Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Epic High Five posted:

I swear I'm about to start posting replies to all these gorilla stories that are STILL spamming my Facebook feed with videos of silverbacks ripping screaming baby gorillas apart limb from limb and then eating them because they were the offspring of a different gorilla

Seen that one where it's zebras doing this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

DemeaninDemon posted:

Republicans want to take grandma out back and shoot her. :ssh:

Good Democrats don't give a poo poo, we want to win votes while also implementing evidence-based policies to make our friends money :ssh:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Paradoxish posted:

The great stuff that you're talking about also correlates strongly with demographic shifts away from the people who were opposing regressive and hateful policies in the first place, and in general seems to follow a general leftward march in US politics that's been happening for a little while now. I mean, I'd love to be optimistic, but so far a good deal of the research that's being done on this topic seems to say that the internet is actually making us (and my "us" I mean the average person, not silly goons) more insular and more prone to filter news through outlets that align with our existing political views.
I'm going to step back to this. This actually seems to be the normal state of affairs, historically. Newspapers were often comically biased and brazen about that bias, and of course newspapers were the best you could get. I believe the moderation and sense of some kind of unified national political outlook is going to turn out to be a historical anomaly caused by the economics of radio and television transmission and the relative peace and plenty of the post-war United States, rather than some kind of profound law or ideal state from which we have deviated or fallen.

Now of course people also had to go out and deal with others, which is perhaps on the decline now, what with all this home delivery of everything and also the lack of jobs. Whether this helped or hurt xenophobia I cannot say. Ol' :hitler: didn't seem much improved by his time in Vienna, for instance.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Nessus posted:

I'm going to step back to this. This actually seems to be the normal state of affairs, historically. Newspapers were often comically biased and brazen about that bias, and of course newspapers were the best you could get. I believe the moderation and sense of some kind of unified national political outlook is going to turn out to be a historical anomaly caused by the economics of radio and television transmission and the relative peace and plenty of the post-war United States, rather than some kind of profound law or ideal state from which we have deviated or fallen.

Now of course people also had to go out and deal with others, which is perhaps on the decline now, what with all this home delivery of everything and also the lack of jobs. Whether this helped or hurt xenophobia I cannot say. Ol' :hitler: didn't seem much improved by his time in Vienna, for instance.

It is a historical anomaly, caused by our unification behind electing Democrats and our hatred of all things nazi and communist. This is why I believe bi-partisanship can be restored in America if only we copied the successes of our nation past and nuked ISIL.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

My Imaginary GF posted:

It is a historical anomaly, caused by our unification behind electing Democrats and our hatred of all things nazi and communist. This is why I believe bi-partisanship can be restored in America if only we copied the successes of our nation past and nuked ISIL.

You're trying too hard again.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

My Imaginary GF posted:

Ted Cruz? Is that... is that you?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
ISIS is so crazy evil, it's a shame the world can't come together and wipe those dudes off the map.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

boom boom boom posted:

ISIS is so crazy evil, it's a shame the world can't come together and wipe those dudes off the map.

It's hard when your "allies" have a vested interest in keeping them around.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

boom boom boom posted:

If you can unite the entire loving world in hatred of you, like ISIL or the Japanese, maybe you loving deserve to get nuke'd.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
How do you propose we nuke an organization such as ISIL that extends beyond national borders? Hypothetically because we know you're full of poo poo.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

DemeaninDemon posted:

How do you propose we nuke an organization such as ISIL that extends beyond national borders? Hypothetically because we know you're full of poo poo.

I propose we obtain a United Nations Authorization for Nuclear Force against ISIL, and that we take ISIL at their word on the territory they control.

One loving nuke on Raqqa and ISIL is dead forever. Death to Al Baghdadi, the rapist of Syria, enslaver of women, caliph of the mongol horde.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ct3BsyF64gM

Hit the loving reset button and show terrorists we don't give a flying gently caress, they die now and they die always when we loving want them to. We're America, god damnit, if you are not with us in killing ISIL you are against us and are ISIL yourself, and death to loving ISIL.

My Imaginary GF fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Jun 2, 2016

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

DemeaninDemon posted:

tl;dr: With multiple warheads.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

why would anyone ever respond migf???

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Sloppy Milkshake posted:

I was curious about his answer. Sort of like watching a train carrying cars of poo poo and coal and coal poo poo crash into another train.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Nessus posted:

Remember the Maine! To hell with Spain!

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
The last page have made me question things I thought been settled once and for all. Questions like how did MIGF get off my ignore list?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Rincewinds posted:

The last page have made me question things I thought been settled once and for all. Questions like how did MIGF get off my ignore list?

