Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

carry on then posted:

Not seeing this, what happens if you refresh/restart?
Not seeing it anymore but refreshing didn't fix it when I did. Not sure about restarting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Found a weird bug with the emoticon keyboard where some of the emoticons are duplicated. I resolved it by reinstalling the app, but I thought you might like to know :shobon:

Edit: Well gently caress, it just went back to being duplicative

Regular Nintendo posted:

I went thru the emotes a while ago and faved a bunch and none of them showed up in the faves menu

Sorry about these. The smilie keyboard definitely needs some love. It's on the list™ but as anyone here can attest, that doesn't give much of a timeline.

Whoops! I'll take a look. I've had that happen to me once or twice, but I couldn't figure out exactly wtf was up until it magically cleared up.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I would help but I have no idea about extensions

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Does twitkit or whatever give you the size of the tweet views as they render? It might be worth looking into to see if you can kick the scrollview contentoffset y up as the tweets load... since tweet embedding showed up, the "tap on quote to go to post" feature has been unusable because prior posts load tweets and the post I navigated to gets scrolled off the page

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Regular Nintendo posted:

the "tap on quote to go to post" feature has been unusable because prior posts load tweets and the post I navigated to gets scrolled off the page

Tweet embedding makes it worse, but honestly this was pretty unreliable even before it was added.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

It'll probably never be good. No image tags on the Forums include a width or height, and tweets do like five stages of loading that each come with size fuckery.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

What threads are you reading that tweets are regularly posted enough for that to be an issue

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

drunken officeparty posted:

What threads are you reading that tweets are regularly posted enough for that to be an issue

Political threads, the secfuck thread, etc

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lol if you're not drinking deeply from the well of republican insanity

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

zen death robot posted:

yeah im not aware of any way to auto-generate that kinda info unless someone has some hot tips for a bad web developer to give me

I guess you could download any linked images to the server and get their dimensions then fill in the post. Seems like a lot of work though.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

zen death robot posted:

Disk space too

Well you don't have to actually store them

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

pokeyman posted:

It'll probably never be good. No image tags on the Forums include a width or height, and tweets do like five stages of loading that each come with size fuckery.

We could scroll again when everything is loaded I guess?

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
You could do it like how you show new replies: Hide the previous posts until you explicitly click to show them. That way the post you want to see is on top and all the poo poo above or below it won't change the position.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I like that better than the browser-imitating rescroll, I think.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

We could scroll again when everything is loaded I guess?

We kind of try to do that, but it's not obvious to me how to decide when to stop, so we back off real quick. And it's pretty common for there to be like one slow loving image that finishes a minute after everything else and bumps everything down when it seemed like we were done.

Drastic Actions posted:

You could do it like how you show new replies: Hide the previous posts until you explicitly click to show them. That way the post you want to see is on top and all the poo poo above or below it won't change the position.

That's a good idea, it would work for links that take you to another page.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

pokeyman posted:

We kind of try to do that, but it's not obvious to me how to decide when to stop, so we back off real quick. And it's pretty common for there to be like one slow loving image that finishes a minute after everything else and bumps everything down when it seemed like we were done.

Browsers do one adjustment when everything above the scroll-to point is loaded (really when it's sized), as long as the user hasn't scrolled in the interim. We might have a harder time tracking the requisite information.

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Hello thread,

Is there a way to find all my own posts within a thread without having to find where one of my posts are? I asked a question in a thread like a year ago and can't remember what the answer was and would like to find it quickly.

I'd like the "their posts" functionality but from anywhere in a thread

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Can I hide the messages tab at the bottom? I recently got plat and don't use PM's ever and I accidentally click it a whole lot.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

obstipator posted:

Hello thread,

Is there a way to find all my own posts within a thread without having to find where one of my posts are? I asked a question in a thread like a year ago and can't remember what the answer was and would like to find it quickly.

It doesn't exist on the real forums so...

Sometimes you just need a full browser to do the copy/paste.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah I'm seeing the same thing. Not sure when it started though because I normally just check my bookmarks.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

I feel like the "jump to quoted post" link never works, even if there aren't many images on the page. It always jumps to the top of the page.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Yeah that has to do with the Twitter stuff. I'm still trying to find time to rework it, hopefully this weekend.

