Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Cowardice. Stand by your gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I stood by it for an entire main game + HoS playthrough. Enough is enough.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

jneer posted:

I challenge someone to get a worse ending in B&W than my Geralt, goddamn.

Syanna's dead. Detlaff's alive. Anna hates my guts with the fury of a thousand angry chihuahuas. Geralt goes to prison, literally drops the soap and gets the poo poo beaten out of him by three guys that I beat up earlier in the game. He barely avoids execution and proving Syanna wanted to murder Anna only makes Anna more mad. I've never felt like such an abject failure in a game.

how the gently caress did you manage that? haha

Mine was
Syanna is alive and in tower prison forever.
Detlaff is dead.
Geralt gets the highest honor in Toiussant awarded to him because he stopped the Beast.
Anna still wants to try and reconcile with Syanna even though I brought her evidence she was to be the 5th victim.
Regis has to leave Toiussant because all the other vampires hate him for killing Detlaff.
Then Geralt retires to his vineyard and Yen shows up so they get their happy ending :3:.
Basically it turned out pretty great, except for poor Detlaff. I wonder if you can save him without pissing off Anna.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Jun 2, 2016

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Bought this game months ago on a Black Friday sale, finally decided to start it up a few days ago.

I'm in the area after White Orchard now, just killed a few of the Baron's goons after they started talking about raping a girlish-looking boy (or a boyish-looking girl) and the game actually gave me a cutscene for doing that, is this gonna bite me in the rear end later on?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

CharlestonJew posted:

Bought this game months ago on a Black Friday sale, finally decided to start it up a few days ago.

I'm in the area after White Orchard now, just killed a few of the Baron's goons after they started talking about raping a girlish-looking boy (or a boyish-looking girl) and the game actually gave me a cutscene for doing that, is this gonna bite me in the rear end later on?

You wont be able to go directly into the Baron's place but outside of that no. You'll find another way to get there.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
I am glad you guys like Equine Phantoms, it's one of mine.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Megazver posted:

Actually, turns out I didn't need to. There is a mod for having one set of gear on and looking like you have something else on: AMM - The Appearances Menu Mod

This is Geralt wearing the Griffin Set now:

That's a real tempting mod. The set bonus on the Grandmaster Griffin set looks crazy awesome but then I'd have to wear the Griffin set.

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

I am glad you guys like Equine Phantoms, it's one of mine.

Could have given us more time :(

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

WirelessPillow posted:

Could have given us more time :(

There was originally a design for the decoction to be reusable, allowing you to talk with her anytime you wanted, but it was super outside of scope and overbudget.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
For those who played Equine Phantoms, may I ask how you found it? It's intended to be moderately hidden, with the ! only showing up when you are already pretty close.

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
Haven't found Equine Phantoms yet, but got through the main story. In my first ending, I managed to get Syanna, Detlaff and Anna Henrietta all killed. :ohdear:

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

For those who played Equine Phantoms, may I ask how you found it? It's intended to be moderately hidden, with the ! only showing up when you are already pretty close.

Explored question marks, found the hermit's hut on the way.

By the way, discovered that Grandmaster Wolf Armour (should perhaps have been "Lupine") doesn't actually require the step below (master-crafted) as an ingredient. This and the Manticore are the only ones for which this is the case. Why not simply allow all the armours to be constructed this way? And it would be useful if alchemists had the same functionality as the armourer where you can simply buy a missing ingredient from them without going back to the shop screen.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Kopijeger posted:

Explored question marks, found the hermit's hut on the way.

By the way, discovered that Grandmaster Wolf Armour (should perhaps have been "Lupine") doesn't actually require the step below (master-crafted) as an ingredient. This and the Manticore are the only ones for which this is the case. Why not simply allow all the armours to be constructed this way? And it would be useful if alchemists had the same functionality as the armourer where you can simply buy a missing ingredient from them without going back to the shop screen.

