sorry for linking The Vortex but hey, that's a pretty decent thread.

After that, not sure. Cheapest Yaris/Echo you can find?

Good link. I'll check that out. I don't have a sunroof, but I did notice recently that there seems to be a unevenness of the roof stripping where it meets the top of the doors. This is my leading suspect at the moment but I haven't tested it out or anything.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
miata with snow tires problem solved

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I've driven a miata in 8" of snow during a blizzard and, while the top up, blind spot visibility isn't great, the idea of not driving it because it's raining (even really hard rain) seems kinda nuts. Are your windshield wipers broken? You could also buy a hard top for it and get a bit better rear visibility if that's the issue.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
Really looking at a 2016 Subaru BRZ or 2016 Scion FR-S. I might go for a lower-end 2016 Dodge Challenger if I come across a good deal closer to my purchase date. Are both of those options valid choices for a first car? I'm hoping to have 'em last me quite a bit too. Would you guys recommend something else? Which one is the better choice between both? Located in QC, CAN so hopefully I can bring them out during the winter.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Femtosecond posted:

This is actually a possible solution that I'm considering. It is silly to own two cars for when I barely need one.

I'm not ultra precious about this Miata. The reasoning for considering keeping the Golf and owning a winter car is that even in my Golf I often have terrible visibility in our dark rainy winter. In the Miata with the top up it would be even worse, and it would likely result in me being reluctant to drive anywhere at all. I've driven this Miata through a sudden rainstorm and it was a terrible experience that I'm not eager to repeat.

I posted because I am curious to know what sort of cars people would recommend for people in my situation in general, because I'm not super knowledgeable about cars. I probably shouldn't have mentioned the Miata I guess.

No, knowing that you have major issues with visibility is definitely pertinent information. But I'm kind of at a loss as to what to say if a bit of rain would terrify you into not driving. Perhaps you should get more practice. Get a hard top for the Miata as was suggested. That'd be a lot cheaper than owning an extra car for "winter."

I AM BRAWW posted:

Really looking at a 2016 Subaru BRZ or 2016 Scion FR-S. I might go for a lower-end 2016 Dodge Challenger if I come across a good deal closer to my purchase date. Are both of those options valid choices for a first car? I'm hoping to have 'em last me quite a bit too. Would you guys recommend something else? Which one is the better choice between both? Located in QC, CAN so hopefully I can bring them out during the winter.

That's real hard to answer without knowing what you mean by last quite a bit and what the context is of it being your first car, ie price range. It's crystal clear what you want, but not whether it fits your situation. Fill out the template from the OP.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Adjusting your side mirrors correctly makes a huge difference in visibility. Like 95% of people have their side mirrors adjusted such that they are almost entirely useless. Hint: if you can see the side of your own car in the mirror then it's adjusted way too far inward.

I drove a Miata for over 4 years as an only car, and yeah the top being up obscures your shoulder-check visibility a bit but with properly adjusted mirrors it really isn't a big deal at all. And the weather down here in Seattle is basically the same as Vancouver. Rain and darkness shouldn't scare you off from driving. That little car was great through rain and even a few bouts of snow (with non-summer tires and an LSD).

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

I AM BRAWW posted:

Used E89 Z4 is better in so many ways.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

IRQ posted:

No, knowing that you have major issues with visibility is definitely pertinent information. But I'm kind of at a loss as to what to say if a bit of rain would terrify you into not driving. Perhaps you should get more practice. Get a hard top for the Miata as was suggested. That'd be a lot cheaper than owning an extra car for "winter."

Yep a hard top could be a good idea because the plastic window is pretty terrible, and mine is in better condition than most I see.

I'm not going to argue with people that are trying to downplay my concerns about Vancouver and rain ("bit of rain" lmao). I have over a decade of experience of driving in this city and I'm comfortable with my position. I'll elaborate a bit though for people who may not be familiar with the city. It rains heavily (ie. nearly every day in November), by the end of November the sun is going down at around 4:15pm, it doesn't have as good of road infrastructure as American cities (ie. reflectors on the road lines are rare), and it has the highest amount of pedestrian deaths in Canada, with these deaths frequently being related to poor weather. I've been stuck in downpours that were severe enough that the flow of traffic was 20+ km/h below the speed limit because no one could see poo poo.

