Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Agents are GO! posted:

I noticed none of those are Brhuce Hammar and they all should be. :colbert:

He made this into a quest in Brhuce Hammar.

Is your back better yet I'm reallllyy selfishly waiting for you to make a new op. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Mostly. I've got a wedding to attend this weekend then I'll try and get it more finished.

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit
I don't know why I read some thing with Arthmoor posting in it for like the last hour but holy poo poo

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

Alright I got 90% of the way through STEP, then decided it didn't do enough poo poo.

Then I got 90% of the way through SRLE minus the titty and erect cock mods, then decided it didn't do enough poo poo.

Then I got 90% of the way through SRLE:Extended and decided I want to go with SPERG+Ordinator.

It's been a busy couple of weeks.

For MorrowLoot Ultimate patches, I'm assuming I want to grab the SPERG one, not the Ordinator one?

Regarding Vigor: I understand it started off as a pretty simple combat mod, but I feel like it's ballooned into a bunch of bullshit recently. The stuff I like the sound of is AI enhancements and timed blocking. Don't Combat Evolved and Ordinator cover these?

Also CACO and CCOR seem to throw a wrench in getting stuff to work well together.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

Propagandist posted:

Alright I got 90% of the way through STEP, then decided it didn't do enough poo poo.

Then I got 90% of the way through SRLE minus the titty and erect cock mods, then decided it didn't do enough poo poo.

Then I got 90% of the way through SRLE:Extended and decided I want to go with SPERG+Ordinator.

It's been a busy couple of weeks.

For MorrowLoot Ultimate patches, I'm assuming I want to grab the SPERG one, not the Ordinator one?

Regarding Vigor: I understand it started off as a pretty simple combat mod, but I feel like it's ballooned into a bunch of bullshit recently. The stuff I like the sound of is AI enhancements and timed blocking. Don't Combat Evolved and Ordinator cover these?

Also CACO and CCOR seem to throw a wrench in getting stuff to work well together.

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/75522/ SPERG+Ordinator patch for CACO. I use the TEST version.
CCOR doesn't really throw a wrench in anything. CACO does.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

I am really... deeply troubled by what has transpired here over the past couple days. Tried to make a point about how people ought to be nicer to each other, and the overwhelming response has been "gently caress YOU!" That conversation really went all the way over the goddamn swingset. My whole perspective is flipped, and now I'm weirdly tempted to pack up my poo poo and follow Wyrmstooth guy into ex-modder oblivion. What I'm gonna do instead is just say, peace out to the 10 Hours Modding crew...

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

That's really too bad dude.

Edit: but honestly, I have to say I'm not seeing the "gently caress YOU" in the last couple of pages unless you're getting lovely private messages.

Agents are GO! fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Jun 2, 2016

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Nerd Of Prey posted:

I am really... deeply troubled by what has transpired here over the past couple days.

Just coming outta nowhere to say I actually agree with what youre saying, but fuckin :lol: at this post/name combo

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

Nerd Of Prey posted:

I am really... deeply troubled by what has transpired here over the past couple days. Tried to make a point about how people ought to be nicer to each other, and the overwhelming response has been "gently caress YOU!" That conversation really went all the way over the goddamn swingset.

I'm not trying to be rude or anything, but there's definitely a reason some people react so staunchly to comments of banning access to mods. I'm not talking about the comments people usually throw around about it being a modification of a game or whatever, but because of a community and a certain mindset involved with it. Modding has become more accessible to more people, and as such the community creating those mods is shifting. It's easy to see similar things happening in say, the overall ROM hacking community. Basically, a divide is forming between the people who play the mods and the old guard of modding, and the newer modders who want that level of control over what they make.