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!
I went to a post of mine intending to quote it but I hit Edit instead. When I backed out and then went to Quote, the quote got tacked on to the original post as an edit, it didn't make a new post.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
If I tap on the blank space in a tweet it loads the tweet fullscreen. If I tap back from there it takes me out of the thread and back to bookmarks/forums listing.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, the Twitter JS takes over the whole WebView. It's designed to be in a web page where the browser would give you a back button, but that's not how we roll. Might be a way to tweak the generated iframe to prevent it, I'll poke tonight when the kid is asleep.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

obstipator posted:

Hello thread,

I'll add it to the list, we might be able to hack it in.

Can I hide the messages tab at the bottom? I recently got plat and don't use PM's ever and I accidentally click it a whole lot.

You cannot. I'm very tempted to give the rear end in a top hat answer of "learn not to click it". I can add it to he list though!

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

I went to a post of mine intending to quote it but I hit Edit instead. When I backed out and then went to Quote, the quote got tacked on to the original post as an edit, it didn't make a new post.

This is on the list and keeps coming up, so it keeps moving up the list too. Sorry about that. You have to back all the way out of the thread (try loading a different thread) to reset the edit. I know it's not great.

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah, the Twitter JS takes over the whole WebView. It's designed to be in a web page where the browser would give you a back button, but that's not how we roll. Might be a way to tweak the generated iframe to prevent it, I'll poke tonight when the kid is asleep.

YouTube embeds try to pull the same poo poo, we block that at the UIWebViewDelegate level. You might start there.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
My dream is to not make pull to load a new page activate the first time I hit the bottom of a page.
Sometimes I'm trying to back track to the end of a page and after everything loads I find I hit the bottom too hard and it loaded the next.

Alternatively, a way to emulate the tap the top that scrolls to the top of a page (this is an iOS thing I understand) but for the end of a page

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I've never had problems with accidentally going to the next page, but getting to the bottom of a page would be great. "Last Post" still doesn't take you to the last post. I'd love for there to be a way to jump to the next post.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Are you looking for something different than the Scroll to End button? I'm not sure I follow.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Scroll to end would be great, but I meant a function where you could skip a post one by one as there tend to be a few posts here and there that quote insanely long posts and scrolling through them is a bit of a pain. I don't know if a function like that is possible though.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Stare-Out posted:

Scroll to end would be great, but I meant a function where you could skip a post one by one as there tend to be a few posts here and there that quote insanely long posts and scrolling through them is a bit of a pain. I don't know if a function like that is possible though.

Scroll to end is already there. look near the top of every screen. I only mention it because your wording seems like you're not aware it's there.

I do like your idea for the other thing though too, but where would the button for that go?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

GutBomb posted:

Scroll to end is already there. look near the top of every screen. I only mention it because your wording seems like you're not aware it's there.

I do like your idea for the other thing though too, but where would the button for that go?

Oh man, I never noticed scroll to end. Good to know! As for the button for skipping single posts, I really can't say. Press down on a post and have a "Skip" option there? I don't have much of a clue how the programming side of the app works so I'm mostly guessing.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

GutBomb posted:

It's been discussed a few times before, and the main sticking point iirc is precisely that - how to make it discoverable but not clutter up the interface.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Soricidus posted:

It's been discussed a few times before, and the main sticking point iirc is precisely that - how to make it discoverable but not clutter up the interface.

We could add triple-tap or triple-scroll and just swing the NUX hammer to help people find it.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
How about a down arrow in the empty corner to the right of the username

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Where's my fuckin ~*~DeSiGn~*~ check

Why yes I was once an engineer at an ad agency why do you ask

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Regular Nintendo posted:

Where's my fuckin ~*~DeSiGn~*~ check

Why yes I was once an engineer at an ad agency why do you ask

I didn't

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Regular Nintendo posted:

How about a down arrow in the empty corner to the right of the username

This is probably the best option. The only thing is you don't always know if you want to flick past a post at the beginning of it.

You know how in the Music app in artist view each album sort of stickies to the top of the screen as you scroll down? Is that a loving nightmare to code? Cause I could imagine that working in this scenario. The username of the current post is up top with the ... Icon and a down arrow for skipping to next post on the right side.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

spanky the dolphin posted:

You know how in the Music app in artist view each album sort of stickies to the top of the screen as you scroll down? Is that a loving nightmare to code? Cause I could imagine that working in this scenario. The username of the current post is up top with the ... Icon and a down arrow for skipping to next post on the right side.

This would at the least be something that's interesting to test. I have no need for this button at all, I only care about being able to scroll to the end or the first unread post. Being able to always attach the user to the post in view could be a nice to have though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
perhaps really long posts should be collapsed and to read them you have to click an expandy link? maybe just test it out with posts that are close to galtse length and see how helpful it is or not

• Locked thread