Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

well, i already had the "H" on my phone whenever i was on mobilicity's data so i guess same old crap but worse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

I don't much notice the throttling with wind when I go over my limit but that's probably because their regular speeds are pure poo poo to begin with.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Godinster posted:

If you like HSPA [not HSPA+] data that's artificially throttled, yeah it's a thing

So just like the unlimited plans from Wind and Mobi, then!

edit: that'll teach me to reply before reading the two posts on the new page.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

http://www.chrisd.ca/2016/05/19/manitoba-rogers-wireless-prices-increase/

It begins.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Like clockwork.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Is that for new customers, or do existing customers not get grandfathered in?

If Koodo fucks up my SKMB I'll be hella mad.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Telecoms can't legally change an existing contract without express permission, and that includes through upgrades and renewals. So, uh, don't let your contacts expire.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
Going to Ireland for a couple of weeks next month and getting some temporary pay as you go sim cards and now I'm sad.

10 euros for a month of free calling/texting and 5gigs of data. 25 euros for 20gigs

Ugggh

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

grack posted:

Telecoms can't legally change an existing contract without express permission

You say that as if that stops them.

:thumbsup:

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Jan posted:

You say that as if that stops them.

:thumbsup:

I've never had a problem with Fido but I'm guessing the big three would try and do so if you so much as thought about it while talking to a CSR on the phone.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

"But Pallister says the deal will lead to faster Internet and cellphone speeds, as well as increased coverage areas.
He says prices will probably increase, but goods and services often cost more when quality improves."

What a slimy cocksucker. gently caress him. I hope he chokes.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

Squibbles posted:

Going to Ireland for a couple of weeks next month and getting some temporary pay as you go sim cards and now I'm sad.

10 euros for a month of free calling/texting and 5gigs of data. 25 euros for 20gigs

Ugggh

What the gently caress. My mother's in Ireland right now, and she ended up doing a Bell international thing. Here's what they offered her:
    Option #1 - $10/day
  • Unlmited incoming/outgoing local calls and calls back to Canada
  • Unlimited incoming/outgoing texts
  • 100MB data/day (add another 100MB for $10)

Option #2 - $60/30days
  • 100 minutes combined minutes for local calls or calls to Canada
  • 200 texts
  • 200MB data

Option #3 - Pay per use
  • Calls made from Ireland - $2/min
  • Data in Ireland - $8/MB
  • Texts sent from Ireland - $0.75/text
I have no idea what she picked, but gently caress this gay earth country.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
^ Cellular in Canada was always expensive, but it seems like in the last few years they really took the 'gently caress you' to a new level.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Canadian cellular is basically just playing a game of pricing & caps Jenga balanced on the forehead of a sleeping CRTC. The execs from each company take turns yanking away pieces, raising the stack and giggling while hoping not to be the ones that cause their racket to topple on this incredible decades long run they've had going.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
For roaming that's actually cheaper than a few years ago, even.

It used to be $30.72/mb for data and they'd charge you for both incoming and outgoing texts.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

shadow puppet of a posted:

Canadian cellular is basically just playing a game of pricing & caps Jenga balanced on the forehead of a sleeping CRTC. The execs from each company take turns yanking away pieces, raising the stack and giggling while hoping not to be the ones that cause their racket to topple on this incredible decades long run they've had going.

Honestly I wonder if the skinny basic crap which has somehow got the CRTC to act a second time won't make them maybe change.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Lexicon posted:

^ Cellular in Canada was always expensive, but it seems like in the last few years they really took the 'gently caress you' to a new level.

I think they are doing swell friends, please pay full price for all their services.

BCE $45.23 > $60.82 :woop:
CGO $46.00 > $55.00
RCI.B $46.78 > $50.58
T $36.84 > $41.22

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

At least my investment account is doing well

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I think I worked it out once and it was something like $15-20k of shares from the carrier to have the satisfaction of the dividend payout covering the cost of my cell bill so they aren't getting a dime from me, almost seemed worth it.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Rogers seemed to roll out 6.0 for the Note 5 yesterday, I got prompted at work. But, when I got home to wifi later last night, and went to update, it was gone. So they I guess they found a pull-worthy bug that they didn't find in several months of delay and testing? :negative:

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
Try plugging it into Smart Switch on a computer. Their OTA servers were probably overloaded.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I'll try that at home, thanks. Still no OTA update available on the phone, as of 5 minutes ago.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
I got it for the Note 4 Monday morning

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
Looks like Virgin, Fido, and Koodo, are doing their Unlimited/2gb Data for $40 plan again. Probably as a Canada day specialty.

