Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
So Zombie Mountain vs Loras, Hound, the three sand snakes or I guess there only two that are fast swimmer/mermaids, Arya, Shame Nun, and Lancel. Sounds legit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Why would a "Trial of the Seven" be all combat? The Warrior is but one god, clearly there should be seven different trials, representing each god's domain?

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
Strong show by the Mountain in the fighting round, let's see if he can keep up the pressure during the cooking challenge!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Why would a "Trial of the Seven" be all combat? The Warrior is but one god, clearly there should be seven different trials, representing each god's domain?

The Mountain is challenged to spare the last combatant to show (Mother's) Mercy, he just looks back and forth shiftily and starts sweating followed by a smash cut to Ramsay doing a thing.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Not Operator posted:

Strong show by the Mountain in the fighting round, let's see if he can keep up the pressure during the cooking challenge!

I anxiously await the swimwear round and the questions about The Iraq Meereen

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Because its a tradition of the Andals and they were a warrior race of conquerors. Its not like the Gods came down and said "look, here's what we want you to do."

Dude, that's how it is. If you want to know the why of it, go read the books GRRM wrote about Westeros' history, or dig through the wiki.

The Trial of the Seven has already been depicted in other books; its just a straight 7v7 melee. Trust me.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends

Trent posted:

I anxiously await the swimwear round and the questions about The Iraq Meereen

Moderator - "Zombie Mountain, Daenerys Stormborn has been called, 'The Breaker of Chains' for her actions in Mereen, but there are those that call her 'tyrant' and 'conqueror'. How would you spread monarchy in the East?"

ZM - "Mountain would.... smash and subjugate."

Zombie Stannis - "Oh, come on, he stole my answer!"

sorry

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Medieval england had all sorts of weird names - Rob, Bob and Bert from Robert make sense, but there was Robard, Dobbin, Hob, Rab, Hab, Dob. The fact that his names are readily understandable puts him ahead of literally every fantasy author since Tolkein. [/hyperbole]

Standardized spelling wasn't a thing for many, many years. There was literally no "valid" spelling of a name for a very long time.

Jaime is as good as Jayme or Jamey in medieval Europe.

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Trial by combat is probably going to be Sparrow naming Loras, or maybe the aforementioned rule nitpicking, or possibly naming Tommen as the champion (Cersei's enemy of sorts, and that one witch told her all her kids would die so yeah), or maybe Sandor because he's been working as a grave digger and the Sparrow knows it already and thus Cleganbowl.

Bronn seriously needs to come back this season by the way

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

AHH FUGH posted:

Bronn seriously needs to come back this season by the way

Watch the preview for the next episode.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.
Guys it literally doesn't matter who the Sparrow chooses. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwqkX2xYdos&t=51s

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Blazing Ownager posted:

Standardized spelling wasn't a thing for many, many years. There was literally no "valid" spelling of a name for a very long time.

Jaime is as good as Jayme or Jamey in medieval Europe.

That too! Like how Shakespeare never spelled his name the same way.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Bobo the Red posted:

Clearly you meant "Get your things, silly"

Given that Pycellle is the drat Grand Maester, it's hard to picture the Citadel as a particularly well run or selective establishment. They're also, at least in theory, a service organization, so deliberately keeping knowledge from the future Maester of the Night's Watch would be super weird.

Sam is one of a few people in the whole world that understand the real value of Valyrian steel as a weapon against the White Walkers. Why do we need another reason for him to take the sword?

The Grand Maester is a prestigious but ultimately powerless position, because while you might be the Grand Maester, you're serving the King constantly, unable to go back to Old Town and the Citadel, where the Archmaesters are actually running the show.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

marktheando posted:

I will always remember that one random Lannister soldier because of the poster ITT who thought he was Kevan Lannister.

My favorite random Lannister soldier is the one who thinks,"IMMA HELP!" during the Ned/Jaime fight in season 1 and stabs Ned in the leg.

Either that or the two guys sitting around shooting the poo poo about who the best fighter in the 7 Kingdoms is before suddenly getting their throats torn out by Robb's Direwolf.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Zaphod42 posted:

Because its a tradition of the Andals and they were a warrior race of conquerors. Its not like the Gods came down and said "look, here's what we want you to do."

Dude, that's how it is. If you want to know the why of it, go read the books GRRM wrote about Westeros' history, or dig through the wiki.

The Trial of the Seven has already been depicted in other books; its just a straight 7v7 melee. Trust me.
They should just change it then, since the show is not the books.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Super Deuce posted:

Guys it literally doesn't matter who the Sparrow chooses. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwqkX2xYdos&t=51s

"I choose King Tommen" - Sparrow

"gently caress" - Cersei

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

Jerusalem posted:

My favorite random Lannister soldier is the one who thinks,"IMMA HELP!" during the Ned/Jaime fight in season 1 and stabs Ned in the leg.