I guess it's only like that because Wolven was part of the free DLC program and some people might not have downloaded it.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Meta-Mollusk posted:

Haven't found Equine Phantoms yet, but got through the main story. In my first ending, I managed to get Syanna, Detlaff and Anna Henrietta all killed. :ohdear:

You guys gotta post what you did to arrive at these endings

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Azazell0 posted:

Even after clearing almost all ?'s in the base game, I'm still missing 6 superior oils. Ogroid, Vampire, Relict, Insectoid, Cursed and Necrophage. Do these have fixed locations or am I just unlucky as hell? Can I just buy these from somewhere now?

You could try Gremist if you haven't already, though I'm not sure whether he sells those particular recipes. I assume you've done the Practicum in Advanced Alchemy?

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Annual Prophet posted:

You could try Gremist if you haven't already, though I'm not sure whether he sells those particular recipes. I assume you've done the Practicum in Advanced Alchemy?

For some reason oil recipes are only random loot drops and are never sold by any of the vendors. It's the one thing I wish they would change.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Grandmaster cat set sucks until you realize wearing any piece of headgear will make Geralt put the hood down, so you can run around in the professor's specs and look great.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Helith posted:

For some reason oil recipes are only random loot drops and are never sold by any of the vendors. It's the one thing I wish they would change.

Vendors do sell oils, I remember buying them from the herbalist close to novigrad and in bouclair's vendor once I arrived to start doing GoW

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Helith posted:

I might be wrong but I'm pretty sure I just bought some oil recipes from a random vendor in BaW.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

That mission to go to the bank and pick up some cash was loving amazing.

That long shot of Geralt and the other dude just sitting in awkward silence on the bench was hilarious.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Best looking combination of clothing in the game. Hands down.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

How come the grandmaster griffin steel sword requires a legendary feline silver sword? :psyduck: Wasted all my gold making the wrong drat sword to get my grandmaster piece :(

Brumaldo
Jun 29, 2013

The grandmaster schematics seem to be pretty wonky. I crafter the Wolven set and it didn't use up the mastercrafted bits. Didn't even use up anything else, since nothing was missing from my inventory. Huh.

Anyway, ending talk, I'll tell you what I got and how.

Both sisters survived and reconciled. The autistic vampire died.
I took Syanna to see Detlaff: first thing he tried to do was skewer her, but she survived thanks to the ribbon.
Speaking of which: do everything in the land of fables, and I do mean everything, that bit is most likely to screw you up. Also, read the diary and pay attention to it.

Anyway Detlaff went apeshit after Syanna disappeared, had to be put down. Does anybody know how not to get murdered by bats? First time in the whole game I had to use White Raffard's decoction.
After all that was said and done, I went with Regis to find out that the Duchess was supposed to be the last victim. Confronted Syanna about it, I guess I was kinda sympathetic towards her. Told her to talk with her sister and whatnot, instead of being a giant bitch.
Warned Damian about it, but I chose not to tell Anna. When asked for my opinion I was still sympathetic towards Syanna; the sisters embraced, the end!
In retrospect I don't think Syanna deserves an happy ending, although I suppose you do need to stop the killing at some point. Ugh.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
I guess I'm moving more slowly in B&W than most. I stumbled on the Paperchase sidequest which is your standard fantasy game fetch quest, except it's all bureaucratic forms in a bank with lazy employees. Geralt's reactions are just priceless.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I'm a clerk myself and Paper Chase is fairly accurate, yes. Inconvenience is the paper-pusher's greatest weapon against the assholes of the world.

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

Helith posted:

You can buy a lot of oil recipes from vendors. Keira Metz, the vendor on Temple Island in Novigrad, and the herbalist outside of Oxenfurt all sell low level recipes and I think some upgrades as well. Gremist sells higher level recipes I believe.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I guess it's only like that because Wolven was part of the free DLC program and some people might not have downloaded it.

Are you kidding me I wasted 2 hours last night rounding up all the wolf gear in preparation...

