Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Any recommended Doom (and maybe Quake) level editors for OS X?

For Quake, try TrenchBroom 2. (Or 1 I guess, if you have problems with 2.) http://kristianduske.com/trenchbroom/downloads.php?platform=macosx

You'll also need compiler tools, probably these are best: http://ericwa.github.io/tyrutils-ericw/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3uIhBTK5f4

I just remembered that this exists and I'm losing my mind about it all over again. Dance! Dance, bonedaddy!

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CJacobs posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3uIhBTK5f4

I just remembered that this exists and I'm losing my mind about it all over again. Dance! Dance, bonedaddy!
Wow, I bet this still has better timing windows than Frets on Fire.

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

We must kill them. We must incinerate them. Pig after pig. Cow after cow. Village after village. Army after army.
What's the difference buckshot and slugs for the regular shotgun in Project Brutality?

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

Dolphin Fetus posted:

What's the difference buckshot and slugs for the regular shotgun in Project Brutality?
Same as it is in real life. Buckshot is effective at close range and when dealing with groups of enemies. Slugs are for dealing with single enemies at range. Specifically for PB, buckshot is generally far more effective unless you're sniping, and the slugs make for your best sniping weapon until you get the revolver.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Dolphin Fetus posted:

I'm going to assume you literally don't know the difference between 'buckshot' and 'slug'.

Buckshot shoots multiple small pellets. Slugs shoot a large, single round. So, as said, when you're going to use the shotgun for it's more famous close-range needs, you stick with buckshot. If you have an enemy at medium or greater distance, however, using slugs isn't a bad idea either to plink at them with.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Finally beat Deathkings of the Dark Citadel expansion. I'm really not even sure why the hell this expansion was even made, it doesn't really add anything new and the plot or what little there is, pretty much rehashes episode 4 and 5 of Heretic, except the ending is the exact same as Hexen. I don't get it. But thank God that's over, I only plan to revisit Hexen in the future with Serpent: Resurrection and Hexen 2 but it'll be a long while before I can bring myself to play that. Never touching the main game of Hexen 1 ever again.

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

We must kill them. We must incinerate them. Pig after pig. Cow after cow. Village after village. Army after army.

Morter posted:

I'm going to assume you literally don't know the difference between 'buckshot' and 'slug'.

Buckshot shoots multiple small pellets. Slugs shoot a large, single round. So, as said, when you're going to use the shotgun for it's more famous close-range needs, you stick with buckshot. If you have an enemy at medium or greater distance, however, using slugs isn't a bad idea either to plink at them with.

I don't actually. Never known much about real firearms and Doom is one of the only fps games I ever played growing up.

Morter posted:

I wasn't laughing at you for it. I was explaining why they'd work better at different ranges (because they shoot different things). Hope it helps :)

I know haha. I just felt kind of dumb. :) Thanks though!

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

I wasn't laughing at you for it. I was explaining why they'd work better at different ranges (because they shoot different things). Hope it helps :)

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I also did not know the distinction between buckshot and slugs, so TIL, I guess.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

One of the advantages of growing up in the American heartland, in a household with multiple guns.:cheeky:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Oh, I'm a city kid, I just love shotguns.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

In other news, a typo in GAF's Genesis Appreciation Thread made me realize this is something I might actually need in my life:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Shadow Hog posted:

In other news, a typo in GAF's Genesis Appreciation Thread made me realize this is something I might actually need in my life:

Oh my god, yessssss :toot:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
So, I'm playing through Doom 1 on UV all the way through for the first time.

E2M6 can eat my entire rear end.

e: It's not hard, but I've gone "OH COME THE gently caress ON" twice at it. I should have known there was another exit door behind the first exit door with a different key, but that fake exit is a straight up dick move.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I've never owned, operated or even held a gun and I've still played enough video games to know about shotgun chokes and buckshot vs. slugs.

Thanks, Jagged Alliance 2 v1.13. :v:

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

So, I'm playing through Doom 1 on UV all the way through for the first time.

E2M6 can eat my entire rear end.

e: It's not hard, but I've gone "OH COME THE gently caress ON" twice at it. I should have known there was another exit door behind the first exit door with a different key, but that fake exit is a straight up dick move.

I hate E2M6, but that key door is HILARIOUS.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Mr. Fortitude posted:

thank God that's over

Said everyone that ever finished playing Hexen. Good effort! I enjoyed your writeups as well.

Be sure to give Strife a shot, it's a much better game and frankly pretty impressive for the time. The version on Gog and Steam is really good as well, it's updated with some extra graphical features and levels and is pretty cheap to boot.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Convex posted:

Said everyone that ever finished playing Hexen. Good effort! I enjoyed your writeups as well.