Same

slumdoge millionare
Feb 17, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Rincewinds posted:

zdr cleansed the ignore lists to annoy the Bernouts.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Admins can take people off of everyone's ignore list apparently

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Sloppy Milkshake posted:

Goons just can't help themselves. See last month's thread and the ten-page toilet trolling incident.

GOONS

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Rappaport posted:

Goons just can't help themselves. See last month's thread and the ten-page toilet trolling incident.

GOONS

AC Slater the toilet so you have a convenient table for phone/tablet/book.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Doomtalker posted:

:laffo: most people would just be like "huh, must be a glitch or something reverting to an old backup" but I can imagine gangstalking-HAARP-chemtrail conspiracy theories being woven by the intended targets.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Doomtalker posted:

zdr for president

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Sloppy Milkshake posted:

zdr for president

Make the Word Filter Great Again

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

zoux posted:

Not nearly enough.

Pretty sure I asked this question in like third grade or something. Maybe all Rush needed was a teacher that wasn't a loving idiot.

Pellisworth posted:

Argh, gorillas and chimps are sibling or cousin groups, not our parents, that is now how evolution works.

Also: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sahelanthropus

Metal Gear?

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

DemeaninDemon posted:

Republicans want to take grandma out back and shoot her. :ssh:

Both of these posts weren't wrong

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Director of the Georgia ACLU quit because she thinks trans rights are "competing" with women's rights.

quote:

In a statement she accused the ACLU of being “a special interest organization that promotes not all, but certain progressive rights. In that way, it is a special interest organization not unlike the conservative right, which creates a hierarchy of rights based on who is funding the organization’s lobbying activities.”

Dillard Smith argues that transgender rights have “intersectionality with other competing rights, particularly the implications for women’s rights.”

“I have shared my personal experience of having taken my elementary school age daughters into a women’s restroom when shortly after three transgender young adults over six feet with deep voices entered,” she writes. “My children were visibly frightened, concerned about their safety and left asking lots of questions for which I, like many parents, was ill-prepared to answer.”

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Nice of her to admit to being a bad parent who isn't able to explain how people can be different and still get along.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
it's pc culture gone mad when i can't explain to my child "you don't need to be scared in the bathroom because of deep voices"

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
As if using a public bathroom as a child is always a totally chill experience anyways.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
Big Trans strikes again :argh:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I'm concerned that we're spending the last of our limited supply of crude rights on this issue. When we hit peak rights we'll really be in trouble.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

None of this would have happened if women's bathrooms adopted men's bathrooms' silence etiquette. Nothing needs to be said in a restroom, people.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
“I have shared my personal experience of having taken my elementary school age daughters into a women’s restroom when shortly after three transgender black young adults over six feet with deep voices entered,” she writes. “My children were visibly frightened, concerned about their safety and left asking lots of questions for which I, like many parents, was ill-prepared to answer.”

Its uncanny.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Good. gently caress her.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Can we filter "pc culture" and to "respecting other peoples' feelings" please tia

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

I met a traveller from an antique land
Who said: "Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
Stand in the forum. Near them, on the page,
Half crazed, a shattered visage lies, whose frown,
And wrinkled lip, and sneer of unchecked rage,
Tell that its poster well those passions felt
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless posts,
The hand that wrote them and the heart that feared:
And on the pedestal these words appear:
'My name is Arzymandias, king of fear:
Look on Mitt's polls, ye Mighty, and despair!'
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

Luminous Obscurity posted:

“I have shared my personal experience of having taken my elementary school age daughters into a women’s restroom when shortly after three transgender black young adults over six feet with deep voices entered,” she writes. “My children were visibly frightened, concerned about their safety and left asking lots of questions for which I, like many parents, was ill-prepared to answer.”

Its uncanny.

Arguing for trans rights with someone else, and I noted the same thing - replace the word trans with black and we're right back in the 60's. It's disconcerting to say the least.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Raerlynn posted:

Arguing for trans rights with someone else, and I noted the same thing - replace the word trans with black and we're right back in the 60's. It's disconcerting to say the least.

Any social issue, replace the word with Black and it will probably tell you which side of the argument you should be on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

TeenageArchipelago posted:

I met a traveller from an antique land
Who said: "Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
Stand in the forum. Near them, on the page,
Half crazed, a shattered visage lies, whose frown,
And wrinkled lip, and sneer of unchecked rage,
Tell that its poster well those passions felt
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless posts,
The hand that wrote them and the heart that feared:
And on the pedestal these words appear:
'My name is Arzymandias, king of fear:
Look on Mitt's polls, ye Mighty, and despair!'
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

GBS did say we should all post in iambec meter - this is a great start.

• Locked thread