Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Fat Shat Sings posted:

I figured that was just the computer adapting to his input and responding in kind. Like it starts out being a blank slate that answers his questions in the most efficient way possible, but after he spends some time flirting with it the computer thinks he wants to go to bone town.

It would probably have been like "Situation Resolved, Engineer Laforge. Would you like to address another issue or end program?" But after a few days of goony flirting the computer has adjusted the program to Georgi's wants, which is a horny lady that is down to gently caress.

The same computer that doesn't bother notifying anyone when people just disappear from the ship, or when vortexes to another dimension open up in people's quarters? Which, by the way, seems to happen all the goddamn time? I don't think this computer adapts to anything. For God's sake, the captain silk has to tell the computer if he wants a cup of tea hot or cold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Monkey Fracas posted:

Upon reflection Geordi is obviously the worst, yeah

Worse than Barclay who's just kinda nervous and insecure and misses work because he's playing holo-waifu-dating sims

Worse than Worf with his klingon weeaboo space bushido

Worse than Data who is just a robot with a touch of the 'tism

Worse than Wesley who at least has the courtesy to gently caress off like halfway through the series

So Barclay is just a space weeaboo after anime had been eradicated

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Barclay is a space hypochondriac in an era of near perfect medical information.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Barclay has a cat named Neelix

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

shadow puppet of a posted:

Barclay is a space hypochondriac in an era of near perfect medical information.

He was right about the time there was space worms in the transporter, and he was right to worry about his flu when it turned him into a spider and Troi into a fishlady.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Barclay has a cat named Neelix

I'm pretty sure that he'd have anime if it was legal

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

criscodisco posted:

He was right about the time there was space worms in the transporter, and he was right to worry about his flu when it turned him into a spider and Troi into a fishlady.

That was a good episode

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Barclay was a for-real genius, even before he did that compu-meld thing in the holodeck.

And then wasn't he a pretty normal guy during one the movies? Like he had a little cameo role where he was all "I'm all better now, ladies. Come get deez nuts." And then he transported his runabout into Troi's wormhole.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Barclay is a hypochondriac socially retarded sad sack on a ship full of perfect human beings who constantly get mad at him for loving up. Of course he's a basket case who eventually finds solace in Voyager's adventures.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

criscodisco posted:

Yeah, it's not like Geordi wrote the line "when you're touching the engines, you're touching me" line. That was all the pervy computer.

I think the real story here is that the computer loves Geordi and was living that love vicariously through a human-form hologram.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Somebody say "Barclay"?

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

There is little that makes me happier than taking drugs. Perhaps administering them, designing and carrying out experiments that bend the plane of what we consider reality.

Booblord Zagats posted:

Somebody say "Barclay"?

This is my favorite gif of all time.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
It's funny that voyager is so bland that people can't help but talk about the other star trek shows in a voyager thread.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Booblord Zagats posted:

Somebody say "Barclay"?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Booblord Zagats posted:

Somebody say "Barclay"?

Wasn't there a whole series of these?

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

The General posted:

Geordi asked for a personality profile, as close as the computer could do. Maybe professionally she's a flirt at the conferences. Who knows? But Geordi only takes some of the blame here. The computer did it.

I'm pretty convinced that since it's Roddenberry's free love future, the holodeck is programmed with the assumption that it will be used for sex so all the programming is a little too responsive and forward.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Police Automaton posted:

It's funny that voyager is so bland that people can't help but talk about the other star trek shows in a voyager thread.

Fine.

An example of pretty much everyone's complaint about the resets in voyager is in one episode when someone needs to escape the ship for some reason, so they just smash a shuttle through the shuttle bay doors causing all kinds of damage to the ship. And it's never once mentioned by anyone. Not even like "We had work crews put in some extra time!" just someone blows a huge hole in the ship and nobody even seems to register that it was a thing that happened.

That episode where Kes gets super powers and comes back all pissed off? She is destroying entire hallways in decks and blowing up the structure of the ship and crumpling beams. They just sort of knock her out and it's like none of that ever happened.

The Hirogen wanted to be Nazi Aliens so they ended up converting a huge amount of the internal space in voyager into gigantic holodecks they could be even bigger Nazi in. Somehow they were just ripping out entire decks of the ship. Which is fixed somehow between episodes and never at all mentioned.

Also obligatory torpedo inventory

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIGxMENwq1k

And the fact they had 2 shuttles but lost 18 of them or something.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
I remember reading somewhere that in the original drafts geordi was supposed to be gay and data was supposed to be bald and pink

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

Fat Shat Sings posted:

I died around the 2 minute mark.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
What was that orange groove on the front top of voyager for?

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

According to page 11 of the Voyager Technical Manual that is apparently online, it's the "upper phaser strip", or possibly the "upper sensor pallets".