There's TONS of people who play mods who are much more used to the idea of open and free modding, DOOM wads and the like, so when this sort of stuff comes up there's a ton of backlash. I agree with some people that modders definitely need more control over their mods, or even potentially the ability to monetize them somehow (look at source mods) but to me banning a user from even accessing your mod is overstepping bounds a little bit. You are basically blocking that person from being able to use something you have put up publicly and free for everyone else, and in my opinion there are much better ways to handle negative comments about you or your mods than not letting someone use it. Yes it sucks that people are negative but it's the internet, no-one is ever going to be positive on the internet thanks to anonimity. Though I guess this might be more a complaint about the Nexus' system, where you can't just block some rear end in a top hat from spamming comments and have to block them from the mod altogether. Maybe we need a platform that isn't completely rear end but Nexus has too strong of a grip at this point I think.

I wrote a ramble about how I've been in the SMW hacking community for a long time and about how Minecraft modding and Fire Emblem hacking are poo poo but I deleted it since it ended up going way off what I wanted to say.... I think some of it still applies here though, and that's mostly that some modding communities are unfortunately just poo poo (seriously gently caress the fire emblem hacking community it is goddamn awful).

Alasyre
Apr 6, 2009

Nerd Of Prey posted:

I am really... deeply troubled by what has transpired here over the past couple days. Tried to make a point about how people ought to be nicer to each other, and the overwhelming response has been "gently caress YOU!" That conversation really went all the way over the goddamn swingset. My whole perspective is flipped, and now I'm weirdly tempted to pack up my poo poo and follow Wyrmstooth guy into ex-modder oblivion. What I'm gonna do instead is just say, peace out to the 10 Hours Modding crew...

That sucks, I hope you reconsider. hothtrooper44 used to post here a bit and I remember him getting aggravated at some SA posters attitude towards modders and soon after stopped posting here. For what it's worth I agree with a lot of what you're saying.

I do think it's a bit weird that both you and Elianora have mentioned jonx0r, since he didn't leave mad (just obscurely) and will probably be back once he has a steady income.

Alasyre
Apr 6, 2009

Banana Man posted:

I don't know why I read some thing with Arthmoor posting in it for like the last hour but holy poo poo

Uhhh you'd be crazy too if the spectre of The State loomed over your freedoms 24/7/365.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Nerd Of Prey posted:

Tried to make a point about how people ought to be nicer to each other, and the overwhelming response has been "gently caress YOU!"

Never change, goons.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

poptart_fairy posted:

Late, but thank you for this. Clean slate Skyrim gives me a lot to work with.

Glad to help! :)

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

Tyty posted:

I wrote a ramble about how I've been in the SMW hacking community for a long time and about how Minecraft modding and Fire Emblem hacking are poo poo but I deleted it since it ended up going way off what I wanted to say.... I think some of it still applies here though, and that's mostly that some modding communities are unfortunately just poo poo (seriously gently caress the fire emblem hacking community it is goddamn awful).

You could post it in the Awful Mods Thread, it sounds kinda interesting and I'm sure awful modding communities discussion would be welcome too.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
I just got another email with the subject line "gently caress You' I think I'll just ignore it like the thousands I've gotten before. :)

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I sat out the poo poo slinging match of the past few pages but I will post this once to say Nerd of Prey is right. I may not be the only one who knows this but didn't want anything to do with getting involved in the poo poo slinging.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
to be entirely honest i'm actually curious to see if there's a single mod author who doesn't agree with nerd of pray

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Eric the Mauve posted:

I sat out the poo poo slinging match of the past few pages but I will post this once to say Nerd of Prey is right. I may not be the only one who knows this but didn't want anything to do with getting involved in the poo poo slinging.

They are right but you don't get to control access to the material you put up on the internet, no matter how badly you want to and whatever the rules say. Blocking someone like Nexus does just means you force the sides to where you are on one side and the person you blocked is on the other, and they now have a reason to be mad. Then, they are just going to make a new account and do it all again and the nexus solution has solved exactly dick. The way Nexus handles it is bad and allows an easier way to drive the divide between players and mod makers when they start out as the exact same group. Rules are cool and good but since there is no way to actually enforce the rules in any meaningful sense it's just a bunch of posturing and ego clashing. The real solution is to not be dicks to each other but classically there is always a few giant dicks that gently caress it up and set precedence. We all remember the oblivion gate crisis and that sort of poo poo sets the tone for how people think mod makers are. Then, you have super-asses that harass mod makers which then sets the tone for how someone who makes mods might think their players are.

