Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I actually have the same complaint about DO4M but mostly because they don't stand out enough. In the original Doom they had glowing green toxic goo on the top and you saw them a million miles away. In this game they're just dull red propane tanks and they don't really stand out as "HEY SHOOT ME AND DON'T BE BY ME" doo-dads. I fully understand and agree with barrels being in a Doom game but they don't really stand out.

Until you get to Hell, in which case barrels are these brightly glowing orange things and they're completely unmistakable. It's a lot easier to capitalize on them in the Hell levels (which are really stupidly good levels and way better than the human levels anyway).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

StandardVC10 posted:

Borderlands 2: Barrels. There are too many loving barrels, all over every map. Like you stop even noticing the barrels, because they're everywhere, and then you happen to be standing near one and it kills you because you just wiped out all the other enemies in the area. Barrels.

I always wonder why people would collect exploding barrels in the first place.

Edit: I mean gas tanks and giant batteries I can understand. But an explosive barrel with a picture of an explosion on it? Really?

Aleph Null has a new favorite as of 01:46 on Jun 1, 2016

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Uh, where do you store your explosions?

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Aleph Null posted:

Edit: I mean gas tanks and giant batteries I can understand. But an explosive barrel with a picture of an explosion on it? Really?

Makes sense in a universe where Mr. Torgue exists.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

RyokoTK posted:

I actually have the same complaint about DO4M but mostly because they don't stand out enough. In the original Doom they had glowing green toxic goo on the top and you saw them a million miles away. In this game they're just dull red propane tanks and they don't really stand out as "HEY SHOOT ME AND DON'T BE BY ME" doo-dads. I fully understand and agree with barrels being in a Doom game but they don't really stand out.

Until you get to Hell, in which case barrels are these brightly glowing orange things and they're completely unmistakable. It's a lot easier to capitalize on them in the Hell levels (which are really stupidly good levels and way better than the human levels anyway).

Does DO4M spend a lot of time on Mars' surface? Maybe that's why you don't notice them, they're surrounded by all this bright red dirt.

Aleph Null posted:

It's just volatile stuff man. It's perfectly harmless if you don't agitate it by shooting it.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
DO4M has a lot of interior spaces where the barrels look like regular room clutter too. There's just red and brown all over the place.

The thing is that the game uses green as a highlighting tool really well (to mark ledges you can jump to, mostly) and important stuff as a rule generally has good visual pop.

e: Also barrels seem to have the physics of beach balls or something because enemies that walk into them send them flying all over the place so it's entirely possible to have a barrel bopped right into your face so you can blow yourself up.

RyokoTK has a new favorite as of 03:49 on Jun 1, 2016

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

Nuebot posted:

You too, huh? I wanted to like that game so bad since I loved the Zero and ZX games but it just. Doesn't. I don't understand most of it either and just ran through the game using only the basic weapon. None of the harder challenges are any fun either, like the first stage wants you to dash through a bunch of stupid timed doors perfectly and it's all just frustrating as hell instead of being fun and rad like the prior Zero and ZX games. Worst of all though is that none of Gunvolt was memorable. One thing that always stood out about the Zero/ZX games is that a lot of the bosses and characters were interesting whether it was their difficulty or design or whatever that made them stand out. Hell, I still remember the last boss of the first ZX game and he wasn't even anything special. But no one in ZX stood out, I can't remember a single character's name other than Gunvolt because he's in the title. It's just really disappointing on every level.

ZX is one of those games where I really thought it would be terrible but I played it anyways because I was craving megaman and somehow it ended up being absolutely amazing.

And the final area theme was dope and a remix of the game over theme which only adds to the levels of dopeness

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

One of DOOM's armor upgrades makes you immune to barrel explosions, for what it's worth.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

RyokoTK posted:

DO4M has a lot of interior spaces where the barrels look like regular room clutter too. There's just red and brown all over the place.

The thing is that the game uses green as a highlighting tool really well (to mark ledges you can jump to, mostly) and important stuff as a rule generally has good visual pop.

e: Also barrels seem to have the physics of beach balls or something because enemies that walk into them send them flying all over the place so it's entirely possible to have a barrel bopped right into your face so you can blow yourself up.