Either that or the two guys sitting around shooting the poo poo about who the best fighter in the 7 Kingdoms is before suddenly getting their throats torn out by Robb's Direwolf.

He did help! Either Jaime was gonna kill Ned, which would have made Robert flip, or Ned would've killed him

That guy, and Howland Reed, were the only two soldiers with any drat sense. He even had a spear! How many lives have been lost because soldiers refuse to use spears?

DopeGhoti
May 24, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Bobo the Red posted:

How many lives have been lost because soldiers refuse to use spears?

Certainly none in Mereen.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Guys you can't compel someone to fight for you in a trial by combat. The combatant has to agree.

And I don't really see Tommen agreeing to a fight to the death in the first place, much less one that: if he loses, he dies, and if he wins, his mother dies. I know he's been shown to be gullible and all, but that's a bit too much to swallow.

Loras seems the best bet, assuming his scene with Margery wasn't just to give her motivation. After that, I'd predict Lancel. Either one would easily be trounced by The Mountain. The first option would pit the Tyrells against the Lannisters (kind of redundant, at this point), and the second would cause civil unrest within the Lannister ranks.

Maybe we'll all be surprised, but the Tommen thing is quite a stretch.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I really want it to be Lancel so that dumb rear end in a top hat gets comeuppance for being an idiot.

A brainwashed Loras would be really sad.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

The Trial by Combat will be a triple threat ladder match

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011
I know Gilly's meant to kind of be a semi-retarded inbred but I hate her scenes. The actress comes across like she's in a school play and her friends are in the audience so she doesn't want to look like she's ugh trying

Hopefully she's in the middle of another gormless line with the wrong tone and emphasis when Randall Tarly suddenly cracks her vacant head open from behind at full gallop, and kicks Sam's fat rear end to death into the bargain

I don't want the fanfare or emotional farewell we'd inevitably get what with them being the show's pet in-universe viewers, I just want her to die quickly and silently

Captain Diarrhoea fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jun 2, 2016

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

yikes.

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011
I mean she could choke on a biscuit in the background of a scene, stumble into a puddle and forget how to stand back up. She could go to work in the Tarly kitchens and accidentally bake herself into a pie, anything. I'm not saying anything jarring needs to happen here

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
3/10 trying too hard. Needs more build-up. Remedial trolling lessons required.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

She could have a baby that straightened her teeth. Pregnancy does all kinds of wild things to girls' bodies.

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011

Xanderkish posted:

3/10 trying too hard. Needs more build-up. Remedial trolling lessons required.

You're deluded and too absorbed in internet culture and this is coming from a dude who is posting here, I'm just calling for the death of a tv show character I don't like on a tv show full of deaths

Also I doubt Gilly from GoT is some kind of hot topic sensitive issue or even very popular amongst viewers

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Captain Diarrhoea posted:

You're deluded and too absorbed in internet culture and this is coming from a dude who is posting here, I'm just calling for the death of a tv show character I don't like on a tv show full of deaths

Also I doubt Gilly from GoT is some kind of hot topic sensitive issue or even very popular amongst viewers

2/10 lobbing ineffective and clearly defensive insults because don't like being found out as a troll.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
Is this worse than anime swords? You be the judge.

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
King Tut's dagger was found to be made out of a meteorite. Are the splurges ready for this one?

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Bobo the Red posted:

That guy, and Howland Reed, were the only two soldiers with any drat sense. He even had a spear! How many lives have been lost because soldiers refuse to use spears?

It wouldn't have happened if Ned had a spear.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

JollyPubJerk posted:

King Tut's dagger was found to be made out of a meteorite. Are the splurges ready for this one?

Does it glow?

Manic Mailman
Jul 2, 2004
High sparrow is going to pick that guy the Hound killed and then came back to life.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Manic Mailman posted:

High sparrow is going to pick that guy the Hound killed and then came back to life.

The Faith of the Seven chooses you: the repeatedly resurrected servant of a completely different God in a completely different pantheon.

If they're going to let a non-believer rep them, dispatch a raven to Castle Black. The Mountain vs. Wun Wun.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Splurges

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Bobo the Red posted:

Sam is going to go around stealing Valyrian swords to have them reformed into a hundreds of spears.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
More like, Gendry will make thousands of Valyrian steel bodkin point arrows and bolts.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

They should just change it then, since the show is not the books.

Yeah but do you really want to watch people compete based on cooking and poo poo or do you want to watch a 7 on 7 battle royale cage match?

Lycus posted:

I really want it to be Lancel so that dumb rear end in a top hat gets comeuppance for being an idiot.

A brainwashed Loras would be really sad.

Agreed on both counts :smith: So it'll probably be Loras.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah but do you really want to watch people compete based on cooking and poo poo or do you want to watch a 7 on 7 battle royale cage match?

It can't be both?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Red posted:

It can't be both?

Touché

• Locked thread