Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

I got Widowmaker's Huntress skin from a box, guess I'll actually have to play her sometime now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Pomp posted:

the best possible nerf to widow would be sane head hitboxes, because i've seen multiple killcams where i was standing just around a corner and got shot in the head with no part of me visible on the screen.

Earlier tonight I died to headshots in different matches, both of which on my screen I completely was behind a wall. On the killcam for second one my guy visible strafes screen right and blinks a half-step back to die. Guy got play of the game during that kill, and in that replay the half-step jerk back doesn't happen.

I really like this game, but the way it deals with headshots and lag seems to be trashy.

Donnerberg posted:

Sure. The problem is that the white boxes are garbage. Cut the sprays down to a fraction of what's in the game now and add ten times as many voice lines. Then the poo poo boxes would add something interesting while you wait for a good one.

The skin tint variant are just filler too. I've gotten multiple dupes and I barely have any of them to begin with :wtc:

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Andrigaar posted:

I really like this game, but the way it deals with headshots and lag seems to be trashy.

Would you rather shoot through players and miss?

Pinely
Jul 23, 2013
College Slice
I feel like McCree and Widow were designed to be forgiving for new players but as a result are too powerful with skilled players. Like, Widow's ROF, grappling hook, and ultimate let new players get away with sloppy aim and poor placement. But, in skilled hands all of that makes for a sniper that just totally outclasses Hanzo and even Bastion.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Last night as Genji I learned that landing all three M1 stars on Widowmaker's head does not kill her. I think I'm angry about that. The chances of landing all three stars on a head is low (unless I'm just real bad with them which may certainly be the case) and I think she should die. Also I was really angry at that Widowmaker so the problem was amplified.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Had a bunch of great games with goons last night, even when we got queued up against other pre-mades. Especially against other premades. Even when we were all kind of lousy up until the point when we weren't.

There really isn't a reason not to play with someone you can shoot the poo poo with, over Discord or mumble or steamchat or whatever. The Group XP bonus is just icing on the cake.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Also yeah McCree and Widow could stand to be tuned down a bit. There's counters for a bad widow, there's counters for a decent widow. But against a good widow, your only real option is to be a better widowmaker than her or to try to kill the rest of her team in a place where she can't get good shots off on you.

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000

teagone posted:

Lmao, no. POTG and the cards at the end of a match are there to showcase players who did something cool or played well from either team. You know how on SportsCenter they showcase top 10 plays and such? Sometimes those plays are made by someone on the losing team. Doesn't make what they did any less impressive. Same logic applies in yer vidya game ESPORTS shootmans.
Yeah but let's face it, most of the time the POTGs aren't really that impressive and involve someone pressing Q or a turret on auto-fire. It's just funny when a team pulls off a clutch play at the last minute to actually win the game, and the POTG is something that happened five minutes prior that ultimately had no effect on the outcome.

Linx
Aug 14, 2008

Pork Pro

Andrigaar posted:

The skin tint variant are just filler too. I've gotten multiple dupes and I barely have any of them to begin with :wtc:

I have nothing but anecdotal evidence to back this up with, but I'm convinced that the game differentiates between free boxes and paid. I get the exact same impression from having played Hearthstone since release. Either that or free boxes/packs are so spaced out that by comparison you seem to be getting nothing over a longer timespan?

:tinfoil:

All I know is that everytime I throw blizz :10bux: I seem to get better poo poo. I'm a loving sucker for their business model

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Reinhardt and 2 d.va on hanamura A is terror. D.va may not have a lot of damage, but two of them strolling through the gate nonstop firing behind the barrier sure makes everyone scatter

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?
Plays of the Game are extremely rarely impressive, and while I'm not sure what you could do to fix it, the On Fire mechanic seemingly being the decider for what is or isn't the PotG creates that endless loop of Junkrat RIP-Tire killing your pub team > Bastion in turret mode killing your pub team > Hanzo firing an ult that killed your pub team > Junkrat RIP-Tire

I mean, if it favored multikills that happened in the last 70 seconds of a given match/round, that would probably be fine? All I know is that if you're deliberately trying to get a PotG you're best served in solo queue picking something that very easily gets multikills and dies infrequently, which means Junkrat, Hanzo, and Bastion

Linx posted:

I have nothing but anecdotal evidence to back this up with, but I'm convinced that the game differentiates between free boxes and paid. I get the exact same impression from having played Hearthstone since release. Either that or free boxes/packs are so spaced out that by comparison you seem to be getting nothing over a longer timespan?

