Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Would Win In a Fight?
This poll is closed.
Goku 59 31.38%
Luffy 15 7.98%
Ichigo 10 5.32%
Rina, from Idolmaster Cinderella Girls 104 55.32%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

HunterXHunter is every shonen rolled into one

This is the end of the line, the final evolution of shonen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Smoking Crow posted:

What about the Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun flavor of shonen

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Strange Quark posted:

What about the Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun flavor of shonen

Monthly Girl's.

Girl's.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Gekkan Shoujo.

SHOUJO.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Smoking Crow posted:

you have an incredibly narrow and weak definition of shonen

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

i counter your statement with exhibit A, my reading list of shonen romance series

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

im about to start episode 17, it'll be about 2 after that, maybe i should stop and watch the last six tomorrow, and then start s2 and s3
hmmmm

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

while staying up until 530 watching anime is appealing, there is a toddler i must help care for so i should probably sleep soon

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i always finish what i start except for no game no life or dozens of manga

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Gekkan Shoujo.

SHOUJO.

It's shonen, Zep.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Something about the perfunctory manner HxH approaches death really rubbed me the wrong way and I decided I didn't like it.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Something about the perfunctory manner HxH approaches death really rubbed me the wrong way and I decided I didn't like it.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Sakurazuka posted:

i really liked yorknew and most of the character interaction stuff but yeah hunter x hunter feels pretty weird about that kind of stuff a lot of the time, and while it's not necessarily a negative for me it's also probably part of why i haven't been in the mood to watch it lately.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Strange Quark posted:

It's shonen, Zep.

Tell me that when it's called Gekken Shounen Chiyo-chan.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Sakurazuka posted:

"Alright folks, it's time for the Hunter Exam you lovable and quirky scamps have come all this way to take."

*Hundreds die horribly.*

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i like the artwork on the steam trading cards for shinovi versus

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Bad Seafood posted:

"Alright folks, it's time for the Hunter Exam you lovable and quirky scamps have come all this way to take."

*Hundreds die horribly.*

"You may have been scared to jump down into the gorge, but now I trust you see why we enjoy doing things that will probably end in us dying horrible deaths unless we have the intuition of an eleven year old with uncanny survival instincts"

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Bad Seafood posted:

*Hundreds die horribly.*

At least the next exam had no deaths at all.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

The way the Hunter Exam is handled makes a lot more sense once you realize the two people at the top are Netero and Pariston.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Tellingly, Cheadle opted to swap out the traditional death gauntlet in favor of a formal interview system.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Bad Seafood posted:

The way the Hunter Exam is handled makes a lot more sense once you realize the two people at the top are Netero and Pariston.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

the poster exam will be brutal

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

Motto posted:

same. for the most part I have two settings: not watching anime for months and watching half a series a day

I watched all of erased in two days after not watching anime for like four months. It was alright...

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

everythingWasBees posted:

I'm going to poison everyone's drinks.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

i'm going to spend most of the first part of the exam terribly ill and end up missing the poison by sheer luck

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I'm going to put the antidote in the saltine crackers.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

it's high noon

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
HxH is consciously amoral and if you can't get on board then get off the freaking train!!

And also; better amoral than nihilistic

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

VostokProgram posted:

I'm going to put the antidote in the saltine crackers.

The saltine crackers are also laced with cyanide.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

when we got accolades and stuff for our club, i got a bunch of good ones like rookie of the year and such, but was also awarded an accolade for "managing to stay alive"
i never felt so proud

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

i'm going to spend most of the first part of the exam terribly ill and end up missing the poison by sheer luck

I'm going to mistake you for a tactical mastermind and kill myself in a poorly managed attempt on your life.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Tarranon posted:

I watched all of erased in two days after not watching anime for like four months. It was alright...

It was one of the shows that benefited more from waiting week to week for it, imo.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

I'm going to mistake you for a tactical mastermind and kill myself in a poorly managed attempt on your life.

it's a date

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

This is not my ideal idea of a date.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

The first phase will involve users trying to multipost for points, only you also get points from interrupting other people's combos, but they all have to be substantive posts or you'll be probated for thread flooding.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

Strange Quark posted:

It was one of the shows that benefited more from waiting week to week for it, imo.

Arguably like Higurashi that way. I could see that. At the very least it had some pretty great pacing and wasn't afraid to pretty clearly tip its hand to anyone paying attention

But to be truly Good to me, a series has to come together in a way that is more than the sum of its parts

But hell you guys probably already went over this a million times already

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Bad Seafood posted:

The first phase will involve users trying to multipost for points, only you also get points from interrupting other people's combos, but they all have to be substantive posts or you'll be probated for thread flooding.

I can't believe Sharky is gonna knock us all out in the first round.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I watch about one or two episodes of many anime at night. I prefer slow but steady progress, because when I binge I'll watch like 70 episodes in a few days, then not watch that show for several months before resuming.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Bad Seafood posted:

I'm going to image dump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I worked out later than usual and am still pumped up, so it looks like it's time for some 1 AM anime.

• Locked thread