Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug

obi_ant posted:

Where do you work? I'm looking for shoes in a warehouse like environment.

Wouldn't you want steel toed shoes for that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

obi_ant posted:

Outside, have to walk 15+km per day and my Nike soles disintegrated.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

obi_ant posted:

All of the warehouse guys at work wear New Balance 990, which they all claim are the best "walking on cement" shoes they have ever owned.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Helios Grime posted:

Wouldn't you want steel toed shoes for that?

It's not really a warehouse. I just use a paper jack to move things around a large open area, I do more walking and carrying of poo poo than anything else.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Jerry Cotton posted:

Squirt it all into your dick hole.

Have you no restraint?

Squirt half of it into your dick hole.

RadioactiveKid
Aug 12, 2005

Gato Rebelde
I got a Leatherman Skeletool, its a pretty handy multi tool just the basics, knife,screwdriver,pliers, and a bottle opener so its not too bulky and fits fine in my pocket.

Also got a new mower, the one I had before just gave up and kept breaking down constantly so it was time to get a new one.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Bought a 10" cast iron skillet for a huge percentage off. Looks to still be live if you buy it through Amazon ($13.49 as opposed to $29.99)
http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-LCS3-Pre-Seasoned-Cast-Iron-Skillet/dp/B00008GKDJ?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Dick Trauma posted:

Have you no restraint?

Sage advice from user Dick Trauma.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Geekin' hard with this watch:

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
and

:cool:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Dick Trauma posted:

Have you no restraint?

I escaped!

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Re: Shoe Talk

Scarpa Zen Pro and never look back.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

dpack_1 posted:

Also recently purchased:

A cheap rear end blender to make crushed ice drinks this summer:

If you want to make crushed ice drinks or smoothies, or not get pissed off, you should return that and get a better one. I bought that exact model and it was horrible and burned out after about 4 months of regular use.

I got this and could not be happier. It's not "Blendtec" quality, but then again it's not $700 either, but I was going through cheap blenders trying to save money before I got this and have been happy ever since.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I have a Blendtec. They're as amazing as they're advertised.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

You seem like my kind of person.
E: What do the numbers on the bottle signify?

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

travisray2004 posted:

Drink a bite to eat at 10, 2, and 4.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

travisray2004 posted:

Years ago I bought one of those sugar cane Dr Peppers from the plant in Texas but was disappointed to find that it was not the religious experience I'd hoped for. I also miss Mr Pibb which finally disappeared from my region about 10 years ago.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan
Mr. Pibb always just tasted like Dr. Pepper gone flat to me.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Didn't even get his degree. Mr. Pibb why you drop out of school so soon?

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Blistex posted:

If you want to make crushed ice drinks or smoothies, or not get pissed off, you should return that and get a better one. I bought that exact model and it was horrible and burned out after about 4 months of regular use.

I got this and could not be happier. It's not "Blendtec" quality, but then again it's not $700 either, but I was going through cheap blenders trying to save money before I got this and have been happy ever since.

I got this one because it was cheaper and I'm pretty happy with it, use it a lot for icy drinks and also the grinding attachment for coffee

http://amzn.to/1RNI4zR

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
You guys that are making smoothies/icy fruit drinks have any good recipes or sites for that stuff? I always want to make them but every time I look up recipes it seems every site has some different combo. Is there a versatile basic recipe that I can use with just about any fruit combo? What about frozen vs fresh fruit?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

You can just put in any combination you want.

I tend to go 80% vegetables and 20% fruit but some people just make sugar bombs and use frozen apples and bananas with orange juice.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Trastion posted:

You guys that are making smoothies/icy fruit drinks have any good recipes or sites for that stuff? I always want to make them but every time I look up recipes it seems every site has some different combo. Is there a versatile basic recipe that I can use with just about any fruit combo? What about frozen vs fresh fruit?

My go to "recipe":

Couple scoops of greek yogurt
Big rear end handful of baby spinach
Ripe banana, broken up
Couple scoops of protein powder
Chia seeds if I have some. Couple spoonsful
Handful (roughly) of frozen mango, maybe some other frozen fruit

Blend until smooth. Add ice and blend again if necessary. The chia seeds are good because they soak up liquid and will keep your smoothie thick even after it melts. Plus they're healthy.

Pretty much all my smoothies start with yogurt and spinach. From there it's a matter of which fruits I want to add, etc.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

My go to "recipe":

Couple scoops of greek yogurt
Big rear end handful of baby spinach
Ripe banana, broken up
Couple scoops of protein powder
Chia seeds if I have some. Couple spoonsful
Handful (roughly) of frozen mango, maybe some other frozen fruit

Blend until smooth. Add ice and blend again if necessary. The chia seeds are good because they soak up liquid and will keep your smoothie thick even after it melts. Plus they're healthy.

Pretty much all my smoothies start with yogurt and spinach. From there it's a matter of which fruits I want to add, etc.

