Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

Tekopo posted:

Oh poo poo I meant it the other way around. I like Switzerland, it's Austria that has the lovely gimmick.

You are talking about the mini off map board and its companies right? Unfortunately it looks like that still remains according to this list: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1569602/1854-changes-first-edition

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

1853 is really not very good. I know some people who like it as a more relaxing 18xx with less stock manipulation and more tracklaying, but there's a lot of situations where the tracklaying isn't that interesting and contracts don't work too well until everyone's played a couple of times.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

MrDru posted:

what's the hive mind opinion on archipelago?

It was a nightmare to teach and the rule book is really bad at teaching the game. I don't have a strong opinion on the game, although it's leaning negative, but there's a lot of great ideas that just aren't executed intuitively.

Trying to teach a 5 player game was an absolute nightmare. The turn bidding made no sense to them because it's meaningless in the first turn. The action execution was fine, it's a simple worker placement system, but I lost them when trying to explain how control of buildings worked and what it meant for workers to lie on their side. Then we go to buying cards at the very end of a round, that's fine, but they completely lost it when the crisis changed to replace the purchased cards. To them it was an affront to game design that you couldn't plan for a crisis the following turn. Well, we got to turn 2 and they're like "what's the point in bidding for turn order, why do I care about going first?" Okay, we have to resolve the crisis so we lay each meeple on its side and now the first player pays the crisis and stands up his choice of units "WHOAH WHOAH WHOAH WHOAH"

I'd recommend teaching it to one person at a time until everyone you intend to play with knows how to play.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
The trick to turn bidding in Archipelago is that you're not really bidding for first, you're bidding to be the kingmaker for the round. If you really want to be first, due to the unfriendly tie system it's generally less risky and more efficient to pay that guy than to bid.

That aside, the rulebook is definitely bad at getting certain core concepts across, like how your citizens become engaged and the consequences of such, and what exactly you're allowed to do on each of your turns (the answer is 1) place an action disc, 2) use a port or market, 3) use an evolution card, in whatever order you want). The latter is even written clearly on the inside of the player blinds amusingly enough, just nowhere in the manual. Another possible caveat is that it has some unfortunate depictions of colonization and race, though it does engage with the subject in interesting ways that most Euros about colonization would gloss over. In the end though, it's a brilliant fusion of theme and mechanics, and is probably the only game to date that has done the semi-cooperative mode of play right.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
Archipelago is what you get if you take the zombies out of Dead of Winter and replace them with a quality game.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Big McHuge posted:

Archipelago is what you get if you take the zombies out of Dead of Winter and replace them with a quality game.

Surprisingly accurate but you also replace the zombies with a problematic depiction of colonialism and denigration of indigenous peoples.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I'm not sure if I'd call it problematic so much as uncomfortably thematic. It's also one of the best representations of the tragedy of the Commons I've seen, although it's not something I really seek examples of.

My biggest issue with it is that some of the iconography on the evolution cards kinda blows rear end and they should have replaced them all with words.

Also I feel the rulebook really needs to emphasize the need to negotiate and trade, since doing anything on your own is super inefficient.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

I do enjoy the solitaire expansion for Archipelago and the multiplayer expansion adds a good selection of cards that lean toward aggressive and combative actions. I usually divvy up the deck and let people choose what they think is best to add to the game, since everyone has their own playstyle. Some of the solo expansion quests are hard as hell too and Donald Trompe also makes an appearance.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
Archipelago is one of my faves... but it's tough to get to the table :( Teaching is a bear, and getting the level of play up where people are willing to attempt a medium game is a bit of a challenge.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I find teaching Keyflower takes forever and people've only just gotten a handle on things by the end of the game.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

SynthOrange posted:

I find teaching Keyflower takes forever and people've only just gotten a handle on things by the end of the game.

Structuring the teaching a bit better drastically reduced the amount of time it takes me to teach people Keyflower.