All I know is that everytime I throw blizz :10bux: I seem to get better poo poo. I'm a loving sucker for their business model

I hadn't opened a legendary from levels 1-25, bought the $20 24-pack of boxes, and promptly opened 6 legendaries. Confirmation bias and all, but Jesus it was nice to finally open something I wanted

Now if only they'd let you spend credits on player icons so I could actually get the Tracer/Soldier: 76 ones I want, instead of another one for loving Symmetra, I'd be psyched

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

Linx posted:

I kind of want to buy 24 more lootboxes but I've got more fancy skins already than I actually put into use. And 1000+ currency, but I rather wait for now and save some more. I didn't play close beta, but didn't they release a batch of new skins like once a month or so? I'd like a whole new category of 2000 currency skins with lower drop rate than legendary.

Linx
Aug 14, 2008

Pork Pro

guts and bolts posted:

I hadn't opened a legendary from levels 1-25, bought the $20 24-pack of boxes, and promptly opened 6 legendaries. Confirmation bias and all, but Jesus it was nice to finally open something I wanted

Now if only they'd let you spend credits on player icons so I could actually get the Tracer/Soldier: 76 ones I want, instead of another one for loving Symmetra, I'd be psyched

Personally I'd like to see an increase in the amount of credits for getting dupes. 1/5th the original value is dogshit. Given how low the chance is of getting a legendary in the first place, you'd think they'd offer more than 200 credits for getting the same skin again

Bolivar posted:

I kind of want to buy 24 more lootboxes but I've got more fancy skins already than I actually put into use. And 1000+ currency, but I rather wait for now and save some more. I didn't play close beta, but didn't they release a batch of new skins like once a month or so? I'd like a whole new category of 2000 currency skins with lower drop rate than legendary.

There's something disgustingly satisfying about opening boxes isn't there? I haven't heard of any new skins coming up but given how much money they're making blizz would be stupid not to

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

Linx posted:

There's something disgustingly satisfying about opening boxes isn't there? I haven't heard of any new skins coming up but given how much money they're making blizz would be stupid not to

Yeah I bought and opened 24 boxes each on day 1 and day 2 and it felt like making sweet love to a hooker :gary:

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

Linx posted:

For Hearthstone this has been disproved more than once, on reddit and elsewhere. There's no advantage in buying with real money vs buying with gold.

For OW I don't know but it'd be kind stupid of Blizzard to weigh the 2 boxes differently.

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

For :20bux: bought loot boxes you can open 10 in a row that are poo poo and you won't even mind because then the 11th and 13th or whatever will be great. But if you go 10 levels of playing the game and get nothing and you are actually hoping to get something nice, it will feel different I guess.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Linx posted:

I bought 5 loot boxes yesterday and didn't get anything above rare so I dunno

I'm surprised there's no option where they guarrantee at least one legendary if you buy the 10 box pack or whatever

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Bolivar posted:

For :20bux: bought loot boxes you can open 10 in a row that are poo poo and you won't even mind because then the 11th and 13th or whatever will be great. But if you go 10 levels of playing the game and get nothing and you are actually hoping to get something nice, it will feel different I guess.

This is true, because as you get to like level 30ish you need to start playing (and ideally winning) a lot of matches to earn a box; by having the XP curve grade up the way that it does, Blizz basically guaranteed they'll make money on loot boxes, because after a while you get so accustomed to opening the boxes every fifteen minutes or so that going for two or more hours without getting your digital drugs feels like a goddamn eternity

There's also a sort of basic elegance to monetizing their game in how you cannot buy specific things unless you get a lot of duplicates or a good legendary money drop, because I'd say of the friends I have who play Overwatch like... more than a half dozen? want just a specific item, like one thing, and will buy boxes until they get it or earn enough credits to get it, and then they start pining after the next thing they want

If Blizzard sold legendary skins solo for like $10 my friends would just buy those instantly, but since they don't, they constantly buy $20 worth of loot boxes to see if they'll finally get that Widowmaker skin they want so badly, and it's brilliant/horrifying in how effective it is - it reminds me a lot of a collectible card game, like Magic the loving Gathering

Samara
Jan 6, 2011

quote:

Deposited $150 at Mt Gox to try this Bitcoin thing out.

Stolen 6 days later. Really enjoyed my time there.

Helpful? Please donate - being this retarded ain't cheap!

Samara Investments
Basement Suite #101
Mom's House, Hometown FL
USAAA+
People are talking / bitching about "Play of The Game" waaayyyyy too much.