Really I am once again going to point the finger at the Nexus and how their moderation policies are stilted.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Foxhound posted:

You could post it in the Awful Mods Thread, it sounds kinda interesting and I'm sure awful modding communities discussion would be welcome too.

Oh my god, that was the proest of pro clicks.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Propagandist posted:

Most of SRLE is graphics and sound stuff, why wouldn't you be able to throw SPERG+Ordinator in there and leave out the glaringly obvious incompatible stuff?

Also why is CACO good? It fills my inventory with 10000 potions of varying levels of "eh" and needs like 10 compatibility patches.

KakerMix posted:

I just got another email with the subject line "gently caress You' I think I'll just ignore it like the thousands I've gotten before. :)

nah dude you got 3k that means you have to quit and take down your mods

Nerd Of Prey posted:

lmao grow a pair
02 reg date and my brother with spina bifida has more of a spine than you

e: yeah dude "people ought to be nicer to each other" or else they'll get banned from viewing the mod :mmmhmm: NO NEGATIVE FEEDBACK COMMENT REMOVED

mbt fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jun 2, 2016

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Mortimer posted:

Also why is CACO good? It fills my inventory with 10000 potions of varying levels of "eh" and needs like 10 compatibility patches.

I had fun messing around with CACO but I made a character pretty much just for that purpose, I probably wouldn't use it on a playthrough that I didn't intend to focus on alchemy/cooking a lot. I enjoyed the novelty of having new things to gather and brew up.

The inventory clutter is more manageable by doing whatever process it was that standardizes your user-made potions at some cost to strength but at the time I was playing I'd run into issues where a potion that did something kind of non-standard would just convert into a poison so some potion clutter was unavoidable. I haven't tried it since I lost my install so that may not be a problem anymore, dunno.

Alasyre
Apr 6, 2009
As the author of three small, insignificant mods, the worst I had was two people making feature requests for something they hadn't even downloaded yet. Also, one person gave me a small lecture on making mods as efficient as possible, which was not something that I disagree with in principle, but the script they were complaining about was literally 3 lines using the most common script activation in the game. I can see how getting this 80 times over might be a pain in the rear end, especially if I had tied my Nexus profile to other social media (a bad idea, IMO).

Alasyre fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jun 2, 2016

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

Mortimer posted:

Most of SRLE is graphics and sound stuff, why wouldn't you be able to throw SPERG+Ordinator in there and leave out the glaringly obvious incompatible stuff?
That's a great question - I don't know enough about what it would or would not be compatible with to answer. That's primarily why I brought it up. I haven't played Skyrim since before the first DLC, so I'm new to Skyrim modding. In F:NV, I generally just built things around Project Nevada since that seems to be the go-to overhaul (and it owns). It seems to me like things can be more "modular" in Skyrim.

I am definitely going with SPERG+Ordinator, but I'm not sure about CACO. CACO seems to be pretty popular, but I've never really done much with alchemy or cooking, and you're right about it having fuckloads of compatibility patches to deal with.

Still not sold on Vigor, though. I've read that the other combat overhauls either have things that bloat your save and potentially cause corruption/instability (Duel or Deadly Combat) or are incompatible with FNIS (Ultimate Combat), so that kind of pigeonholes me to Combat Evolved alone or CE+Vigor. At least until EnaiSiaion puts out Swordfall.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Nerd Of Prey posted:

Tried to make a point about how people ought to be nicer to each other, and the overwhelming response has been "gently caress YOU!"
You're absolutely right, people ought to be nicer to eachother.
However, the problem is that we're talking about the Nexus and its hugbox culture. That "be nice to eachother" gets translated into "you're only allowed heap praise upon the modder-gods and pet their egos and anything that can in any way be perceived as negative will get you banned".
That's what the people who are disagreeing with you are shaking their fists against.