From my experience I recognize that the ability of drivers and their cars is compromised in the extremely rainy conditions that are common where I live. Importantly it's not just my own abilities that are compromised, but those of the other drivers on the road. All of this doesn't scare me off from driving, but it makes me consider what are the safest choices that I can make. To me it certainly has felt a lot safer driving in my Golf in a rainstorm than it has in my Miata. If the cost is low enough (with the free Golf it certainly has been) I think it'd be worth it to me to have a different car for this season.

Femtosecond fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jun 2, 2016

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

IRQ posted:

That's real hard to answer without knowing what you mean by last quite a bit and what the context is of it being your first car, ie price range. It's crystal clear what you want, but not whether it fits your situation. Fill out the template from the OP.

Sure, sorry.

Proposed Budget -- ~40k is probably the most, so 30k-40k is my prefered ballpark.

New or Used -- I mean I'd rather get new so it'll last longer, but I'm not that close-minded on a used car if I can find it with low km's.

Body Style -- 2 door coupes!! Sporty OR maybe classic american muscle. Car that looks expensive y'know. Flex.

How will you be using the car? -- It's my first car so I'll be using the gently caress out of it and driving around a lot I guess. Main car, used in small town mostly but highways and big city are secondary. I'm not going to be driving people around and poo poo so the 2-door coupe fits my lifestyle

Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos? -- Eh, I mean VERY basic quality-of-life poo poo so like.. AC... I'm also willing to spend extra on a dealer-installed Good sound system for example. Extra poo poo like 60$ ashtray or uhh 1050$ for stupid extras like bigger touch screen or w/e can suck my dick

What aspects are most important to you? -- Looks good!! Handles well, will not require a lot of maintenance and won't break down a lot. Reliable, hoping to have it for quite a bit (especially more-so if I buy brand new 2016 model, since i'm going to be signing my life away financing)

Living outside of US? -- Montreal, QC.

As stated previously, Subaru BRZ OR Scion FR-S have been the two choices I've been eyeballing, but if I had a bit more secure income I'd fuckin go get a Dodge Challenger right now, but hey if anyone has any better recommendations feel free to share as I'll take any insight - I'm fuckin bad when it comes to Cars and don't know much.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

H110Hawk posted:

For real I didn't even know this car existed and drat it looks good too.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
The brz/frs and the challenger are like apples and oranges. Do you want a small, good handling coupe or so you want a large coupe with lots of power (assuming a v8 because v6 challengers are pointless).

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

nm posted:

The brz/frs and the challenger are like apples and oranges. Do you want a small, good handling coupe or so you want a large coupe with lots of power (assuming a v8 because v6 challengers are pointless).

The former most likely

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Mustang GT will still give you money left over for bullshit like ambient lighting and 9 gazillion speaker audio system. And that V8. :getin:

The drawbacks are that there's a zillion of them on the road and you will not be able to resist running over pedestrians.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

I AM BRAWW posted:

For real I didn't even know this car existed and drat it looks good too.

They are fun as hell, and best of all a 4 year used one is right in your budget. They're super practical, but they weigh a lot. Screw premium sound in a convertible. You can't hear it anyways with the top down.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

You could also look at an E82 or an F22 if you don't care about the top part folding back and you like the roundel.

Extremely Penetrated
Aug 8, 2004
Hail Spwwttag.

I AM BRAWW posted:

What aspects are most important to you? -- Looks good!! Handles well, will not require a lot of maintenance and won't break down a lot. Reliable,

H110Hawk posted:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

You could also look at an E82 or an F22 if you don't care about the top part folding back and you like the roundel.