Do something like
- What the glyphs mean first, with some examples, so they can understand most tiles in the game and ask if they don't
- Lay out an example spring
- Explain bidding on normal tiles, bidding on turn order, using tiles (mention other people's tiles), upgrading, then briefly explain what that will mean for their meeple count in general (again with examples)
- Spring is resources, summer is resources and boats, autumn is point warehouses, winter is pure points
- here are your winter tiles
- go

It's a game that's easy to meander from one topic to another if you're teaching it, so a script helps. But yes, you'll never have more than a faint idea of what's going on in your first game.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

berenzen posted:

Hey guys, I'm looking for a board game that I'd be able to play with my girlfriend. Our current go-to games are Tash-Kalar, Dominion and Pandemic, with the occasional Dungeon Petz. We're looking for another game to diversify the games that we can play together. Any recommendations?

I will never stop recommending Patchwork. It's fast, it's cute, and it has a surprising amount of strategic depth.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

SaltLick posted:

Had a few rounds of Legendary Encounters: Aliens. Good stuff and hard as we got swarmed every single time. How different in the Predator version?

Same basic game, different tweaks for each scenario. If you ever watched Predator and wanted to be the Predator it's the game for you. It also includes rules for hunting xenomorphs as Predators in competition with each other.

SirFelixCat
Apr 8, 2016

They say an elephant never forgets the first time they got company dumped.
So other than one of the Splotter fellas almost dying in a freak accident, HeavyCon couldn't have gone better. We were told by some that they would choose HeavyCon over BGGCON. That was pretty awesome to hear, I have to say.:)

Esposito
Apr 5, 2003

Sic transit gloria. Maybe we'll meet again someday, when the fighting stops.
what was the freak accident?

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
Crushed by meeples?

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
For content: my GF really likes TIME STORIES. Are there any actually good games that scratch the same itch of puzzle solving and theme?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

the panacea posted:

For content: my GF really likes TIME STORIES. Are there any actually good games that scratch the same itch of puzzle solving and theme?

Tragedy Looper. Though it has more of an anime theme than a "time travel" theme.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Did that french redesign come through?

I liked the SyFy channel schlock vibes it had.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Rutibex posted:

Tragedy Looper. Though it has more of an anime theme than a "time travel" theme.

It has a Groundhog Day theme with anime characters.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Tragedy Looper should've had a knockoff Detective Conan instead of no-name anime high schoolers. But the theme is v good and fitting.

Heisenberg1276
Apr 13, 2007
Recently I've been totally addicted to Food Chain Magnate (primarily playing on Boardgamecore) and I'm looking to get another Splotter game.

I see Indonesia and The Great Zimbabwe are due for reprint but I mainly play 2 players and I don't think 2 players is particularly good with either of them is it?

Has there been any talk of a reprint of roads & boats? it looks interesting

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

Roads and boats recently got reprinted. I doubt it's up for another printing soon.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Heisenberg1276 posted:

Recently I've been totally addicted to Food Chain Magnate (primarily playing on Boardgamecore) and I'm looking to get another Splotter game.

I see Indonesia and The Great Zimbabwe are due for reprint but I mainly play 2 players and I don't think 2 players is particularly good with either of them is it?

Zimbabwe is good with 2, can't say about Indonesia though.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

MrDru posted:

what's the hive mind opinion on archipelago?

It's a great game, but a demanding one. My biggest issue is that it doesn't end with newbies. I've played three games and I'm convinced that if I weren't there to deliberately end the game, they'd still be going. Some end game triggers, like distributing explore tokens, are inevitable. But others aren't, like building 4 ports when each player only sees the need for one port or one market. Or emptying multiple resources from the bank when players can barely keep up with crises. Good luck building four ports by yourself to end the game.

the panacea
May 10, 2008

Rutibex posted:

It's not cooperative though if I remember it correctly.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

the panacea posted:

It's not cooperative though if I remember it correctly.

It's 1 vs many

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

PerniciousKnid posted:

It's a great game, but a demanding one. My biggest issue is that it doesn't end with newbies. I've played three games and I'm convinced that if I weren't there to deliberately end the game, they'd still be going. Some end game triggers, like distributing explore tokens, are inevitable. But others aren't, like building 4 ports when each player only sees the need for one port or one market. Or emptying multiple resources from the bank when players can barely keep up with crises. Good luck building four ports by yourself to end the game.