Be sure to give Strife a shot, it's a much better game and frankly pretty impressive for the time. The version on Gog and Steam is really good as well, it's updated with some extra graphical features and levels and is pretty cheap to boot.

I remember it got absolutely shafted on release because of DN3D and Quake. But it does sound quite intriguing.

Just wish we could make some maps for that.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Shadow Hog posted:

This is awesome. But also reminded me, that a Bugs Bunny Doom was a TC in development by the author of X-Men: Ravages of the Apocalypse:

And speaking of animated ducks, also made this cool Quake model of Wildwing:

laserghost fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jun 1, 2016

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Lemon-Lime posted:

I've never owned, operated or even held a gun and I've still played enough video games to know about shotgun chokes and buckshot vs. slugs.
Mil-themed games and mods mean I know a whole lot more about types of firearms than I ever expected, or wanted to. What's worse is I even have "favourite" guns in games despite having never so much as held a hunting rifle. It's kinda creepy.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Convex posted:

Yup, I'm going to take a little break and then I'll get on Strife. I've heard of it as a proto-Deus Ex in some ways, so that sounds fun. Too bad I'll eventually have to do Hexen 2, even if I have heard it's a slightly better game than the first.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

laserghost posted:

And speaking of animated ducks, also made this cool Quake model of Wildwing:

I never particularly got into The Mighty Ducks (neither the film or the animated cartoon), but that is a fine model.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
I'd rather have a Scrooge McDuck game. I need a 3d swimable Money Bin in my life.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Mordja posted:

Mil-themed games and mods mean I know a whole lot more about types of firearms than I ever expected, or wanted to. What's worse is I even have "favourite" guns in games despite having never so much as held a hunting rifle. It's kinda creepy.

why is it creepy?

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Keiya posted:

I need a 3d swimable Money Bin in my life.

This can be...arranged.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

A.o.D. posted:

why is it creepy?

Because I have no interest in firearms irl and actually have a dislike of them (not trying to turn this thread into D&D or anything stupid) but then I'll play the latest Battlefield game and be all like "Oh yeah, this VSS Vintorez handles so smooth, hnnnnngh." :fap:

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
I sort of feel the same way. I like guns in games just fine and I even am 100% okay with responsible firearms ownership IRL. But if you were to give me a (loaded) one to hold, let alone try to shoot, the imp of the perverse would be right there on my shoulder reminding me that I was holding something that could turn a living human being's head into a bloody mess with a comparatively small amount of effort and I would feel extremely anxious as a result.

(I have never shot anything more threatening than a BB gun, and that not for something like 20 years.)

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

This might take awhile...

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

GlitchThief posted:

I hate E2M6, but that key door is HILARIOUS.

I legitimately didn't expect something like that in an official iD map. That seemed like a custom-map trick.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I legitimately didn't expect something like that in an official iD map. That seemed like a custom-map trick.

I learned from you, dad! I learned from you!

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I've been playing Quake 3 (against bots) using ioQuake3, and one thing I've been noticing is the weapon FOV is odd. At 1600x900, I can barely see them. While looking for a possible solution, I stumbled upon Spearmint, a Quake 3 source port based on ioQuake3 that lists fixed FOV as one of the bullet points. Has anybody tried it?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I didn't even know Q3 had or needed source ports

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Mak0rz posted:

I didn't even know Q3 had or needed source ports

The original engine can get a little janky with widescreen resolutions, afaik

e: also the silence status effect in DoomRPG/DoomRLA can go gently caress itself

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

My DUMP map is 100% laid out now, complete with a boss fight arena kind of thing at the end! I tried to use zero scripting whatsoever in making the map, which made creating the boss fight kind of hard, but through use of walk-over triggers I think I managed a good compromise. As you can see on the left hand side, I have a couple teleport-based monster closets. I took the Serious Sam approach with them and made it pretty obvious when there's gonna be a monster ambush. There are no custom assets aside from the music, which I'm fine with. I tried to keep it as vanilla as possible.

Map takes about 7-ish minutes to complete if you don't have always-sprint on, which I think is a pretty fair amount of time for a level with no backtracking involved. Overall, creating it so far has taken 9 hours, or 3-ish days of on and off work. Time for the decorating phase!

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Jun 2, 2016

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Well, I've finally finished Daikatana and, y'know what, it wasn't awful. It's not a lost classic by any means, and it makes a terrible first impression in what is probably the worst opening level in gaming history (and definitely the worst thing to release as a demo). That goddamn loving ugly swamp, with it's robomosquitoes, robofrogs and robogators is the low point of the game by far. It boggles the mind that Romero didn't cut it - especially as the story would make just as much sense if you started in the slightly better prison level.