Maybe you'll never read this, but I'll just copy past the same thing I said to hothtrooper44 when he had the exact same argument with this thread:
People do have the right to criticize your work and in my opinion you should welcome criticism. If it's some lame "I don't like this"-style comment, you can dismiss it and ignore it. But if they instead took the effort of posting why something doesn't work, or give suggestion on how to improve it, you ought to take a step back and look at your work to see if they have point.
That's how you improve yourself and your work and it's also how normal, well-adjusted people deal with criticism and non-ego-stroking comments in general, both on the Internet and in real life.
If you dismiss criticism on the basis that the person giving it is not "an artist" or "they haven't released a mod", then you're just being dishonest to yourself. It's an excuse for why you don't want to deal with criticism and examine your own work, nothing else.

Don't get me wrong: I can completely understand getting fed up with your users and wanting to shut them out. Having to deal with dumb people who just friggin refuse to read readmes is one of the reasons why I don't bother with releasing mods anymore. But don't think that shutting yourself out from all criticism is not a good thing.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jun 2, 2016

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I'm just gonna continue to never make comments on mods and not have to worry about being blocked - I think that mod authors should have the right to block people from downloading their mods, even though I know many just block criticism instead of actual bad comments.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

I can't help but feel as if a lot of people are talking past each other here.

A lot of this discussion seems to boil down to mod makers talking about not wanting to be constantly exposed to toxic people, which then gets framed as them not being able to handle any level of criticism.

Which happens because the mod makers posting here gets treated as "acting representatives" of "the modding community", and as such are automatically branded with all the associated stereotypes of that group. And since one of those stereotypes is being unable to handle criticism, that invalidates any complaint they have about it.

And while yes, there are some mod makers who are very bad at dealing with negative feedback of any kind, they are a very visible minority, at least from what I've experienced. Don't brand a group by its loudest members.

Mind you, that's not the case for all, or most, of the user-side arguments, there's been quite a lot of reasonable ones as well.

I think the lesson from all of this is that the Nexus needs to offer mod authors more options than "just deal with it" and "completely ban them from using your stuff".

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jun 2, 2016

END CHEMTRAILS NOW
Apr 16, 2005

Pillbug

The Iron Rose posted:

to be entirely honest i'm actually curious to see if there's a single mod author who doesn't agree with nerd of pray
I don't really, but it's not a big deal to me. On the other hand I've never had trouble with the people commenting on my mods, so that probably colors my viewpoint in a way. I was also much more involved with the DOW modding scene than with Skyrim, so I'm used to authors being a lot more open with their mods.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

The Iron Rose posted:

Yo, right here. Nerd of Prey's a cool dude(tte? not actually sure) but I disagree with a great portion of his(?) argument, but that's because I'm a cathedralist.

While I agree that a remarkable percentage of the Elder Scrolls modding community seems to be chill, the fact of the matter is that there's a core cadre of people who are, for lack of a better term, loving toxic, insane, and tolerated. The fact that, when the USKP had the save-file-killing soul trap bug, Arthmoor's reaction at the time was to get lovely with the person who brought it up because they had the gall to not preface it with slobbering praise, and this behavior is tolerated, and new modders see that it's okay to act like a dick.

It's the fact that, during the Mod Picker fiasco, the argument was made that mod authors should have complete control over the mere discussion of their mods on other forums (the exact example was it was only right that Hoth should be able to shut down discussion of Immersive Armors on any forum, no matter the location) and there was not significant pushback against this argument (NOTE: It was not Hoth making this argument.)

It's the fact that during the same fiasco, a big concern was basically "the ignorant masses shouldn't get to comment on mods", this being only the most recent example I've personally seen of a really lovely flavor of nerd-elitism that's rightfully died out most other places.

