Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TelekineticBear!
Feb 19, 2009

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

manager that knew how to play a 4-3-3

Not sure how Hodgson qualifies as this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Blasmeister posted:

I'm glad we decided to take a 4th choice centre forward who can't play out wide just in case. Big club mentality alive and well.

England are so bad I'm not even sure who you're referring to.

Carrier
May 12, 2009

I'm livid that Wilshire made the 23 after doing gently caress all all season and being garbage when he does get a game.

Thankfully it won't matter since

It's coming home.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
remember when england had a great defense and no good strikers. can't wait to watch england score all the goals

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Milner has been really good this year (after being shite for the first half of the season) and I'd have him starting over Wilshere and Henderson.

EC10
Jan 17, 2005

We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like NIN---PO!
Spin it any way you like but it's a total loving disgrace that a title-winning ever-present rock was dropped for that bunch of wastemen. Hodgson is an old senile retard.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Lol Spack Failqueer in the squad after playing 1 match all season. Disgrace. Awful player

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

African AIDS cum posted:

Spack Failqueer

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
its comijgn home lads

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
if you live in ...??? BELGIUM???

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Winner, SA's Sikh Of the Year, 2013
Joking aside I genuinely think England will do wheely well

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup

Insanely Sikh posted:

Joking aside I genuinely think England will do wheely well

If anything they should be outscoring every team they play. They have the best strikers in the competition

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
It'll be supply that's the problem, if anything. All the front options we're taking are quick except Kane, so good distribution and counter attacking should be the order of business, no idea if Wilshere is capable of that sort of service, or if it'll be down to Alli and the full backs?

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Ninpo posted:

It'll be supply that's the problem, if anything. All the front options we're taking are quick except Kane, so good distribution and counter attacking should be the order of business, no idea if Wilshere is capable of that sort of service, or if it'll be down to Alli and the full backs?

if only we had a midfielder experienced at these exact things.

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Winner, SA's Sikh Of the Year, 2013

Blasmeister posted:

Milner 5th best player in Europe, just ahead of Giroud

Joking aside, what's going on here is that Roy is selecting unestablished players upfront and has been forced into this at the back. To steady all that change, he's played it safe with established players in midfield. Eminently sensible man, Roy.

Young-rear end team and yeah, would've been nice to see Drinkwater rewarded but you're being gaylords about Milner, Wilshere and Hendo

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I honestly can't believe anyone is defending the decision to take Wilshere, or, to a lesser degree, Henderson.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Blasmeister posted:

Again, Drinkwater was absolutely rubbish at doing this against Australia, with arguably our fastest front three in front of him (maybe Lallana for Townsend, but gently caress off will Townsend be starting a game). He should have had more chances in previous games, but when Roy has given him a shot he didn't impress enough to dislodge the players Hodgson trusts.

Ninpo posted:

I honestly can't believe anyone is defending the decision to take Wilshere, or, to a lesser degree, Henderson.

If Wilshere is fit Hodgson was always going to pick him. He was MOTM in what, 6 of the 7 qualifiers? Drinkwater needed to prove he was better than that (in an England shirt), and unfortunately he didn't.

Henderson has never been great for England, but Roy obviously likes him and in an international tournament you are always going to be biased towards the players you are used to.

Essentially:

Insanely Sikh posted:

Joking aside, what's going on here is that Roy is selecting unestablished players upfront and has been forced into this at the back. To steady all that change, he's played it safe with established players in midfield. Eminently sensible man, Roy.

Young-rear end team and yeah, would've been nice to see Drinkwater rewarded but you're being gaylords about Milner, Wilshere and Hendo

TelekineticBear!
Feb 19, 2009

Drinkwater would usually be the typical player who does it for a team outside the established order and everyone says "Ah but he only did it to that level", see Grant Holt in 2012, but Drinkwater, actually won the loving league and in doing so showed more ability than Wilshere ever has. What do you have to do to get in the england set up? You win titles in one of the greatest upsets in history and dont get in despite being a key component of the team, it must be maddening for so many players and must disillusion them. But who gives a gently caress anyway as I supposed Drinkwater has got more premier league medals than Wilshere will ever win

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
Roy Hodgson is a loving mong

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

Wilshire and England both sponsored by Nike. Drinkwater isn't. End of.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Ninpo posted:

Yeah neither should be in the team due to form and injuries. The fact that Henderson will most likely start over Jimmy is pretty stupid too imo.