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Speaking of the Grandmaster Wolven set, is there a good reason to ever use its three-oils-at-once set bonus? Are there new, general-purpose oils in B&W, or is this just a convenience feature or something?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Harrow posted:

Speaking of the Grandmaster Wolven set, is there a good reason to ever use its three-oils-at-once set bonus? Are there new, general-purpose oils in B&W, or is this just a convenience feature or something?

There are a couple of fights I've been in, in B&W that have mixed monster types. I guess it would be handy in those situations. Pretty niche and probably mostly for the convenience though.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
I was able to find most of the superior oil recipes by following a guide with exact locations. The only one that didn't work for me was superior insectoid oil, which I had to buy in Touissant, but all of the others were exactly where it said they would be.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

I'm a clerk myself and Paper Chase is fairly accurate, yes. Inconvenience is the paper-pusher's greatest weapon against the assholes of the world.

I'm doing this now and the payoff better be worth it in the end.

I would've hoped for an option to end the break by kicking in the door, though.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

There are a couple of fights I've been in, in B&W that have mixed monster types. I guess it would be handy in those situations. Pretty niche and probably mostly for the convenience though.

I guess it's a decent convenience feature but it seems pretty weak compared to the Griffin set's bonus (though maybe that fight-in-the-Yrden bonus is weaker than it sounds).

I also guess it probably doesn't matter that much once the super-powerful mutations are factored in :v:

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I'm finally leveled into the 20's. I have so many Witcher Contracts in my backlog... :(

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Oxxidation posted:

My father gave me his old ford a few years back, and we were at the DMV, along with my grandfather who was paying the taxes for the transfer. The guy in front of us was being a total rear end in a top hat, and in return it took them about 45 minutes to have their request handled, and in the end they didn't have the proper paperwork, to which they acted even more assholish, and for some reason they got back in line, maybe to do something else? who knows. Anyway, we get up there, we are polite, our paperwork is in order, EXCEPT we forgot to get an odometer reading, and we rattle off a guess. The lady was thrilled we were being so polite, she noted that we were really supposed to have an official reading, but due to the circumstances she would just permit our educated guess.

The rear end in a top hat sees this and starts into a full blown meltdown and we just stared at him as security removed him.

I've just learned to respect the bureaucrat, and that quest was funny for it.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I'm finally leveled into the 20's. I have so many Witcher Contracts in my backlog... :(

All you get from them is a fun quest and a sword that's not as good as witcher gear swords. No worries, just go do them and enjoy. I know a few people who deliberately left them all till after the main story to do at max level just for kicks.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Is there a workaround for the bonus skill slots not unlocking? I should have 2 and the unused skills are kinda bugging me :v:

------

Nevermind, you gotta activate a mutation before it gives you an explanation and lets you use them.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Cnidaria posted:

You can buy a lot of oil recipes from vendors. Keira Metz, the vendor on Temple Island in Novigrad, and the herbalist outside of Oxenfurt all sell low level recipes and I think some upgrades as well. Gremist sells higher level recipes I believe.

Either I've been very unlucky or bugged because in my game I have never seen an oil recipe at a vendor. Plenty of bomb, potion and decoction recipes, but never an oil one. I'm missing about 3 superior recipes. Maybe a patch changed things.
Which vendor in Toussaint? The alchemist I found in the city only sold formulas for changing mutagens and not the oils I'm missing.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Harrow posted:

I guess it's a decent convenience feature but it seems pretty weak compared to the Griffin set's bonus (though maybe that fight-in-the-Yrden bonus is weaker than it sounds).

I also guess it probably doesn't matter that much once the super-powerful mutations are factored in :v:

Nope, fight in yrden thing is ridiculously powerful, especially once you get the mutation that allows you to literally spam standard signs for no stamina.

e:Wait a second that's not even a mutation, that's the three piece bonus for Griffin armour! Yeah it's OP as gently caress.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jun 2, 2016

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Jack Trades posted:

Best looking combination of clothing in the game. Hands down.
What armor is that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

New Moon.

[Edit]You can find it while looking through the points of interest added by Hearts of Stone.