Why are out-of-warranty BMWs being recommended as the cost-effective, reliable option. For their first car. In Quebec (rust belt++). Don't get me wrong, those are good cars that meet his other criteria, but this is the BFC thread.

BRAWW, since you mentioned the stability of your income being a concern, I think you should cut your $40k budget in half. I'm going to stereotype and assume you're young, male, and just got your first 'real' job that's paying something decent. Time to reward yourself with a sweet ride and show people that you've made it. Except that most people who see you driving it will assume it came from Daddy's money and that you're just a rich kid.

If I'm completely off-base here, sorry, go nuts. Budget $3-4k per year for maintenance if it's over 5 years old.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

Shuntly posted:

Why are out-of-warranty BMWs being recommended as the cost-effective, reliable option. For their first car. In Quebec (rust belt++). Don't get me wrong, those are good cars that meet his other criteria, but this is the BFC thread.

BRAWW, since you mentioned the stability of your income being a concern, I think you should cut your $40k budget in half. I'm going to stereotype and assume you're young, male, and just got your first 'real' job that's paying something decent. Time to reward yourself with a sweet ride and show people that you've made it. Except that most people who see you driving it will assume it came from Daddy's money and that you're just a rich kid.

If I'm completely off-base here, sorry, go nuts. Budget $3-4k per year for maintenance if it's over 5 years old.

Yeah maintenance has been the big reason I've been considering brand new much more. By "secure income" I meant if I had a better job and made more money, I worded that poorly - my income/budget is fine (again mind you that ~40k budget is CAD :v:) as I'd most likely go for a loan or finance monthly. You're right on with the rest thought, just switch "first real job" with "getting my license".

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Shuntly posted:

I'm going to stereotype and assume you're young, male, and just got your first 'real' job that's paying something decent. Time to reward yourself with a sweet ride and show people that you've made it.

I read that too but the boy has a $40k budget who am I to argue.

I AM BRAWW posted:

Yeah maintenance has been the big reason I've been considering brand new much more. By "secure income" I meant if I had a better job and made more money, I worded that poorly - my income/budget is fine (again mind you that ~40k budget is CAD :v:) as I'd most likely go for a loan or finance monthly. You're right on with the rest thought, just switch "first real job" with "getting my license".

If you aren't going to be a real man and finance an out of warranty BMW with $3,000/year in maintenance not to mention hilarious first time driver insurance rates you should be seriously be buying a used compact 4 door car a-la a civic or a prius. Your budget should be $10-15,000. A BR-Z over an FR-S at least. Also go over to the personal finance threads and read up on saving for retirement.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

H110Hawk posted:

I read that too but the boy has a $40k budget who am I to argue.

If you aren't going to be a real man and finance an out of warranty BMW with $3,000/year in maintenance not to mention hilarious first time driver insurance rates you should be seriously be buying a used compact 4 door car a-la a civic or a prius. Your budget should be $10-15,000. A BR-Z over an FR-S at least. Also go over to the personal finance threads and read up on saving for retirement.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have a BMW. But I think that option will be a little later on when I actually know what the gently caress I'll be doing regarding maintenance on cars and such. Thank you for the BRZ > FR-S! The personal finance thread would probably cause me to have an existential crisis, thought.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Just go drive one and see if you like it or not.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

H110Hawk posted:

A BR-Z over an FR-S at least.
They're the same car. The brz got a few more options (and wrb) and very alighly different shocks, but I wouldn't lose sleep over the differences. Unless scion does that no haggle bullshit in Canada as well.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

nm posted:

They're the same car. The brz got a few more options (and wrb) and very alighly different shocks, but I wouldn't lose sleep over the differences. Unless scion does that no haggle bullshit in Canada as well.

This seems really good from Scion's part thought.

84/200,000 Platinum $3,709.00

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

i assume that is for repair type work only not wear items other than the oil changes

edit: if you are living at home to afford a new $40k CAD car then uh stop doing that immediately

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

I AM BRAWW posted:

This seems really good from Scion's part thought.