My smoothie recipe is just:

greek yogurt
frozen strawberries/raspberries
cranberry juice
ice

super easy.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Trastion posted:

These days I'm minimizing my sugar intake so I just do:

- No sugar added yogurt
- Banana
- Ice
- A little bit of strawberry zero calorie drink mix

OR

- Apple
- Ice
- A little bit of lemon zero calorie drink mix

OR

- Black coffee
- Ice

Not very exciting but tastes decent and it's healthy

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Smoothie chat:

My base is a banana, a handful of strawberries, and a splash of juice (usually orange, but I use cider when it's in season), a scoop of Greek yogurt, some ice, and 2tsp of metamucil.

Then, depending on what I want, I'll throw in one or more of the following: scoop of protein powder, half an apple/pear/peach/nectarine, fresh mango/kiwi, a handful of grapes, fresh berries, and/or a thimble of peanut butter.

I tried to get into the kale/spinach scene, but they honestly just ruin the flavor for me. I'm all for kale/spinach/chard and other veggies, but they just do not taste good uncooked, IMO.

Edit: also, about the fresh v. Frozen question, it doesn't really matter, with the caveat that you are more likely to see contamination with frozen fruit given that you are less likely to wash it yourself.

Brother Tadger has a new favorite as of 00:19 on Jun 2, 2016

Smashurbanipal
Sep 12, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT BEING A SHITTY POSTER

Blistex posted:

:reject: "SOFIA, YOU'VE STOPPED COMING TO THE CAFE"

:sonia: "LET'S JOST SAY I FOOOOOUND SOOMTHING BETTER!"

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Let another's wounds be your warning

Blistex posted:

Appreciate the recommendation, but this is literally for the 'Great British Summer', which I actually think has ended already. I'll be lucky to use this maybe 10 times a year so didn't wanna spend more than 20-30 on something that would just take ice cubes and turn them into a slurry along with some cordial so i can add some vodka and have a few alcoholic slushies a year.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Smoothie pro-tip - put a pinch of this in your smoothie to make it actually smooth and keep the ice/liquid from separating. Put in too much and you get closer to pudding/undrinkable McDonald's milkshake.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

colas posted:

Smoothie pro-tip - put a pinch of this in your smoothie to make it actually smooth and keep the ice/liquid from separating. Put in too much and you get closer to pudding/undrinkable McDonald's milkshake.

Science is cool but also nature: "Xanthan gum derives its name from the strain of bacteria used during the fermentation process, Xanthomonas campestris. X. campestris is the same bacterium responsible for causing black rot to form on broccoli, cauliflower, and other leafy vegetables. The bacterium forms a slimy substance that acts as a natural stabilizer or thickener."

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Black rot! See that, nature's goodness.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
My morning smoothie:

- 1 medium/large banana
- 3 tbsp pb fit
- ~1 tsp immitation vanilla extract
- 1/2 scoop of vanilla cream protein powder
- ~6 ice cubes
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- Optional: 1 tsp of sugar
~350 calories and tasty

I have this and black coffee every morning for breakfast. Note: The pb fit and the protein powder are cheaper to source locally at sam's club for me than on amazon. YMMV

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
Thanks everyone for the recipes. I was already using a lot of the stuff mentioned but didn't know if it was the best way. I don't think I will go with the bacteria gum stuff and not sure I need protein powder.

I have been doing banana, fruit (fresh and/or frozen) and yogurt then ice. I like the idea of the Vanilla extract having not thought of that. I think I have some other extracts too, almond maybe. I also tend to not use sugar as the fruit has enough sugar as it is.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

Dick Trauma posted:

Have you no restraint?

I trust your opinion on this matter, forums poster Dick Trauma.

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

Trastion posted:

Thanks everyone for the recipes. I was already using a lot of the stuff mentioned but didn't know if it was the best way. I don't think I will go with the bacteria gum stuff and not sure I need protein powder.

I have been doing banana, fruit (fresh and/or frozen) and yogurt then ice. I like the idea of the Vanilla extract having not thought of that. I think I have some other extracts too, almond maybe. I also tend to not use sugar as the fruit has enough sugar as it is.

Try throwing almonds in, my favorite fast/casual/healthy restaurant Freshii does this and it's bomb.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

colas posted:

Is there any chance that this works for juices too? Loved my juicer for a few weeks until it got annoying that I had to either chug my concoction or stir it continuously to prevent separation.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Inspector 34 posted:

Is there any chance that this works for juices too? Loved my juicer for a few weeks until it got annoying that I had to either chug my concoction or stir it continuously to prevent separation.

Never tried it, but it should work with any liquid. It will make them thicker in the process though. Not sure thick (think drinkable yogourt) juice is nice.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Not sure how much it would take to stabilize the juice but you could experiment to find an amount that worked without making it too thick. You can also shear it afterwards with an immersion blender and it will get thinner (without turning into a fluid gel like a lot of hydrocolloids)

But as I mentioned, for my smoothies, a tablespoon or two of chia seeds will make them naturally thick without resorting to bacteria slime.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

A ticket to see this dude live for the first time in September:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAJgs1P-uUE

(James Blake, not Bon Iver)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyWeVWiDnbQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6p6PcFFUm5I

Rageaholic has a new favorite as of 22:03 on Jun 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

This pretty much completes my collection of favorite Britcoms from the 70s/80s.

They tried to remake this in England and from what I heard, it sucked. They tried an American version and it DID suck (despite having Richard Mulligan).