Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Just make hate speech illegal like any other sane country

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

There's a spree shooting happening at UCLA right now. Was Milo's thing there today? I look forward to the reactionary response.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Fried Watermelon posted:

We can't do that! We'd be hurting the feelings of poor, oppressed entitled white conservatives.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Fried Watermelon posted:

Or don't, because you can find examples of every country that has those laws using them to supressing dissenting opinions by the very minorities they're supposed to protect.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Jack Gladney posted:

There's a spree shooting happening at UCLA right now. Was Milo's thing there today? I look forward to the reactionary response.

Amerikka lyfe: we react to school shootings as a form of particularly nasty weather.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Jack Gladney posted:

Uhhhhhhhh yeah actually, Breitbart is posting poo poo with today's date about UCLA being the last stop on his Dangerous human being tour and the protest activity that cancelled it. He was definitely there.

Edit: it looks like the event was yesterday and also that Breitbart is not very timely with their reporting.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jun 1, 2016

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Jack Gladney posted:

gently caress really :( i saw something about a lockdown on my phone, didnt see anything else.
EDIT: apperently it was a muder/sucide.

FuzzySkinner posted:

I hate standing up for milo, and I hate standing up for anti-feminists.

But....I feel it's incredibly lame to not let them speak and let their ideas get their asses kicked by the cool ones (so to speak).

If I were this women, you know what I'd do? Try to organize my own pro-feminist rally on the otherside of campus with various speakers who would support such causes. I realize that's easier said than done, but still I think it'd be quite a bit more effective.

This is the problem with our country right now. We're so unwilling to even bother listening to people, and are so hell bent on throwing a fit every time someone says something the least bit controversial.

This isn't a "LEFT V. RIGHT/FEMINIST V. MRA/ATHEIST V. CHRISTIAN" thing. It's an rear end in a top hat v. reasonable person type of thing. People of ALL political beliefs do it, and we as a nation need to tell them to sit down and shut the gently caress up.

What that young women did was actually EXACTLY what Milo wanted her to do, and seemed to play into the feminist straw women that he's devoloped over the years. She looked like the rear end in a top hat versus the guy bitching about feminism.

Now if you excuses me, I'm going to go take a shower for defending someone with garbage viewpoints.

I somewhat agree with you, at least on the part where they should organize their own rally and speechs at the same time instead of going apeshit at milos dumb speech, because that plays into milos and the altrights hands. I dont however think orange girl did anything wrong.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jun 1, 2016

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Keeshhound posted:

Or don't, because you can find examples of every country that has those laws using them to supressing dissenting opinions by the very minorities they're supposed to protect.

Yup and I prefer being able to identify these assholes in the open.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

SeANMcBAY posted:

Yup and I prefer being able to identify these assholes in the open.

Yeah, then we can have Team Rape-should-be-legal and Team Are-you-loving-serious-right-now?

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I somewhat agree with you, at least on the part where they should organize their own rally and speechs at the same time instead of going apeshit at milos dumb speech, because that plays into milos and the altrights hands. I dont however think orange girl did anything wrong.

i'm sure you know that entitled whiny right-wing white boys like milo get "triggered" just by people organizing counter-rallies and speeches and would act like such actions were trying to crash them anyway

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Dapper_Swindler posted:

The mere fact that feminists even exist plays into the alt-right's hands. It literally does not matter what they do, or even if they do anything at all, they will still use them as an excuse to bitch.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
I really don't see what is wrong with civil disobedience.

By all means, protest outside of his lovely venues parading all of his worst and most vile opinions. Block the doors with giant balls of students chained together. Videotape ever loving second of it and wait for the assholes to start throwing punches.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Octatonic posted:

Amerikka lyfe: we react to school shootings as a form of particularly nasty weather.

Succinct as gently caress

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Keeshhound posted:

There are so manymore examples of people using free speech to suppress minorities though

Face it guys, you lost your free speech privileges by letting stupid people make decisions

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Fried Watermelon posted:

There are so manymore examples of people using free speech to suppress minorities though

Face it guys, you lost your free speech privileges by letting stupid people make decisions

I guess you're right. After all, most European countries have hate speech laws, and they're all post - racial societies without a hint of racism in their politics.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

Who What Now posted:

The mere fact that feminists even exist plays into the alt-right's hands. It literally does not matter what they do, or even if they do anything at all, they will still use them as an excuse to bitch.