84/200,000 Platinum $3,709.00
Same from AAA cost me $109/year in the US. Up to 100 mile free tow, and about 5 calls to unlock doors and bring you some gas when you run out.

Also, please go test drive the 86 back to back with Mustang and Miata. Those are all in the your price segment and fit the description. Your opinion may change, and we can use your experience to fine tune the suggestions. Don't finance a used out of warranty BMW unless you enjoy setting money on fire.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

So wait... living at home and its his first car purchase? Jeeeeesus h christ. Dude buy a used a Honda Civic.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

fyodor posted:

So wait... living at home and its his first car purchase? Jeeeeesus h christ. Dude buy a used a Honda Civic.

Oh, I was asking, not saying that was the case - just suspicious that a young gentleman who seems sort of ignorant about cars with an unstable income situation wanting to buy a flashy sports car in Quebec would be living at home.

If not, carry on dude who wants to buy a toyobaru

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
i'm getting my rear end handed to me in the car buying thread

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

I AM BRAWW posted:

Sure, sorry.

Proposed Budget -- ~40k is probably the most, so 30k-40k is my prefered ballpark.

New or Used -- I mean I'd rather get new so it'll last longer, but I'm not that close-minded on a used car if I can find it with low km's.

Body Style -- 2 door coupes!! Sporty OR maybe classic american muscle. Car that looks expensive y'know. Flex.

How will you be using the car? -- It's my first car so I'll be using the gently caress out of it and driving around a lot I guess. Main car, used in small town mostly but highways and big city are secondary. I'm not going to be driving people around and poo poo so the 2-door coupe fits my lifestyle

Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos? -- Eh, I mean VERY basic quality-of-life poo poo so like.. AC... I'm also willing to spend extra on a dealer-installed Good sound system for example. Extra poo poo like 60$ ashtray or uhh 1050$ for stupid extras like bigger touch screen or w/e can suck my dick

What aspects are most important to you? -- Looks good!! Handles well, will not require a lot of maintenance and won't break down a lot. Reliable, hoping to have it for quite a bit (especially more-so if I buy brand new 2016 model, since i'm going to be signing my life away financing)

Living outside of US? -- Montreal, QC.

As stated previously, Subaru BRZ OR Scion FR-S have been the two choices I've been eyeballing, but if I had a bit more secure income I'd fuckin go get a Dodge Challenger right now, but hey if anyone has any better recommendations feel free to share as I'll take any insight - I'm fuckin bad when it comes to Cars and don't know much.

OK, first of all, what's your benchmark for "handles well" and why do you want a sports car in particular?

If this is your first car after you get your license, you're probably going to do some stupid poo poo with it, either because you're a new driver who makes a mistake, or because you test the limits and go a bit too far (which, let's face it, you're probably going to do, because you're young, just got your license, and SPORTS CAR!). It probably won't seriously hurt you, but the fact that you can take things farther in a Toyobaru before it all goes to poo poo means you're more likely to end up with both your financing and your car upside down.

Basically - be very careful buying a first car that you can't afford to lose. Doubly so if it's fast, or if it's new.

Since you're new to car ownership, you should also take a close look at your total budget, and remember that you're going to have a lot more than a car payment and gas. A young, just-licensed driver in a Toyobaru or Challenger is going to get eaten alive by insurance companies. Tires will cost more and need more frequent replacement (especially if you're taking advantage of that good handling). And, as a general rule, fast cars break more often than average and are much needier on maintenance.

In your situation, it really seems like you'd be better off with something like a moderately used Civic coupe in manual. It's not totally boring to drive, but it'll be cheaper to buy, cheaper to own, and a little more forgiving of newbie driver mistakes.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Well I'm not going to make any assumptions about your driving skills or financial accumen but I personally wouldn't bother with an extended warranty on a Toyota.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Space Gopher posted:

In your situation, it really seems like you'd be better off with something like a moderately used Civic coupe in manual. It's not totally boring to drive, but it'll be cheaper to buy, cheaper to own, and a little more forgiving of newbie driver mistakes.