Though it says for new contracts only, I'm fairly sure (as it's been done previously) if you call them and say "Gimme or I'll move" they'll comply.

Get in on it quick.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Migishu posted:

Looks like Virgin, Fido, and Koodo, are doing their Unlimited/2gb Data for $40 plan again. Probably as a Canada day specialty.

Though it says for new contracts only, I'm fairly sure (as it's been done previously) if you call them and say "Gimme or I'll move" they'll comply.

Get in on it quick.

1gb for $40, 2gb for $50 isn't it?

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum
Koodo's version is for both old and new customers (Fido too, looks like?) and I'm only seeing unlimited minutes in some but not all provinces.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
Oh gently caress right, forgot that I'm in Quebec so ymmv :goleft:

Sorry to get hopes up

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum
I switched plans shortly after you posted about it, and now that people are getting home from the workday the Koodo site is so rammed that friends I told can't even log in fully.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
Switched plans on Koodo no problem in alberta, process was quick and speedy.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Haha I just wanted to make sure because I signed up for the $50 2gig plan last week. I can't tell you how good it feels to be done with loving wind.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/iamthejeff/status/746477133162156032

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I've been on Mobilicity for years now at $44.80/mo with "unlimited" (2 gb/mo then throttled to usable but not great speeds) data, unlimited texting across north america, and unlimited long distance across north america. Has anyone heard any rumblings about that going away now that Rogers bought them and apparently/might be folding them into chatr? Or alternatively, if I can finally get a real fast signal (4G/H+/etc) on Rogers infrastructure instead of limping along on HSPA?

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

We can keep dreaming. We're definitely getting moved to chatr and they'll probably keep us on the bad network. It'll probably cost way more too.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Acer Pilot posted:

We can keep dreaming. We're definitely getting moved to chatr and they'll probably keep us on the bad network. It'll probably cost way more too.

Can't recall where I read it but I recall someone definitively saying that it would be bad network or switch to Rogers.

I might just bail on Wind. I don't really notice the throttling because the normal speeds are so bad.

Just 2 gigs tho...

E: to clarify that is that you have to stay with chatr or pay Rogers' absurd prices. You theoretically be able to keep your plan but I don't see them offering them to new customers.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Oh boy. Mobilicirogers has taken away direct bank bill payment options. Why? No reason given, other than probably not being able to soak you for a "convenience charge". Guess I'll have to take a half day off every month to go to the one mobilicity store near me that's actually open.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

JoelJoel posted:

Can't recall where I read it but I recall someone definitively saying that it would be bad network or switch to Rogers.

I might just bail on Wind. I don't really notice the throttling because the normal speeds are so bad.

Just 2 gigs tho...

E: to clarify that is that you have to stay with chatr or pay Rogers' absurd prices. You theoretically be able to keep your plan but I don't see them offering them to new customers.

I think winds suitability depends on location. In Toronto it's really good for the most part. In London tho it took me 20 minutes or more to upload a picture message.

I decided I'll just be better about using data; having lte is so worth it.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

mediaphage posted:

I think winds suitability depends on location. In Toronto it's really good for the most part. In London tho it took me 20 minutes or more to upload a picture message.

I decided I'll just be better about using data; having lte is so worth it.

It was the opposite for me, perfectly fine in Waterloo and unusable trash in downtown Toronto.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Wind is decent in and around Toronto but the speeds can range from decent (play a YouTube video with very minor loading at the start) to comically slow (several minutes to load comments on a forum app).

I'm torn because having used lte I know what I'm missing. On the other hand I average about 8 gigs a month and have never had a bill over 45 bucks.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Ensign Expendable posted:

It was the opposite for me, perfectly fine in Waterloo and unusable trash in downtown Toronto.

Haha it was always mediocre for me in KW, but there's a lot of variation that goes into it. It's definitely a plus in Toronto now if you take the subway for a long commute.

JoelJoel posted:

Wind is decent in and around Toronto but the speeds can range from decent (play a YouTube video with very minor loading at the start) to comically slow (several minutes to load comments on a forum app).

I'm torn because having used lte I know what I'm missing. On the other hand I average about 8 gigs a month and have never had a bill over 45 bucks.

To be honest it isn't even the LTE that I really appreciate, it's just the stability. I could have 5 bars of 3G and it would still be unforgivably bad. It was just so, so frustrating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Okay, so say I'm ready to try this Virgin Mobile deal. Do I just pay the $50 Bell wants for unlocking? That seems steep and I haven't really been paying attention to this poo poo.

I do kinda need a new phone anyway and was going to drop by the Sony store while I'm down south for the week, but apparently they were all shut down.