That said, the majority of people protesting milo and company are incredibly bad at it, because the alt-right's foundations exist in the gaps unserved by Traditional, Serious, Protest. Calling him, and his ilk, misogynists/racists/whatever doesn't work because they're essentially radio shock jocks with some other gimmick on top of that. Call him a nerd, ask why his roots are always showing, and if he started wearing his shirt open because he was afraid everyone was going to realize he uses clip-on ties.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Bushiz posted:

That said, the majority of people protesting milo and company are incredibly bad at it, because the alt-right's foundations exist in the gaps unserved by Traditional, Serious, Protest. Calling him, and his ilk, misogynists/racists/whatever doesn't work because they're essentially radio shock jocks with some other gimmick on top of that. Call him a nerd, ask why his roots are always showing, and if he started wearing his shirt open because he was afraid everyone was going to realize he uses clip-on ties.

The Alt-right "debate" style is trying to drag everyone down to a Middle School level, then beating them with experience.

Octatonic posted:

I'm not sure it even rises to that level. At least after flooding, people demand we do something to help rather than give the good old "pray for the victims" platitudes.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jun 1, 2016

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I think Simon might be onto something, actually.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Geostomp posted:

The Alt-right "debate" style is trying to drag everyone down to a Middle School level, then beating them with experience.

I'm not sure it even rises to that level. At least after flooding, people demand we do something to help rather than give the good old "pray for the victims" platitudes.

I actually can do that. They tend to be scared once I start mentioning Gulags.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

seiferguy posted:

Didn't the ACLU basically say that it's wrong to suppress hate speech (either with violence / authority), and the best way to fight it was to use free speech of your own to counter it?

I'm not entirely sure how I feel about that. I remember my senior year of college, the school made a decision to ban the LaRouche pac and anti-abortion supporters (who would hold up blown up pictures of aborted fetuses) on campus on the basis that it didn't contribute to a healthy learning environment. Hell, when they were on campus, I would take routes to avoid having to deal with them. I don't think anyone besides them shed a tear that they were gone.

In general I find myself very skeptical of the rather extreme pro-free-speech sentiment that seems pervasive in the US. I feel like, as Americans, we're brought up with this idea that free speech is obviously inherently a good thing and that limiting it is a slippery slope to some 1984-esque dystopia, but I don't really buy that. Speech can cause very real harm, and I don't really see any practical difference between telling a rape victim she deserved it and slapping her in the face. I feel like our legal system should be fully capable of dealing with the context of individual instances of harmful speech and that punishing or banning certain things isn't going to magically lead to a world where people are hauled off to jail for an angry blog post. And even if it sometimes *did* lead to unjust punishments, isn't it still possible that the benefits of limiting such speech might outweigh the harms? Maybe they wouldn't, but I feel that it's wrong to treat "free speech absolutely must not be infringed upon" as some moral axiom.

I think part of the problem is that a very large number of people (primarily white males) are in a position where there isn't any speech that can cause them harm, and they lack the empathy to really imagine what it feels like to be targeted by hateful speech. Since there are no insults that can have a great impact on them, they just imagine that it's the same for everyone else. From my own experience as an opiate addict (who has never stolen from or hurt anyone, aside from the emotional pain of my family not wanting to see me suffer), it is extremely painful to see how frequently people talk about how addicts are scum of the Earth, and I imagine it is even worse to have such words used against someone because of their sexual orientation or ethnicity.

edit: I should mention that I'm not referring to citizens using violence against each other here. I can't really imagine a situation where allowing that is a good idea. I'm talking more about the government punishing certain types of speech (and maybe treating such speech as a mitigating factor if someone does use violence in response to it).

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jun 1, 2016

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Keeshhound posted:

I guess you're right. After all, most European countries have hate speech laws, and they're all post - racial societies without a hint of racism in their politics.

It's a step in the right direction rather than leaving it to entropy, which gets you people like Donald Trump becoming president

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Fried Watermelon posted:

It's a step in the right direction rather than leaving it to entropy, which gets you people like Donald Trump becoming president

Who isn't president. Let's compare that to the fact the next PM of the Netherlands Could be a man who has advanced banning the Koran.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Donald Trump isn't president and he's magnitudes more likely to sink the GOP than get elected. Try again.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Ytlaya posted:

I think part of the problem is that a very large number of people (primarily white males) are in a position where there isn't any speech that can cause them harm, and they lack the empathy to really imagine what it feels like to be targeted by hateful speech.

There is a shitload of hateful speech targeted at white men... and I guarantee that a lot of MRA's are dipshits who think that rhetoric is aimed at them personally.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Chilichimp posted:

There is a shitload of hateful speech targeted at white men... and I guarantee that a lot of MRA's are dipshits who think that rhetoric is aimed at them personally.

Right but I think the point is that society is structured in such a way that insults directed at straight white guys lack the weight of insults directed at minorities. Being called a honky isn't as impactful as being called a racial slur for black people.

edit: Also just lol if people think that straight white guys have anywhere near the same hate, in either volume or intensity, directed at them as a random member of a minority group.

Sharkie fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jun 1, 2016

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
A lot of this isn't about "free speech" though. It's students preventing horrible shits from not only expressing their views but it also prevents them from getting paid to express their terrible views.