Once you're clear of the first episode, which concludes with a really barmy fight against disembodied brains and teleporting monsters that fire psychedelic vision beams at you (these are never, ever explained), things settle into a straightforward 90s FPS vibe with the occasional pretty location. Each episode is so different from the rest (and contain their own mini-narratives) that they feel a bit like you're playing through a couple of innovative TCs for Quake II. You can tell that the level designers are talented, and some of the later bits of episode 3 feel like they could be from a Quake I sequel. Also, the Daikatana itself is a surprisingly fun weapon to use. I wasn't expecting much from a 90s FPS melee weapon, but when its powered up into a tacky neon disco stick, it's dead fun to sprint around the levels at Quake speed slicing apart enemies, or leaping through the air and timing your slash just right to take down two people as you land. The less said about the other weapons the better - at best they're dull (though there is a fun minigun) - at worst they'll kill you without warning. For example, I picked up a weapon that spawned friendly monsters and on its first use it telefragged me the moment I clicked fire.

Granted, the version I played was probably the absolute best the game could be. First of all I was on the 'Ronin' easy difficulty setting and second I used the 1.3 fan patch. This thing is a goddamn lifesaver: they've added HD resolutions, altered the maps to fix the pathing of the AI companions and removed the nightmarish sounding 'save gem' system. Superfly and Mikiko are still complete liabilities (the sight of a ladder eventually made my heart sink, as I knew it meant 5 minutes of carefully nudging them off and onto it), but I never got stuck for too long. Then again, the 1.3 patch maps noclip to the N button, which helps out with a lot when things get screwy (which is often).

While I know Romero is (or was) practically the template for gaming developer hubris, the main reaction I had towards him was pity. I can just imagine the Daikatana team in late 98 settling down to play Half-Life and realising with cold dread that pretty much EVERYTHING that they were working on was instantly old news. I know Ion Storm was a clusterfuck of epic proportions, but seeing HL change FPS forever while the hot young 'design is law' rockstars are stuck grinding through an obsolete game design can't have been good for morale. If, in a literal miracle most likely aided by an unjustly charitable John Carmack, this had come out as planned on Christmas 97 (in a state resembling fanpatch 1.3) it'd be regarded as a slightly disappointing but competent shooter. But by 2000 the 'find the blue key' level design was impossibly passe, as were Daikatana's non-existent enemy AI, crappily animated character models and narrative structure. Thing is, in 2016 you can put yourself in a 90s design frame of mind, especially if you're playing a lot of Doom/Quake beforehand, so all these archaic design decisions are a little more forgivable. Just keeping telling yourself you're playing a game from 97.

(I am equally amused and impressed at this attempt to do a speedboat chase in the Q2 engine)

If anyone hasn't played it, I'd recommend it if only as historical curiosity. I'd have liked to see how Ion Storm would have evolved given Half-Life as a target to beat, but I guess we'll never know. Kind of melancholically, the credits play out as a level with 'memorials' to the team (so. many. mullets.) and feels like a sad memorial to Ion Storm as a whole. Sure they were dickheaded fuckups of epic proportions who almost literally burned through money and goodwill, but at least Daikatana feels like a passion project rather than a focus-grouped corporate product.

RIP to your career you egomaniac.

And yes, your wife is hot.

But FUUUUUUCK these assholes.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

They never actually got married. Masters of Doom tries to end on a high note by mentioning how well John's new relationship was going, but then he torpedoed that too.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

CJacobs posted:

My DUMP map is 100% laid out now, complete with a boss fight arena kind of thing at the end! I tried to use zero scripting whatsoever in making the map, which made creating the boss fight kind of hard, but through use of walk-over triggers I think I managed a good compromise. As you can see on the left hand side, I have a couple teleport-based monster closets. I took the Serious Sam approach with them and made it pretty obvious when there's gonna be a monster ambush. There are no custom assets aside from the music, which I'm fine with. I tried to keep it as vanilla as possible.

Map takes about 7-ish minutes to complete if you don't have always-sprint on, which I think is a pretty fair amount of time for a level with no backtracking involved. Overall, creating it so far has taken 9 hours, or 3-ish days of on and off work. Time for the decorating phase!

Looks good. Might still be a little early for this question but are you going to balance the enemies around the different difficulties?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Casimir Radon posted:

They never actually got married. Masters of Doom tries to end on a high note by mentioning how well John's new relationship was going, but then he torpedoed that too.

Is that the girl he considered worthy of his companionship for besting him a battle of Quake?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackmarketlimb
Dec 27, 2005
Masters of DOOM is great, if only for the fact it gave me visions of a blank faced John Carmack watching VHS after VHS, scribbling into a notebook and trying to understand how mere humans interact and have emotions.