Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Thanks friends. I still loving hate PDFs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

RBA Starblade posted:

So the thousandth prompt to upgrade to Windows 10 came in, and I exited out. Then my computer started to shut down to install Windows 10. I declined the terms of agreement after the hour of installing it took and it reverted to 7, but what the gently caress? No means no. Is that going to happen again?

Look man, Windows 10 is THE next version of Windows for the foreseeable future. It's not going to be a Win 8 type situation. Just embrace it, there is no point fighting.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
also windows 10 is really good

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

redeyes posted:

Look man, Windows 10 is THE next version of Windows for the foreseeable future. It's not going to be a Win 8 type situation. Just embrace it, there is no point fighting.
Alternatively: Stay on 7 if you want to, it's ok, but you'll have to be vigilant about it and nothing lasts forever (2020).

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

doctorfrog posted:

Alternatively: Stay on 7 if you want to, it's ok, but you'll have to be vigilant about it and nothing lasts forever (2020).

Until an alternative presents itself to my HDHomeRun + Windows Media Center + Media Center Extenders as cable boxes, I'm stuck on 7. Kodi is close, but any DRM channels like HBO can't be watched so a no go. :(

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

RBA Starblade posted:

So the thousandth prompt to upgrade to Windows 10 came in, and I exited out. Then my computer started to shut down to install Windows 10. I declined the terms of agreement after the hour of installing it took and it reverted to 7, but what the gently caress? No means no. Is that going to happen again?

Yes. Stop installing updates without reading their notes. Uninstall all updates that pertain to the Windows 10 "upgrade".
No point me treading over it again, there are plenty of pages out there telling you which ones they are.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

emdash posted:

also windows 10 is really good

More like windows 10 is a pile of garbage.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Read posted:

More like windows 10 is a pile of garbage.

Windows 10 is a really good pile of garbage.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
I can't get Steam to be searchable in the start menu. It always shows up in pinned apps and does not appear under the Steam group in All Apps. If I unpin it from the start menu, it totally removes the shortcut from C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Steam. If I create a new shortcut anywhere under C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs for it, it'll pin itself but won't show up in the correct location under All Apps and won't show up when I hit the start button and type steam. I've tried reindexing under Indexing Options, no dice. Anyone have any ideas?

Edit, fixed it - created a new user profile and copied the new user's C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\TileDataLayer\Database directory over to the messed up user

wyoak fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Jun 1, 2016

Fiskiggy
Feb 15, 2005

You have impressed FFCiv with your turn time!
They turn a blind eye to the turn times of other civilizations, and your Influence over them has increased by 40.
A really good pile of garbage where you have to replace core components with your best guess of third party software

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Fiskiggy posted:

A really good pile of garbage where you have to replace core components with your best guess of third party software

Such as? I haven't replaced any core components and I'm doing fine, same as 8 and 8.1.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

hooah posted:

Such as? I haven't replaced any core components and I'm doing fine, same as 8 and 8.1.

please don't feed grognards/power users who insist that because they had to Do A Thing, the entire OS is bad

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Nearly every Windows iteration every time.

Fiskiggy
Feb 15, 2005

You have impressed FFCiv with your turn time!
They turn a blind eye to the turn times of other civilizations, and your Influence over them has increased by 40.

hooah posted:

The start menu. Of course 99% of the time you only want to hit Start and start typing, which works great until it doesn't for no discernible reason. Afaik there's no fix for the Settings/Control panel Frankenstein but I think people just got used to it since you might not recognize how absurdly shoddy it looks and feels unless you've used another OS lately.

Fiskiggy fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jun 1, 2016

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Fiskiggy posted:

The start menu. Of course 99% of the time you only want to hit Start and start typing, which works great until it doesn't for no discernible reason. Afaik there's no fix for the Settings/Control panel Frankenstein but I think people just got used to it since you might not recognize how absurdly shoddy it looks and feels unless you've used another OS lately.

The next time you hit start and type and nothing happens, pause and observe the situation. Is there an accessibility focus rectangle present? I have noticed this a couple times (outline around hamburger menu, for instance). In this case, keyboard input isn't going to search, it's going to the accessibility system. Clicking into empty space on the tiles area typically puts keyboard focus back into it so you can type and search.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Fiskiggy posted:

For my issue I didn't have to overwrite core components with third party software, I had to overwrite core components with other core components. Clearly this is good.

