Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

I know not a lot about overwatch and haven't played a fps since the original team fortress game. Is there a good baby's first offensive player I should be while I figure out the genre? I'll be mostly playing with a group of 5 other pals so I figure they can carry me while I am learning not to be terrible!

You like rockets? Pharah.

You like assault rifles? Soldier.

McCree is a valid pick too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

I know not a lot about overwatch and haven't played a fps since the original team fortress game. Is there a good baby's first offensive player I should be while I figure out the genre? I'll be mostly playing with a group of 5 other pals so I figure they can carry me while I am learning not to be terrible!

soldier 76 is simple and pretty self sufficient. he can heal himself, is the fastest character while sprinting, has a good primary that's not hard to use since it's just an assault rifle, and his grenade launcher is great for burst damage

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

For Offense, I would say Solder 76 is pretty easy to play. He can sprint, his weapon is accurate at mid-long range in bursts, he can heal himself in a pinch. His Ultimate power is that he cannot miss.

Zarya question: Is there a way to judge range with her weapon? I keep trying to fire at people who are to far away.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I really don't feel like Symmetra is ever a good pick now. She's way too easy to shut down. If your team is doing good she can flourish but the second you start to struggle she crumbles. Turrets go down super easily and don't replenish at a fast enough rate for her to cover much area with them. Her only mechanic for coming back is the fast respawns with the teleporters...except the teleporter is easily blown up by a flanking offense class. She doesn't get any charge while its up either.

I used to do really good with her but now I always feel like I could be doing better as another class and switch off her the second the game goes south. It sucks.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Teleporter is the best ultimate in the game on defense, so

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Probably terrible D.Va buff idea: let her right-click to detonate her ult early, increase the time before it explodes naturally by 1-2 seconds.

Herbotron
Feb 25, 2013

teraflame posted:

How do you play D. Va? I don't get her purpose, she's supposedly a tank but has a huge crit hurtbox that's extremely easy to hit especially when shooting people. So the mech pretty much dies fast unless I boost out and even defense matrix won't save me most of the time.

Annoy the poo poo out of widows, get behind or to the side of people, fly away to a health pack as soon as they shoot you and come back five seconds later. It's really hard to get burst down 1v1. She's more of a beefy flanker than a proper tank. She's terrible unless you really take advantage of that mobility: turn it into free hits and health. Boost right before you Q most of the time. Also, she has really good skins, don't forget to take advantage of that.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Soldier 76. He has a gun, bullets come out of the end. Right click shoots a kinda mediocre rocket, E drops a little healing zone, and shift lets you sprint.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Internet Kraken posted:

I really don't feel like Symmetra is ever a good pick now. She's way too easy to shut down. If your team is doing good she can flourish but the second you start to struggle she crumbles. Turrets go down super easily and don't replenish at a fast enough rate for her to cover much area with them. Her only mechanic for coming back is the fast respawns with the teleporters...except the teleporter is easily blown up by a flanking offense class. She doesn't get any charge while its up either.

I used to do really good with her but now I always feel like I could be doing better as another class and switch off her the second the game goes south. It sucks.

i haven't been playing her long but to me, the best way to put down the turrets is to hide them. Find small enclosed spaces the enemy will try to flank through and put them up high, or low, or somewhere they aren't going to get spotted as easy. Over the doorway they have to walk through always works I find.

As for the teleporter, just put it a few paces back to where the action is currently happening. Where the enemy isn't going to come through.

Shes a defensive support. And I fricking love playing her.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

BigRed0427 posted:

i haven't been playing her long but to me, the best way to put down the turrets is to hide them. Find small enclosed spaces the enemy will try to flank through and put them up high, or low, or somewhere they aren't going to get spotted as easy. Over the doorway they have to walk through always works I find.

As for the teleporter, just put it a few paces back to where the action is currently happening. Where the enemy isn't going to come through.

Shes a defensive support. And I fricking love playing her.

No poo poo the best way to use the turrets is to hide them. That doesn't keep them from being blown up easily once they do know where they are, and they don't replenish fast enough to replace them. Also AOE spam just blows up the turrets through walls sometimes so even when you are hiding them a Pharah or Junkrat can blow a bunch up without even trying.