Maybe Blizzard should rename it to "Cool Play" or "Outstanding Play".

It's just supposed to be a sweet kill / Rez / Ultimate, stop taking it so seriously.

Samara
Jan 6, 2011

quote:

Deposited $150 at Mt Gox to try this Bitcoin thing out.

Stolen 6 days later. Really enjoyed my time there.

Helpful? Please donate - being this retarded ain't cheap!

Samara Investments
Basement Suite #101
Mom's House, Hometown FL
USAAA+

guts and bolts posted:

This is true, because as you get to like level 30ish you need to start playing (and ideally winning) a lot of matches to earn a box; by having the XP curve grade up the way that it does, Blizz basically guaranteed they'll make money on loot boxes, because after a while you get so accustomed to opening the boxes every fifteen minutes or so that going for two or more hours without getting your digital drugs feels like a goddamn eternity

There's also a sort of basic elegance to monetizing their game in how you cannot buy specific things unless you get a lot of duplicates or a good legendary money drop, because I'd say of the friends I have who play Overwatch like... more than a half dozen? want just a specific item, like one thing, and will buy boxes until they get it or earn enough credits to get it, and then they start pining after the next thing they want

If Blizzard sold legendary skins solo for like $10 my friends would just buy those instantly, but since they don't, they constantly buy $20 worth of loot boxes to see if they'll finally get that Widowmaker skin they want so badly, and it's brilliant/horrifying in how effective it is - it reminds me a lot of a collectible card game, like Magic the loving Gathering

I think I bought $150 in loot boxes so far. Ugh I hate you blizzard.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Andrigaar posted:

Hitreg is client side and "favors the shooter" so if you're missing headshots it's your fault.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I've bought 0 lootboxes and haven't been tempted to yet.

For reference I've spent well over 1k on league skins

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

I was gifted $40 to buy this game with by some random guy on the internet. I now have this game and love the hell out of it. One round as D.va had me hooked, holy poo poo. I love the weird, unique mechanics each character has, I haven't found one yet that isn't satisfying to play in one way or another.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Kashuno posted:

The mental health thread is in the Goon Doctor subforum.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
So what determines if the teams gets shuffled? I keep getting into these horrible losing streaks because after the first round, everyone gets mixed up and we have all the better players in one group that never loving changes.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Samara posted:

People are talking / bitching about "Play of The Game" waaayyyyy too much.

Maybe Blizzard should rename it to "Cool Play" or "Outstanding Play".

It's just supposed to be a sweet kill / Rez / Ultimate, stop taking it so seriously.

It isn't what it's called, it's that you have to sit and watch it and it's always boring. It didn't bother me at all earlier and still bothers me very little, but if you instead think of it as "at the end of every single game of Overwatch that you play, you have to watch Junkrat press Q, steer around, and then click, that's just part of the tax of playing Overwatch" it's easier to see why people get annoyed

I think losing teams should still absolutely have the ability to get the play of the game, and that people who are worried about who gets the play of the game should relax, but at the same time there are expensive items made to be purchased that only fire on plays of the game and it would be nice to see some of those other than the default Junkrat/D.Va/Bastion/Hanzo highlight intros so I also understand why people would be miffed

Samara posted:

I think I bought $150 in loot boxes so far. Ugh I hate you blizzard.

I'm at $30 in boxes but I have the two characters I like the most (Tracer and Soldier: 76) basically kitted out the way I want them to be, with my favorite sprays, voice quips, emotes, win poses, highlight intros, skins, etc. already unlocked

The problem is that I'm climbing in levels so now if I pick up a new favorite (Zenyatta is rapidly getting to that point, even if I think he kinda sucks) I'm gonna have to drop another $20 minimum to get that guy kitted out, and I'm dreading it and looking forward to it at the same time

I imagine this is what addiction feels like

Kashuno posted:

This made me laugh out loud irl, I don't know if that's what you were going for but holy smokes

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

guts and bolts posted:

This made me laugh out loud irl, I don't know if that's what you were going for but holy smokes

pretty much yeah. I have no idea what I actually spent on league but I imagine I don't want to know.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

apostateCourier posted:

I was gifted $40 to buy this game with by some random guy on the internet. I now have this game and love the hell out of it. One round as D.va had me hooked, holy poo poo. I love the weird, unique mechanics each character has, I haven't found one yet that isn't satisfying to play in one way or another.