Syfe fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jun 1, 2016

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
I thought those were the brown lines along the sides....I mean that orange divot infront of the exposed part.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
If I'm thinking of the same thing you are, it's the phaser.

It was 7 of 9 that blew out the shuttlebay doors, and when Kes came back she not only Carrie'd the interior of the ship, but she flew her shuttle right through the hull of Voyager. Thankfully they had a new hull in storage, though.

It's times like this that I wish the Aatrek thing had never happened. I know he's a child molester and all, but he did have an excellent repository of Voyager gifs on his site that were great for threads like this.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Fat Shat Sings posted:

Fine.

An example of pretty much everyone's complaint about the resets in voyager is in one episode when someone needs to escape the ship for some reason, so they just smash a shuttle through the shuttle bay doors causing all kinds of damage to the ship. And it's never once mentioned by anyone. Not even like "We had work crews put in some extra time!" just someone blows a huge hole in the ship and nobody even seems to register that it was a thing that happened.

That episode where Kes gets super powers and comes back all pissed off? She is destroying entire hallways in decks and blowing up the structure of the ship and crumpling beams. They just sort of knock her out and it's like none of that ever happened.

The Hirogen wanted to be Nazi Aliens so they ended up converting a huge amount of the internal space in voyager into gigantic holodecks they could be even bigger Nazi in. Somehow they were just ripping out entire decks of the ship. Which is fixed somehow between episodes and never at all mentioned.

That Hirogen episode had holo-artillery shells that blew up a multi-story (???) hole in the wall of the holodeck.

rocket_man38
Jan 23, 2006

My life is a barrel o' fun!!

Booblord Zagats posted:

Somebody say "Barclay"?

I used to love the grin TNG recuts on youtube, they were all kind of like this. But CBS made youtube take them down.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

They're gone!? That's bullshit!

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Even the docevil one? I used to get stoned and listen to that for hours.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

these ones are still up though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtCL4Zs0oCQ

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Grins videos ae still around, but he has to keep moving them to different channels. It's stupid because trekclip just uploads wholesale scenes from the show and never gets caught

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Arcsquad12 posted:

Grins videos ae still around, but he has to keep moving them to different channels. It's stupid because trekclip just uploads wholesale scenes from the show and never gets caught

is it possible that hardcore trekkies are reporting them because they violate the sanctity of Roddenberry's Vision ???????

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

is it possible that hardcore trekkies are reporting them because they violate the sanctity of Roddenberry's Vision ???????

That's why I report them

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I wonder if anyone out there has like a crazy fetish for Neelix like that one lady in Trekkies had for Brent Spiner.

edit: ok cursory googling finds me Paris/Neelix fanfiction, enough with that bit of curiosity on my part.

CHICKEN SHOES fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jun 2, 2016

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Of course there is someone, how could you doubt that

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Of course there is someone, how could you doubt that

Yeah it was maybe the dumbest question I have ever asked.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
All good friend :)

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Fat Shat Sings posted:

He needed to work on the Enterprise's engines in some lethal trap so he created the designer of the Enterprise, then kept flirting with her so much over the course of the episode that everyone started getting creeped out. Since his mechanistic hologram was responding to his creepy advances and turning flirtatious. Picard even tried to shut him down when the ship was critical on power, couldn't run any systems, but Geordi was sperging out because he wanted his holo-wife program running.

Later the lady visited the Enterprise and found Geordi's creepy simulation of her being all flirty. At least it had it's clothes on I guess. That may have been before the alien cured his aspergers with space light though.

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

Even worse than I remembered, apparently.

And it gets still worse because she is initially horrified, correctly, but by the end of that story she is apologizing to Geordi. :wtf:

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Melchior posted:

This was easily the worst trek episode I had ever watched, which made Move Along Home shakespearian by comparison. That being said, after I finished up DS9, VOY became my go-to 'watch in bed before we go to sleep' show. I was prepared for it to be awful but after 6 seasons bland really IS a much better description. The most surprising thing is that Neelix is a lot less jarjar like than I thought he'd be, although I really wish him and Quark would stop shopping at the upholstery fabric store.

Related:

That episode really creeped me out as a kid

rocket_man38
Jan 23, 2006

My life is a barrel o' fun!!

The Sphinxster posted:

And it gets still worse because she is initially horrified, correctly, but by the end of that story she is apologizing to Geordi. :wtf:

Def written by a nerd. "Cute girls get creeped out by me for no reason! If they only knew me they would see what a great guy I am!"

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
What the hell kinda name is geordi any wsy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Hector Beerlioz posted:

What the hell kinda name is geordi any wsy

It reflects his African heritage. Levar burton actually fought for the name. They originally wanted to name him Bill La Forge