I just noticed a bunch of metro apps are broken (Photos, Windows Store, etc). Apparently because I use display scaling (when I have my computer going through my TV), something screwed up and Windows didn't grab all the components it needed to run so they flat don't work anymore. Hopefully some update will reenable them in the future. Or not, the photos app is the only reason I noticed it and there's a billion ways to view photos.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Fiskiggy posted:

So you're also mad about the parts that haven't changed since 7?

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
What are the actual benefits of upgrading from windows 7? I'm not being facetious. I got 10 on my 8.1 laptop last summer but I got kind of annoyed at it replacing my touchpad drivers even after I disabled hardware updates. Also win-s search has not worked since, like, October for me. Yes /user is indexed. Regardless, I do not expect many issues for my desktop, but I also cannot think of a reason to prefer 10 over 7.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

It permanently disables Windows 10 update nags.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Boot times are faster.
Resume from sleep works.
Search is faster.
Multiple virtual desktops.
Touch interface (if that's helpful).
Ribbon interface (I like it more now that I'm used to it, though it took a couple years).
Native ability to read ZIP.
Native ability to mount ISOs.
OneDrive integration.
Cortana.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
The kernel itself is faster as well.

I really love Win 10.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Never mind me, just pointless nitpicking, but native zip file reading/writing was an innovation of the late and great XP and has been there ever since, so imagine me rolling my eyes excessively and saying what the gently caress a couple of times with increasing loudness for seeing that show up in a list with reasons to upgrade to Windows 10..

That is all.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I'm pretty sure 98 had it too after an update

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Skarsnik posted:

I'm pretty sure 98 had it too after an update

I think it was first included by default in Windows 2000 and Windows ME. It was definitely available through Microsoft Plus in Windows 98.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Never saw that myself at the time, but I'll take y'all's word for it.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I'm not sure that Cortana is something I want, and it definitely annoys me that it's not optional and that I can't remove it.

Also if you use Everything.exe and it runs in the background, search is already lightning fast on NTFS volumes, and if you care about such things, it probably uses fewer resources than whatever W10 has running at all times.

fake edit: but at least I can disable it probably when the time comes to do so, he said after briefly googling 'disable microsoft cortana'

Plek
Jul 30, 2009

Ynglaur posted:

Boot times are faster.
Resume from sleep works.
Search is faster.
Multiple virtual desktops.
Touch interface (if that's helpful).
Ribbon interface (I like it more now that I'm used to it, though it took a couple years).
Native ability to read ZIP.
Native ability to mount ISOs.
OneDrive integration.
Cortana.

I have an SSD so I honestly don't care about boot times anymore.
Search in file explorer or from the search bar in the start menu? Either way, search broke on my laptop so I kind of can't expect it to keep working on desktop either.
I guess virtual desktops are neat?
Touch is actually great on the laptop! I find that it works really well and started relying on it after 10 hosed my touchpad.
I loving hate the ribbon interface on most programs and I swear it is getting worse. I suppose the one that ERDAS built is actually ok tho, I don't know why I hate office so much. I can cope.
Native zip has been around forever.
native mounting of ISOs was a thing that might have been a thing? I remember being able to read and burn them, but I can't now so having support is nice.
I haven't found a use for OneDrive yet.
Cortana hasn't worked for me very well. I guess it'd be fun to talk to my computer though.

So... it is faster, I guess. That might be nice. I suppose I will wait and see how the file explorer refresh turns out. I am not a fan of the version they have now, on 10. (I should probably retrain myself but old habits etc.)

e: The loss of update control really scares me though. Having fucky hardware drivers forced on me has not been fun.

Plek fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jun 3, 2016

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
I am planning on building a new desktop computer and installing Windows 10 Pro on it. I have created a Windows 10 Pro boot stick by using the media creation tool and will install Windows 10 on the system without an activation key. I plan on getting the key later when I verify that Windows 10 Pro will work with my system.