Great but demanding is probably the best description. It's one of those types of games that I'm coming across more and more often that are tough enough to try and get a good grasp of with my ever-patient GF (let alone teach) but eventually we slog through and enjoy the experience. At the same time though, there are so many quicker, less dense games that don't tick all the boxes that Archipelago does but are way easier to set up and teach newcomers. My advice would to be play it a few times to figure out the mechanics solidly so that you aren't humming and hawing when someone asks you a question that is intuitive to a veteran but obtuse to a newbie. I guess this advice could apply to every game but because Archipelago is so dense and such a time commitment compared to the majority of games I feel comfortable getting onto the table I think there's an onus on the teacher really knowing this one inside and out for a smooth experience.

SirFelixCat
Apr 8, 2016

Esposito posted:

what was the freak accident?

Car wreck while returning from dinner via Uber cab. More details in our HeavyCon recap next episode.

SirFelixCat
Apr 8, 2016

Heisenberg1276 posted:

Indonesia is only a 3-5p game. Period. TGZ we enjoy 2-4 (or is it 5...been a bit there). Thoroughly love both games, but if only 2p, TGZ, Antiquity, or R&B are your options.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

On bank holiday Monday we played Space Team (the board game) and Panic on Wall Street. Panic on Wall Street is good but it doesn't really work with 3/4. On the other hand, Space Team was good, really good and I'm glad I kickstarted it. I sorta changed the rules though (I know, I'm not a fan of houserules either, but it's a silly light game), where the final spaceship pieces needed to win the game were always the last card in people's malfuction/anomaly deck. This lead to really tense buzzer-beaters instead of lucking into finding the cards early.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Tekopo posted:

On bank holiday Monday we played Space Team (the board game) and Panic on Wall Street. Panic on Wall Street is good but it doesn't really work with 3/4. On the other hand, Space Team was good, really good and I'm glad I kickstarted it. I sorta changed the rules though (I know, I'm not a fan of houserules either, but it's a silly light game), where the final spaceship pieces needed to win the game were always the last card in people's malfuction/anomaly deck. This lead to really tense buzzer-beaters instead of lucking into finding the cards early.

I just got my copy of Panic and cannot wait to get it out. When you say 3/4 do you mean three managers four investors? Or do you mean you played with 3 to 4 people?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

FulsomFrank posted:

I just got my copy of Panic and cannot wait to get it out. When you say 3/4 do you mean three managers four investors? Or do you mean you played with 3 to 4 people?
Playing with 3 or 4 players. You end up with both roles (manager and investor)but what ends up happening is "if I get that blue company for 10 I'll give you my blue for 10"

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Tekopo posted:

Panic on Wall Street / Masters of Commerce (same game) are better the more players you have AND orders of magnitude better with an odd player count vs even. I would only play it with 7/9/11 players. With any of those player counts it's one of the best 1 hour games.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Seems like most of my high player count games are team games, maybe I should get Panic just for odd counts.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

PerniciousKnid posted:

Seems like most of my high player count games are team games, maybe I should get Panic just for odd counts.

MoC/PoWS is seriously one of the best party games I've ever played. The ONLY hesitation I have in recommending it besides the player count is that you WILL be making lots of noise during the 5 2-minute 'negotiation' (read: shouting) phases. If you can't yell at someone across the table without turning heads/getting in trouble, this is not the game for you.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Rutibex posted:

The art style is anime, the theme is time travel. Two different things, just like Munchkin and Magic both have fantasy themes despite their vastly different art styles.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Eh, all of the cases and characters are Anime tropes as well. Alien School Girls? That's about as anime themed as it gets. Art conveys theme as much or more than mechanics for most people.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Bottom Liner posted:

Eh, all of the cases and characters are Anime tropes as well. Alien School Girls? That's about as anime themed as it gets. Art conveys theme as much or more than mechanics for most people.

Excuse me, but the alien doesn't have the Student tag, so she's not a school girl :goonsay:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Have there been any first impressions posted of the Dark Souls game? The node-based movement, and the stam resource system are both very intriguing, but the dice based combat has me a little nervous.