It might've been in here or in a stream's chat but I remember seeing that Doom Marine's armor is loving excellent because, on the bright red dusty wasteland of Mars, green is like the best color to be wearing if you want to be noticed. So maybe there was a bit of thought to his armor besides 'It's the Doomguy, he has to wear green.'

Or maybe it's just a happy coincidence.

Arrath posted:

One of DOOM's armor upgrades makes you immune to barrel explosions, for what it's worth.

The navigation upgrades makes finding Praetor and Health/Ammo/Shield upgrades easier too right?

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

RareAcumen posted:

It might've been in here or in a stream's chat but I remember seeing that Doom Marine's armor is loving excellent because, on the bright red dusty wasteland of Mars, green is like the best color to be wearing if you want to be noticed. So maybe there was a bit of thought to his armor besides 'It's the Doomguy, he has to wear green.'

Or maybe it's just a happy coincidence.

The navigation upgrades makes finding Praetor and Health/Ammo/Shield upgrades easier too right?

For me the thing dragging Doom down is just....boredom. I can appreciate them going back to the formula of "here's some guns, point the business end at the bad guys and pull the trigger. Repeat." but I mean, it's TYOOL 2016 - I just don't think that's enough any more. At least - it's not for me.

It also tweaks my motion sickness just enough that I can only play for about 45 minutes at a time, but so far that's been okay because of the first reason.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

HaB posted:

For me the thing dragging Doom down is just....boredom. I can appreciate them going back to the formula of "here's some guns, point the business end at the bad guys and pull the trigger. Repeat." but I mean, it's TYOOL 2016 - I just don't think that's enough any more. At least - it's not for me.
U want to romance and gently caress a cacodemon

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

HaB posted:

For me the game was pretty much the perfect length. The game strings along new enemies, new weapons and gear upgrades at a good pace. By the time you reach the last couple Hell levels, you're on the home stretch -- if you've found all the secrets, you're pretty much maxed out on everything. So the last level in particular is just a constant slew of arena fights and it gets pretty repetitive since they're all functionally the same. But then the game's over! I can see why other people get bored with the formula sooner, since it's not exactly creative, but I got pretty much what I wanted and paid for so it worked really well for me.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

I've been playing Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast after getting it in a bundle recently and the thing dragging it down is the Nar Shaddaa Streets level. This level occurs right after you get your lightsaber, so you will understandably want to run around and block blaster shots and cut guys in half. PUMP THE BRAKES KYLE. This level introduces a few lovely things for the would-be lightsaber enthusiast. One is the disruptor rifle, which I guess acts as the game's sniper rifle. It is a little weak unless you go for headshots, but it has a zoom, is really accurate, and has fast moving shots. They give this rifle to a bunch of guys and place them all over the map miles away from you so that you basically have to get into sniper duels with them. Great, I really wanted to use a gun after I just got a badass lightsaber. But the worst thing about these disruptor rifles is that even if you manage to get into melee range with a guy wielding one, their shots can't be blocked by lightsabers!

Whatever, OK, alright, the game doesn't want you to use your lightsaber against those guys. At least there are a couple of spots in the level with smaller enclosed areas and no guys with disruptor rifles so you can use your lightsaber there right? Well yeah, BUT GUESS WHAT those are filled with 3 to 4 guys that clusterfuck you and each other with thermal detonators! Seriously, I was enjoying the game well enough before now but this level has sucked the fun right out of it. There are like 5 times the normal amount of bacta canisters (health packs you can carry with you) in this level than others, so it's like they knew how lovely the level was and were like "eh, just give 'em some more health and let's go get lunch."

