Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Cojawfee posted:

What if they did test it with a carefully curated BBC test audience.

FACT top gear did well in those curated test audiences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

wargames posted:

FACT top gear did well in those curated test audiences.

the audience consisted of chris evans and his family

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

logikv9 posted:

the audience consisted of chris evans and his family

Noted Top Gear fan Stewart Lee recently complained about BBC productions allowing staff to scooping up the bulk of tickets to desirable audience shows so yes, this is probably entirely true.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Cojawfee posted:

What if they did test it with a carefully curated BBC test audience.

It probably would've been worse.

The thing is, the show is completely salvageable and there was always going to be haters nitpicking every minor issue but that first episode was extremely rough around the edges and they would've saved themselves alot of embarrassment and headache by not sorting through the show's teething problems in the public eye. Pretty much every criticism I have of the show at the moment can be addressed in some way through post production and fixed by the end of this series.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

I wonder what bottle of scotch Kim shillingaw is up to after the reviews and ratings came in?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Yes the problem with episode 1 is the editing lol.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

fyodor posted:

Yes the problem with episode 1 is the editing lol.

You could edit Evans out

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

1500quidporsche posted:

It probably would've been worse.

The thing is, the show is completely salvageable and there was always going to be haters nitpicking every minor issue but that first episode was extremely rough around the edges and they would've saved themselves alot of embarrassment and headache by not sorting through the show's teething problems in the public eye. Pretty much every criticism I have of the show at the moment can be addressed in some way through post production and fixed by the end of this series.

The only way to fix Evans in post is enough stamps to get the box he will be sealed in to the North Pole.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Chris Knight posted:

Well the previous lot did that episode with their mums, I'm sure this could work as well.

God that ep was so goddamn :3:

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
As an aside, sending Rory to Sabine's Canadian Saloon and Piggie Farm was fabulous. :allears:

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Wasabi the J posted:

God that ep was so goddamn :3:

Yes :3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qLZMKpWsjk

edit: I love the use of the Monday Night Football theme.

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jun 1, 2016

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

ApathyGifted posted:

Kansas is flat, but tilted. It's one long slope leading up to the Rockies.

That's what I have to keep telling people when people talk about kansas being flat...

Now I want to roll a bowling ball from west to east...

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

sbaldrick posted:

You could edit Evans out

It'd be like that Phantom Edit of the first Star Wars prequel where they completely got rid of Jar Jar and the movie was like half as long. Fine, just give us a solid half hour of Sabine and Leblanc doing something fun.

Scottw330
Jan 24, 2005

Please, Hammer,
Don't Hurt Em :(
drat, you all are harsh on Evans. I thought the first episode was decent! It would never compare to Clarkson/Hammond/May, but I was definitely entertained and I'll watch again.

Maybe it's because I had never heard of Evans before, so maybe he comes with a reputation I'm unaware of.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Scottw330 posted:

drat, you all are harsh on Evans. I thought the first episode was decent! It would never compare to Clarkson/Hammond/May, but I was definitely entertained and I'll watch again.

Maybe it's because I had never heard of Evans before, so maybe he comes with a reputation I'm unaware of.

I was unfamiliar with him too so you can imagine how bummed I was to see the episode and go "I hate it when the internet is right."

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Scottw330 posted:

drat, you all are harsh on Evans.

We're not being harsh enough.

Tsuru
May 12, 2008
Thanks to whoever pointed out extra gear, it was pretty good! The interview together with Harris was sincere and actually fun to watch, and this is coming from someone who skips 95% of SIARPC segments in old top gear. I look forward to more of Rory and Harris and less (none) of the bespectacled twerp.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
The only bad thing really about Extra Gear was that it was too short.

Edit: Oh and Evans with his arm around Sabine at the beginning. Just looked creepy and pointless.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'm really dreading having to watch The Grand Tour on amazon's video service. Watched Preacher on it this week and I had to try the apps on three devices before one let me choose the language, and even with subtitles off it had them for on-screen text. And it used Silverlight.

Incidentally, first stop is Johannesburg.

Astroclassicist
Aug 21, 2015

Oooh, first stop of the Grand Tour is Joburg.

I look forward to inevitable safari shenanigans.

dk2m
May 6, 2009
I couldn't even finish the new episode, someone said it earlier but it's so painfully scripted without chemistry that it hurts. Even what could have been cool like a Z06 vs Viper shootout was just pointlessly dramatic without any of the humor or stake.

Plus the bumbling American jokes was just too much. Leblanc is the straight guy and needs someone convincingly dickish or funny to play off of, Evans comes across as trying to be all 3 at the same time. Just doesn't work.

Extra Gear was awesome, the Nomad bit was cool because it was different seeing a review without much post-processing. I really did feel the sense of madness watching that clip.

dk2m fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Jun 2, 2016

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

MrOnBicycle posted:

Edit: Oh and Evans with his arm around Sabine at the beginning. Just looked creepy and pointless.

Especially as he is a creepy dude IRL.

You'd also think that New TG would be extra-careful to avoid any potential issues such as sexism and so they didn't even manage to do that.