In saying that neither are terrible like some English players have been in the past.

ragle
Nov 1, 2009
England is very provincial, they'll always have a moan about the team selection for a tournament, the only surprise is it's limited to Wilshere and not something about the country lacks technical quality so they should play counter-attacking and therefore Jermain Defoe deserved to go

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Provincial are we. Just you wait till I tell the rest of the villagers.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
aren't we all, in some way, provincial?

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
This raises a question about international football that I don't know the answer to - is it better to pick a squad based on the last three months of form or a squad that you've been shaping together across years of qualifiers and friendlies?

The only objection I have is that John Stones is barely Premier League level and has the potential to actively harm the team whenever he's on the pitch

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Monday Bandele posted:

This raises a question about international football that I don't know the answer to - is it better to pick a squad based on the last three months of form or a squad that you've been shaping together across years of qualifiers and friendlies?

The only objection I have is that John Stones is barely Premier League level and has the potential to actively harm the team whenever he's on the pitch

Trying to develop players and a team at national level is dumb. Any manager interested in that kind of thing should go find a club.

For years England have been obsessed with introducing young players with "potential" into the national side, and now they're all still getting picked despite not being able to get into their club sides all season.

It can help when all the players know each other and are used to playing with one another, but it's still better to have quality players, and the countries with tiny player pools like Wales and Iceland would trade all that togetherness for as many top flight players as England have in a heartbeat.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past

sassassin posted:

It can help when all the players know each other and are used to playing with one another, but it's still better to have quality players, and the countries with tiny player pools like Wales and Iceland would trade all that togetherness for as many top flight players as England have in a heartbeat.
It's obviously not that black and white but I would say that team togetherness is as important as quality of individual players. Obviously you need both, but there have been plenty of examples of well managed national teams without superstars outperforming teams studded with stars.

Brighterday
Jun 25, 2005
RE: Wilshere. We have to remember that Wilshere has played well for England many times. Roy knows he can work with him since they've done many times before, knows he'll do what Hodgson asks of him and won't get jitters representing his country because he's been fine before. Drinkwater has this against him and it must of weighed into Hodgson thinking with a Tournament so soon he didn't want to gamble. Half the reason Rashford is in the squad is to avoid media backlash, just politics. The media bleating about Hodgson taking the wrong squad is not helpful to the players.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

sweek0 posted:

It's obviously not that black and white but I would say that team togetherness is as important as quality of individual players. Obviously you need both, but there have been plenty of examples of well managed national teams without superstars outperforming teams studded with stars.

Usually when the "stars" are all past it or out of form or were big and strong for an 18 year old so everyone assumed they had potential to become a great footballer.

Half the England team peaked at 20.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

England: Hart: Walker, Smalling, Cahill, Rose; Dier, Milner, Alli: Rooney, Vardy, Kane

That looks like Rooney and Vardy either side of Kane, and Alli in central midfield. Hopefully Rooney and Alli switch places and it's a 4-4-2 diamond, otherwise he's lost the plot (again).

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
The formation looks stupid BUT as it contains neithe Henderson nor permacrock Wilshere, it's still about as good a team as you're gonna see England put on the field this summer I'd say.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

sweek0 posted:

the way to do this is to actually keep kids who are going to be good enough for the main team in the youth setups until they're actually old enough for the main team

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Insurrectionist posted:

The formation looks stupid BUT as it contains neithe Henderson nor permacrock Wilshere, it's still about as good a team as you're gonna see England put on the field this summer I'd say.

Yeah, if you shuffle the formation around I suspect that's Hodgson's first team. Maybe Lallana or Sterling for Vardy.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

EvilHawk posted:

England: Hart: Walker, Smalling, Cahill, Rose; Dier, Milner, Alli: Rooney, Vardy, Kane

That looks like Rooney and Vardy either side of Kane, and Alli in central midfield. Hopefully Rooney and Alli switch places and it's a 4-4-2 diamond, otherwise he's lost the plot (again).

Are they all going to just stand on the backline? Code tags please

Tortuga
Aug 27, 2011

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
That is in fact the team I would pick, but with Clyne.

:Quantum leap I'm Retarded gif but with Hodgson instead of another retard:

edit: lol at Milner holding hands with a kid the same size as him

Tortuga fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jun 2, 2016

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Hmmm apparently Rooney will be playing centrally and your actually good strikers are off to the sides? A bold move.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
nani up front lol

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

We're playing Vardy and Kane either side of Rooney. Fantastic

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
Smalling is shite, yet somehow it's no longer funny to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

this is utter shite

• Locked thread