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

HDoom, gamer

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

If only you could talk to these creatures.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

owl_pellet posted:

I've been playing Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast after getting it in a bundle recently and the thing dragging it down is the Nar Shaddaa Streets level. This level occurs right after you get your lightsaber, so you will understandably want to run around and block blaster shots and cut guys in half. PUMP THE BRAKES KYLE. This level introduces a few lovely things for the would-be lightsaber enthusiast. One is the disruptor rifle, which I guess acts as the game's sniper rifle. It is a little weak unless you go for headshots, but it has a zoom, is really accurate, and has fast moving shots. They give this rifle to a bunch of guys and place them all over the map miles away from you so that you basically have to get into sniper duels with them. Great, I really wanted to use a gun after I just got a badass lightsaber. But the worst thing about these disruptor rifles is that even if you manage to get into melee range with a guy wielding one, their shots can't be blocked by lightsabers!

Whatever, OK, alright, the game doesn't want you to use your lightsaber against those guys. At least there are a couple of spots in the level with smaller enclosed areas and no guys with disruptor rifles so you can use your lightsaber there right? Well yeah, BUT GUESS WHAT those are filled with 3 to 4 guys that clusterfuck you and each other with thermal detonators! Seriously, I was enjoying the game well enough before now but this level has sucked the fun right out of it. There are like 5 times the normal amount of bacta canisters (health packs you can carry with you) in this level than others, so it's like they knew how lovely the level was and were like "eh, just give 'em some more health and let's go get lunch."

You actually charge the disruptor rifle by holding the LMB to make it do appreciable damage while zoomed in, and you can one-shot guys without making a headshot.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Even knowing that, that level just sucks in general. The game gets much, much better from there.

It's too bad the multiplayer is probably dead, since that was a great arena shooter/stabber game (until all the *honor* guys took it over).

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Dr Christmas posted:

You actually charge the disruptor rifle by holding the LMB to make it do appreciable damage while zoomed in, and you can one-shot guys without making a headshot.

Didn't maxed out force speed let you dodge the shots from the disruptor? Which is mostly pointless since you won't have it at that point in the game and there aren't many snipers after that level.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Maxed out force speed is essentially a button to win the current combat encounter.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

All of that is good to know, thanks all.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008
After force speed, the force push is the best power since all spreadshot, missles, and grenades can be flung away from you in addition to using it to throw people off of ledges and escape force chokes.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

This but unironically. Have you seen that single eye they have? That poo poo's sexy af.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

HaB posted:

This but unironically. Have you seen that single eye they have? That poo poo's sexy af.

I never noticed it while playing but if you look at them in the model viewer they have tiny dangling arms and legs.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

No mention of the terrible, terrible scope overlay for the JKII disruptor rifle? I played that poo poo on the xbox on a classic CRT TV and it was so blurry as to hardly be able to see poo poo, it loving sucked.

RareAcumen posted:

So I hear, I only played it a bit the other night when a friend brought it over. I noticed the barrel immunity upgrade is all.

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot
I love jedi outcast but that level is a big gently caress you to the player. Don't worry. Soon you will be a completely unstoppable force of nature.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I remember having the force deflect skill and standing there for like 5 minutes with 10 guys shooting lasers at me while I deflected all of them easily

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

The first bit after you get upgraded force choke was amazing and made up for Nar Shadda. A long narrow path over a pit with swarms of stormtroopers? Choke, fling AAAAAH. Choke, fling AAAAAH. Repeat like 50 times. :black101:

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
iirc it's hard but very doable to one-shot the lady Sith boss by force choking her as soon as the battle starts, and then within about a tenth of a second tilting your view at a 45 degree angle and towards the nearest edge and using force push to punt her off while still airborne before she breaks free of choke.

Also if you're not using g_saberrealisticcombat 1 you're not playing.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

owl_pellet posted:

I've been playing Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast after getting it in a bundle recently and the thing dragging it down is the Nar Shaddaa Streets level.
That level is pretty bad, but just grit your teeth and get through it, because the game is amazing after that. Then when you're done, play Jedi Academy.