My Lovely Horse posted:

I'm really dreading having to watch The Grand Tour on amazon's video service. Watched Preacher on it this week and I had to try the apps on three devices before one let me choose the language, and even with subtitles off it had them for on-screen text. And it used Silverlight.

It's been suggested that the new show should have been called 'Let's be honest, you're watching a torrent'

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

Scottw330 posted:

Are you serious or just trolling? If you're serious then I gotta know what about Evans' presentation you actually enjoyed.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Scottw330 posted:

Chris Evans account spotted

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
It is funny to me that most of the complaints people have about the new show are exactly what made the old show so dull so I can't even imagine how bad it must be

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

captainOrbital posted:

I liked the new track format, with the rallycross-style jumps and mud driving. I thought it was interesting.
The thing is slow, and by having a wildly inconsistent track surface, you can't say "you're the fastest 'round our track".

SIRPC is typically a fun interview, with embarrassment or excitement about the lap. They could talk about the line, and driving technique. The conversations were deeply awkward, and entirely driven by scripted Chris Evans questions.

I used to enjoy it. It was cringe-worthy throughout.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Imagine Chris Evans asking Rupert Grint if he was nursing a semi kissing Emma Watson. All wiping his palms on his trousers and licking his lips and genuinely wanting to know is the picture I'm getting.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

CornHolio posted:

Chris Evans account spotted

Nah, if it was his account there would be a lot more FACTS in his posts.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Nerobro posted:

The thing is slow, and by having a wildly inconsistent track surface, you can't say "you're the fastest 'round our track".

SIRPC is typically a fun interview, with embarrassment or excitement about the lap. They could talk about the line, and driving technique. The conversations were deeply awkward, and entirely driven by scripted Chris Evans questions.

I used to enjoy it. It was cringe-worthy throughout.

It's not even reasonably-priced. How much does that Mini go for?

And what genius put a man with not one but two La Ferraris on the same couch as someone who own a bicycle and expect to get a decent joint interview out of them?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

spog posted:

It's not even reasonably-priced. How much does that Mini go for?

And what genius put a man with not one but two La Ferraris on the same couch as someone who own a bicycle and expect to get a decent joint interview out of them?

Probably the vile enemy Chris Evans, who is also the reason that we will have a bad harvest this year.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
So with this new rally course for guests, won't that just drag dirt all over the regular track and hinder the Stig's traction? Are they actually going to hose the track down and brush the dirt away each time, or do they shoot the stig bits when they review the cars all before the studio bits with the guests happen? I know previously sometimes they'd do the filmed car reviews then the stig would get the same car in a different color to race so I assumed they don't always happen at the same time.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

So how will they do Stig times in new hypercars? Around the rallycross track?

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

The non-interview laps still seem to be on the old track.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Nill posted:

The non-interview laps still seem to be on the old track.

Yeah but its got a shitload of dirt all over it now so they'll have to clean it a lot more by the looks of it.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

All laps are now wet laps.

spog posted:

Couldn't quite put my finger on why the new interview format is bad, but that's done it. Clarkson always talked to guests eye-to-eye, whether they were into supercars or didn't have a license, and he'd tease people about their car choices in a way they could share in the laughter. By contrast, the way Evans needled Eisenberg to say yes to increasingly high-end Porsches came across like "look at this car scrub, he's not part of the Cool Car Guys Club like Gordon and me."

Old Top Gear did interviews to have people on the couch, new Top Gear does interviews to have cars on the wall.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Nerobro posted:

Tell that to the dudes with (W) next to their names.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

fyodor posted:

So how will they do Stig times in new hypercars? Around the rallycross track?
That would be pretty cool, though.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
I'm really struggling to understand how anybody even made a case for Evans in the first place.

"He's a serial workplace sexual harasser nobody likes, and an unfunny rear end in a top hat, and unattractive, and has no discernible talent at anything, but by the letter of the law he's not literally a pedophile, so..."

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

sean10mm posted:

"He's a serial workplace sexual harasser nobody likes, and an unfunny rear end in a top hat, and unattractive, and has no discernible talent at anything, but by the letter of the law he's not literally a pedophile, so..."

Oh but you see he likes cars and Clarkson likes cars so they are the same ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

BigPaddy posted:

Oh but you see he likes cars and Clarkson likes cars so they are the same ok.

He hasn't yet convinced me that he genuinely likes cars. What does he daily drive? Can he get his hands dirty? Can he talk about anything other than "ZOMG THIS SPOILER?"

edit to flesh this out a bit more:

With Clarkson, Hammond and May, they genuinely liked cars. You knew what kind of car each of them preferred. And it wasn't even something you gradually came to know - remember the very first episode with James May, they started with him reviewing his very own Bentley.

Even with Top Gear US, you quickly got a sense of what kinds of cars each of the presenters is into.

It's only been one episode, so hopefully we'll quickly figure it out, but I'm not yet convinced any of them (except Sabine) is into cars at all other than collecting them.

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jun 2, 2016