Am I obligated to get a retail copy of Windows 10 to activate an unactivated old Windows 10 install, or will an OEM copy work too? I am aware that one difference between the two types of Windows 10 copies is that the retail one allows you to move your Windows 10 license across multiple motherboard/cpu configurations, while the OEM does not.

edit: Nevermind, I found that the Amazon reviews of the OEM copies are really bad and a lot of people who buy the OEM copies are really getting counterfeit copies. I think I'll just buy the retail copy.

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jun 3, 2016

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Built a new PC with help from the PC Building/Upgrading/Parts-picking Megathread Reloaded and wonder if there's anything I need to include in the Win 8.1 install; any software that I should add on, something like Ninite possibly, to keep everything up to date?

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
The one thing that Windows 7 die hards might appreciate, in terms of of a daily quality of life improvement, is the Action Center. Gone are the days when random apps pop up tooltips and you're like "wait what was that" but then it disappears and you'll never know! Now those are all channeled into the new native notifications, which means they show up on the action center, and also you can mute apps & go into presentation mode/quiet hours so they don't pop up while you're in front of people or whatever.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
Windows 10 does seem faster than 7 but my measurement metric is "how do it feel" so it's not exact by any means. Boot times are way faster, even on SSD, but we're probably talking 5 seconds vs 10-15 seconds so it's not the end of the world either way.

Search is definitely better than in 7 but still can be janky. Everything isn't really a replacement for Windows search - Everything searches filenames only, Windows should be indexing the contents of your files (depending on the type). Everything is really really good at what it does though and I like it. Metro apps randomly stop working and fill my event logs with rubbish but I'm using it on a desktop so I don't really care.

I love the Office ribbon now (and the Explorer ribbon is leagues better than the old menu system) but it certainly takes getting used to. Um...DX12 is probably cool if you play games and have a rad video card.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
I didn't realize native ZIP reading has been around for so long. I stuck with 7-Zip and 7z LZMA for years and years, and just recently started using ZIPX and WinZip again.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
WinRAR is all you need

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

TenaciousTomato posted:

WinRAR is all you need

WinRAR is awful, everyone should be using 7zip. RAR isn't even good as a format, unless you're insistent on living in 2002.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

fishmech posted:

WinRAR is awful, everyone should be using 7zip. RAR isn't even good as a format, unless you're insistent on living in 2002.
RAR does have built-in recovery records, which are occasionally useful. LZMA is obviously better compression.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

fishmech posted:

RAR5 is actually not awful. it supports useful features that 7Zip doesn't have and is comparable to LZMA for compression.

b2n
Dec 29, 2005
I need a video editing software that
a) allows for screen capture (I can do it with CamStudio but I figure if I'm going to pay for video editing software anyway...)
b) make annotations. I want to be able to add text to the video, or maybe just doodle
c) allows adding a seperate sound-track

Can be expensive

Read
Dec 21, 2010

You can record your screen with OBS and mux in additional audio tracks with ffmpeg, I dunno what people use to annotate videos - you can probably just use Window Movie Maker.

A paid option is likely to subsume the latter two functions into one program, but I think most people who record their screen for a living (gaming related Youtubers) still just use OBS or Xsplit to do it?

Read fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Jun 4, 2016

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
Camtasia does all of that. Or is that what you meant by CamStudio?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martin Random
Jul 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Plek posted:

What are the actual benefits of upgrading from windows 7? I'm not being facetious. I got 10 on my 8.1 laptop last summer but I got kind of annoyed at it replacing my touchpad drivers even after I disabled hardware updates. Also win-s search has not worked since, like, October for me. Yes /user is indexed. Regardless, I do not expect many issues for my desktop, but I also cannot think of a reason to prefer 10 over 7.

None. I just bought an OEM copy of 7 to downgrade, because 10 is just that drat unusable, unpredictable, and just loving randomly non-functional. It is really, really bad. I actually re-organized a lot of my business just to avoid using native apps on this loving computer as much as possible. Even then 10 finds some way to reach into what I"m trying to do and gently caress it up.

I just dealt with four people in my lab all admitting, sheepishly, that they haven't been able to print for a month because of some proprietary windows 10 cock up with networked printers.

Oh yeah, and the whole start menu randomly failing. And the search function of that menu, pretty much the only goddamn way I can get to some files, randomly deciding that "GROOVE MUSIC" (By microsoft) is the only thing named music on my loving computer.