MrJacobs posted:

After force speed, the force push is the best power
No, the best power is force grip because you can choke people like Darth Vader and why would you ever want to do anything else? Oh wait, because you also want to throw them off catwalks, which you also do with force grip. :colbert:

Sef!
Oct 31, 2012

Tiggum posted:

No, the best power is force grip because you can choke people like Darth Vader and why would you ever want to do anything else? Oh wait, because you also want to throw them off catwalks, which you also do with force grip. :colbert:

Best power is combo powers. I used to map Push, Pull, and Grip to Q, E, and R. Pull a guy towards you from a ledge, grip him in mid air, and then push him like a cannon ball into a nearby wall. Good times.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
The Goosebumps adventure game that WayForward put out last year has a very heavy element of randomization regarding what puzzles show up in each playthrough, which makes it a real pain in the rear end to find a guide when you get stuck and ensures that you'll end up with several pages of inventory full of red herring items because your playthrough doesn't have the puzzles that would require those items.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

People talking about bad parts of Jedi Knight II and leaving out the stupidest section of the game, the forced stealth level where you had to sneak around a room full of less guards than you normally encounter. They did such a bad job of justifying any part of it and why you couldn't trigger an alarm, especially if you ended up doing so and they show you surrendering to like four guys.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

JK2 had lots of insanely bad levels that drag it down generally, it's a good game that's painful to play through. Whenever I fire it up I end up just playing The Emperor's Courthouse and The Emperor's Deathstar, two completely batshit user-made maps filled with the most insane, fun nonsense imaginable.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

JK2 had lots of insanely bad levels that drag it down generally, it's a good game that's painful to play through. Whenever I fire it up I end up just playing The Emperor's Courthouse and The Emperor's Deathstar, two completely batshit user-made maps filled with the most insane, fun nonsense imaginable.

There's also an Arena map whose name escapes me at the moment that spawns you in an arena with all force powers, a lightsaber, and has you facing wave after wave of lightsaber enemies, starting from one or two of the basic enemies at a time and ramping up until you are taking on literally a dozen at once. All to the tune of Prodigy's Smack My Bitch Up, because reasons.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

muscles like this? posted:

People talking about bad parts of Jedi Knight II and leaving out the stupidest section of the game, the forced stealth level where you had to sneak around a room full of less guards than you normally encounter. They did such a bad job of justifying any part of it and why you couldn't trigger an alarm, especially if you ended up doing so and they show you surrendering to like four guys.
Oh yeah, that one was bad. I ended up just using a walkthrough that tells you where to plant proximity mines to just win.

Also, was it that game or Jedi Academy that had the level with the big monster and the prisoners you had to save? I decided it was too much of a hassle to get the prisoners out past the monster, so I just killed it. It has a ton of health, but it can be done without too much difficulty. Then a new one spawns so it's completely pointless.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.
I never got past the prison mine level of Jedi Outcast because I couldn't keep the prisoners from getting killed from the AT-STs. I finally figured out how to keep the prisoners from getting killed from the Imperials on top of the walls, as well as not getting killed by the AT-ST that's shooting at me, and then the doors opened and another AT-ST came out and killed the rest of the prisoners immediately. At that point I just threw up my hands and quit because this is just way too much bullshit to deal with.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

HaB posted:

It also tweaks my motion sickness just enough that I can only play for about 45 minutes at a time, but so far that's been okay because of the first reason.

how did cleretic fall off my ignore list

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
Say what you want about DOOM but "there's nothing but shooting" is pretty much an outright lie.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

packetmantis posted:

how did cleretic fall off my ignore list

Come on, give me credit. I would NEVER be bored during Doom (haven't bought it yet, but it's bookmarked as a 'when it's on special' game), I'm generally a fan of old-fashioned modern games, and my complaints about games I don't like are way more verbose than 'bored'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Then Witcher 3 has been really fun, but the way the diagrams for equipment is laid out makes zero progression sense. At level 3 I had diagrams for level 12-14 equipment that was promising a +60 defense boost in the first area. The only weapons that were less than that were a few level 5s randomly found in chests. This meant that I've been going through the first 10 levels with barely any upgrades because everything is either out of my level range or just a piece of garbage. I'm really looking forward to level 10 for a better sword (+40) and 11 for the Griffin Armour set (+64 defense for breastplate alone). It just feels like really weird pacing unless I've just missed a few low level diagrams.