I would say something like a New Edge or early 4.0l SN197 Mustang, so that when it's wrecked nothing of actual value has been lost from this world.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
What is wrong with the Scion IA? It looks like a good subcompact with all the toys for a good price new.

I'm to the point where I need a new car and am playing with the idea of a subcompact <=20, but if I could find a Civic Coupe Ex I'd snap it up. This would be mainly highway commuting with occasional road trips across Michigan or a couple states.

squidtarts
May 26, 2005

I think women are intimidated by me because I have mean cartoon eyebrows.
Proposed Budget: $10,000ish at the top. will be trading in my old car and putting down about $5,000. fine with a payment under $100/mo for three years.
New or Used: used, via the USAA car buying service most likely (so discounts and low interest rates)
Body Style: I like hatchbacks and small SUVs. I prefer something smaller than my current boat of a sedan.
How will you be using the car?: Primarily driving to and from work four times a week. 15 miles and can easily take an hour when I'm doing an evening shift (DC metro area driving yaaaay). A couple of times a week I have the dog in the car, so it needs to fit an 80lb akita. Otherwise there's an occasional trip of 200 miles or so every few months.
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos? As long as it has cruise control and AV in I'm fine.
What aspects are most important to you? Decently smooth ride, hoopefully 25+ MPG city.

I'm currently driving a 2004 Taurus that gets 16 mpg because I do primarily city driving and I grew up with a dad who did illegal street racing and my favorite game is beating people when the light turns green. :downs: It's a habit I know I should quit but I really do love knowing that engine has a reliable kick. My current car only has 65,000 miles and I typically put fewer than 8,000 miles on annually. My main complaints are the gas mileage and the fact that it feels like an old lady car. The trunk is useless and my preference is for a hatchback with fold down seats instead.

Currently considering a 2011 Prius that has just over 100,000 miles and fits into my budget. Very attracted to the gas mileage since 90% of my driving is in the city, and I'm assuming that with the rear seats folded down it would accommodate my dog easily. I like the idea of a compact SUV like a CR-V but I don't think the gas mileage improvement is enough to justify the cost.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

^^^^^ prius prius Prius PRIUS PRIUS!!!! prius get the Prius

Beerdeer posted:

What is wrong with the Scion IA? It looks like a good subcompact with all the toys for a good price new.

I'm to the point where I need a new car and am playing with the idea of a subcompact <=20, but if I could find a Civic Coupe Ex I'd snap it up. This would be mainly highway commuting with occasional road trips across Michigan or a couple states.

It's fine. It's a Mazda2. Not sure I would buy it over say, a Mazda3i Touring for about 20k, or a Fiesta Titanium, or a Honda Fit EX/EX-L.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Beerdeer posted:

The scion iA kicks rear end and you should buy it, it's a Mazda 2 with a Scion badge on it. It has Mazda's infotainment system and a fine interior for an economy car.

squidtarts
May 26, 2005

I think women are intimidated by me because I have mean cartoon eyebrows.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

^^^^^ prius prius Prius PRIUS PRIUS!!!! prius get the Prius

Is there a big advantage over getting a 3rd gen instead of 2nd gen Prius? There's a 2007 model with fewer miles that's slightly cheaper. I'm not sure whether to prioritize age or mileage.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

squidtarts posted:

Is there a big advantage over getting a 3rd gen instead of 2nd gen Prius? There's a 2007 model with fewer miles that's slightly cheaper. I'm not sure whether to prioritize age or mileage.

Nope. the 2gen is actually bigger inside. 2007 probably won't have bluetooth, but you can get an aftermarket bluetooth module to plug into the stock cd, for about 100$ or however much you want to spend for an aftermarket head unit (and the plastic to go around it)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

squidtarts posted:

Prioritize mileage, service history and condition. They're almost identical other than the weird floating center console on the Gen3 and some feature availability that Slo-Tek mentions.