And I specifically mentioned flanking offense classes for a reason. Classes like Tracer and Reaper can sneak behind lines on most maps pretty easily, and if they are actually competent they will look for your teleporter.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

CodfishCartographer posted:

Probably terrible D.Va buff idea: let her right-click to detonate her ult early, increase the time before it explodes naturally by 1-2 seconds.

This would be awful because it would be way too easy to guarantee a triple/quad kill just by boosting into the enemy team and killing yourself by activating it instantly while still inside. It would always be worth it and there would be basically no way to defend against it except "always be incredibly spread out".

They just need to remove the slow on her weapons and she'll be solid.

Herbotron
Feb 25, 2013

Tequila Sunrise posted:

This would be awful because it would be way too easy to guarantee a triple/quad kill just by boosting into the enemy team and killing yourself by activating it instantly while still inside. It would always be worth it and there would be basically no way to defend against it except "always be incredibly spread out".

They just need to remove the slow on her weapons and she'll be solid.

It would also stop Reinhardt from shoving it back into your face.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

BigRed0427 posted:

Zarya question: Is there a way to judge range with her weapon? I keep trying to fire at people who are to far away.

I have really locked in with Zarya. The name of the game is that if they aren't right up in your face, use M2 and play like a demoman.

Beam if you have someone up in your grill - bascially right in front of you. Otherwise launch the grenades into groups and chokepoints. M2 is your primary.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Internet Kraken posted:

Wrong again fucker

https://twitter.com/Inoukaami/status/737749763588820995

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Herbotron posted:

It would also stop Reinhardt from shoving it back into your face.

In the majority of cases you should not be just zooming along the ground before ejecting. Just pop it up so it glides downward and he can't do that. Though to be fair I like to bait them out doing it sometimes so I can watch him and pretend he is whispering something dramatic to himself in his final moments.

"Vill I dream?"

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

You know what's cool?

Walking through a reinhardt shield as Roadhog and just blasting that nazi war machine in the goddamn face with your scrap cannon.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Tequila Sunrise posted:

In the majority of cases you should not be just zooming along the ground before ejecting. Just pop it up so it glides downward and he can't do that. Though to be fair I like to bait them out doing it sometimes so I can watch him and pretend he is whispering something dramatic to himself in his final moments.

"Vill I dream?"

That made me sad for some reason. Reinhardt is a cool guy :saddowns:

Grammaton
Feb 3, 2004
Cleric
I love Symmetra and pick her every time on defense. I know I'm not supposed to main but this is true love.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Countblanc posted:

You get lots of portrait upgrades as you level

1590!!111 :zenpop::zenpop::zenpop::zenpop:

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Internet Kraken posted:

Yeah, Symmetra is really only as good as your team's ability to hold the first point and you should switch off of her if it's lost (or, on KotH maps, if your team is unable to push the enemy away from the capture point on the first try). I place turrets in pairs because it's easier to replace two turrets than 3+.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Just ran into my first elite-tier Geni player...wow.

I don't think any team I've been on has been dominated that hard since running into a MLG-playing sniper on TF2

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Away all Goats posted:

I don't think any team I've been on has been dominated that hard since running into a MLG-playing sniper on TF2

That's when you switch to Mccree and learn to land the flash on the ground next to him.
Even the best Genji's eventually fall to a well placed Flash+FAN combo, and a lot of them usually try to go for the reflect bait.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
https://twitter.com/ReaperNames/status/737023911439806464/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc

This is a Twitter account dedicated to interesting Reaper names who get POTG.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
Getting environmental kills as Lucio and Pharah is pretty fun, but I've become addicted to going for them with Roadhog's hook. Not as many places to set it up, but it makes me laugh every time.

http://i.imgur.com/0ArZu5Y.gifv

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
I just got a Sharpshooter PotG as Junkrat. Amazing.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Away all Goats posted:

Go McCree, Mei or Winston. Genji is amazing but those three characters basically shut him down totally if you are half decent at them.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Ragequit posted:

I just got a Sharpshooter PotG as Junkrat. Amazing.

