Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
yeah the VIZ releases are night and day compared to these scans sometimes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

I've been rereading the Greed Island and Ant Arcs recently, and I noticed some things that weren't well thought out.

The first one is that I think Biscuit should have been the one to take on the Bomber, given her experience and strength.

The second is that the three of them trained a certain scenario in which Gon leads the Bomber into a secluded area with a trap floor. The assumption is that they were the ones that would chose their opponents, when in reality it was the Bomber that made that call. He does mention to his allies that he wanted to fight Gon, so it works out anyway. But still, that was an unforeseen scenario. The Bomber could have just as easily chosen Killua, who had no counter to Little Flower.

A third thing is that the Spiders wanted that nen removal ability, but the guy had already used it to remove the bomb from himself. He had to fulfill the condition of removal (touching the Bomber and saying "I caught the bomber") before he could help Chrollo. This is such an important thing to the Spider that during the 3 weeks Gon and co spent preparing to fight the Bomber, the Spider should have made their move first, captured the Bomber (with ease) and the arc would be over.

With the Chimera Ant arc, I think the Dragon Dive during the invasion of the palace was all wrong. Why would the team move in at exactly midnight, and then the lances hit? Better to time the lances to hit first, and than a millisecond after, everyone goes through the portal. That kind of confusion among allies is exactly the kind of thing that could have ruined their plan. There's even that bit about how God's Accomplice might have strengthened after death so nobody would find Knuckles and the geckos dead bodies if they were hit. It was a good scene to show how fast Gon is at thinking on his feet but not a good scene from a planning perspective since supposedly everything was planned to a T to allow for as little room for error as possible.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the spiders and hisoka were absolutely not equipped to capture genthru alive while he was on greed island. anywhere else, sure. but on greed island he was a master.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Lpzie posted:

I've been rereading the Greed Island and Ant Arcs recently, and I noticed some things that weren't well thought out.
I haven't actually read this arc! But one thing to keep in mind is that your are reading this as an unbiased observer and you have good information on what's going on on both sides. Meanwhile the characters in the story have (i assume) much at stake, are under loads of pressure and have much less information than the reader. I guess what i'm saying is a really good writer will intentionally have their characters make mistake under pressure, so don't get too hung up on characters, even given three weeks, making plans that aren't tactically optimal. See: current fight where Hisoka knowingly falls into traps because he just does not have enough time to think before poo poo hits the fan.

Jvie
Aug 10, 2012

Lpzie posted:

The first one is that I think Biscuit should have been the one to take on the Bomber, given her experience and strength.

Personally I got the impression that she could have just personally clowned the whole gang after hulking out. Her whole MO was pushing Gon and Killua to test their limits.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
She's one of the top Hunters in the series, even if her Masseuse isn't useful in direct combat.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Serious Frolicking posted:

the spiders and hisoka were absolutely not equipped to capture genthru alive while he was on greed island. anywhere else, sure. but on greed island he was a master.

yeah he was sufficiently good as a hunter to mean he'd be able to escape using cards unlike most of the other people on greed island

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Lpzie posted:

A third thing is that the Spiders wanted that nen removal ability, but the guy had already used it to remove the bomb from himself. He had to fulfill the condition of removal (touching the Bomber and saying "I caught the bomber") before he could help Chrollo. This is such an important thing to the Spider that during the 3 weeks Gon and co spent preparing to fight the Bomber, the Spider should have made their move first, captured the Bomber (with ease) and the arc would be over.

I don't think they even knew about this stuff. Hisoka had not gotten in contact with Abengane until after he had gotten the nen removed if I recall.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

No, the timings were the other way around. Hisoka made contact immediately after the dodgeball match, which was 3 weeks before the Gon vs Bomber fight.

As for combat abilities, Greed Island spell cards were only for stealing/targeting/protecting ally/enemy cards/information/location. I think the Spiders could have taken the Bomber out really easily since they still had the element of surprise on their side. Sure, once the Bomber caught on that he was being hunted he'd have to start burning through Accompany's and Return's (although this one would led to an ambush since it always takes you to the same spot outside the city) to escape.

On another note, I just finished the Ant Arc, my first time doing it all in one go, and it honestly is amongst the best arcs I have ever read in any manga before. Which is weird since when I read it during HiatusXHiatus, it still felt good but not so much so as when read together.

Lpzie fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jun 2, 2016

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
ant arc is tight in everything. Tone, pacing, action and world-building

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
The second half is.

The first half still feels like a bit of a slog to me.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The King also has a heel turn but really not like three times.

Pouf falls for it every time.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Can someone explain why assassins are even trying to pass the Hunter Exam? I feel as if I missed something.

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm
I think Illumi needed one for a job he had, Hisoka for murderboners shits and giggles. Shalnark got one for access to the hunter info website.

Having a license gets perks around the world like access to almost every country or easy money like Gon's bank loan in Yorknew and Leorio's college tuition. Doesn't seem strange to want one for the perks.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Even just selling the thing nets you enough money to live in comfort.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

But why was it such a big deal in the past 2 arcs (election and boat ride) to weed out the assassins from the exam? I always felt like being an assassin in the HxH world wasn't as frowned upon as it is in our world.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Lpzie posted:

Can someone explain why assassins are even trying to pass the Hunter Exam? I feel as if I missed something.

You can usually get away with killing if you have one.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Lpzie posted:

But why was it such a big deal in the past 2 arcs (election and boat ride) to weed out the assassins from the exam? I always felt like being an assassin in the HxH world wasn't as frowned upon as it is in our world.