It's the fact that the Nexus modding community is so intellectually inbred, so locked inside it's own bubble huffing its own farts, that the big-name modders Bethesda picked for their paid mods debut were totally blindsided by and unprepared for the reaction of the internet at large, when I am convinced that if you took the time to explain the situation to, say, some tribesman who'd never seen electricty before, they could have correctly predicted the outcome there.

It's the fact that I feel constantly on my toes when I post on the nexus, because I'm never sure exactly when I'm going to cross somebody and get banned for reporting a bug.

And finally, it's the fact that, and I'm sorry Nerd of Prey and Hoth, but it seems as soon as it's clear that a lot of people don't agree with the Smaug-like proprietarian attitudes a lot of mod authors seem to show, you guys just leave rather just agreeing to disagree.

Alasyre
Apr 6, 2009
I agree with Agents are GO!. I'd like to add that mod authors are basically like mods themselves; you should watch and wait to see if the mod author is a nutcase before speaking to them as you would watch and wait to see if a mod is a turd. Most mod authors are cool, but some of the shittiest are also some of the most prolific and involved. I imagine this is because if you have a single mod to your name and are an rear end in a top hat, no one really cares.

Chesko is an example of someone who handles mod drama pretty well. During the paid modding debacle, he was probably tempted to pack up and take his poo poo with him, but didn't, and he handled the criticism (which I think was somewhat deserved) and anger thrown at him very well. Arthmoor, on the other hand, is a big baby. However, it's not really worth letting him know this, and he has done a great deal of good for the Bethesda modding community, but has also had a negative impact. Elianora, the person who touched this off, probably should have scaled back her personal involvement in modding and partitioned it off from her other online activity. She's a modding machine, and while I think she hosed up along the way, I do feel some sympathy for her.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Nerd Of Prey posted:

This is the most pathetic thing I've ever read lmao

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

The Iron Rose posted:

me :mrgw:

Greaseman
Aug 12, 2007

Nerd Of Prey posted:

I am really... deeply troubled by what has transpired here over the past couple days. Tried to make a point about how people ought to be nicer to each other, and the overwhelming response has been "gently caress YOU!"

Condensing everything that's been written by people who disagree with anything you're saying into "gently caress YOU!" is a pretty good metaphor for how modders sometimes react to things like constructive criticism or bug reports.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

what do yall put in your mod readmes?

mine are always some variation of "merge this in, edit it, rerelease it, rehost it, credit me or don't, I don't care"

pro tip mod for yourself 1st and 4most and you'll never have to worry about mod users ever again :thumbsup:

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
I name them readme.txt so it gets overwritten by other mods/impossible to actually find

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Mortimer posted:

what do yall put in your mod readmes?

mine are always some variation of "merge this in, edit it, rerelease it, rehost it, credit me or don't, I don't care"

pro tip mod for yourself 1st and 4most and you'll never have to worry about mod users ever again :thumbsup:

I would never do that, if people were able to download my mods anywhere then they wouldn't have to go through my homepage where I can count page views. Also I couldn't make everyone go through 5 layers of Ad.fly to get to the download.

Whenever someone disagrees with me on the internet I send a DMCA notice to their YouTube channel :twisted:

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

Oh neat, looks like MorrowLoot has its own small alchemy overhaul. I'm gonna drop CACO and just go with CCOR, WAFR, CCF, and SPERG+Ordinator.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Average Bear posted:

I name them readme.txt so it gets overwritten by other mods/impossible to actually find

Do you store them in RTF format too?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Morrowloot seems really cool but every time I fully mod out my Skyrim I'm too burned out to actually play it, and then the next time I feel like playing a combination of computer issues and new shiny mods cause me to fully remod Skyrim again, after which I don't feel like playing it, so I have yet to experience its wonders.

Alasyre
Apr 6, 2009
What's the mod that adds a spell which restores the original location of statics?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Modders sure love to take their ball and go home

Cup Runneth Over fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jun 3, 2016