What? What's that even mean

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

verbal enema posted:

What? What's that even mean

I don't know what it bases off of, but sometimes a title appears at the bottom of a PotG. I somehow got Sharpshooter as Junkrat for smooth grenade and concussion mine skills I guess. Not something I would expect to happen with that class.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

the best part is he was spamming grenades at people like 5 feet outside our spawn door and missing them all

sharpshooter indeed

(we got hella rolled I guess there were just no good highlights for anybody)

Clockwork Beast!
Jan 18, 2007

Clockwork beast! Clockwork beast! We're doomed!

Ragequit posted:

I don't know what it bases off of, but sometimes a title appears at the bottom of a PotG. I somehow got Sharpshooter as Junkrat for smooth grenade and concussion mine skills I guess. Not something I would expect to happen with that class.

Sometimes PotG isn't just kills; sharpshooter is high damage at range, there's savior for killing people around low HP teammates, shutdown for cancelling enemy ults, and a couple others I think.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
My favs are a potg where the game goes "eh w/e I blind picked this take it or leave it"

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
They just need to delete Widowmaker from the game. Once you reach a certain level you constantly queue into people who might as well be aimhacking and it's no fun to play the game. It's complete anti-fun to be killed by someone who one shots you from a mile away where you have no recourse. Why do game developers think snipers are fun in FPSs?

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

It's amazing how needlessly scared pubbies are of turrets. Playing as Torb on Hollywood offense, we're in the home stretch pushing the car into the parking space at the very end and we've just taken out three of their team. I set a lvl. 1 turret over near those stairs to the right of the parking space to plink them as they come back. Not only do all 3 of them bum rush the turret, completely neglecting to contest the payload as it slides into home and gives us the win, but Winston drops a shield generator on the turret, presumably to contain this awesome engine of destruction so they can safely make their approach.

Edit: also when I use molten core, they always focus all their fire on the turret, completely ignoring the tiny glowing man rushing at them whose basically become Reaper with a tank's armor for the next few seconds.

Baby Babbeh fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jun 2, 2016

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Source your quotes

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Windowmaker is overpowered, but if it's a huge problem just swap into Winston or D.Va. Both are crazy good at just displacing them. Even if you can't kill them outright disrupting them and putting the fear of god into them is usually enough to stop them.

Also, why hasn't anyone made some sort of gif about Widowmaker putting down Winston because a child fell into his lair?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Do you like having a lot of health and not having to aim? Go Winston. The silverback is all about mobility between his jetpack, and his dome shield he can dance in and out of (allies can shoot through it, enemies can't shoot in or out of it). He's a great harrasser

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

FAUXTON posted:

You know what's cool?

Walking through a reinhardt shield as Roadhog and just blasting that nazi war machine in the goddamn face with your scrap cannon.

More people really should do this. A lot of Reinhardts just stand there and draw fire while the teams scurry around him trading shots. If no one is paying attention to you, just walk up next to him and stick your gun in his kidneys. I've killed a lot of Reinhardts as Lucio because they get focused on blocking your team's main attack, and don't notice the little skater dude scooting around to blast them from behind their own shield.

Grammaton posted:

I love Symmetra and pick her every time on defense. I know I'm not supposed to main but this is true love.

Symmetra owns because if you ever manage to get a Play of the Game, it's guaranteed to be completely amazing.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Tequila Sunrise posted:

Windowmaker is overpowered, but if it's a huge problem just swap into Winston or D.Va. Both are crazy good at just displacing them. Even if you can't kill them outright disrupting them and putting the fear of god into them is usually enough to stop them.

Also, why hasn't anyone made some sort of gif about Widowmaker putting down Winston because a child fell into his lair?

https://vine.co/u/1349938881105178624

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Tequila Sunrise posted:

She's still anti-fun if i have to switch to a dumb monkey who walks around with a lovely electric gun getting shot in the face rather than play a fun champ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

verbal enema posted:

My favs are a potg where the game goes "eh w/e I blind picked this take it or leave it"

pm me ur bnet id u dweeb