People like Milo or Condi Rice can be 100% terrible people and express all the hate filled invective they want. But having a university (or anywhere) give credence to those views by giving them a venue and paying them is just plain wrong.

Let them chill out in a public area screaming their insane poo poo. That's fine, that's free speech. I wouldn't mind if someone used their own free speech to knock their teeth out, but they both ought have the freedom to do that.

But getting paid and having a venue provided at the cost of students? That is hosed up.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
I think that anyone wanting to speak at a public university should be required to have to do one hour of questions from anyone. Also why is he paid?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Because the shitheel conservative students group that invited him used their ~*~ Title IX ~*~ funds to pay him.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Chilichimp posted:

Like Sharkie said, such speech carries little weight since it lacks the impact of speech targeted at minorities. Like, black people can call white honkies, but there isn't the same history (or capability) of oppression and violence there to back that up. There are a number of factors the contribute to the "effectiveness" of hateful speech, including stuff like power and how accepted by the public those views are (with something like addiction the latter is the main reason it is hurtful).

While I'm sure that there are some MRA types who are delusional enough to truly believe that they're being oppressed, the problem there is more the delusion than the speech itself.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Was Milo the UCLA shooter?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Slurs name power imbalances in a way that affirms the power the speaker has over the target. That's why people use them. It's also why you can instantly identify a useless one or an antiquated one.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
But is cracker as bad as the N-word?

It probably is. :ohdear:

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

CommieGIR posted:

Was Milo the UCLA shooter?

Unfortunately, he wasn't.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Jack Gladney posted:

Slurs name power imbalances in a way that affirms the power the speaker has over the target. That's why people use them. It's also why you can instantly identify a useless one or an antiquated one.

Also succinct as gently caress.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Ytlaya posted:

In general I find myself very skeptical of the rather extreme pro-free-speech sentiment that seems pervasive in the US. I feel like, as Americans, we're brought up with this idea that free speech is obviously inherently a good thing and that limiting it is a slippery slope to some 1984-esque dystopia, but I don't really buy that. Speech can cause very real harm, and I don't really see any practical difference between telling a rape victim she deserved it and slapping her in the face. I feel like our legal system should be fully capable of dealing with the context of individual instances of harmful speech and that punishing or banning certain things isn't going to magically lead to a world where people are hauled off to jail for an angry blog post. And even if it sometimes *did* lead to unjust punishments, isn't it still possible that the benefits of limiting such speech might outweigh the harms? Maybe they wouldn't, but I feel that it's wrong to treat "free speech absolutely must not be infringed upon" as some moral axiom.

Well I can think of a whole lot of practical differences between telling a rape victim they deserved it, and slapping them in the face.

The right to free speech and freedom of association are pretty important, and that whole line of thought just seems quite authoritarian and naive, a kind of weird leftist revanchist fantasy that bad people can be purged from the body politic through a legalized consensus disapproval. Historically, this is not how these things go down.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Ytlaya posted:

While I'm sure that there are some MRA types who are delusional enough to truly believe that they're being oppressed, the problem there is more the delusion than the speech itself.

The bigger issue, and the reason why hate speech laws wind up doing more harm than good, is that the courts are still full of white men, and a worryingly large number are probably going to end up being sympathetic to those arguments.

Seriously, everyone here who thinks hate speech laws are a good idea, take 10 minutes and really think of the worst possible way they could be interpreted by a legal authority, because that is guaranteed to be what winds up happening sooner or later.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Fried Watermelon posted:

But Trump's flavor of right wing populism is pretty well established in Europe already, so I'm not sure how that works.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Counterpoint: Germany gets along quite well and manages to be a free and democratic society, despite some of the strictest hate speech laws on record.

Places like Turkey that abuse restrictions on free speech tend to have bigger problems so the challenges associated with restrictions in free speech are tied to other, anti democratic problems. Even then, it isn't always bad. Singapore absolutely uses hate speech laws in a political manner but even with those totalitarian abuses, Singapore is held up as an example of a a free country with many more rights than its neighbors.

Even the extreme cases of abuse aren't that bad unless the situation is already hosed.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Shbobdb posted:

Counterpoint: Germany gets along quite well and manages to be a free and democratic society, despite some of the strictest hate speech laws on record.

Places like Turkey that abuse restrictions on free speech tend to have bigger problems so the challenges associated with restrictions in free speech are tied to other, anti democratic problems. Even then, it isn't always bad. Singapore absolutely uses hate speech laws in a political manner but even with those totalitarian abuses, Singapore is held up as an example of a a free country with many more rights than its neighbors.

Even the extreme cases of abuse aren't that bad unless the situation is already hosed.

Yeah I would say most Goons wouldn't be able to live three months in Singapore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Just make swirlies protected speech and it will all sort itself out