One of the only issues I have with this game, genuinely, is actually how the opposite of this I feel, I feel like some heroes got a ton of attention and love to make sure they were absolutely balls-out amazing play experiences (Tracer) and some are just really, really boring (Lucio)

I don't actually care how the "fun to play" and "effective at winning" axes align, it just strikes me as kinda weird that you have this dichotomy between Fun Heroes and Less Fun Heroes and because I don't care about winning in Quick Play I will never not pick the Fun Heroes even if a Less Fun Hero might help us actually win the game

Lucio is the best illustration of this that I can think of

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Fortunately Lucio is fun for many, especially for those who think it is Fun to Win Games.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Tbf this game has the shittiest lootboxes I've seen in a while, 90% of the time you'll just get sprays, player icons or voice lines.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I tried a Lucio thing someone posted yesterday where you just jump down the Illios well and wallrun for most of the game + it was fun (and we won)

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

exquisite tea posted:

Fortunately Lucio is fun for many, especially for those who think it is Fun to Win Games.

Winning is fun, don't get me wrong, and I'm not throwing shade at people who play Lucio or win as Lucio or even think Lucio is fun, it just boggles my mind that people can actually enjoy playing as him as like a gameplay experience

His entire raison d'etre is to keep his team in LoS and to not die; his LMB seems strong to me which is good and fun and RMB is nice if you're playing people who don't account for it and let you toss them off the map on like Ilios etc., so I don't think Lucio is irredeemable garbage, it's just that the first part of this sentence is why I get super bored playing him, even if (usually especially if) we're winning

Wallride around to stifle the boredom, don't die, keep circling around, don't die, etc.

I haven't had to be on the other end of it - the Lucio end of it, I mean - but I have to imagine it's also super frustrating to have a Tracer or Reaper or Widowmaker or someone just consistently wreck your day over and over again, I usually dedicate most of my time as Tracer to diving healers or sticking ults onto Bastions or whatever and in my experience at my low-ish level, most of the enemy team will straight up ignore my existence and just accept that I'll probably kill some people before Recalling back out

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Agoat posted:

Hitreg is client side and "favors the shooter" so if you're missing headshots it's your fault.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTH2ZPgYujQ

Not only is it heavily favoring the shooter in most cases (exceptions typically being symmetra orbs or certain damage-mitigating abilities due to how certain things get prioritized in the server-side simulation and prediction) but they're also being very very very generous (again, to the shooter) with how much interpolation they're enforcing against latency but they're going to be cutting down on that interpolation part in the near future.

Basically, with how they are handling their shooter/target netcode balance, tickrate is typically a hollow complaint from people who can't hit a drat thing except when it's a hollow complaint from people who have crap internet.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Sometimes you just wanna chill and help your team win with the power of healing beats. I think Lucio is intentionally simple by design so that beginners who are maybe reluctant to play support have a hero who is effective just by existing on the map. It's cool and intentional that some heroes are like Lucio and others are like Tracer.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
The problem is when he is so strong that you basically have to have him on the team if you want a chance to win. He has nearly 200% pick rate on comp KOTH maps for one.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

guts and bolts posted:

I think losing teams should still absolutely have the ability to get the play of the game, and that people who are worried about who gets the play of the game should relax, but at the same time there are expensive items made to be purchased that only fire on plays of the game and it would be nice to see some of those other than the default Junkrat/D.Va/Bastion/Hanzo highlight intros so I also understand why people would be miffed

Losers do get POTGs, and I see a pretty good spread of characters earning a POTG. The only heroes that are underrepresented, in my experience, are Mei, D.Va, Winston, Zenyatta, and Lúcio.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

This game is pretty decent, however it is pretty funny how its just TF2 with a larger roster and abilities instead of weapons after all the project titan business.

Among Brink and that other one it seems like theres some law of the universe where if you try and reinvent multiplayer FPSes you end up with TF2.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

KOTH comps are all out of whack across the board so I think that has more to do with the current maps and format, like many stages having pits that Lucio can bump people off of. Also currently the only main healers in the game are Lucio and Mercy, so there aren't too many options there.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

It seems like the characters that get play of the game the least also happen to have the coolest highlight intros

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

exquisite tea posted:

KOTH comps are all out of whack across the board so I think that has more to do with the current maps and format, like many stages having pits that Lucio can bump people off of. Also currently the only main healers in the game are Lucio and Mercy, so there aren't too many options there.

Or that teams fail to switch from defense to offense quickly enough and just keep trying to bust into stuff like the third point in Nepal with Junkrat.