I don't think they're weeding out assassins as much as weeding out the liars for the boat trip. They're wary of Beyond Netero's group, and aware that spies might try to infiltrate the Hunter Association when they're trying to prevent Beyond from doing what he wants.

It just so happens that the assassins / bodyguards hired by the princes are also caught up in the crossfire, since some of them are also lying about their purpose.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Plus I think it's mentioned that the hunter exams were notoriously loose mainly because of the previous chairman.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Reform of the exam was one of the things that Teradin and the Seirin group campaigned on.

And yeah, Hisoka wanted the license because it renders you immune from prosecution a lot of the time.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I'd like to think for all they disagreed on, Netero and Pariston were likely united on the death gauntlet issue.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
The Hunter Exam is fine. The kind of lives Hunters lead, anyone that can't pass the basic competency test that the exam is is gonna be loving dead in about three days after getting their licence anyway.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah Gon himself agrees to heal the Bombers because the Hunters the Bombers killed knew what they were getting into.

Killua himself points out that he's actually even worse can he killed innocents and the weak.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons
New chapter: http://readms.com/r/hunter_x_hunter/356/3441/1

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Oh, so it's not the seals that blow up, but rather the body of the person carrying the seals, including any detached parts (such as, say, a lopped-off head). :ms: I guess.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

i just like hisoka, and hate chrollo more for each passing chapter. goddamn chessmaster dork he is

i'm joking, but i want hisoka to slug him realllllly hard at least once

Wild Horses fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jun 2, 2016

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe

Wild Horses posted:

i just like hisoka, and hate chrollo more for each passing chapter. goddamn chessmaster dork he is

i'm joking, but i want hisoka to slug him realllllly hard at least once

I don't know how you can hate a guy when the culmination of his multi-faceted, chess master plan is just straight up chucking dudes at his opponent.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

yeah it's an impressive fight for sure, would just be sad if hisoka died in a suicide bombing without even punching chrollo once

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7l_x9R6yAxQ

Hisoka's theme rocks

Wild Horses fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jun 2, 2016

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
I'm like mildly worried about Hisoka pulling out a hitherto unknown trump card relating to his nen powers with that line. "...if I'm going to die anyway" almost always involves a trump card.

But this is togashi so it should be against the usual trope.

Either that or bungie-gum super shield to reflect the blast back at chrollo.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Justice For Gotoh

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Crain posted:

I'm like mildly worried about Hisoka pulling out a hitherto unknown trump card relating to his nen powers with that line. "...if I'm going to die anyway" almost always involves a trump card.

But this is togashi so it should be against the usual trope.

Either that or bungie-gum super shield to reflect the blast back at chrollo.

He's got nothing left to lose, so now he's going to use the power of both gum and rubber.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I doubt Hisoka will pull out a completely unknown trump card but it'll probably be some clever and previously unforeseen property of rubber or gum.

Or maybe Texture Surprise.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jun 2, 2016

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

He's had texture surprise over Chrollo's eyes this whole time and has him trapped in some sort of VR nightmare.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Gyges posted:

He's got nothing left to lose, so now he's going to use the power of both gum and rubber.

ImpAtom posted:

I doubt Hisoka will pull out a completely unknown trump card but it'll probably be some clever and previously unforeseen property of rubber or gum.

Or maybe Texture Surprise.

I can't really believe just how much I still love that loving joke. If Hisoka dies here that's what I'll miss the most.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
It's very simple. He's a transmuter, we saw in one frame he was covering himself in aura defensively. Bungee gum has both the properties of rubber and gum. He's 'sticking' all the damage he's taking into his aura using its gum like abilities, but he's then going to 'bounce back' the damage using its rubber-like abilities.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Lpzie posted:

I think it's just because she wants to "refine" Gon and Killua into better fighters. Genthru was another test for them just like Binolt (a person who could have killed the two of them had he not been injured prior). Biscuit subscribes to the school of hard knocks.

quote:

The second is that the three of them trained a certain scenario in which Gon leads the Bomber into a secluded area with a trap floor. The assumption is that they were the ones that would chose their opponents, when in reality it was the Bomber that made that call. He does mention to his allies that he wanted to fight Gon, so it works out anyway. But still, that was an unforeseen scenario. The Bomber could have just as easily chosen Killua, who had no counter to Little Flower.
You already answered your question. Genthru had marked Gon since the two of them had all the verbal exchanges. If I remember they also used accompany to land themselves near the trap location and then Biscuit and Killua used copied, and hidden accompany cards to split the group further. Genthru walked into the trap even if he dictated when he triggered it.

quote:

I think if we look at how the Spiders acted after York Shin it makes sense. As long as the Chrollo has judgement chain on his heart going after Kurapika could result in a curse manifesting. The same is true for Abengane, if they killed Genthru and his ability manifests into a curse it could undo or overpower the exorcism causing him to die and losing them his ability.

Other than that I just think Togashi didn't want them to be a part of that encounter. Genthru was the "final boss" of Greed Island and Gon's fight so they didn't interfere.

Tonfa posted:

Justice For Gotoh
I know it won't stick but I'll pour one for Coin Butler.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Hisoka texture surprised himself as the body he picked up for his new head flail and vice versa then used bungee gum to finely manipulate it while remaining hidden himself.

Fight is not over until texture surprise has been played is my opinion.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i like how unconcerned hisoka is that he lost a foot and a hand

also i realise that while most hunters don't have a huge amount of nen abilities and Hisoka is closer to enhancement than materialisation it doesn't really feel like its come out of nowhere if he uses a different skill. this is the first time we've seen him fight anybody who would require anything more

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
I don't care about this fight at all and hope it's over very soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i think you're reading the wrong manga. the hiatus starts when this fight ends and then we never get any more